• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Bowl and Playoff Thread - Where American Mediocrity is rewarded!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ganhyun

Glad we won. Bunch of position coaches running things and our kicker got hurt so its not like we had the option to kick field goals after that.

Edit: I see Just Some Guy got himself banned in that Eddie Griffin/Bill Cosby thread, so looks like we wont have to deal with his craziness in here for a while, if ever (not sure if he earned a perm or not).

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Glad we won. Bunch of position coaches running things and our kicker got hurt so its not like we had the option to kick field goals after that.

Edit: I see Just Some Guy got himself banned in that Eddie Griffin/Bill Cosby thread, so looks like we wont have to deal with his craziness in here for a while, if ever (not sure if he earned a perm or not).

He had a junior member tag when here, so it's an automatic perma unless he had that as a sarcastic tag.

Plus, here's Bish quoting his post:

first ban of 2016 is a perm! what do I win

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
NYD bowls were, overall, down 13% from last year, with the Rose and Sugar being the lowest they've had since they created the BCS back last century. Fiesta was up, and I'm sure buckeyes thinks it was all because of them, but come on, that game had Boise State and Arizona. Bob Ross Marathon drew more viewers than that game.

Lopsided games and playing the College Football Playoff semifinals on New Year's Eve for the first time led to a 13 percent drop in TV ratings for the New Year's Six Bowls from last year.

The Rose Bowl on Friday drew its lowest rating (7.9) since it became part of the BCS in 1999.

But don't expect any changes to future College Football Playoff schedules based on the one-year dip.

The overnight ratings for the big New Year's Day bowls were announced Saturday by ESPN, which broadcasts all the games.

Overall, the ratings for the six major games played Thursday and Friday, including the semifinals in the Orange and Cotton bowls Thursday, averaged a 7.1 overnight rating, down from 8.2 last season, when the first playoff games drew record-breaking audiences to ESPN.

"That decline, frankly, is not much of a surprise and it's modest," College Football Playoff executive director Bill Hancock said. "It's too soon to know how much was due to the lopsided games or how much what I think we all thought would be an inevitable decline from the excitement of the first year or the semifinals on New Year's Eve. I suspect it's a combination of those three, but I don't have any idea what the weighting is. ESPN is studying the numbers and we'll learn a lot more in the next few months."

The average margin of victory in the New Year's Six games was 24.2 points.

All three of Friday's major bowls were blowouts. The Fiesta between Ohio State and Notre Dame, earned a 6.2 rating. That was up 35 percent from last season's Arizona-Boise State game. The Buckeyes beat the Fighting Irish 44-28.

Stanford beat Iowa 45-16 in the Rose Bowl on Friday. The previously lowest-rated Rose Bowl since 1999 was the 2012 game between Stanford and Wisconsin, which drew a 9.4.

The Sugar Bowl, which Mississippi won 48-20 against Oklahoma State, drew a 5.3 rating. That was the lowest Sugar Bowl since the Bowl Championship Series was established in 1999.

ESPN did see big increases in digital viewers who streamed the game online through WatchESPN. ESPN said the New Year's Six averaged 776,000 unique viewers and 43,871,000 total minutes for the six games, up 54 percent and 67 percent, respectively, from last year.

"The College Football Playoff is a long-term, multiplatform play for us," Burke Magnus, ESPN executive vice president of programming and scheduling, said in a statement. "With that said, there are many variables that impact ratings results including what happens on the field and the numbers this year were obviously impacted by the unbalanced scores of these games."

Last season's College Football Playoff semifinals, played on New Year's Day, drew a record number cable viewers, and ratings that edged past 15 for both the Oregon-Florida State Rose Bowl and the Ohio State-Alabama Sugar Bowl.

Total viewership for the semifinals played Thursday between Michigan State and Alabama in the Cotton Bowl and Clemson and Oklahoma in Orange Bowl plunged 34.4 percent, from 28,271,000 in 2015 to 18,552,000.

"What that tells me is many, many fans found a new way to watch the games," Hancock said.

ESPN has the rights to all six games. This is the second season of 12-year contracts worth a total of $7.3 million to the major college football conferences. The Rose and Sugar bowls have separate television deals with ESPN that lock in their prime New Year's Day time slots. When the College Football Playoff semifinals are played in the other four games in the New Year's Six rotation, they will be played on New Year's Eve.

ESPN suggested moving this season's semifinals to Jan. 2, a Saturday with no NFL games to compete against, but playoff officials did not want to delay the start of what they hope can become a new tradition.

Next season, the Fiesta and Peach bowls will host the semifinals on New Year's Eve, which falls on a Saturday. The semifinals are back in the Rose and Sugar bowls, and on New Year's Day, after the 2017 season.

"There hasn't been discussion in our group at all about changing the dates," Hancock said.

ag-my001

He had a junior member tag when here, so it's an automatic perma unless he had that as a sarcastic tag.

Not surprised, I gave up trying to even read his posts.

To any other new posters or lurkers: Welcome! We welcome you no matter who you root for or against. Just make sure you have a sensible reason for doing so.

For instance, if you don't like Penn State because of their handling of recent events, fine. You like Notre Dame because grandpa went there? Great! Just don't be like that last guy, doing nothing but criticize others and ridiculously sunshine pump for your chosen "side".

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Bish doing the Lord's work. Cyan, do you know where I can send a beer to Bish?

Mrbob

College committee should move there best of 4 playoff games to new years day, push up the rose bowl to a noon start. Move the sugar bowl to another night.

College committee should move there best of 4 playoff games to new years day, push up the rose bowl to a noon start. Move the sugar bowl to another night.

Given the poor ratings that came in, I'm sure we'll see tweaks to the NY6 schedule next year. Like you said, the two playoff games can be on New Years Day with the Rose bowl being that 3rd game on that day. If the Sugar Bowl tries to push back demanding to also be on new years day then someone is going to have to not get their way

They should get more of these bowls off of the ESPN channels, too. Air more on ABC.

With the number of people cutting cable I think this is largely intentional. ESPN paid a ton of money for the rights to these, they're not gonna let people who aren't paying a premium watch them.

I mean it sucks, I was speaking with a friend of mine who is a huge CFB fan (the only sport she really gets into) and the only bowls she got to see were the ones right around Christmas when she was home visiting her family, as she's in vet school and can't afford cable.

ag-my001

Do the bowls themselves care about ratings? I would think their contracts have a set rate for the time period no matter what. So long as they get the contract price and sell out for tickets, they're at their maximum revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom