• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Chan recruit Calvin Johnson?

How did GT end up with Calvin Johnson?
He did recruit Calvin Johnson. In that same class we also signed 20 two star players. Chan was strange. He could get a a good one here and there and would surround them with terrible players. Paul Johnson just signs a lot of average players with few bad or really good ones.

Frankly my dear, that origin stinks of bullshit folk etymology (I thought mre was joking before I looked it up and saw a lot of people actually believe it). I totally think Ole Miss is full of racists, but I don't believe a word of it.
I guess I mistakenly placed my trust in our resident southern big city lawya.

Draxal

So Schiano pillaged Rutger's again taking the DC Robb Smith. Flood's pretty much the only coach from the 2011 staff left.

Honestly, I could see somebody like Raheem Morris being the head coach in 2014.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Frankly my dear, that origin stinks of bullshit folk etymology (I thought mre was joking before I looked it up and saw a lot of people actually believe it). I totally think Ole Miss is full of racists, but I don't believe a word of it.

There's more truth than fiction in my statement. I am, admittedly, putting my faith in Wikipedia here (or, to be accurate, in the sources cited by Wikipedia which I have not read), but here's what Wikipedia has:

The student yearbook was published for the first time in 1897. As a way to find a name for the book, a contest was held to solicit any suggestions from the student body. Elma Meek, a student at the time, submitted the winning entry of Ole Miss. This sobriquet was chosen not only for the yearbook, but also became the name by which the University is now known.[14] Ole Miss is defined as the school's intangible spirit, which is separate from the tangible aspects of the university. [15][16] Meek's source for the term is unknown. Some historians theorize she either made a simple diminutive of "Ole Mississippi" or derived it from "ol' missus", African American eye dialect for a plantation's "old mistress." [17][18][19]

[17] Cabaniss, J. A. (1949). The University of Mississippi; Its first hundred years. University & College Press Of Mississippi. ISBN 978-0-87805-000-0.
[18] Eagles, Charles (2009). The Price of Defiance: James Meredith and the Integration of Ole Miss. The University of North Carolina Press. ISBN 978-0-8078-3273-8.
[19] Sansing, David (1999). The University of Mississippi: A Sesquicentennial History. University Press of Mississippi. ISBN 978-1-57806-091-7.

Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech is getting pretty frustrated with recruiting the state of Georgia. So much so that he's thinking he'll have better luck the further he gets from his university's home state.
Tech fans have know this for years and have pretty much hoped he would take an approach like this. Thankfully he seems to be listening now. If it were up to me GT would spend less than 25% of their time recruiting Georgia.

This is a pet peeve of mine.

For being concerned with remembering history, the people that fly these flags seem to combine aspects of the two armed forces flags.

This is the actual confederate flag of the unrecognized rebel nation that was the CSA:
125px-CSA_FLAG_28.11.1861-1.5.1863.svg.png

This is the navy jack:
120px-Conf_Navy_Jack_%28light_blue%29.svg.png

This is the battle flag (note that it's square):
120px-North_Virginia_Third_Bunting.svg.png

We actually fly the stars and bars at DKR, part of the whole Six Flags over Texas thing.

No one complains about it because I don't think anybody associates it with the confederacy at a glance.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Galloway is no longhorn homer though, he's a TCU guy

I know he's primarily a TCU homer but that's easily the worst of the drive time sports radio shows so I never listen enough to know who else in college he homers for.

It's saying something that Galloway and Company is actually a worse show than RAGE on 105.3. Would probably pass it if they dropped Galloway, though, I don't remember the other guys being all that terrible.

mre

Yeah, I saw that, I just still don't believe it. :p And even they just say "some historians theorize."

It's really just that this sounds so similar to folk etymologies I've heard in the past, especially concerning racism. It's setting off my bullshit detectors. Which aren't infallible, but there you have it.

A few folk etymology examples:
Picnic comes from "pick a nigger," because white southerners would go on picnics and choose a slave to lynch as the entertainment.
Honky comes from an old practice of white people driving around honking their horns to indicate a lynching was about to happen (I had a loooong argument with somebody about this one. I guess a professor had told it to him, so he was unable to imagine that it might not be true.)
Buck being used as a term for dollars comes from when you could trade slaves for things, because male slaves were called bucks. "That horse cost me two bucks," etc.

I'm probably putting too much thought into this, but etymology really interests me.
What's wrong with saying "some historians theorize" when you then cite to three specific examples of historians theorizing exactly that (assuming the statements are actually in the cited sources)? Short of finding a primary source from the lady who submitted the name, in which she spells out the purposes behind her name choice, I'm not sure you can go beyond "theorizing" on the etymology of the name, Ole Miss.

If I had to guess, I'm sure the official reason for picking Ole Miss was that it was simply a shortened version of Ole Mississippi. That it was also a play on the slave phrase for the wife of the plantation owner would not have been lost on Mississippians in the 1890's, and you would be hard pressed to convince me that it had no bearing in the selection of Ole Miss.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
With the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, classes were interrupted when the entire student body from Ole Miss enlisted in the Confederate army. Their company, Company A, 11th Mississippi Infantry, was nicknamed the University Greys, and suffered a 100% casualty rate during the Civil War

I lol'd.

I feel bad.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

Limedust

I think the kid needs to get himself emancipated.

Indeed.

For anybody else not paying attention, the mother is hiring lawyers to secure her ability to dictate where her son will go to college on football scholarship. His own preference appears to have no bearing.

Pardon my language, but fuck that lady.

andycapps

Tech fans have know this for years and have pretty much hoped he would take an approach like this. Thankfully he seems to be listening now. If it were up to me GT would spend less than 25% of their time recruiting Georgia.

That seems like admitting defeat in your state, which seems foolish when Georgia is such a fertile recruiting state. It would take a lot of things for Tech to be the top in state school that recruits think of coming up (getting rid of Johnson is the first step), but going a Notre Dame like route of hitting up all these Catholic schools for your recruits doesn't seem like a long term solution. Particularly since most of the top talent is not coming from those schools.

mre

Indeed.

For anybody else not paying attention, the mother is hiring lawyers to secure her ability to dictate where her son will go to college on football scholarship. His own preference appears to have no bearing.

Pardon my language, but fuck that lady.

What happened to his coach being his legal guardian?

That seems like admitting defeat in your state, which seems foolish when Georgia is such a fertile recruiting state. It would take a lot of things for Tech to be the top in state school that recruits think of coming up (getting rid of Johnson is the first step), but going a Notre Dame like route of hitting up all these Catholic schools for your recruits doesn't seem like a long term solution. Particularly since most of the top talent is not coming from those schools.
There is nothing wrong with admitting defeat when you are already defeated. We have done a really poor job recruiting Georgia for a long time. Long before Paul Johnson came here. It stems from several factors. One, our reputation in Georgia isn't very good. Two, we are competing with most of the major SEC schools for every recruit. Three, we are in a state that ranks near the bottom in test scores in the country. Most of the really good football players come from even worse schools than the already poor average so we are basically recruiting guys that we hope will qualify and have some interest in academics, which isn't many. We are much better off doing targeted recruiting in other areas of the country then continually beating our heads battling the factories for recruits who have little interest in education.

mre

That's good. The kid should be allowed to go wherever he wants to. Hopefully the dad's signature holds up.

I just wanted to point out that the kid could still go to Arkansas without his mother's permission. It seems the only bar is that the NCAA mandates 21 (from what I've heard) in order to be able to sign. You can still attend school and be scholarshipped without signing your LOI. The only person or entity to whom the LOI really matters is the school who gets the recruit locked in. Of course, if Collins got hurt between now and when he enrolls without signing the LOI then Arkansas would not have to honor his scholarship.

Above info courtesy of Bill King.

ChiTownBuffalo

Colorado and Nebraska have agreed to renew the rivalry! Starting in 5 years. Wtf.

ChiTownBuffalo

As much as I love Schiano for taking my Alma Mater and not make it a laughing stock anymore. WOULD YOU PLEASE STOP STEALING EVERY COACH ON OUR SQUAD?

He took everyone but 2 guys last year, and now he takes our DC to be his LB Coach.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Stoutland didn't do much recruiting, and the offensive line system was put in place by Joe Pendry, and will continue to be so with whoever takes that spot.

mre

Jeff Stoutland, Offensive Line Coach for Alabama, just pulled a giant dick move: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/2/7/3964744/alabama-football-jeff-stoutland-eagles-nfl

Yeah, he left for the Philadelphia Eagles day after signing day.
It's only a dick move if he didn't tell the players he was recruiting (Eddie Jackson and Anthony Averett) that he was leaving. Plus, we're still at the rumor stage.

If he did keep it cool and then bolted without telling his kids, then, yeah. Dick move.

i thought coaches leaving after signing day was the norm.

It is, but damn the entire fanbase loved Robb Smith because he pretty much coached the defense as well as Schiano did, minus the silly mistakes Greg would usually make.

EDIT: Ohh you weren't talking to me >_<

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
It's only a dick move if he didn't tell the players he was recruiting (Eddie Jackson and Anthony Averett) that he was leaving. Plus, we're still at the rumor stage.

If he did keep it cool and then bolted without telling his kids, then, yeah. Dick move.

hey, neither of those guys are offensive lineman!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I enjoyed that book. Apparently Nixon would call up the Redskins coach and offer him playcalling advice.

Draxal

It is, but damn the entire fanbase loved Robb Smith because he pretty much coached the defense as well as Schiano did, minus the silly mistakes Greg would usually make.

EDIT: Ohh you weren't talking to me >_<

Yeah, losing Smith sucked, although in this situation you had to realize Smith was totally set this past season, we had so much returning talent on d, and next season they're all gone. It was a good time for him to bail.

(Although, he completely fucked up the Louisville game, Bridgewater couldn't walk and he refused to blitz at all .... which was stupid as hell).

Hopefully, Cohen keeps the ball rolling.

and oh yeah Ron Prince sighting, he's probably going to be the OC.

Hot girls, party school atmosphere, playing time, ess-eee-see, fun up-tempo system, beautiful campus and town, rising program, Blind Side, etc.

Australia guy: you have open invitation to my Grove tent if you ever come to a game.

Sorry but I missed this comment but I found it when I clicked on your profile after seeing the Black Bear.

Thank you for the invitation. I will make sure I learn the words to Hotty Toddy before I arrive!

To attend a college football game is definitely on my to do list so I may as well try to make it a Ole Miss game if I am ever in the USA. I may try to head there after the 2014 World Cup in Brasil, which I am definitely going to attend.

I youtubed some videos of the Grove tailgating parties, looks like a great picnic party atmosphere. Do you have to pay to set up a tent there or have tickets to the match?

I am yet to see the Blind Side (not a fan of Sandra Bullock and the trailer looked kind of not my type of film). I may check it out if Ole Miss is in it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom