• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim Delaney doesn't take umbrage:

ncf_a_delany_b1_65.jpg

C'mon, Jimmy. You really had to do a two-year public beta to figure out that everyone would hate those awful names?

Since we've been talking about departing guys, I found this on the Pac 12 blog:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/52395/pac-12-returning-starters

Its not a list of all the returning guys but gives you a good idea of which teams are bringing back the most in terms of starts.
Given how bad Cal was this year, I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that there will be a lot of player turnover before next year. It'll be good to get a new quarterback going, but obviously losing Keenan Allen and Steve Williams is going to hurt.

Someone mentioned this last week on Twitter and I thought they were joking. I hope this doesn't damage the long term viability of SI as they have a few writers I follow and read pretty regularly.
Sounds like a lot of OSU folks coming down for the game. We should meet up!
Ack! Midwest invasion! I'd be down for a meet up over in Berkeley.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I mean, how long was he with Sumlin? Can't give him alot of credit for this year (nor Sumlin) because there are no drawn up Manziel plays. Unless they use an etch-a-sketch as a playbook.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
His staff is like 50% of guys he played with at Tech. I don't think that this will turn out as well as Tech fans are hoping.

I'm not worried about the offense as much as I'm worried about the defense. Leach's offense was incredibly uncomplicated but required absolute 100% buy-in from the coaches and players to work; it should work to our advantage having guys that played together as coaches on that side of the ball. The odd thing is how many of the hires Kingsbury has made of people he played with but that will be coaching defense.

As I've mentioned before our Co-DCs are 1. Mike Smith, a guy who has coached for 4 years total, 3 of which have been LBs in the NFL, and 2. Wallerstedt, a guy whose defenses at previous DC gigs got worse than they were before he got there and who is only getting to hire one of his own assistants as the other hires were already made weeks before he was brought on. We're apparently switching to a 3-4 defense from a 4-3 but we only have 7 LBs on the entire roster, 4 of which are currently juniors.

On the optimistic side, Smith was getting co-DC consideration at other schools before this year (including apparently accepting a position at West Virginia before reneging when he found out his duties weren't as expected) and A&M tried awfully hard to keep us from stealing Wallerstedt so their must be something good there. Patterson at TCU has been a big fan of Trey Haverty (our safeties coach) ever since he was a GA at TCU so that was a pretty good hire for us (though admittedly the last S coach we got from TCU crashed and burned horribly).

If nothing else I have to think our defense can't be worse than WVU's and Baylor's were last season. :D

I think a lot of Tech fans are saying that we'll have to deal with a number of bumps in the road with such a young staff but I don't think they're really ready for it to happen. The DC hiring process was big mistake #1 as far as I'm concerned but I guess we'll see how it works out. We're definitely in for some growing pains.

I mean, how long was he with Sumlin? Can't give him alot of credit for this year (nor Sumlin) because there are no drawn up Manziel plays. Unless they use an etch-a-sketch as a playbook.

5 years total with Sumlin: 2 as an assistant, 3 as an OC.

50% was actually exactly right going by who has been hired already: he played with Cumbie, Haverty, Curtis, and Smith. Morris was at Tech after Kingsbury left but was a coach with him at Houston. Hays, Jinks, and Wallerstedt have no Tech ties. One hire left: DL coach, and unless we somehow hire Kris Kocurek away from the Detroit Lions we won't have a guy he played with there, either.

impirius

"Alternate universe" championship t-shirts end up in Central America; billboards, on the other hand, end up in Charlotte.

pjipkbxt.jpg

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
It's pretty clear at this point that buying Cam Newton was the sole reason they won the MNC.

When you go back, they had 3 or 4 games they had to fight back to win that year.

Miss State, Clemson, South Carolina 1, Kentucky, LSU was a battle as was the Oregon game, and of course, the choke job Alabama pulled off. All with Uber QB. When a Malzahn team doesn't have a mediocre to poor defense, then I'll "worry".

cashman

Banned
The good news for Auburn is that they've got Nick Marshall another juco QB coming in next year. Even better, is that he received an offer from Texas and likely would have been a DB if he committed. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom