• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
BQrA1tJCAAAP6Ab.jpg:large

OH SHIT DEYS ON THE FIELD
ITSALLOVER

Did Nick Saban shrink? I'm definitely taller than him now

A good season of wins over nobodies and more respected nobodies, their fellow B1G teams (the quality conference wins typically by 7 points or less). Let's not pretend like OSU was anything particularly special last year. They just happened to benefit from a particularly down year for the B1G and an embarrassing non-conference schedule. (Not that the shit non-con is much different than most of the other big schools)

Coming off a 6-6 season under a completely different offensive and defensive system then the players have ran their entire college career, I would call that pretty special. Regardless of the schedule going undefeated is no easy task.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Damn, Darius Paige, who struggled to get academically cleared to go to Alabama (he's the player in the controversy of going to an "easier" high school in Alabama (Foley), because it gave him a chance to make up the ground he couldn't at his previous school).

Anyway, he is now Medically Disqualified, and won't play at Alabama.

"Darius Paige has medical issues that has caused our medical staff to think that it is not safe for him to play, so he has been medically disqualified," Saban said. "He is here, and we are helping to support him. He will be on scholarship. he will get an education, but our medical staff is working with him right now to try to help improve his condition. I can't comment any further on that."

Sounds like he's already been put on Medical Scholarship, and is why Bradley Bozeman (A Greyshirt player) was allowed to be moved up to full scholarship.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Fanning to TE is kind of surprising (to me at least). If he's having trouble with the receiving aspect that could be a problem though. I assume the coaches know what they're doing, they get paid enough to.

Lonestar

Fanning to TE is kind of surprising (to me at least). If he's having trouble with the receiving aspect that could be a problem though. I assume the coaches know what they're doing, they get paid enough to.

They've been known to move people around. Could be because of all the weight he lost (260 is "light" for our style of DE). Also, Faciane (the big TE) is on suspension, could be a practice fill in while he's out.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I figured the weight loss was due to a change of position (even if he isn't staying at TE) and not the other way around. Guess that could be it though.

Speaking of TEs, wonder how Howard did, he was supposed to be one of the big gets for this class.

Lonestar

I figured the weight loss was due to a change of position (even if he isn't staying at TE) and not the other way around. Guess that could be it though.

Speaking of TEs, wonder how Howard did, he was supposed to be one of the big gets for this class.

Wondering if he was there for the morning practice (as he was an EE) or will be in the night practice (for the incoming players)

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Damn, Darius Paige, who struggled to get academically cleared to go to Alabama (he's the player in the controversy of going to an "easier" high school in Alabama (Foley), because it gave him a chance to make up the ground he couldn't at his previous school).

Sounds like he's already been put on Medical Scholarship, and is why Bradley Bozeman (A Greyshirt player) was allowed to be moved up to full scholarship.
Man, that sounds like a heart issue to me. Hope the kid's okay.

andycapps

What kind of injury did he suffer?

andycapps

Doesn't read like an injury. It reads like they found something during his physical that makes it dangerous for him to play. Heart issue, brain issue. Something like that.

Uh huh. They sure seem to have this happen a lot.

Bama Tight End, Malcolm Faciane, has been suspended for violation of team rules. According to Saban, he can return if he “does the things he is supposed to do at some point in the future.”

Lonestar

Kind of hard to process a new guy for a new guy. Usually, it's a 2nd or 3rd year player that's buried on the depth chart that gets a "mysterious" health condition, not a guy who's been on campus for a week.

Would it make you feel better if he just was never cleared academically and went to JUCO?

andycapps

Kind of hard to process a new guy for a new guy. Usually, it's a 2nd or 3rd year player that's buried on the depth chart that gets a "mysterious" health condition, not a guy who's been on campus for a week.

Would it make you feel better if he just was never cleared academically and went to JUCO?

Yes. That happened to Georgia for a couple guys this year that they offered but have to go to JUCO first. I would think it would be better to do that, because at least you have the chance to get something out of the player rather than him never playing football again because he didn't qualify academically.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Tech will be hosting JUCO WR Nick Kurtz on a recruiting visit this weekend. Normally wouldn't bother posting here but some of you may remember that he's the guy we got some press about a little while back because Wes Welker was tweeting him and talking smack about BYU. His previous visit was cancelled and by all accounts we had parted ways with him since we were basically done at the position (outside of one guy we'll wait on forever) but it looks like some recent murmurings about a depth issue at outside WR in 2014 got us back in the hunt.

Will be interesting to see what happens if he ends up signing with Tech. I don't think any actual punishment would be forthcoming since technically Welker tweeting the guy isn't much different than the thousands of other people that tweet recruits all the time but I imagine it would be back in the headlines and we'd have some pretty butthurt BYU fans.

He's gushed about Oregon before, though, so I imagine he ends up there.

KingGondo

Banned
Those would be fine without 1) those stupid stretch marks they insist on and 2) the stacked Adidas and T logos.

The number font is weird too.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
In an attempt to say something nice: I like the tennessee state outline on the back of the jersey.

Lonestar

Night Practice notes (New signees)

Bolded is Crazy, Underline is why.
This is the No. 1 signing class in the nation in 2013, and it shows. Many of the players in this group look more like juniors than freshmen.

. One of the standouts is Foster. Another is Foster. One is linebacker Reuben Foster. The other is wide receiver Robert Foster. If Alabama had a need at inside linebacker, Reuben Foster physically looks like someone who could start immediately. He looks bigger than 6-foot-1, 244 pounds, which is his listed size on the roster. He moves well.

. Robert Foster is a brand new arrival, but you’d never know. He looks like the second coming of Julio Jones, and not just because of the No. 8 on his jersey. This Foster is 6-foot-3, 187 pounds. Jones was 6-4, 210 as a freshman. Foster is quick and fast. He makes sharp cuts, and he seems to have good hands. What more do you want? He will need time to learn to block the way it’s taught at Alabama, but we’re guessing he will catch on quickly.

. Derrick Henry is a big running back who was impressive in the spring as an early enrollee before he broke his leg and missed the A-Day Game. You’d never know he was injured the way he is running in drills.

. This was a first look at three other prized running backs: Tyren Jones, Alvin Kamara and Altee Tenpenny. Henry towers over all three of them, and if they weren’t wearing numbers, it might be hard to tell them apart. They all have very quick feet.

. Jonathan Allen is working with the defensive linemen. He also is expected to work at linebacker. He and two other freshman defensive linemen – Dee Liner and A’Shawn Robinson – do not look like freshmen. It’s hard to imagine any of the three being redshirted this season.

. At 6-6, 301 pounds, freshman offensive lineman Grant Hill looks big until he stands near Brandon Hill (6-6, 385). It will be easier to judge these linemen when they blend in with the veterans.

. Head coach Nick Saban is giving his new crop of cornerbacks an earful of criticism. Might as well get them used to it right from the start.

4 Horsemen, I mean Runningbacks. Theoretically, they have all the hyped talent to match Last year's class of Yeldon, Gurley, Marshall. Crazy RB Logjam incoming.

impirius

The road kill tracks are stupid, and the logo (home) and "Tennessee" (away) above the numerals aren't necessary, but at least they got rid of the black.

My Gamecocks will probably be getting new jerseys this season. Again. Just hope we will stick with a design.

Texas Tech's new unis unveiled tonight. Gone are the swoopy stripes of the past. Traded in for a straight, two-color line. Only thing new on the helmet seems to be more gloss/less glitter in the base paint, and the new metallic red stripe down the center, that in the back of the helmet, changes to a 3-4" white stripe with the words "Guns Up" in vertical type.

I really like the stripe down the pants. Looks pretty clean, IMO.

(And they're going to sell a ton of those undershirts.)

Something else cool posted by Texas Tech's video guys today: Ever wondered how those huge lights at football stadiums get installed? They had to have one of the tall standards on the East side of Jones Stadium repaired, and Texas Tech video asked one of the workers if he'd wear a GoPro on his helmet while he went up. The resulting video is pretty neat stuff if you aren't too scared of heights.

http://vimeo.com/71610068

Obviously, you can see videos of crazier climbs, but to me, it's always interesting to see of all these things that go into the college gameday experience that we might never even think of when we're at the game. If it's a night game, you just expect that the lights are going to work, but you seldom if ever think about what goes into making that happen. The things that seem so commonplace can be pretty amazing.

I hate so much about what modern college football uniform design chooses to be.

I don't. Wackiest design stuff aside, I like the modern materials and fitment of the new style of unis. Helluva lot better than the old days of baggy double-knit polyester jerseys and/or (even worse) that crappy-looking waffle mesh shit teams wore in the early 80s.

I think you're looking at a lot of this through "good ole days" goggles.

KingGondo

Banned
I don't. Wackiest design stuff aside, I like the modern materials and fitment of the new style of unis. Helluva lot better than the old days of baggy double-knit polyester jerseys and/or (even worse) that crappy-looking waffle mesh shit teams wore in the early 80s.

No, he's a UCLA fan. Thank god my school doesn't use Adidas too.

My sister ran into a similar situation with the private school her kids were in. Really good school for academics, tries to have good athletics too. It's called a "Christian" school, but it's really not. It's a Baptist school, named a "Christian" school so they can get more parents to send them more kids.

My sister had enough of the BS and pulled her last kid that was set to go to HS there.

Boy, they're gonna miss him on their football team, because, barring an injury, he's going to be the awesome. About to start his freshman year and already 6'4" with long arms and 290lbs. He's supposed to grow to 6'7"-8" by the time he's a senior, and he's already been camping and has an ex-NFL player working with him privately in the off-season.

andycapps

Modern materials and fit are fine. Shit design isn't, and I agree with him that a lot of the new designs are horrible.

Branduil

Modern materials and fit are fine. Shit design isn't, and I agree with him that a lot of the new designs are horrible.

Yeah, it's not the materials, it's the awful bells-and-whistles-and-more-whistles design philosophy. Nike's Oregon uniforms have inspired a whole generation of talentless hacks to butcher numerous classic uniforms in the name of "futuristic uniforms." It reminds me of the NBA in the mid-'90s when a bunch of teams decided huge, flashy logos on the front of the jersey was the way to go.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This is legal?

I'd say no, because I don't think that would hold up under scrutiny of Alabama's "good faith" exception for at-will employment, and it's arguably discriminatory based on religion even if it's only relating to specific churches. If the guy went to court and just presented his case terribly I guess they could get away with it based on at-will employment.

I'm no big city lawyer like mre though.

I'd say no, because I don't think that would hold up under scrutiny of Alabama's "good faith" exception for at-will employment, and it's arguably discriminatory based on religion even if it's only relating to specific churches. If the guy went to court and just presented his case terribly I guess they could get away with it based on at-will employment.

I'm no big city lawyer like mre though.

We recently had a case here where a woman got fired from a private catholic school for being gay. It illegal in COlumbus to do but held up in court because it was a private school.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
We recently had a case here where a woman got fired from a private catholic school for being gay. It illegal in COlumbus to do but held up in court because it was a private school.

I wouldn't have thought that would make a difference since it's a workplace and not a club/association like the Boy Scouts or something. But hey, like I said, I'm no lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom