• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Bowl and Playoff Thread - Where American Mediocrity is rewarded!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

Florida won the sec east. What does it say about that division and conference having gotten blown out by an A-OK Michigan team?

Remember the sec west went 2-5 last year in bowl games capped by ohio state embarrassing alabama.

I'm a grad student at pepperdine so I have no dog in this fight.
I guess those Church of Christ (the ones that don't believe women should lead prayers and that musical instruments during praise = paganism)* nutbags have done a good job of teaching you to create strawmen. Florida was not very good once Grier went down. Nobody has contested this statement in this thread for months.

*Talon knows this because he went to a prominent Church of Christ private school from K-12.

Grier didn't exactly go down. He was caught for cheating and rightfully suspended. Are you saying Florida was better when they were cheating? That makes sense but doesn't excuse the fact they still beat 3 sec east teams after he was suspended.

So again what does it say when that team gets blown out by an A-OK Michigan team? How bad was the sec east?

And I only brought up my education because you brought up your big ten grad status like it somehow makes your opinion mean more. It doesnt.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Florida won the sec east. What does it say about that division and conference having gotten blown out by an A-OK Michigan team?

Remember the sec west went 2-5 last year in bowl games capped by ohio state embarrassing alabama.

I'm a grad student at pepperdine so I have no dog in this fight.

Go back to your hole and stop living in the one year in which the B1G didn't embarrass themselves. You are absolutely insufferable.

Go back to your hole and stop living in the one year in which the B1G didn't embarrass themselves. You are absolutely insufferable.

The big ten is 5-4 in bowl games thus far including the Iowa loss. How is a winning record in bowl games embarrassing? I find people touting the espn rhetoric that the big ten sucks insufferable when the results don't support the claims

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The big ten is 5-4 in bowl games thus far including the Iowa loss. How is a winning record in bowl games embarrassing? I find people touting the espn rhetoric that the big ten sucks insufferable when the results don't support the claims

B1G, so far, has been outscored 257-213, and their best 2 teams, the CCG selections, are currently being outscored 76-0

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
In fairness, everyone probably keeps forgetting Northwestern was even in a bowl.

In Ohio State news, Michael Thomas may be staying

I believe Northwestern forgot as well.

JiEVYF

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Would you really consider Florida the second best team in the Sec? Iowa got in because the B1G West had a weird year.

Generally the best of the east, and hey, beat the bestest team in the west with some deer sprayed quarterback.

sonicfan

Venerable Member
I sure would have liked to see a Stanford or Ohio State play against Alabama's defense. How did Stanford lose to Northwestern?

Gorillaz

The 2 reps for our division getting washed the fuck out

Damn breh. Is this what you would call Stanford Football right now or just normal football

Iowa isn't terrible. They just dodged the three best teams in the other division.

Stanford is a great team. It sucks people are trying to diminish their performance. Again it stems from this idiotic conference dick measuring contest that is perpetuated by a certain region of the USA and espn.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Neither of you can seriously be suggesting that Iowa and Florida are the second best teams in their respected conferences..... right?

I imagine the majority would agree that Iowa is #4 or #5 in Big Ten and Florida is #5 or #6 in SEC with Harris at QB.

Draconian

Grier didn't exactly go down. He was caught for cheating and rightfully suspended. Are you saying Florida was better when they were cheating? That makes sense but doesn't excuse the fact they still beat 3 sec east teams after he was suspended.

So again what does it say when that team gets blown out by an A-OK Michigan team? How bad was the sec east?

And I only brought up my education because you brought up your big ten grad status like it somehow makes your opinion mean more. It doesnt.

Everybody here knows the SEC East is garbage. It isn't some hidden secret and nobody would deny that.

But if Michigan is simply A-OK and Michigan State, Iowa, and Northwestern have all been completely and utterly embarrassed in the past two days, that just leaves us with Ohio State right? So you're saying that B1G is a one team conference, and that one team wasn't even good enough to get to the B1G title game? Do you realize now how ridiculous you sound?

Corsick

This also goes to show most of the power conferences only have one legitimately great team. The rest are just good and dodged the great teams or above average and no one knew it. Ohio State losing to MSU screwed the Big 10 badly since Ohio State actually had a good shot at beating Alabama. I will say I'm not surprised by the Michigan game at all, Harbaugh is a top 3 coach in college football and Michigan has recruited incredibly well under Hoake. The problem with Hoake being that he just couldn't coach, so Harbaugh has the players, he just needs the "culture" to set in completely and have some of "his" guys who he's recruited mature and get prepared to take over. Florida is in the SEC East so they've always been overrated when they were a good team, not great. They're just now getting exposed, especially without their QB.

Also the sec east went undefeated in bowl games last year and the sec west went 2-5. Is anyone going to argue the sec east was better than the west last year? Of course not.

People try to use these bowl results to compare conferences when it doesnt really make sense to do so. Results are mostly based on match ups between the two teams, strengths/weaknesses, etc...

diffusionx

Gold Member
Wisconsin also beat USC. Wonder why people are trying to come up with this false narrative that the big ten is bad

Obviously their top teams are not competitive with the top teams from other conferences.

Once you get down in the middle it gets a bit messy. The Pac-12 was pretty deep this year (Stanford, Utah, Oregon, UCLA, ASU all beat each other up), but USC was a basket case for obvious reasons.

MIMIC

Banned
Are you kidding me with this shit?! First Michigan State and now Iowa.

Wow. Thank God they got to play for a playoff spot.

But Iowa is terrible. These things arent mutually exclusive.

But that's being pushed to the detriment of Stanford being a talented team. PAC-12 getting no respect, basically.

As a born and raised west coast person, I always find the East coast bias/mental gymnastics interesting.

squicken

expecting Ole Miss to blow out OSU. OSU cannot play any sort of defense

e: well if Kelly is going to throw those right into double coverage maybe they can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom