• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Bull.

Shit.

Besides, defensive stats are skewed heavily depending on pace of play.
So the top SEC teams in no particular order are:

Bama
UGA
A&M
LSU
USCe
Gatas

Which Big 12 teams are better than any of those? Gatas are the weakest of that bunch due to no offense at all, but their defense is stout.

Wellp, there it is. Just got an email from Cal Athletics. Reason I couldn't get OSU tickets was that they're holding them back to entice more people to buy season tickets.

Fuck em.
That stinks. I thought the ticket supply looked a little light for some of the later games I checked out (UofA for example) and those might be tied into some of those season or mini packages, as well.

cashman

Banned

Bama
UGA
A&M
LSU
USCe
Gatas

Which Big 12 teams are better than any of those? Gatas are the weakest of that bunch due to no offense at all, but their defense is stout.

TEXAS

better than all those overrated SECSECSEC teams

Gondo plz

I'm sure either OSU, Oklahoma, or Texas will prove to be a better team than USCe and Florida this year. I'm just not sure which team that is. And no, it won't be a result of Teh SEC just beats eachother up week in week out thats why USCe and Florida are ranked lower. No, I assure you a Big 12 team this year could at least finish 4th in the SEC. We'll get an idea on which one that would hypothetically be in a few months.

KingGondo

Banned

Bama
UGA
A&M
LSU
USCe
Gatas

I agree with Ron Paul, UF and USCe aren't as good as the best Big 12 teams.

Aggy might be overrated too, but we'll never know because they don't have to play anyone.

Also, if TCU beats LSU I'll be gloating like hell.

mcgruber

Aggy might be overrated too, but we'll never know because they don't have to play anyone.

Don't forget about texas vs ole miss too or when you thrash Mississippi state( who was somehow ranked top 20 for a majority of the season). Has anyone done a big 12 chant yet? Or do opponents chant sec after a loss?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Gloating over Cyan?

andycapps

I disagree. Please don't make me defend Spurrier or the Gatas.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'd actually put LSU behind Florida and USCe. Lost most of their defense, and for all the talent they have, their offense is still pretty bleh (and possibly losing their best returning player, Jeremy Hill)

Zigzz14

When did having a shitty schedule become a good thing in the eyes of voters? I remember when I was younger teams like Penn State and West Virginia were ranked lower because of terrible schedules. Now with teams like Ohio State and Louisville get rewarded? Just don't understand it.

KingGondo

Banned
Don't forget about texas vs ole miss too or when you thrash Mississippi state( who was somehow ranked top 20 for a majority of the season). Has anyone done a big 12 chant yet? Or do opponents chant sec after a loss?
I know that Aggy got lots of "Big 12!" chants during their glorious final season in the conference.
Gloating over Cyan?
We don't have any TCU fans (that post regularly), it falls to me to carry the burden of mocking our mod. It is a duty I take seriously.
I disagree. Please don't make me defend Spurrier or the Gatas.
Oh please, let's argue. Preseason arguments are always the most productive, I've found.

When did having a shitty schedule become a good thing in the eyes of voters? I remember when I was younger teams like Penn State and West Virginia were ranked lower because of terrible schedules. Now with teams like Ohio State and Louisville get rewarded? Just don't understand it.

Aint our fault Cal (sorry cyan) and the rest of the B1G suck ass. Also both team are coming off really good seasons, I dont think its unacceptable to think theyll be top teams.

KingGondo

Banned
Aint our fault Cal (sorry cyan) and the rest of the B1G suck ass. Also both team are coming off really good seasons, I dont think its unacceptable to think theyll be top teams.
Clarett U sucks. My evidence: they needed a last-second TD and 2-point conversion, plus OT to beat Purdue.

Purdue. I mean, Jesus. This is the same Purdue we beat 58-14.

Zigzz14

I'm not calling out OSU, I'm genuinely curios. I remember pre Big Ten PSU teams used to get killed in the polls because they never played anyone. Now it seen as a good thing in the eyes of voters.

I'm not calling out OSU, I'm genuinely curios. I remember pre Big Ten PSU teams used to get killed in the polls because they never played anyone. Now it seen as a good thing in the eyes of voters.

In age when youre scheduling teams 10+ years out its hard to know whos going to be good. When we scheduled Cal they were winning 10 games a year and looked like a great matchup. We also had Vanderbilt, but they pulled out and we have to replace them with Buffalo.

Clarett U sucks. My evidence: they needed a last-second TD and 2-point conversion, plus OT to beat Purdue.

Purdue. I mean, Jesus. This is the same Purdue we beat 58-14.

Purdue has had our number for years now, not sure why, they just always play super close.

Edit:

Heres out future schedule which include, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Va Tech, Oregon, UNC. Next decade is going to be a fun one for OOC games.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/pages/future-ohio-state-football-schedules

KingGondo

Banned
Purdue has had our number for years now, not sure why, they just always play super close.
Purdue is terrible and you should feel bad for not beating them by 40 points.

Heres out future schedule which include, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Va Tech, Oregon, UNC. Next decade is going to be a fun one for OOC games.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/pages/future-ohio-state-football-schedules
I like it when schools schedule good OOC games, and I can't wait until we have an 8-team playoff so it will become the norm.

Pretty damn hyped for OSU-FSU at Jerryworld next season.

LosDaddie

Banned
Been there done that. The good thing about football is that it comes around every year. Enjoy the time with your baby. Mine is turning 8 today. Shit.

Word. I think the worst part of it all is that I just know some shitheads are going to spoil the FSU games for me when I'm working my Sat. shift. :mad:

I hope the b-day was a good one. I have my daughter's coming up on the 8th. Oh, just more $$ that I guess I didn't need.

Championships > Tacos

I wouldn't expect someone from Bama to know what a good, make-you-want-to-slap-your-mama taco is.

Usa today coaches poll is up. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/polls/coaches-poll/?sf15615474=1

Lol at nd at #11 and not sure why Boise is 19

Seems about right to me, I guess. I'd put FSU at #15 and move teams #13-#15 up a spot each.

andycapps

It's seen as a good thing when you're considered the top team in your conference and you have a shitty schedule. They know you should be able to run the table. It's all based off perception though on if you're a top team. There are some that they'll speak about it in a negative light, but the ones they like will get the benefit of the doubt.

Word. I think the worst part of it all is that I just know some shitheads are going to spoil the FSU games for me when I'm working my Sat. shift. :mad:

I hope the b-day was a good one. I have my daughter's coming up on the 8th. Oh, just more $$ that I guess I didn't need.

I hear that. I may be an hour or so late catching up with some games this year, but thankfully I'll have DVR now. I'll be turning my phone off though because my friends are assholes and because I'm too weak to not look at scores. Heck, I may leave my phone at home so I'm not tempted.

Kids are expensive, no doubt. Seems like there's always some expense. We go on vacation in a couple weeks and then school starts, which means new school clothes for my daughter.

Lonestar

I wouldn't expect someone from Bama to know what a good, make-you-want-to-slap-your-mama taco is.

Wouldn't expect someone from FSU to know what multiple championships feels like.
Wouldn't expect someone from FSU to know what meeting expectations feels like.

Lonestar

BQrA1tJCAAAP6Ab.jpg:large

OH SHIT DEYS ON THE FIELD
ITSALLOVER

Lonestar

For Comparison sake:
Alabama's Locker Room
51fadfd52343c.image.jpg

Ole Miss's Locker Room
1203367.jpg

Alabama's Trophy Room (as much as can fit in 1 picture)
5480210.jpeg

Ole Miss's Trophy Room
1203368.jpg

Jhriad

A good season of wins over nobodies and more respected nobodies, their fellow B1G teams (the quality conference wins typically by 7 points or less). Let's not pretend like OSU was anything particularly special last year. They just happened to benefit from a particularly down year for the B1G and an embarrassing non-conference schedule. (Not that the shit non-con is much different than most of the other big schools)

That said, once again this year they will be the best team in the B1G but we won't really be able to judge the quality of the team until we see them in their bowl game. If that opponent is any good. Maybe the rest of the B1G really steps it up this year and starts earning all that lost respect back.
They won't

I look forward to our playoff future and the impending total irrelevance of my conference. *weeps*

Ole Miss's Trophy Room
1203368.jpg

That can't be accurate... can it?

Lonestar

NEWS ALREADY
What we saw
-- After two seasons as a defensive end, LaMichael Fanning opened Friday's practice with the tight ends and H-backs. He went through blocking drills during the first period and ran routes during the final two we were able watch. He caught a few passes, dropped some others. Fanning, who redshirted his first year and played sparsely last season, dropped a lot of weight during the offseason and looks to be even trimmer. He's currently listed at 6-foot-7 and 270 pounds. I'm sure Nick Saban will address the permanence of this move after practice.

-- Also with the H-backs and tight ends was Jalston Fowler, who looks to be running well on his surgically repaired knee. Fowler did this during last year's preseason, but he would often split time with the running backs. He didn't do that today, at least during the portion of practice we were able to watch.

-- Injured linebackers Trey DePriest (foot) and Xzavier Dickson (knee) were back and looking healthy. So was defensive lineman Wilson Love (concussion), wide receiver Kevin Norwood (toe), cornerback John Fulton (toe) and wide receiver DeAndrew White. Dickson, who had his right knee wrapped, was with the outside linebackers. C.J. Mosley, who wore a black non-contact jersey during the spring, was in red.

-- After spending the opening portions of practice with the cornerbacks during the spring, Christion Jones was with the wide receivers. Both Jones and Chris Black took passes out of the slot.

-- Despite not playing the position last season, Cyrus Jones was practicing with the veteran cornerbacks.

-- Dee Hart was with the running backs, joining T.J. Yeldon and Kenyan Drake. The rest will practice tonight.

-- AJ McCarron, Blake Sims and Alec Morris were the quarterbacks at the veterans practice.

Really REALLY hope that we can get a full healthy year out of Fowler, Dee Hart and DeAndrew White. They need some good things to happen to them, after some bad injuries last year.

Everyone's up in arms about Mannings position change. I figure it's about having too many good DE's in front of him, and we must not have found a good enough Blocking TE yet. 6-7 260 lbs is Michael Williams size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom