• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure no one has still water as still as the water in that photo (aside from Stillwater).

The photo was taken in Daytona Beach during the Cheerleading Nationals that Texas Tech competed in and placed third.

And according to my Texas Tech grad friend, Lubbock is a dusty wind tunnel, so I doubt water in Lubbock would be that calm, if Lubbock had a body of water. The largest body of water in Lubbock is probably the Lazy River in Tech's rec center.

You've never been to Lubbock, chaos?

KingGondo

Banned
That's pretty revisionist since Gilbert was the second best QB in the nation behind Barkley and the entire system change was what Muschamp wanted to do with the offense once he took over as coach.
So I guess Muschamp is the real culprit behind UT's decline?

I agree that RG3 and Manziel were anything but sure things at QB, but it's also obvious that Mack's recruiting has been pretty schizo in recent years.

Garryk

Nothing good will come of that Oregon thread in the OT. Now we have an Auburn fan threatening to show his avatar in here. :(

Are we getting moved back to the OT for the weekly threads or have we been permaexiled to OTC?

andycapps

Nothing good will come of that Oregon thread in the OT. Now we have an Auburn fan threatening to show his avatar in here. :(

Are we getting moved back to the OT for the weekly threads or have we been permaexiled to OTC?

I hope the Wartiglesman makes his way here. Football wouldn't really be here until we get outlandish predictions from Golden Domers and Barners.

LosDaddie

Banned
Baby due at the end of the month means that I probably won't go to any games this season....And I got a part-time job (Sat. shift only) at a local meat market back in May to pay for the insurance deductible ($1500), and now our master bathroom remodel will probably cost ~$3k more than we estimated. So, I'll probably have to continue working the part-time job at least until early next year.

I dun goofed, CFB-bros. No games, and having to DVR most FSU games this season. Fuck me. :(

Garryk

I hope the Wartiglesman makes his way here. Football wouldn't really be here until we get outlandish predictions from Golden Domers and Barners.

I am no stranger to Gus Bus hyperbole. His Arkansas State billboard is still standing proud on the interstate.

andycapps

Baby due at the end of the month means that I probably won't go to any games this season....And I got a part-time job (Sat. shift only) at a local meat market back in May to pay for the insurance deductible ($1500), and now our master bathroom remodel will probably cost ~$3k more than we estimated. So, I'll probably have to continue working the part-time job at least until early next year.

I dun goofed, CFB-bros. No games, and having to DVR most FSU games this season. Fuck me. :(

Been there done that. The good thing about football is that it comes around every year. Enjoy the time with your baby. Mine is turning 8 today. Shit.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Been there done that. The good thing about football is that it comes around every year. Enjoy the time with your baby. Mine is turning 8 today. Shit.

Is that what fans of teams that don't win championships say? Every Year is Championship Year.

Championships > Responsibility
Championships > Tree's
Championships > Equal Pay
Championships > Tacos

andycapps

Is that what fans of teams that don't win championships say? Every Year is Championship Year.

Championships > Responsibility
Championships > Tree's
Championships > Equal Pay
Championships > Tacos

I wouldn't know about that. You'd have to ask one of the little sisters of the poor.

yay new ugly facemasks!

BQl04rmCYAEpohR.jpg

KingGondo

Banned
Tcu loses starting RT tayo fabuluje, former transfer for byu. Quit for personal reasons, some speculations say it relates to the car crash that was posted here(euless connection), nothing certain yet.
Big loss for TCU, Patterson is on the record saying that O-line depth was their biggest concern heading into the season.

Too bad for them, I'm hoping he can come back at some point assuming the car crash was why he left.

Lonestar

I just spit out my coffee.

You're just giving him more ideas.

Insane that the NCAA is now going to allow Vanderdoes to play this year, accepting his appeal over ND's refusal to release him from his LOI.

Now, I'm happy to see ND get pissed on more, but this pisses me off more than anything.

Vanderdoes gets to transfer and play immediately. Phillip Sims got to transfer and play immediately for Virginia.

Back in 2009, Colin Peak wasn't allowed to play immediately for Alabama, nor allowed to have that year back.

NCAA can't die soon enough.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Nope. Was my friend exaggerating the claims on the heavy wind? He mentioned it was rare to have a day that he could throw a Frisbee and not have the wind take it
I think Lubbock is one of the windiest cities in the nation. Lord knows there's nothing in the geography there to slow the wind down.

how is Ohio looking to be this year? You all are our opener on 9/1

When in doubt pencil us in for 9-10 wins and no MAC championship. Getting us in the opener is the worst time to play us, because we tend to be decimated by injuries as the season goes on. 16 starters are back. We're a real good mid-major with a puncher's chance on 9/1, but you should win the game. Was happy it got moved to Sunday

andycapps

For those too lazy:

1 Alabama
2 Ohio St.
3 Oregon
4 Stanford
5 Georgia
6 Texas A&M
7 South Carolina
8 Clemson
9 Louisville
10 Florida
11 Notre Dame
12 Florida St.
13 LSU
14 Oklahoma St.
15 Texas
16 Oklahoma
17 Michigan
18 Nebraska
19 Boise St.
20 TCU
21 UCLA
22 Northwestern
23 Wisconsin
24 USC
25 Oregon St.

Draxal

Insane that the NCAA is now going to allow Vanderdoes to play this year, accepting his appeal over ND's refusal to release him from his LOI.

Now, I'm happy to see ND get pissed on more, but this pisses me off more than anything.

Vanderdoes gets to transfer and play immediately. Phillip Sims got to transfer and play immediately for Virginia.

Back in 2009, Colin Peak wasn't allowed to play immediately for Alabama, nor allowed to have that year back.

Slive's got your back.

andycapps

NCAA must be using a jump to conclusions mat.

Lonestar

Eh? Is this a reference to him switching his commitment from Nebraska to Kansas State that I'm not getting?

You've not spent any time in the NFL topic the last few years.

Josh Freeman and Taco Bell. TIED AT THE HIPS WHICH ARE HUGE CUZ TACOTACOTACO

andycapps

Today is a good day fellow CFB gaffers.

True, camp started today for UGA and a bunch of other schools.

Coworker of mine has a friend that works in OSU's football dept. But he's lowest of the low, sent my coworker a picture of Urban the other day. I guess some discussions were going on the other day before the Hyde punishment came out.

Jhriad

You've not spent any time in the NFL topic the last few years.

Josh Freeman and Taco Bell. TIED AT THE HIPS WHICH ARE HUGE CUZ TACOTACOTACO

Oh, is that who that picture is of that everyone uses on GAF? Yeah, I don't really give pay any attention to NFL ball. Why would I care about that?

andycapps

Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall apparently dislike the "Gurshal" nickname, and Gurley actually said he hates it. Says it's not his name and doesn't like fans calling him that. I get it that they want to have their own names used, but I also feel like the nickname was clever and was an homage to the best RB to ever play CFB at UGA and possibly in the country.

"I never really liked the name," Gurley said Thursday. "I always said that, since it came up."

"Sometimes I'll be out somewhere and someone will be like: 'What's up Gurshall?'" Marshall said. "That's not my name."

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2013/08/01/2586156/gurley-and-marshall-please-stop.html#storylink=cpy
We'll see if Uncle Verne and Gary refer to them as Gurshall or as their actual name.

That said, Keith Marshall has put on about 15 pounds of muscle (up to 220) while not losing any speed and looks bigger than Gurley in the pictures I've seen. Marshall said will probably lose 5 pounds to finish camp at 215. Gurley is unchanged from spring and is 232. OMG FOOTBAWWW

Jhriad

USA Today Poll

1 Alabama (58) 0-0 1545
2 Ohio State (3) 0-0 1427
3 Oregon 0-0 1397
4 Stanford 0-0 1262
5 Georgia 0-0 1250
6 Texas A&M (1) 0-0 1215
7 South Carolina 0-0 1136
8 Clemson 0-0 1047
9 Louisville 0-0 1010
10 Florida 0-0 930
11 Notre Dame 0-0 872
12 Florida State 0-0 844
13 LSU 0-0 797
14 Oklahoma State 0-0 726
15 Texas 0-0 622
16 Oklahoma 0-0 620
17 Michigan 0-0 589
18 Nebraska 0-0 426
19 Boise State 0-0 420
20 TCU 0-0 400
21 UCLA 0-0 202
22 Northwestern 0-0 186
23 Wisconsin 0-0 172
24 USC 0-0 165
25 Oregon State 0-0 135

Others receiving votes: Kansas State 113, Miami (FL) 101, Michigan State 89, Baylor 80, Virginia Tech 65, Fresno State 62, Arizona State 51, Ole Miss 32, Vanderbilt 29, Utah State 23, Brigham Young 20, North Carolina 19, Northern Illinois 19, Tulsa 9, San Jose State 8, Ohio 8, Arizona 5, Cincinnati 3, East Carolina 3, Mississippi State 3, Kent State 3, Washington 3, UCF 2, Tennessee 1, Toledo 1, Rutgers 1, Arkansas 1, Arkansas State 1

Alright who's the guy that voted A&M #1?

I'm sorry that Kent State got more votes than y'all. Cinci got more votes than Texas Tech (Tubbs vindicated?). I think coaches are voting based on favorable scheduling too

Eh, shocked to get any at all. Even though it is probably O'Leary voting for his own team. Hell of an opportunity to make some movement, though with no FCS teams on the schedule and playing USCe and PSU early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom