• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
soonbama.gif

plot twist

Mack Brown is inside the elephant costume.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I think we need to get Chicko an Ole Miss hat.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
A selection of items that Tech fans faxed to Tuberville's Cincinnati fax machine today -

1. A menu to the 50 Yard Line restaurant (which is the one he walked out on a bunch of recruits at before quitting)
2. A screen capture of their at-the-time 101st recruiting class ranking.
3. A fake LOI signed "Leon Sandcastle."

The best part is that they had a live fax cam so we got to watch them grab things off the fax machine and give a little chuckle before crumpling them up and throwing them away.

We're considering doing this for a different school each year. The early leader for next season is TCU, to whom we'll send instructions on how to properly tie a shoelace.

So O'Leary had his NDS press conference and had some zingers.

Someone asked him about a trend where UCF will be working on a kid, identify the talent and offer early on in the recruiting process, then all of a sudden will have other teams from larger leagues (SEC/ACC/Big XII) start on these kids late in the process to try to flip them - like a month or just weeks from NSD.

He was like with the SEC teams that have done this, it is usually the 5 that are actually the SEC which really make recruits second guess or consider flipping then there the other ones that say the SEC letters that just happen to be along for the ride.

Apparently other leagues don't always like dealing with competing against the UF or FSUs of the world in Florida but will go after UCF commits because well, we're just little ole UCF and they know the coaches have done the homework on the recruits. I know the last couple seasons we've lost kids very late in the process to certain SEC teams or other league teams.

I heard Texas was trying pretty late - like in the last couple days to get RB Micah Reed to flip.

I think we need to get Chicko an Ole Miss hat.

So long as you are not joking about a Klan hat ...

Dont worry about it though, my friends would think that "Ole Miss" is probably some new fashion label like Ed Hardy!

The best part is that they had a live fax cam so we got to watch them grab things off the fax machine and give a little chuckle before crumpling them up and throwing them away.

Fax cam - I love American sports coverage!

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
What about this?

sowtkjX.jpg

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Whats the deal with the confederate flag? I assume it is frowned upon seeing as they were the side pro slavery, but is it illegal? Is that flag considered bad taste or racist?

Is Ole Miss still considered a racist University? I wouldnt support them if they are.

You realize that the very name, "Ole Miss," dates back to slavery. Slaves would call the wife of the plantation owner the "Ole Miss."

Whats the deal with the confederate flag? I assume it is frowned upon seeing as they were the side pro slavery, but is it illegal? Is that flag considered bad taste or racist?

Is Ole Miss still considered a racist University? I wouldnt support them if they are.
Bad taste mostly and possibly racist, but not illegal.

As a history person I think it is significantly important and has its place even if people want to display it but I obviously can see if people also don't like it.

And I don't know if a university can be racist. But maybe there are others to better answer that.

ChiTownBuffalo

Bad taste mostly and possibly racist, but not illegal.

As a history person I think it is significantly important and has its place even if people want to display it but I obviously can see if people also don't like it.

And I don't know if a university can be racist. But maybe there are others to better answer that.

Bob Jones University.

Some of student body at Ole Miss has been very active in changing how their university is perceived.

You realize that the very name, "Ole Miss," dates back to slavery. Slaves would call the wife of the plantation owner the "Ole Miss."

Yeah, I initially thought it was French origin with reference to the oldest university in Mississippi but I found a video about the origin of the name.

Its a name that begun due to slavery and is related to a term used by slaves, but its not intentionally being racist (as far as I can see).

I can see the confederate flag being far more offensive than the name.

The entire state is just Miss
issippi
understood. Mock lynching ceremonies are justified as appreciating history! Heritage not hate! Now someone pass the damn Coors!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Ole Miss "Bears" still doesn't sound right.

Should have just gone with Admiral Ackbar and still call them the Rebels.

Limedust

It was a total abortion of a basketball game, but it was nice to see real, hard evidence that JaMarcus Russell is passing on his fashion expertise to other players.

6Auburn23_medium.JPG

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Yeah, I initially thought it was French origin with reference to the oldest university in Mississippi but I found a video about the origin of the name.

Its a name that begun due to slavery and is related to a term used by slaves, but its not intentionally being racist (as far as I can see).

I can see the confederate flag being far more offensive than the name.
Well, you've certainly got the Ole Miss apologist mind set down already.

Talon

This is a pet peeve of mine.

For being concerned with remembering history, the people that fly these flags seem to combine aspects of the two armed forces flags.

This is the actual confederate flag of the unrecognized rebel nation that was the CSA:
125px-CSA_FLAG_28.11.1861-1.5.1863.svg.png

This is the navy jack:
120px-Conf_Navy_Jack_%28light_blue%29.svg.png

This is the battle flag (note that it's square):
120px-North_Virginia_Third_Bunting.svg.png

Schmitty

A selection of items that Tech fans faxed to Tuberville's Cincinnati fax machine today -

1. A menu to the 50 Yard Line restaurant (which is the one he walked out on a bunch of recruits at before quitting)
2. A screen capture of their at-the-time 101st recruiting class ranking.
3. A fake LOI signed "Leon Sandcastle."

We're considering doing this for a different school each year. The early leader for next season is TCU, to whom we'll send instructions on how to properly tie a shoelace.

:jnc

andycapps

So if I'm fully understanding the origin of the term "Ole Miss," this really should be the university's mascot.

mggrvNW.jpg

Frankly, I don't give a damn.

Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech is getting pretty frustrated with recruiting the state of Georgia. So much so that he's thinking he'll have better luck the further he gets from his university's home state.

Johnson said coaches have talked about targeting private schools outside of the state, possibly venturing into Cincinnati and Nashville. First, Johnson said, Tech’s reputation holds up well outside of the state and seems to do better the farther one gets from Georgia.

andycapps

Georgians are all too aware of GTech's 11-2 guy/girl ratio.

Also, triple option.

True, out of state kids won't know it's one big sausage party there. Triple option has to kill their recruiting. Though with Chan Gailey they never really had great classes either, they just weren't quite as bad as they've gotten. This is the worst class that Johnson has had yet, rankings wise.

Talon

True, out of state kids won't know it's one big sausage party there. Triple option has to kill their recruiting. Though with Chan Gailey they never really had great classes either, they just weren't quite as bad as they've gotten. This is the worst class that Johnson has had yet, rankings wise.
Gailey always recruited well on the defensive side of the ball for some reason. He just couldn't find a QB to save his life.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I was discussing that with some coworkers yesterday. I have no clue. But Chan Gailey was there. You want to get a laugh? He only had 4 offers and was the 6th rated receiver that year in 'crootin. It was between Tech and UGA.

Sweet, I had a higher SAT score.

6'4" and a 4.4 in highschool....4 offers...whaaaa

Interesting Article
Lets see if anyone knows which player he's talking about.
Hint: The 2 schools involved were playing in a bowl game against each other in January 2010.

andycapps

Sweet, I had a higher SAT score.

6'4" and a 4.4 in highschool....4 offers...whaaaa

I did too. Say what you will about Rivals and 247, their recruiting analysis has improved a lot since then. I looked at who we got that year and where the rankings were, and they were pretty far off on quite a few. But yeah, I have no clue why nobody else was after him, or why he was ranked so low.

Lonestar

I did too. Say what you will about Rivals and 247, their recruiting analysis has improved a lot since then. I looked at who we got that year and where the rankings were, and they were pretty far off on quite a few. But yeah, I have no clue why nobody else was after him, or why he was ranked so low.

oh geez, thanks, you made me look up that years Alabama list (2004)

Back then, we treated 4 stars like 5 stars. Came away with 4 4-stars that year!

But, there were a few actual good players in that class, that far surpassed their ratings. 2 Stars Drew Davis (RT for years) and 2 star Nick Walker (TE). 3 Star Antoine Caldwell (Center) and JPW (QB, who somehow is still the career passing leader @ Alabama). DJ Hall was in that class, and if he wasn't a drugged out, lazy spazz, he'd have done ok in the NFL.

andycapps

I'm assuming those were probably his final 4 teams, not his only offers.

Actually, you seem to be right. Rivals seems to have changed how they organized things since then. Scout shows he had 5 offers but only went on 2 visits. They also rated him as a 5 star, but only the 3rd best receiver that year. The #1 rated receiver by Scout that year was Early Doucet and #2 was Fred Davis.

oh geez, thanks, you made me look up that years Alabama list (2004)

Back then, we treated 4 stars like 5 stars. Came away with 4 4-stars that year!

Haha I looked at Georgia's too. Saw some players that earned those stars, and some that were just complete busts. Like I said, the recruiting websites are doing a lot better job of analyzing players than they were then.

andycapps

Haha, Grantham called our AD last night to inform him of the Saints interest in interviewing him. So the reports that he's interviewing today and then Rob Ryan tomorrow are probably correct. Honestly, if he leaves it's whatever, but I wish that it were anybody but the Saints since I'm a Falcons fan.

KingGondo

Banned
OSU's new offensive coordinator is...

Drumroll please...

Mike Yurcich?

Current OC of the Shippensburg (PA) Red Raiders, a D-II school?

I guess Gundy wants a guy who'll stick around for 3-4 years this time.

Also, found this amusing:

Anthony Slater said:
Yesterday, Mike Gundy said he didn't understand social media and wasn't close to hiring an OC. Today, he announces the hiring via Twitter.
GUNDY LIED

Lonestar

Did he even play DT this season or just OT?

Seeing people say he played OT this year. Maybe he just hated playing that side of the ball, and just wants to attack people.

Maybe he's the next Fluker. Back in HS, I wasn't sure if he was going to be an OT or a DT, as he was rated as both. Him as a DT would scare the shit out of me. But maybe he'd be too tall for that role.

Limedust

Seeing people say he played OT this year. Maybe he just hated playing that side of the ball, and just wants to attack people.

Maybe he's the next Fluker. Back in HS, I wasn't sure if he was going to be an OT or a DT, as he was rated as both. Him as a DT would scare the shit out of me. But maybe he'd be too tall for that role.

Practicing against guys every bit as good as he is will either change his effort level (if it really is lacking) or force a transfer a la Sentimore. That's pretty much how it always plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom