• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Guard: Crowder choses Clemson over UGA.
Not really over UGA, nobody ever thought he was coming. They just make you give a second option as a recruit.

Toby Johnson still may be coming, but Radi Nabulsi is saying it'll be a while til they know. My guess is they have to see if he'd qualify academically.
But hey, Ole Miss ya'll.
It's notable that Ole Miss got a top 5 ranking because they've always been horrible. Bama pulling in a huge class isn't surprising when they just won the MNC last year and 3 out of last 4 years.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
wZ86dyR.jpg

:lol

Lonestar

Going with 247Sports Composite Rankings (which is a combination of all the sites), UGA finishes with only 2 of the top 10 (3 in top 15) players from the State of Georgia. Niiice

cdyhybrid

That elephant looks like something out of a movie montage. Some acid-fueled night of debauchery in some seedy S&M club or something.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
looks like a disappointed family who is well aware of the Mack Brown curse.

They're bored. They're watching people accept baseball, golf, etc. scholarships, because that high school (thankfully) has not learned the art of stringing people along and showing what they want to watch last. They did the football scholarships first, and then everyone changed the channel.

34463586.jpg

Edit: lol @ Auburn. Montravius Adams' shirt:

BCbeZcqCIAIul1X.jpg:large

andycapps

Going with 247Sports Composite Rankings (which is a combination of all the sites), UGA finishes with only 2 of the top 10 (3 in top 15) players from the State of Georgia. Niiice
Losing our recruiting coordinator a few weeks ago wasn't a great thing for in state recruits as it turns out. Still, we weren't after a lot of those players either because we had a lot of depth or they didn't fit our system. Still, Adams and Kamara would have been nice to have and would have been good pickups. I don't think UGA put any effort into Nkemditche with him being a lock for Ole Miss with his brother being there.

Georgia as a state had a ton of good recruits this year.

Ceebs

So what is the over for Ole Miss recruiting violations for this year? I really want to put money on it. No fucking way they got that sort of class legit.

Lonestar

Nick Saban: lists athletic quarterbacks in the NFL, doesn't list Cam Newton.

;P

Funny that, most coaching staffs are setting up high five moments on signing day, Nick Saban is working on 2014 :lol He has no time for Joy.

Ole Miss has less of a chance of reaching the national championship game than Boise.

You can book that one no problem.

really?

If, and its a big if, Ole mis have an undefeated season or one loss, they will be close to qualifying for the national championship game or Sugar Bowl.

If Boise State have a similar season, they are likely still not going to be near the national championship game and may get a BCS bowl game but still not likely.

Hey, its still probably unlikely that Ole Miss will make the national championship game but at least following them they are a chance, which Boise are less of.

In 2014, Ole Miss V Boise St in the Kickoff game will be fun to watch.

Lonestar

really?

If, and its a big if, Ole mis have an undefeated season or one loss, they will be close to qualifying for the national championship game or Sugar Bowl.

If Boise State have a similar season, they are likely still not going to be near the national championship game and may get a BCS bowl game but still not likely.

Hey, its still probably unlikely that Ole Miss will make the national championship game but at least following them they are a chance, which Boise are less of.

In 2014, Ole Miss V Boise St in the Kickoff game will be fun to watch.

True. If Ole Miss keeps at or near this pace, they could be a quality team, while I have this feeling like Boise is on the decline. But Ole Miss will always have a tougher sled to pull, just by being in the SEC West.

Scout
1 Ohio State
2 Michigan
3 Alabama
4 UCLA
5 Notre Dame
t6. LSU
t6. Texas A&M
8 Florida
9 Mississippi
10 Georgia
11 Nebraska
12 Clemson
13 Auburn
14 Washington
15 Florida State
16 Oregon
17 USC
18 Oklahoma
19 Vanderbilt
20 Mississippi State
21 South Carolina
22 Pittsburgh
23 Texas
24 Oklahoma State
25 Baylor
Rivals
#1 Alabama
#2 Ohio State
#3 Florida
#4 Notre Dame
#5 LSU
#6 Michigan
#7 Mississippi
#8 Texas A&M
#9 UCLA
#10 Auburn
#11 Florida State
#12 Georgia
#13 USC
#14 Clemson
#15 Oklahoma
#16 South Carolina
#17 Nebraska
#18 Washington
#19 Vanderbilt
#20 Tennessee
#21 Oregon
#22 Virginia Tech
#23 Texas
#24 West Virginia
#25 Mississippi State

247 Sports
1 Alabama
2 Ole Miss
3 Florida
4 tOSU
5 Notre Dame
6 LSU
7 Texas A&M
8 Michigan
9 FSU
10 Auburn
11 UCLA
12 Georgia
13 Virginia Tech
14 Oklahoma
15 Clemson
16 Oregon
17 Washington
18 Texas
19 Miami
20 South Carolina
21 Nebraska
22 Arkansas
23 Baylor
24 Miss. State
25 USC

ESPN
1Alabama
2Florida
3Ohio State
4Notre Dame
5Ole Miss
6Michigan
7LSU
8Texas A&M
9Florida State
10Georgia
11Auburn
12UCLA
13Clemson
14USC
15Texas
16Virginia Tech
17South Carolina
18North Carolina
19Washington
20Oklahoma
21Miami (FL)
22Vanderbilt
23Nebraska
24Penn State
25Mississippi State

247Sports Composite (supposedly using all of these and coming out with an overall average)
1 Alabama
2 Ohio State
3 Florida
4 Michigan
5 Notre Dame
6 Ole Miss
7 LSU
8 Florida State
9 UCLA
10 Texas A&M
11 Auburn
12 Georgia
13 Clemson
14 USC
15 Oklahoma
16 Texas
17 Miami
18 Washington
19 Oregon
20 Virginia Tech
21 South Carolina
22 Arkansas
23 Nebraska
24 Mississippi State
25 Tennessee

cdyhybrid

really?

That's the problem. Bama and LSU are the perennial favorites in that division, and aTm looks like they're setting up for at least 2 more years of really strong play.

Lonestar

Guess I shouldn't be surprised that ESPN gave Texas it's highest spot on all the lists.

Reading Shaggybevo..geez, they are in the dumps.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Are there players that Alabama wants that they don't actually get? I could understand players not wanting to languish in the depth chart but outside that....

cdyhybrid

Are there players that Alabama wants that they don't actually get? I could understand players not wanting to languish in the depth chart but outside that....

Yeah. Some guys just have very specific interests (only wanna play near home, only want to say on the coast, want to play in LA to be around Hollywood, etc.).

Lonestar

Ole Miss probably got the most of these types of players. Tunsil and Conner are easy guesses. Eddie V. will probably be one too. I'm pretty sure Alabama would want Nkemdiche. J. Reed (Florida), Bell (tOSU), and probably lots of others. But we haven't had many (or any) defections in the last few years.

Reading this topic on Shaggybevo about Mack's PC today :lolol

Mack said this wasn't a great year for DT's in the state, so he wasn't concerned that UT didn't sign any.

Thanks for A'Shawn!

That's the problem. Bama and LSU are the perennial favorites in that division, and aTm looks like they're setting up for at least 2 more years of really strong play.

in 2014 or 2015, Ole miss could be challenging for second place ahead of LSU and aTm.

Given the strength of LSU, Bama and aTm and potential strength of Ole Miss, there could be four teams all around 10-2 seasons, potentially giving four top 10 teams in the one division.

Just need Ole Miss to have another couple years of strong recruiting, which is bound to happen after this year.

edit: this is another reason why I have decided to change teams, this division is definitely the most exciting in all of college football IMO.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yeah. Some guys just have very specific interests (only wanna play near home, only want to say on the coast, want to play in LA to be around Hollywood, etc.).

Ole Miss probably got the most of these types of players. Tunsil and Conner are easy guesses. Eddie V. will probably be one too. I'm pretty sure Alabama would want Nkemdiche. J. Reed (Florida), Bell (tOSU), and probably lots of others. But we haven't had many (or any) defections in the last few years.

Yeah I guess geography helps other teams. Alabama is like Green Bay in that its hard to attract players by default.

I'm surprised that Ole Miss beat out Alabama on some players...I mean Alabama probably opens up as a 2:1 favorite or better to win it all.

I wish Arkansas could even get half of Bama's class.

cdyhybrid

in 2014 or 2015, Ole miss could be challenging for second place ahead of LSU and aTm.

Given the strength of LSU, Bama and aTm and potential strength of Ole Miss, there could be four teams all around 10-2 seasons, potentially giving four top 10 teams in the one division.

Just need Ole Miss to have another couple years of strong recruiting, which is bound to happen after this year.

edit: this is another reason why I have decided to change teams, this division is definitely the most exciting in all of college football IMO.

Well, the NCAA investigation clock is ticking, so they better get on it!

Lonestar

Maybe. Not considering the ugly conspiracy stuff, this was a bit of a "perfect storm" with a couple of the big gets.

With a known schedule that consists of Texas, Alabama, LSU and A&M, if Ole Miss doesn't show marked improvement from last season, they could still face having 3-4 losses, before getting into the unknown teams (Arkansas, Auburn, Vandy, MSU).

Well, the NCAA investigation clock is ticking, so they better get on it!

I admit it looks dodgy from the outset but there are a set of special circumstances which fell into place for Ole Miss - Nkemdiche's brother already being there and Tunsil, I think, not wanting to move away from Mississippi.

And having Treadwell already committed early, its three top 150 recruits already going to Ole Miss.

If you were a good player and see that Ole Miss is a team which will give you a run as a true freshman, you will be playing in one of the most watched and scouted divisions, and in 2 or 3 years will potentially playing in a championship team, it looks very enticing.

For players like Conner, its a good option.

mre

I admit it looks dodgy from the outset but there are a set of special circumstances which fell into place for Ole Miss - Nkemdiche's brother already being there and Tunsil, I think, not wanting to move away from Mississippi.

And having Treadwell already committed early, its three top 150 recruits already going to Ole Miss.

If you were a good player and see that Ole Miss is a team which will give you a run as a true freshman, you will be playing in one of the most watched and scouted divisions, and in 2 or 3 years will potentially playing in a championship team, it looks very enticing.

For players like Conner, its a good option.
Tunsil is from Georgia...

Limedust

awwww

Who was it that called Eddie V to ND?

Oh yeah, it was ND. ND knows the future!

Only time Saban has ever held his NSD presser before everybody was signed was over Cyrus K., and you the know the story there. Incidentally, the only time Saban ever had a coronory in front of others over a recruit was Bobby Massie back in 2009...

Dear Lord that is terrifying. Also, I heard Vanderdoes was between UCLA and ND with his mom leaning heavily towards ND. Good thing she didn't steal his letter of intent.

mre

Dear Lord that is terrifying. Also, I heard Vanderdoes was between UCLA and ND with his mom leaning heavily towards ND. Good thing she didn't steal his letter of intent.

Congrats on the pickup of Vanderdoes. It completely ruined my plans of making lists of things that Eddie Vanderdoes and Eddie Vanderdon't.

Eddie Vanderdoes go to Notre Dame.

Eddie Vanderdon't go to Bama.

Eddie Vanderdoesn't would be more betterer from a grammar standpoint, but just lacks the same flow.

Shit, you're right. Regardless, the point was that he's not from Mississippi, as was stated by our foreign friend.

Yeah, thats why I prefaced it with "I think".

There was one of the top Ole Miss recruits that supposedly only lives down the road of the University and so didnt want to move too far away from home. I thought that was Tunsil but its obviously someone else.

My point was that there were a good set of circumstances for Ole Miss to get 2 or 3 Top 50 recruits. This in turn made the university more attractive to other top recruits looking for a team which they would get a good run at during their freshman year and not be redshirted.

Im just trying to deflect the conspiracy theories over Ole Miss enticing players through illegal payments, seeing as Ole Miss is my new team.

Can anyone summarise what the university scholarships allow for me? I assume free tuition, accommodation and meals. But I read that some get an allowance or something like that as they are not allowed to work.

Lonestar

Think you're thinking of Tony Conner. His High School is an Ole Miss Farm. If he went anywhere else in the state, most people think he'd go to Alabama, but to Ole Miss he goes.

So yeah, can't guarantee that High School will have a top 10 player every year.

Think you're thinking of Tony Conner. His High School is an Ole Miss Farm. If he went anywhere else in the state, most people think he'd go to Alabama, but to Ole Miss he goes.

So yeah, can't guarantee that High School will have a top 10 player every year.

Yeah I know you cant expect that but if they can show improvement this year and get a win over one of Alabama, LSU or aTm then future prospects will really consider Ole Miss a good option to get game time for a competative team in a strong league.

From the ESPN aticle:

espn said:
"I understand why people are speculating or raising an eyebrow," Freeze said. "But we had Robert's brother here, and the mom said she wanted him here. We had Treadwell's best friend here, and South Panola [Conner's high school] is right down the road. Golson fits in here; he's a country boy and loves the place. There were a lot of factors involved."

Maybe it was a perfect storm.

"If people know the No. 1 recruit is coming to your school, it creates some buzz for you and our coaches capitalized on it," Freeze said. "They did a good job of executing our 12-month plan. We did it with hard work, a little luck and God's goodness to us."

But Freeze also knows his top-five ranking in recruiting won't mean anything this coming season.

"One of the first things we have to start doing immediately is tempering expectations," Freeze said. "I know that one good recruiting class doesn't mean that you've arrived, especially not in this league."

Good luck with that.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ugh-freeze-hear-rumors-facts-college-football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom