• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Week 1 |OT| Offseason's over. Back to #TALKINBOUTTHENOLES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balphon

Isn't 8 conference games the norm? Most of the time the OOC schedule is the first 4 games, then the conference the rest of the season. It's pretty normal to not have to play an OOC game late in the season. Obviously there are some exceptions due to tradition for rivalry games I guess.

Pac plays 9. Big 12 also since they do round robin. Not sure on the others

Pac, Big 10, and Big 12 play 9. SEC and ACC play 8 (as do all of the group of 5, afaik).

cdyhybrid

Split up the Big 12, go to four sixteen-team superconferences. Nine conference games, one OOC creampuff, one G5, one P5 (although I guess it would be P4 in this case).

andycapps

I said before the game I don't like early games between top ranked teams. The likelihood you're ready to play at your best is next to nil. Alabama comes out of last night looking good because of the win, but playing that game is just dumb. Play a cupcake to find errors, then play a middling opponent to work those errors out, and then start playing real competition week 3. If college football had preseason games, it would be different. (But they obviously shouldn't, too much risk to an already uncompensated player.)

It should be like FBS G5 -> FBS P5 lower tier school -> FBS P5 legit team. Week 1 is also where you can schedule your FCS opponent charity game, should you have one.

ESPN will just have to get over it when I rule the sports world.

I agree. I like warm-up games.

Let's limit this discussion to The Power 4 conferences.
5Opui.gif

Eh, I disagree. You can get hurt playing anybody, and aren't even more likely to get hurt playing against an equal opponent than you are lesser ones.

Playing lesser opponents early only protects your record, which may be huge for some folks but I honestly prefer knowing about my team early on. I know my squad has work to do but was still pretty damn good against what should've been a top 4 team in the country before their QB went down. So long as they don't lose focus and are lucky with injuries, the entire season through to Auburn (maybe LSU) feels like a bit of a breeze now.

Injuries are not really relevant to my point (just a joke start off point with the Georgia QB injury), which is all about being ready to play your best. I don't care how much you practice, you're going to be better in week 2 than week 1, and better in week 3 than week 2. Losses in college football cost too much to risk one when you're not ready to go.

Florida State was not ready to go last night, and Alabama could have played better, too. If this game was week 5, the outcome might be the same (or worse!), but at least both teams would know who they are at that point.

Not a fan of big games in week 1. Have never been except when Ohio State loses.

andycapps

Injuries are not really relevant to my point (just a joke start off point with the Georgia QB injury), which is all about being ready to play your best. I don't care how much you practice, you're going to be better in week 2 than week 1, and better in week 3 than week 2. Losses in college football cost too much to risk one when you're not ready to go.

Florida State was not ready to go last night, and Alabama could have played better, too. If this game was week 5, the outcome might be the same (or worse!), but at least both teams would know who they are at that point.

Both teams looked bad on offense. Bama's defense was able to force some errors and give the ball to their offense in some good situations.

Francois' injury is probably more long term than Eason's from what it looked like. Could really debate whether Francois should have even been in the game at that point anyway.

Both teams looked bad on offense. Bama's defense was able to force some errors and give the ball to their offense in some good situations.

Francois' injury is probably more long term than Eason's from what it looked like. Could really debate whether Francois should have even been in the game at that point anyway.

I really don't feel like it was bad offense as much as it was a quality and depth of defense we don't see much of in college football on both sides.

andycapps

I really don't feel like it was bad offense as much as it was a quality and depth of defense we don't see much of in college football on both sides.
Playing a great defense certainly had something to do with that. But when your starting QB is under 100 yards passing, it's not a great offensive showing. He had about 50 yards rushing so that's a positive thing.

Better to know who you are early than to feel yourself for 5 weeks because you haven't played anyone. See Georgia 2015. Feasted on a bunch of nobodies, thought they'd knock Bama out of the playoffs, and then proceeded to get their shit kicked in at home.

Not sure your argument makes much sense. Everyone knows it's typically better to lose early anyways. Florida State's special teams are typically an adventure, and Alabama's special teams outside of FG's are typically really good at turning a game around. I don't think last night's result had much of anything to do with it being week 1. They just lost.

Edit: Terrell Lewis and Christian Miller, two of our LB's, are out for the season. Fuck.

Better to know who you are early than to feel yourself for 5 weeks because you haven't played anyone. See Georgia 2015. Feasted on a bunch of nobodies, thought they'd knock Bama out of the playoffs, and then proceeded to get their shit kicked in at home.

Not sure your argument makes much sense. Everyone knows it's typically better to lose early anyways. Florida State's special teams are typically an adventure, and Alabama's special teams outside of FG's are typically really good at turning a game around. I don't think last night's result had much of anything to do with it being week 1. They just lost.

Edit: Terrell Lewis and Christian Miller, two of our LB's, are out for the season. Fuck.

I'm just of a different mindset. There's no good time to lose. Ever. If you lose once, you have no control over your destiny. Go undefeated and shut down any argument. With that in mind, don't play anybody out of conference. I mean, seriously. Just don't do it. Naysayers can go argue with a brick wall as long as you're sitting there 13-0 at the end of the season. If you have to play anybody out of conference, at least play them when you are more likely to be playing well, which is not week 1. It's a gamble. If you are lucky enough to be less sloppy than the team you're playing, then it's a winning gamble, but the loser can only hope for other teams to stumble and for them to get by on beauty points.

As an ACC guy, I don't expect for teams to get the benefit of the doubt an SEC team would, but then, Clemson lost last year, late in the season, in fact, and still made the playoffs. So things might be changing. On the other hand, my memory could be hazy, but that year when Ohio State lost to Virginia Tech in week 1 (a game that told us nothing about either team, as it turns out), it took Ohio State until literally the very last week to get into the top 4 in the CFP poll. If things go different with the Big XII, maybe they don't get in at all.

So my main outlook is the same: go undefeated, which also means never put yourself into a position to play a tough game before you've sorted out all the bugs.

Breaking: #FSU QB Deondre Francois suffers season-ending knee injury

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sp...eason-ending-patella-tendon-injury/630005001/

damn hate to see that.

Expected. When he was coming off the field but especially when you saw him coming out of the tent and getting on the cart, you knew it was over, and so is Florida State's season.

Breaking: #FSU QB Deondre Francois suffers season-ending knee injury

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sp...eason-ending-patella-tendon-injury/630005001/

damn hate to see that.
Congrats to Clemson for winning the Atlantic I guess?

but seriously.. I hope he feels better and gets healthy.. that hit was rough.

On the other hand, my memory could be hazy, but that year when Ohio State lost to Virginia Tech in week 1
Week 2 Randy.. we played Navy week one. And did not look great..

Congrats to Clemson for winning the Atlantic I guess?

but seriously.. I hope he feels better and gets healthy.. that hit was rough.

Week 2 Randy.. we played Navy week one. And did not look great..

In that case, my post is invalidated.

MogwaiCole or whatever your name is, you win this round. I salute you, sir. Salute!

bpfd

I'm just of a different mindset. There's no good time to lose. Ever. If you lose once, you have no control over your destiny. Go undefeated and shut down any argument. With that in mind, don't play anybody out of conference. I mean, seriously. Just don't do it. Naysayers can go argue with a brick wall as long as you're sitting there 13-0 at the end of the season. If you have to play anybody out of conference, at least play them when you are more likely to be playing well, which is not week 1. It's a gamble. If you are lucky enough to be less sloppy than the team you're playing, then it's a winning gamble, but the loser can only hope for other teams to stumble and for them to get by on beauty points.

As an ACC guy, I don't expect for teams to get the benefit of the doubt an SEC team would, but then, Clemson lost last year, late in the season, in fact, and still made the playoffs. So things might be changing. On the other hand, my memory could be hazy, but that year when Ohio State lost to Virginia Tech in week 1 (a game that told us nothing about either team, as it turns out), it took Ohio State until literally the very last week to get into the top 4 in the CFP poll. If things go different with the Big XII, maybe they don't get in at all.

So my main outlook is the same: go undefeated, which also means never put yourself into a position to play a tough game before you've sorted out all the bugs.

Expected. When he was coming off the field but especially when you saw him coming out of the tent and getting on the cart, you knew it was over, and so is Florida State's season.
I know it's splitting hairs but we lost to the Hokies in week two. Stuggled to beat Navy week one that year.

ag-my001

My wife is wondering why the UCLA logo isn't all capitalized. I had never really thought about it. Any west coast fans know the story?

That doesn't make any sense. Your team isn't the only team playing better in later weeks; other teams generally are too. If you're gonna play a good team, you just...play a good team. Injury luck is the only factor that might make you better off than a good team later on, but it might also fuck your team instead.

So you either play a good OOC team to try and measure your team against a quality opponent or you don't and give yourself no margin for error to try and go undefeated in the regular season. The timing doesn't really matter all that much.

On Francois and FSU, I know it's not likely, but FSU's season isn't completely dead. They have no more margin for error most likely (though I said before the season started, if any 2 loss team was gonna make the playoffs, it'd be this year's FSU squad), but I think burying them might be a bit premature. They'll be starting a true freshman, but that all world defense could keep them in it for a long while. He's apparently impressed Jimbo, and he's not even an early enrollee.

DMVfan123

Banned
Go Hokies!
Louisville struggled with Purdue. I assume you meant that the ACC Atlantic is falling to Clemson more than expected.
Clemson played Kent State (not trying to discredit their impressive performance though) and maybe Purdue was just a better team than expected
In any case, if Lamar Jackson is playing, Louisville always has a chance to win any game, although the defense is suspect

That doesn't make any sense. Your team isn't the only team playing better in later weeks; other teams generally are too. If you're gonna play a good team, you just...play a good team. Injury luck is the only factor that might make you better off than a good team later on, but it might also fuck your team instead.

So you either play a good OOC team to try and measure your team against a quality opponent or you don't and give yourself no margin for error to try and go undefeated in the regular season. The timing doesn't really matter all that much.

If you don't get that your team playing better gives them a better shot at winning, or at least a better shot at not losing because of their own mistakes, then I don't know what to to tell you. Yes, both teams should be playing better, that's a given. But you would rather have your team in a better position to be playing at its best. If you think playing at less than your best is just as good because so is the other team, I can't discuss this with you. You don't know where that other team is regarding their development, they could be in better or worse shape than you, you don't know. You should want your own team to be better.

I'd rather my team have some games under its belt before playing the biggest game of the year, since any loss can end your season. Rookie mistakes, week 1 mistakes, those are real things, and those things do not necessarily even out over the course of a single game. I want my team in a position to make less of those.

Again, if that doesn't make sense to you, then no point in talking about it further, I guess.

How likely is the loser of Texas A&M/UCLA to be fired this season?

If you don't get that your team playing better gives them a better shot at winning, or at least a better shot at not losing because of their own mistakes, then I don't know what to to tell you. Yes, both teams should be playing better, that's a given. But you would rather have your team in a better position to be playing at its best. If you think playing at less than your best is just as good because so is the other team, I can't discuss this with you. You don't know where that other team is regarding their development, they could be in better or worse shape than you, you don't know. You should want your own team to be better.

I'd rather my team have some games under its belt before playing the biggest game of the year, since any loss can end your season. Rookie mistakes, week 1 mistakes, those are real things, and those things do not necessarily even out over the course of a single game. I want my team in a position to make less of those.

Again, if that doesn't make sense to you, then no point in talking about it further, I guess.

I guess not. Because none of what you're arguing for is even guaranteed to happen as the season unfolds lol. You might play better. You might not. They might play better. They might not. You might rack up more key injuries than they do before y'all even kickoff against each other. Or they might. Scheduling scared just seems kinda...dumb.

Play the game or don't. *shrug*

I guess not. Because none of what you're arguing for is even guaranteed to happen as the season unfolds lol. You might play better. You might not. They might play better. They might not. You might rack up more key injuries than they do before y'all even kickoff against each other. Or they might. Scheduling scared just seems kinda...dumb.

I mean Sumlin is likely at put up or shut up status. So I'd say him.

cdyhybrid

Sumlin's seat is probably a bit hotter.

If UCLA as a season like last year, chances are really high Mora gets fired. People are worried about his buy out, but we've gotten worse every year since he's started.

Was nervous about our defense, run defense wasnt great, and the lack of putting pressure on the QB is HORRID.

ag-my001

Sumlin needs to go 9-3 to be safe. The real key is to avoid the second half collapse, both in the season and in the games.

The nice thing is that Sumlin didn't go after Stidham. That likely would have scared off Mond and possibly even Starkel. Don't know his exact reasons, but I'll take it as putting the long term health of the program first.

TD AGGIES!

We should have been contenders when we had a great defense of Barr and Kendricks and a QB like Hundley. That team carried Mora's initial lovefest. ;_;

Fuck you Stanford.

Think it was a fumble. Not sure if A&M is good or UCLA is just disappointing thus far.

I like A&M. My brother went there, and Sumlin's always seemed pretty cool to me. I hope he salvages his job this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom