• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

I figured most Bulldog fans would have forcibly put him on the plane. At gunpoint if so required.

Prior to this year, yeah. I was in that camp too. But something inexplicably clicked this year and his boneheaded plays were much fewer. I think a large part of it was that we had dependable running backs, and they made his plays he was calling before seem a lot better. Plus, he honestly seemed to call less plays from his Green Book.

And yeah, Washington can have Reuben Foster. Too much drama. That kid is going to be trouble. And yeah, I wouldn't complain about him coming but I expect him to land somebody some Fulmer points.

KingGondo

Banned
Sounds like Laquon Treadwell's visit to OSU went well.

He's apparently down to his final 2, and everyone seems to think it's Ole Miss or OSU.

Gundy spent 4-5 hours with him on his own, and his uncle (a former AA linebacker at OSU) was there too.

Announces on Thursday. Feeling pretty optimistic.

cdyhybrid

Prior to this year, yeah. I was in that camp too. But something inexplicably clicked this year and his boneheaded plays were much fewer. I think a large part of it was that we had dependable running backs, and they made his plays he was calling before seem a lot better. Plus, he honestly seemed to call less plays from his Green Book.

And yeah, Washington can have Reuben Foster. Too much drama. That kid is going to be trouble. And yeah, I wouldn't complain about him coming but I expect him to land somebody some Fulmer points.

Has he gotten into actual trouble in the past? I know he's been flaky with commitments and the Auburn tattoo and all that, but has he been arrested before?

andycapps

Has he gotten into actual trouble in the past? I know he's been flaky with commitments and the Auburn tattoo and all that, but has he been arrested before?

He was being recruited by Trooper "The Towel" Taylor, and was his godson IIRC. He moved to Auburn to go to highschool and since Trooper was his guardian, he could spend as much time with him as he wanted without it being a recruiting violation.

Has he been in trouble for anything? No, just a lot of red flags. Being that close to The Towel is a big one.

cdyhybrid

He was being recruited by Trooper "The Towel" Taylor, and was his godson IIRC. He moved to Auburn to go to highschool and since Trooper was his guardian, he could spend as much time with him as he wanted without it being a recruiting violation.

Has he been in trouble for anything? No, just a lot of red flags. Being that close to The Towel is a big one.

I guess I just have to trust that Sark and Co. have done their homework and aren't seeing anything that worries them a ton.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Goes even further back, I think. Long time Alabama commitment, originally played in LaGrange, GA, under Coach Charles Flowers (who I remember well, because he was the coach at my high school in Columbus a long time ago). Coach Flowers gets fired from that school in LaGrange, and Foster being the prototypical star high school football player, says if they don't hire him back, I'm leaving.

They don't hire him back, and he transfers to Auburn High School (so, left the state, and went to a high school 30 miles away). Not sure Trooper was his "godfather", it was because Trooper's son was also on the Auburn High School team, and this allowed for him to be at the school as much as he wanted to.

Not long after Foster gets to AHS, he flips commitment to Auburn, gets the tattoo, and thats that. Until Auburn's tires fall off, everyone gets the boot, and Foster and his ego doesn't know what to do.

andycapps

I guess I just have to trust that Sark and Co. have done their homework and aren't seeing anything that worries them a ton.

Well, good luck with that. I doubt he goes to Washington, but if Sarkesian gets him it's because he's undoubtedly a great athlete. Everybody wants him because of that. The problem is, he's the type of kid that knows how good he is and that everybody wants him. He's already got an ego problem and he hasn't stepped foot onto anybody's campus yet (as a student).

Goes even further back, I think. Long time Alabama commitment, originally played in LaGrange, GA, under Coach Charles Flowers (who I remember well, because he was the coach at my high school in Columbus a long time ago). Coach Flowers gets fired from that school in LaGrange, and Foster being the prototypical star high school football player, says if they don't hire him back, I'm leaving.

They don't hire him back, and he transfers to Auburn High School (so, left the state, and went to a high school 30 miles away). Not sure Trooper was his "godfather", it was because Trooper's son was also on the Auburn High School team, and this allowed for him to be at the school as much as he wanted to.

Not long after Foster gets to AHS, he flips commitment to Auburn, gets the tattoo, and thats that. Until Auburn's tires fall off, everyone gets the boot, and Foster and his ego doesn't know what to do.

You're right, Taylor wasn't his guardian, he was the dad of a fellow player. So he had an excuse to recruit him all the time.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Our WR Blair Holliday, who missed all of last season due to almost dying in a jet ski accident, was denied re-admissions to Duke for this semester due to a rule regarding leave of absence due to medical reasons. From what I understand, the staff is not happy

Our WR Blair Holliday, who missed all of last season due to almost dying in a jet ski accident, was denied re-admissions to Duke for this semester due to a rule regarding leave of absence due to medical reasons. From what I understand, the staff is not happy

I know at UCF you have to go to a separate board before you can be re-admitted into the university from a medical leave.

Maybe he missed that step assuming Duke has a similar process? Can't see any other reason why someone would be denied.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I know at UCF you have to go to a separate board before you can be re-admitted into the university from a medical leave.

Maybe he missed that step assuming Duke has a similar process? Can't see any other reason why someone would be denied.

Duke's policy is you can't be re-admitted for two semester after a medical leave of absence and Holliday did have severe head trauma. He was in excellent standing with the university, but I think its more of a PR nightmare than anything.

Duke's policy is you can't be re-admitted for two semester after a medical leave of absence and Holliday did have severe head trauma. He was in excellent standing with the university, but I think its more of a PR nightmare than anything.

So you automatically have to sit out for at least two semesters before being considered again?

Or after two semesters, you can't be considered?

UCF's requires you to be cleared by a doctor even if it is just one semester of leave or if it is multiple.

Lonestar

YES YES YES

One of those ultrazoom Gigapixel images from the BCS NCG between Alabama and that team that got mud stomped. It's from the 1st quarter, just in time for thousands and thousands of this:
sadrudy.0_standard_709.0.gif

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Wikipedia apparently knows a little something about Clancy that no one else knows:

Clancy Pendergast (born November 29, 1967) is the former defensive coordinator for the University of California Golden Bears. He is also the former defensive coordinator for the NFL's Arizona Cardinals and Kansas City Chiefs.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/01/auburn_picks_up_commitment_fro.html#comments

Sweet, Gus and Auburn picking up where their "Former SEC player-who was kicked off the team for stealing-and went to JUCO" scheme left off!

This time, a former UGA football player, kicked off for stealing from his teammates!

I'm almost positive Tech was recruiting that guy as well but I don't recall him being a QB. Think we were recruiting him for DB or something like that.

andycapps

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/01/auburn_picks_up_commitment_fro.html#comments

Sweet, Gus and Auburn picking up where their "Former SEC player-who was kicked off the team for stealing-and went to JUCO" scheme left off!

This time, a former UGA football player, kicked off for stealing from his teammates!

Georgia is playing two conference teams next year that could potentially have starting QB's that were kicked off the team. :jnc

Nice to know Auburn still has their high standard of moral excellence.

cdyhybrid

Theyre blocking the view of the puget sound? Boo

Nope! Well, that's not actually the Sound, it's a lake, but I get your point :p

The last screenshot on that page shows what the end zone there will look like. You'll still be able to see the water behind the scoreboard. Preserving the view was an emphasis when they were designing the new stadium.

Nope! Well, that's not actually the Sound, it's a lake, but I get your point :p

The last screenshot on that page shows what the end zone there will look like. You'll still be able to see the water behind the scoreboard. Preserving the view was an emphasis when they were designing the new stadium.

I did enjoy my visit to husky stadium, although it does need a major face lift. The area surrounding it is great and the view out to the water is awesome.

hiryu2015

I was not too enthused about Stanford's schedule next year but I guess it's expected for conference play. All the same opponents except for Army, Arizona State (in place of UofA), and Utah (in place of Colorado, the PAC-12's other unloved stepchild). It also seems my three year streak of watching Stanford vs USC is coming to an end since that game will be at the Coliseum in late November (not gonna have much free time in the clinic, or if I'm on call).

In related news, I have it on good authority that Barry Sanders Jr easily has the best bike on campus.

KingGondo

Banned
In related news, I have it on good authority that Barry Sanders Jr easily has the best bike on campus.
Rub it in why don't you!

Yes, I'm still bummed we won't see the son of the greatest college player ever in orange and black. :'(

Not that I blame him for taking a free ride to Stanford

Oh, and technically it's "Barry J. Sanders", he's not a "Junior"

cdyhybrid

I did enjoy my visit to husky stadium, although it does need a major face lift. The area surrounding it is great and the view out to the water is awesome.

It was sorely overdue. Like 20 years overdue. The football team going to shit certainly didn't help things. It seems to be a hit with recruits, so it looks like it's already paying off.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
It was sorely overdue. Like 20 years overdue. The football team going to shit certainly didn't help things. It seems to be a hit with recruits, so it looks like it's already paying off.

I am so glad we are finally getting our big screen and sound system updated. Those had to be downsides to recruits when they visited on gameday and I was disappointed when they couldn't get it done in time for last season. Should be ready for 2013, though.

hiryu2015

You going to Big Game?

I've never been to the Big Game. I will probably go next year if my schedule permits, since it is a Saturday before a holiday. I should've gone to the last one at Stanford (in 2011) as I missed the chance to watch from a box suite but I was on travel somewhere.

Oh, and technically it's "Barry J. Sanders", he's not a "Junior"

But we already have someone named BJ Sands running around the area and we can't afford to mix em up.

Lonestar

Nice. Here's my quick find... the little girl on the bottom left, and the crazy mom on the right...

Amazed.jpg

XNm7p.jpg

"These Binoculars. They do nothing to change this outcome."

S7NPe.jpg

"At least Grandpa Joe doesn't understand what's happening"

RGNxE.jpg

"Brent's on the Prowl again"

Lonestar

Cierre Wood going pro. Dude has UDFA all over him.

So many of these early draftee's have that same feeling. Half of LSU's early departee's, in fact.

kF7N3.jpg

stand in's for mre and myself, if we were at the game.

UBdaS.jpg

ND Football is as deadly as Diabeetus

idAaF.jpg

Trent hiding out on the sideline.

aOODt.jpg

Large People celebrating. ND people never saw it coming.

Somehow all we have lost early to the NFL so far is DT Brandon Moore. He was one of our two JuCo transfers we had last year. Of all the talent that could have left early for the NFL off our roster, I don't know if he would crack the top 10. Clearly hes leaving for the money potential

Kevtones

Oregon deserves a +1 considering DAT non-starting business. They also deserve a -1 since they're including the kicker Moldy Nachos.

Think Oregon will be super vertical this coming year. Lots of speed and 90% of our receiving core (pretty much everyone) is back.

Pretty stoked on the defense. If not for Boyett and then his even better replacement Patterson going down for the year against Cal, they were very stout. Lots to replace in the LB crew, though.

Ducks do have a highly recruited kicker coming in thankfully. FINALLY.

cdyhybrid

We'll have a lot of returning starters. If Keith returns to his sophomore form we'll be alright, but the line needs to be better. With the way Sark has been recruiting, I don't think we'll hit our peak talentwise for another year or two, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom