• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
Well, if they do a B1G version, we already know which one Penn State will be.
null_zps4779c11d.png

LegoDad

AAC: Louisville
ACC Winner:Clemson
-Atlantic:Clemson
-Coastal:
Virginia Tech
Big 12: Oklahoma
B1G Winner:Ohio State
-Legends: Nebraska
-Leaders:
Ohio State
Pac-12 Winner:Oregon
-North: Oregon
-South: USC
SEC Winner:Alabama
-East: Georgia
-West:
Alabama
Championship Game:Ohio State vs Alabama
Winner:Ohio State

American (remember guys, it's "American," not "AAC"): Looavull
ACC: Clempson
-Atlantic: Clempson
-Coastal: Va Tech
B1G: Ohio State
-Leaders: Ohio State
Pac-12: Furd
-North: Furd
-South: UCLA
SEC: Dawgs
-East: Dawgs
-West: Tide
Championship Game: Dawgs vs. Buckeyes
Winner: Buckeyes

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Away team seating is in the corner opposite the student section. It's pretty similar to the student seating. I would imagine it would be okay if you're not too far up.

Sounds good. I'm excited to finally get down there! Any recommendations on places to eat? Going to Oakshire and Ninkasi, any other breweries you like?

Zigzz14

Notre Dame starting LB Danny Spond is done with football. Big loss for our team and tough for him because I've heard he is a pretty great guy. He dealt with a sever concussion in high school and had an episode before last season. Word is he might have had a mini stroke. Sucks balls.

It's a damn good thing we signed the best recruit in the country last year Jaylon Smith. Looks like he will take over for Spond.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Not to change your pick or anything, but USC doesn't play Oregon this year, and they have Stanford and UCLA at home.

And yeah this is our first year off the postseason ban
not counting last year where we might as well have been

Yeah, I see that now. Think I made the ASU choice because they have USC at home, and besides Stanford, I think their North opponents are easier, and most are at Home while USC goes to Oregon State and Cal. My guess is tie breaker puts ASU in, but it's a reach. There's no obvious pick in the PAC South.

Our starting corner, Bradley Roby, maybe also the best corner in next years draft got a 1 game suspension for his bar "fight" in bloomington. Our backup running back also got a 1 game suspension, looks like we could be a bit thin at RB first game, luckily we play buffalo.

Piggus

Sounds good. I'm excited to finally get down there! Any recommendations on places to eat? Going to Oakshire and Ninkasi, any other breweries you like?

The two places we go to most often (generally after the game) are Beppe and Gianni's (cool Italian place in an old two story house) and House of Chen (a Chinese place near the alumni center that we've been going to for maaaany years). Also check out The Glenwood which is near the Duck Store for some awesome tomato soup. A lot of people like Tracktown Pizza as well and if you leave the stadium through the park there's almost always a guy along the path handing out coupons for it after the game.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't been to any of the Eugene breweries. :( I guess because my family has been going to home games since the early 80s so we're kinda stuck in a routine each game. I'm going to try to suggest that we do other things while we're there. :p

cdyhybrid

The two places we go to most often (generally after the game) are Beppe and Gianni's (cool Italian place in an old two story house) and House of Chen (a Chinese place near the alumni center that we've been going to for maaaany years). Also check out The Glenwood which is near the Duck Store for some awesome tomato soup. A lot of people like Tracktown Pizza as well and if you leave the stadium through the park there's almost always a guy along the path handing out coupons for it after the game.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't been to any of the Eugene breweries. :( I guess because my family has been going to home games since the early 80s so we're kinda stuck in a routine each game. I'm going to try to suggest that we do other things while we're there. :p

So you've never been to literally the only good places in Eugene? That's crazy.

This Fox Sports 1 NCAA football preview show is pretty dang good so far. Neat seeing former UFC fighter Brian Stann as an analyst for ACC. I guess when you've been in combat in Iraq or Afghanistan, and also have been in the UFC cage, it's hard to get nervous being a college football talking head.

I have no fucking idea why we're not just using Yahoo for this, come the fuck on:

The obvious choice I guess.

ACC Winner: Clemson
-Atlantic: Clemson
-Coastal: Miami

I was gonna pick Georgia for the coastal, but they are @Miami and @Clempson, so I have to give the nod to Miami.

Big 12: Oklahoma State

Very tempted to pick Oklahoma, but the defense just doesn't inspire confidence. Neither does OSU's to be honest, and a new DC gives me concern. It just feels like a toss-up between Oklahoma and OSU and I didn't want to bet on Chokelahoma.

B1G Winner: Michigan
-Legends: Michigan

Just figured to pick against the grain this time. I don't think Ohio State goes undefeated this year, despite the easy schedule -- I think they trip up against a team for "inexplicable" reasons. It's too bad Cal looks to be so bad this year or I would say that's the game they slip up in.

Picked Michigan to beat them in the head-to-head for the mayhem of it.

Pac-12 Winner: Stanford
-North: Stanford

North is a tossup between Stanford/Oregon, so I'm going with the home team in the matchup.

In the south, USC is a slight homer pick but my reasoning is: UCLA is @Oregon and @Stanford in successive weeks. Game 2 is @Nebraska. They're also @USC to close off the year.

Meanwhile ASU while missing Oregon has a pretty rough Weeks 2-5, where they play Wisconsin, @Stanford, USC, Notre Dame in a row. I think they lose 3 of those 4 and ASU is known for going into tailspins and not pulling back out of them.

They're also @UCLA near the end of the season. USC's schedule lines up pretty nicely. We miss Oregon, and get Stanford and UCLA at home. The first four games should all be winnable while the QB situation sorts itself out. That said, USC does have a game @Oregon State which is pretty much an automatic loss for this team.

No promises (it is Kiffin after all) but the way the schedules line up gives USC the slightest edge. Meanwhile USC won't beat Stanford in a championship game, not with the linemen Stanford has.

SEC Winner: Alabama
-East: South Carolina
-West: Alabama

Gonna go with the fake SC to take on Bama, but I don't think it really matters in the end. That said Alabama's record won't be good enough to get them in NC game because there will be two undefeated teams ahead of them.

Championship Game: Ohio State vs Stanford
Winner: Stanford
Nobody

For the hell of it.

Enfinit

ACC: FSU
-Atlantic: FSU
-Coastal: North Carolina
B1G: Meyer
-Legends: Michigan
-Leaders: Meyer
Pac-12: Oregon
-South: UCLA
SEC: Alabama
Championship Game: Alabama vs Meyer
Winner: Nicholas Lou Saban

Last night I did the unthinkable (and made the hardest decision of my life) and sold my Clemson/UGA tickets. We really wanted to go but the closing on our new house is the day before (who knew when we agreed to build a house in March that THIS would be the weekend it finished?). We tried to work it out but the logistics of closing and moving and then trying to make the drive to Clemson the next day just didn't work out.

The good news is I made a ridiculous profit on them so that'll go nicely towards new home items.

Lonestar

Last night I did the unthinkable (and made the hardest decision of my life) and sold my Clemson/UGA tickets. We really wanted to go but the closing on our new house is the day before (who knew when we agreed to build a house in March that THIS would be the weekend it finished?). We tried to work it out but the logistics of closing and moving and then trying to make the drive to Clemson the next day just didn't work out.

The good news is I made a ridiculous profit on them so that'll go nicely towards new DOTA items.

Spot the Fix.

Lonestar

Play Dota, guy. You'll be glad you did.

Can't decipher what's going on, in the screen.
Can't understand the new language created for this game.
Would take 1000 hours to change that.

All that equals: nerp

We're all mostly videogame nerds, but the DOTA crew, well, ya'll have gone deeper down the rabbit hole.

Can't decipher what's going on, in the screen.
Can't understand the new language created for this game.
Would take 1000 hours to change that.

All that equals: nerp

We're all mostly videogame nerds, but the DOTA crew, well, ya'll have gone deeper down the rabbit hole.

Come on, man. If Livewire and boobs can learn it, anyone can.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
ACC: Florida State
-Atlantic: Florida State
-Coastal: Va Tech
Big 12: Texas (why not!)
B1G: Ohio State (did they earn their t back yet?)
Pac-12: Stanford
-South: USC (why not!)
SEC: Bama
-East: Florida
Championship Game: Bama vs Ohio State
Winner: Bama

My shitty, shitty picks.

ACC Winner: Clemson
-Coastal:
Georgia Tech
B1G Winner: Ohio State
-Leaders:
Ohio State
Pac-12 Winner: Oregon
SEC Winner: Georgia
-East: Georgia
-West:
LSU
Championship Game: Ohio State vs Georgia
Winner: Ohio State

Lonestar

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2013/8/16/4629064/you-are-still-young-dammit

Cal's new starting quarterback, Jared Goff, is probably going to make you feel old, as people born in 1994 are prone to do. We are here to comfort you, however, with this non-exhaustive list of Things Jared Goff Is Older Than.

The Jacksonville Jaguars (by 47 days)
Roentgenium (by 55 days)
Netscape Navigator (by 62 days)
Dumb and Dumber (by 63 days)
The World Trade Organization (by 79 days)
Denver International Airport (by 136 days)
Chrono Trigger (by 148 days)
eBay (by 325 days)
McKayla Maroney (by 421 days)
Major League Soccer (by 540 days)
Divorce in the Republic of Ireland (by 867 days)
Cuba Gooding, Jr.'s Oscar (by 892 days)

Things I learned: Chrono Trigger is "newer" than Dumb and Dumber. That doesn't sound right, but then again, Dumb and Dumber is really old :(

Lonestar

To me, CT was a 1980's game.

Didn't help that I didn't really play it till it was already out for 4 or 5 years.

Getting to the point that I could feasibly be a father to college football players (if High School pregger's was a thing I wanted to achieve.)

damn you, time, DAMN YOU.

ACC: Clemson

B1G: Ohio State

Pac-12: Stanford

SEC: Alabama

Championship Game: Alabama vs Stanford
Winner: Alabama

I'm going to make a prediction. Ohio State will lose one game, it will be to Iowa, and it will be because that's the first game I'm going to be in Columbus for in years, AND I'll be there with my father who's celebrating the 40th anniversary of his '74 Rose Bowl team, so that will make the pain extra sharp.

KingGondo

Banned
ACC: Clemson
B1G: The Maurice Clarett University
-Leaders: MCU
Pac-12: Oregon