• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you straighten out those curves it looks like a smaller version of Kyle Field (Texas A&M's stadium).

isu.scoreboard.jpg

Nah. I see that setup and the only thing I think of is "Skycatcher Sierra Charley Echo One One Niner requesting permission to land and refuel..."

Tailgating is a blast here. The student lots especially. I still use them even though I graduated in 2008. Can't wait to get out to a few games.

Also everyone should come see a big basketball game here in Hilton just once. The atmosphere is insane.

It really was a lot of fun. Heard good things about the atmosphere for b-ball too while I was there.

They just started testing Texas Tech's new vidja board today. Here's a view of it from outside the stadium, on the far side of the field at around noon today:

http://vimeo.com/71275201

I kid, it's a nice board. How does it compare to the cowboys stadium screen?

In size? It really doesn't. That thing is HUGE.

This one, though the overall structure is the biggest in the Big 12 (because it incorporates the permanent advertising spaces on the sides and a massive 250,000 watt speaker array within) the actual main screen will "just" be the third-largest in the Big 12.

The screen does have the capability of being much brighter than the one at JerryWorld though. As you can see in the video, even in the noon-day summer sun, with no clouds at all, the image and colors are quite clear. It's the latest tech, so naturally, it's said it will be the brightest and clearest display in the Big 12, with the best color rendition capability. That's all just having the newest tech though. Baylor will be putting a big screen in their new stadium under construction that I'm sure will surpass ours when it is built. I guess, in that way, it pays to have waited SO FREAKING LONG to get a proper video system installed. Our old board was a joke.

Initially, of course they wanted it to be the biggest screen, but the consultant they used convinced them to go with the size they chose (it really is big enough) and spend far more of the budget on the "ribbon boards" (not yet installed) interconnected to i than they had planned. Using these ribbon boards is the new hotness, I guess. It is said to be more "interactive-feeling," (I know how silly this sounds) because rather than having one focal point (the giant screen) the ribbon boards actually go beyond the screen, into the seating decks, and using the software/video editing suite they can flow graphics across all the screens, spanning the whole system. Things can move from the ribbon boards into and out of the main screen, and back again, like it's all one screen tied together.

We'll see how they utilize it. I've seen what they are talking about. They do pretty cool stuff with these systems, but it's mostly in basketball arenas where they've been totally integrated into the system from day one. In most football stadiums that are doing this kind of thing, the ribbon boards are a retrofit, and not nearly as integrated as this will be. I'm told the new "saddlebag" seating deck expansions they did a couple years ago to round off that end of the field as well as the smaller seating expansion they are doing in conjunction with the arcade/colonnade that is finishing the work of enclosing that end of the stadium actually considered the future ribbon boards as part of that design as well. I guess that's another "bonus" for having taken so long to plan and do the project.

But that's the Texas Tech way, and has been for a long time. Every project takes a lot longer than it might at other universities with as much available land and money, because our charter has really, really strict planning and budgeting rules designed to keep the campus beautiful. For example, just because they built this video board, they were obligated to find approx. $250,000 of additional funding for public art and landscaping elsewhere on campus. Every building project (athletic/academic/administrative/housing/parking/whatever) on campus has this 2% "art and beauty tax" tacked on. The rules are good though, because it keeps administrators from seeing all the land and money available and just going on a building binge, throwing up a bunch of shitty-looking, poorly-planned buildings so they can put their names and their buddies' names on them, which would be a real temptation at a relatively young, land-rich school like Tech.

Another big part of the delay on this project was apparently the fact that they had to totally upgrade the A/V studios (which are actually down the road at the basketball arena) because all the audio/video feeding the screen is done there.

The coolest thing about the board though is something you can't see. It has two professional pyrotechnics decks built in, on either side of the central "Double-T" for digitally-detonated/choreographed pyro displays when the team scores, and for a big fireworks display at the end of games when Tech wins. Should be fun for those night games at the Jones.

andycapps

Yeah, UGA has those ribbon screens you're talking about that are all coordinated with the main screen. Graphics on them are constantly moving and giving you information the game, or when to be loud or quiet, or stats on other games.. lots of ads too. That's really why most schools want them. That and the effort to keep coming to games special, versus watching it at home on your big screen.

Speaking of, UNM will have a new scoreboard this year. It will be the biggest in the MWC and 13th largest in the nation! No idea how it compares to Lubbock-vision.

It'll be a little less than Texas Tech's. List is here. I'd paste a list but the formatting is way off when I try to, and I don't feel like reformatting for this.

LosDaddie

Banned
So, does 8-4 look about right? Maybe 9-3 if we can swing UNC or Pittsburgh.

8/30 Florida Atlantic...W
9/7 Florida...L
9/21 Savannah State...W
9/28 at South Florida...W
10/5 Georgia Tech...W
10/17 at North Carolina...L
10/26 Wake Forest...W
11/2 at Florida State...L
11/9 Virginia Tech...W
11/16 at Duke...W
11/23 Virginia...W
11/29 at Pittsburgh...L

Bolded are the possible losses, IMO.

I'd say the only guaranteed loss is vs UF.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap, apparently 4 ex students of Euless Trinity High School were in a car wreck last night and three died. One death was a incoming freshman football player for Utah (Gaius Vaenuku), one death was a Texas A&M second year player (Polo Manukainiu), and the survivor (who is in critical condition) was also an incoming true freshman Ute (Salesi Uhatafe). Haven't heard about the 4th person other than that they passed away.

Apparently Manukainiu tweeted about doing the 22 hour drive back to Texas from Utah on no sleep yesterday.

andycapps

Enfinit said:
Mark Richt:

"Jadeveon Clowney might be the best football player in the world. At any level."

Um...

I think some people are taking that a little too literally. And some are also missing the point.. for the past several weeks Murray was being asked whether he was scared of Clowney.. Now Richt put the pressure on Clowney by calling him the best player at any level. They're going to be talking about that quote for a couple weeks at least on ESPN since they love Clowney so much already. That's just more fuel for the fire. Honestly, it's a perfectly Spurrier'esque quote and I think it's perfect.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Holy crap, apparently 4 ex students of Euless Trinity High School were in a car wreck last night and three died. One death was a incoming freshman football player for Utah (Gaius Vaenuku), one death was a Texas A&M second year player (Polo Manukainiu), and the survivor (who is in critical condition) was also an incoming true freshman Ute (Salesi Uhatafe). Haven't heard about the 4th person other than that they passed away.

Apparently Manukainiu tweeted about doing the 22 hour drive back to Texas from Utah on no sleep yesterday.

Hmm, hate to hear this.

Couple weeks ago, a car full of high school football players (in Georgia, I think) got in a car crash. Think only 1 survived, and 3 or 4 died. Think some of them were being offered D1 Scholarships.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Hmm, hate to hear this.

Couple weeks ago, a car full of high school football players (in Georgia, I think) got in a car crash. Think only 1 survived, and 3 or 4 died. Think some of them were being offered D1 Scholarships.

Hate to hear it any time someone so young dies.

jagowar

Always sad when accidents like this happen.... even worse for us because we are already thin on the D line and Polo Manukainiu was going to get some playing time this year if not end up starting.

Lonestar

That's horrible.

Better load up on some coffee, that is the worst though.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/298311/3/Three-high-school-football-players-killed-in-south-Ga-crash

Happened on July 10th.

btw, my statement on long drive on no sleep was towards what the A&M player tweeted about. I know not to do something as wreckless as getting behind the wheel, while on little to no sleep. Do we know if that was the reason, or if something else happened?

http://interactives.krqe.com/photomojo/gallery/8462/165204/teens-die-in-fatal-rollover/rollover-crash-on-us-550/
Photo's of the car crash from last night.

So sad. My younger sister is friends with Polo. Several kids in their graduating class from Trinity have lost their lives this summer. :/

andycapps

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/298311/3/Three-high-school-football-players-killed-in-south-Ga-crash

Happened on July 10th.

btw, my statement on long drive on no sleep was towards what the A&M player tweeted about. I know not to do something as wreckless as getting behind the wheel, while on little to no sleep. Do we know if that was the reason, or if something else happened?

http://interactives.krqe.com/photomojo/gallery/8462/165204/teens-die-in-fatal-rollover/rollover-crash-on-us-550/
Photo's of the car crash from last night.

Oh my bad, I missed the sarcasm.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Hearing now that the 4th person in the car was Vaenuku and Manukainiu's 13 year old cousin.

I believe Uhatafe had a cousin that was posting on one of the Tech message boards a few months ago when Tech was recruiting Vaenuku, Uhatafe, and another Trinity player named Sam Tevi but he hasn't weighed in yet this morning.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Terrible, why would they think to do that. Tired driving can be as bad as drunk driving. Hate it for the families, hate it for them.

Terrible, why would they think to do that. Tired driving can be as bad as drunk driving. Hate it for the families, hate it for them.

I've had to pull over on many driving trips just to take a 30 minute power nap. If my eyes start to oscillate or roll back I'll find the nearest gas station and pass out for a bit. Could have saved my life on multiple occasions.

LosDaddie

Banned
I've had to pull over on many driving trips just to take a 30 minute power nap. If my eyes start to oscillate or roll back I'll find the nearest gas station and pass out for a bit. Could have saved my life on multiple occasions.

I've done the same, except it was at rest areas. I hate driving long distance at night. Always have. It puts me to sleep. During my freshmen year at FSU, I probably pulled over for a few hour nap at least 4x, since I could never leave campus before nighttime.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I can drive without stopping or getting tired as long as the sun is up, but once it goes down I get drowsy as all get out.

Lonestar

I can drive without stopping or getting tired as long as the sun is up, but once it goes down I get drowsy as all get out.

That's how I am as well. Hate night time driving, and can only do it for 30 minutes-1 hour. Come daylight savings time, when the clock changes, and the drive home goes from light to dark....ugh. 30 minute drive on a busy highway (notorious for 18 wheeler traffic accidents), while slightly drowsy...

Quake1028

Bolded are the possible losses, IMO.

I'd say the only guaranteed loss is vs UF.

I agree with you, although I feel better about UNC this year than in year's past since they lost their huge stud of a running back. 9-3 or 8-4 are going to be tough.

Edit - Oh, and you guys are certainly kicking our asses at Doak.

News out of Columbus is Carlos Hyde will not be charged, reinstatement back to the team expected soon. Video of incident to be released around 3.

Damn, looks like I'm not gonna get OSU tickets. Don't know if there's a sellout or what, but the Cal ticket site's telling me nothing's available.
I was poking around this morning and I didn't see anything. Turns out I'm out of town anyway, but I was curious what the demand is like. No season tickets this year, eh?

Damn, looks like I'm not gonna get OSU tickets. Don't know if there's a sellout or what, but the Cal ticket site's telling me nothing's available.

I know OSU fans have bought a lot, still not 100% sure yet if im making the trip, would love to but may be transitioning into a new role at that time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom