• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Alabama is going to curb stomp them so badly, it won't even be funny.

That's really the only challenging game on their schedule, talk about a joke. Non conference games against Rice, Sam Houston State, SMU, and UTEP. East opponents are Vandy and Mizzou. LOL

They could easily go 11-1 and sneak into a BCS game.. With that schedule.

That's really the only challenging game on their schedule, talk about a joke. Non conference games against Rice, Sam Houston State, SMU, and UTEP. East opponents are Vandy and Mizzou. LOL

They could easily go 11-1 and sneak into a BCS game.. With that schedule.

Isn't Vandy going in this year with a preseason top 25 ranking? That's worthy of its own LOL.

eznark

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HARM0HfPnZ0#at=18

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
lol wat

TqlKReB.png

Talon

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Arkansas.

This is getting serious. Was he playing on one of Florida's national tyla teams?

I think mre posted this yesterday. you're forgiven though

andycapps

Trying to go full Aggy.

That's just crazy. At this point I don't even know what else to say about the guy.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Nice to see a new Husker on the board. Also it must be time to go back into my hidey-hole if I've been noticed.

Another Husker! On topic, I'm sure you're old enough to remember us being competitive in all those Big 12 Championship games we lost recently.

You can't be a Husker you're too optimistic. Seriously though I'm weirded out by all these fellow fans. Probably the most Husker fans I've seen in one of the threads since jstevenson posted more frequently.

That's more like it.

On a related note, being back in the ol' Good Life, was surprised how (restrainedly) optimistic the Journal-Star is. Or I'm just reading wrong. But on the real, I've never been outwardly confident these past couple season. Always on the rebuild it seems. And the Huskers no few limits to their skills in letting me down.

mhs004

Stop making us look bad! Why is it every time we get we get a new coach people try to be funny and put up stupid videos? Were getting two wins max this year accept it!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Stop making us look bad! Why is it every time we get we get a new coach people try to be funny and put up stupid videos? Were getting two wins max this year accept it!
Liz Honey is displeased by your lack of belief.

OxJkEPf.jpg

eznark

Banned
If your foundation was built on the lying liar that was Ryan Braun, you'd have a hard time coping too. Just ask Aaron Rodgers

Is it more palatable to be excluded from meaningful football by complete and utter lack of talent at a moribund and irrelevant program or imposed sanctions due to rampant NCAA violations?

Jhriad

Indiana and Memphis play great defense. So do OKC, SA, and Miami at times.

You're not gonna see slugfests like you did in the Eastern Conference in the 80s and 90s with the Pistons, Pacers, and Knicks, but that's for the best. The new rules make the game much more fun to watch. I can't stand watching college ball, even though we're back to being good all of a sudden (thank you Based Smart).

I mean that the refs won't let anything slide these days and it's become all about falling down and trying to draw fouls.. Standing in the lane and trying to draw a charge instead of trying to block the shit out of that guy.

It's more exciting offensively, it's just annoying not seeing people be allowed to play defense. Not debating that some teams are better at playing defense within the rules, but the game done changed, son.

The flopping rules seem to have helped somewhat, although I'd prefer for them to result in suspension rather than a fine. You're right that there's too much emphasis on the FT line, but it really helps my team so I'm OK with it :lol. I do hate the charge rules as well, but that's way, way worse in college. Scrubs who can't play make their living off of getting in the way of skilled offensive guys.

As for the current state of the NBA, I can't imagine anyone watching games 6 and 7 of the Finals last year and not being blown away by the skill, effort, and emotion displayed. It was absolutely awesome.

Keep the discussion of ninny ball out of here. If you want to discuss your lady sports I'm sure there's a thread in some sad corner of GAF just for you. This thread? This thread is for real men. Men with integrity and a sport where character is valued above all else. This ain't no footie and it certainly isn't your pansy bouncy ball either. This is College Football.

How dont you people use subscriptions.

I used to rely on seeing threads pop up on the first page of OT. Only started REALLY using subscriptions in the past few months. Before I would occasionally subscribe to a thread but then forget about subscriptions entirely. I think they're surfaced a lot better in this version of GAF so it should help me remember.

I understand following baseball if there's a team near you, but beyond that it doesn't have nearly the neutral fan interest that football (or even marquee NBA games) can generate.

A huge part of the country doesn't care until the World Series, and sometimes not even then if it isn't an appealing matchup.

I like baseball, but the astros have suck for the last few years (now for good reason, sucking for the future!), so I haven't paid attention to it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Is it more palatable to be excluded from meaningful football by complete and utter lack of talent at a moribund and irrelevant program or imposed sanctions due to rampant NCAA violations?

I would think a brewers fan would already know the answer to this question. Except they didn't win shit when they cheated

I like baseball, but the astros have suck for the last few years (now for good reason, sucking for the future!), so I haven't paid attention to it.

Most Houstonians, including myself, can't watch the Astros anyway. Only if Comcast is your provider do you have the option to follow our sucktastic team that will supposedly be good in 3 years if that Grantland article is proven right.

I thought the Astros admin was content to suck forever because they're still making money.

Don't know about that. Their attendance is horrible. We're a value brand club right now as illustrated by our entire roster making less money than A-Rod this year so maybe we don't need many fans to turn a profit

Jhriad

On a related note, being back in the ol' Good Life, was surprised how (restrainedly) optimistic the Journal-Star is. Or I'm just reading wrong.

Wouldn't be surprised. I think a lot of the Nebraska press are seeing a confidence in the staff and Bo in particular that they weren't expecting this season and it might be infecting them as well. I'll reserve any optimism until I see what the product on the field looks like.

I thought the Astros admin was content to suck forever because they're still making money.

Nah, that's the pirates. Astros actually have a solid plan for when you bottom out, and you don't have Yankee money. Get rid of anyone over 25, especially if they are making money, then build your farm system.

We started to suck because we kept trading away our good prospects in the mid 2000s, and then never signed our own draft picks because Drayton McLane didn't understand why he should. So, by 2009, we were old, overpaid, and our farm system was barren.

There was nothing positive with that, so we had to burn the whole thing down and start again.

And under the current CBA, if you are bad, you are encouraged not to just be bad, but be legendarily bad. The difference between last place and second to last is a million in cap space for US prospects, and another half million in Latin American development.

Here is the plan, as laid out by Grantland: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9273233/hoarding-prospects-being-horrible-houston-astros

Oh, here's the back of the jumbo video board we put it a year ago, last year was the first year it was used I think.

They actually had a movie night on the thing this summer. You can see it perfectly from the tailgate lots even.

Is it me, or does everything at Jack Trice have the aesthetic of a 1960s rural regional airport? The press box, the erector set video board, and the building below it make me want to land a Piper Cub on the football field.

Having said that, I really enjoyed my time attending a game out there. The people were great hosts, and tailgating on that massive expanse of grass they use for overflow parking was fun as hell.

Jhriad

Is it me, or does everything at Jack Trice have the aesthetic of a 1960s rural regional airport? The press box, the erector set video board, and the building below it make me want to land a Piper Cub on the football field.

If you straighten out those curves it looks like a smaller version of Kyle Field (Texas A&M's stadium).

andycapps

Nah, that's the pirates. Astros actually have a solid plan for when you bottom out, and you don't have Yankee money. Get rid of anyone over 25, especially if they are making money, then build your farm system.

We started to suck because we kept trading away our good prospects in the mid 2000s, and then never signed our own draft picks because Drayton McLane didn't understand why he should. So, by 2009, we were old, overpaid, and our farm system was barren.

There was nothing positive with that, so we had to burn the whole thing down and start again.

And under the current CBA, if you are bad, you are encouraged not to just be bad, but be legendarily bad. The difference between last place and second to last is a million in cap space for US prospects, and another half million in Latin American development.

Here is the plan, as laid out by Grantland: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9273233/hoarding-prospects-being-horrible-houston-astros

I would say something snarky here, but it's the Astros so I'll go easy. Thanks for clearing it up.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Having said that, I really enjoyed my time attending a game out there. The people were great hosts, and tailgating on that massive expanse of grass they use for overflow parking was fun as hell.

Tailgating is a blast here. The student lots especially. I still use them even though I graduated in 2008. Can't wait to get out to a few games.

Also everyone should come see a big basketball game here in Hilton just once. The atmosphere is insane.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Ole-Miss-Game-Day-Dress-Code.jpg

Good thing they just barely worked in that white sun dress BEFORE Labor Day!

I thought I saw a pattern of wearing blue only when the opposing team had red in their colors as well, but then they're wearing red to the Vandy game and I just don't know what to think.

Quake1028

So, does 8-4 look about right? Maybe 9-3 if we can swing UNC or Pittsburgh.

8/30 Florida Atlantic...W
9/7 Florida...L
9/21 Savannah State...W
9/28 at South Florida...W
10/5 Georgia Tech...W
10/17 at North Carolina...L
10/26 Wake Forest...W
11/2 at Florida State...L
11/9 Virginia Tech...W
11/16 at Duke...W
11/23 Virginia...W
11/29 at Pittsburgh...L

9/7 Florida...L
9/21 Savannah State...W
10/5 Georgia Tech...W
10/26 Wake Forest...W
11/9 Virginia Tech...W
11/16 at Duke...W
11/23 Virginia...W
11/29 at Pittsburgh...L

idk, depends on your school

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

9/7 Florida...L
9/21 Savannah State...W
10/5 Georgia Tech...W
10/26 Wake Forest...W
11/9 Virginia Tech...W
11/16 at Duke...W
11/23 Virginia...W
11/29 at Pittsburgh...L

I've heard Pitt wasn't going to be that good this year, you have way more talent than they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom