• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a difference between competing against CUSA schools and competing against BCS level schools on a regular basis for recruits.

Paganos didn't deliver on much in the way of recruits this year. I will acknowledge that he's a good coach though.

Edit: Yeah Draxal, getting Ron Prince would be huge.

I mean honestly, there wasn't much he could do.

The one gem in the fold Skai Moore was ushered away from Rutgers by his immediate family.

I'd seriously try to pull either Hafley or Joe Susan back to Rutgers. Hafley could wreck havoc in NJ and PA with his recruiting ties, and Joe Susan was Greg's right hand man for the longest time until he got the HC gig at Bucknell.

I mean honestly, there wasn't much he could do.

The one gem in the fold Skai Moore was ushered away from Rutgers by his immediate family.

I'd seriously try to pull either Hafley or Joe Susan back to Rutgers. Hafley could wreck havoc in NJ and PA with his recruiting ties, and Joe Susan was Greg's right hand man for the longest time until he got the HC gig at Bucknell.

Skai Moore was a Dave Cohen recruit. Not a Jim Panagos recruit. Regardless, an ace recruiter like Hafley could have sewn that family issue up without a problem.

As for getting Susan back - not a chance. He's done and gone. He also wasn't the ace recruiter that Hafley was.

We only had two ace recruiters at Rutgers that could bring in multiple four star prospects - they were Jeff Hafley and Brian Angelichio. Angelichio is doing nice work in the NFL. He's not coming back.

Maybe we can get Hafley back, but more likely that we poach Darrel Wilson from Iowa.

Draxal

Skai Moore was a Dave Cohen recruit. Not a Jim Panagos recruit. Regardless, an ace recruiter like Hafley could have sewn that family issue up without a problem.

As for getting Susan back - not a chance. He's done and gone. He also wasn't the ace recruiter that Hafley was.

We only had two ace recruiters at Rutgers that could bring in multiple four star prospects - they were Jeff Hafley and Brian Angelichio. Angelichio is doing nice work in the NFL. He's not coming back.

Maybe we can get Hafley back, but more likely that we poach Darrel Wilson from Iowa.

We have had our disagreements about Schiano, but I will confess that he was an ace closer and Flood hasn't shown that he can close like Schiano.

I don't think Hafley's coming back, but I wouldn't be suprised if Campanile turns out to be a stud. He has ties (BC's coach his bro, former oc at Bosco) and we all NJ recruiting is about that.

I also don't think Peppers is going to end up at Stanford, there's going to be a blood bath for him (and I have no clue where's he going to end up).

krzy123

Maybe they do it every year, but only 14 5 stars makes it sound like it's a "weaker" looking senior class.

The #1 guy has a former Auburn player as head coach, and the #3 guy will be hard to pull in past LSU.

i think last year they started at 12 or so 5-stars

anyways i think we have a decent shot at #1, the other 2 VA guys in the top 10, not so much.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The mid/bottom of the big 10 is just does not compare at all to the SEC.

Is there a conference that does? Honest question.

I don't know why the B1G seems perpetually caught in some fictional rivalry with the SEC. Does it come from SEC fans? Because I haven't seen a B1G fan claim the conference was better (or even on par) with the SEC in a long, long time.

For like thirty years the conference was all UM & OSU, with a dash of some decent Iowa teams; then for like the next 20 it was UM + OSU + PSU + Wisky. Then for the past ten or so, it's been kinda ravaged by parity and scandal.

So I guess I'm asking: at what point in history, exactly, has the B1G ever been truly on par with the SEC? The 1950s? The 80s? The collection of Bama, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida and Auburn has traditionally given the SEC five "power" programs, while the B1G has been pretty lucky to get three or four teams rolling at once, and God forbid OSU & UM have a slump, what's left? Michigan State, Iowa and Wisconsin? I'm sure the SEC is trembling with all that winning tradition those teams bring to the table.

I'm B1G, through and through. Just saying, in my 35 years, the SEC has always been slightly to a lot better. It just gets shoved in everyone's face every day now seems to be the only difference.

Draxal

Is there a conference that does? Honest question.

I don't know why the B1G seems perpetually caught in some fictional rivalry with the SEC. Does it come from SEC fans? Because I haven't seen a B1G fan claim the conference was better (or even on par) with the SEC in a long, long time.

For like thirty years the conference was all UM & OSU, with a dash of some decent Iowa teams; then for like the next 20 it was UM + OSU + PSU + Wisky. Then for the past ten or so, it's been kinda ravaged by parity and scandal.

So I guess I'm asking: at what point in history, exactly, has the B1G ever been truly on par with the SEC? The 1950s? The 80s? The collection of Bama, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida and Auburn has traditionally given the SEC five "power" programs, while the B1G has been pretty lucky to get three or four teams rolling at once, and God forbid OSU & UM have a slump, what's left? Michigan State, Iowa and Wisconsin? I'm sure the SEC is trembling with all that winning tradition those teams bring to the table.

I'm B1G, through and through. Just saying, in my 35 years, the SEC has always been slightly to a lot better. It just gets shoved in everyone's face every day now seems to be the only difference.

The disparity is much worse now, you had decent PSU schools in the 90's and Nebraska was a power then (even though they obviously weren't in the conference yet).

Just look at this year rival's top 25 recruiting rankings, three Big 10 schools in the top 25, TEN Sec schools there. I mean don't you find it depressing when the Big 10 loses in every bowl game possible which sucks for fans of those schools? I mean yeah, the Maurice Clarret U/UM are are allowed to have a slump once in a while, but the middle teams/bottoms teams have to start showing up a bit more.

Part of the reason this is mattering more is the consolidation to the 3-4-5 super conferences.

I mean yeah, the Maurice Clarret U/UM are are allowed to have a slump once in a while, but the middle teams/bottoms teams have to start showing up a bit more.

The B1G programs I blame the most are Iowa, Illinois, and Purdue.

None of these teams has any legit excuses for being as bad as they've been the past few years.

The disparity is much worse now, you had decent PSU schools in the 90's and Nebraska was a power then (even though they obviously weren't in the conference yet).

Just look at this year rival's top 25 recruiting rankings, three Big 10 schools in the top 25, TEN Sec schools there. I mean don't you find it depressing when the Big 10 loses in every bowl game possible which sucks for fans of those schools? I mean yeah, the Maurice Clarret U/UM are are allowed to have a slump once in a while, but the middle teams/bottoms teams have to start showing up a bit more.

Part of the reason this is mattering more is the consolidation to the 3-4-5 super conferences.

I frankly dont give a shit about the rest of conference nor the teams in it. As long as Ohio State is still performing and recruiting on top 5-10 level I dont give a shit.

Draxal

I frankly dont give a shit about the rest of conference nor the teams in it. As long as Ohio State is still performing and recruiting on top 5-10 level I dont give a shit.

Then what does Meyer gain from calling out the other schools? He's not doing it for no reason at all.

KingGondo

Banned
#52 KD Cannon had a great visit to Lubbock this past weekend and is a lock for an All Name Team in 2014.
079A7B55-067E-4E86-B8D3-969113BEB2B3-5609-000002ECCB5752AD_zpsa685bbfb.jpg

This kid has swag, he'll want to play for a program with good uniforms.

andycapps

Shit and I even forgot LSU.

True, one could make an argument that you only count Florida if you count from 1990 on. They're definitely a modern power.

Draxal said:
Then what does Meyer gain from calling out the other schools? He's not doing it for no reason at all.

Strength of schedule. He wants the B1G teams to be better to increase their chances of making a MNC if they're undefeated. Also it would better prepare them for facing an SEC team in the postseason.

KingGondo said:

That explains why I don't see Oregon on his list.

cashman

Banned
One repercussion from the Bev Kearney fall out is that the sister of the top Texas prospect Tony Brown signed with LSU instead of UT and the thinking is that Brown would go wherever his sister went.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

I will punch the first columnist that calls him Demolition Man

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Interestingly enough, "swag" has been a pretty common term amongst recruits in interviews ever since our new young staff took over and at least one recruit mentioned that Kingsbury is selling our relationship with Under Armour as making us the "Oregon of the South." :jnc

There's also another recruit with a similar-ish hair style, Willie Ivery, that is big on Tech that I like for another reason - after he took an official visit to TCU for the Tech game last season he noted in an interview that "there were almost as many Tech fans at the game as TCU fans." Combine that with the win and the fact that 2013 Tech signee was also at that game and mentioned it as being huge in his decision to ultimately sign with Tech and that was a pretty damn nice road game for us.

gRoP3tH.jpg

I think pretty much everyone outside of the SEC feels this way. Although a lot of non Texas/Oklahoma Big 12 fans have started pretending that they care about their conference too.

Interestingly enough, "swag" has been a pretty common term amongst recruits in interviews ever since our new young staff took over and at least one recruit mentioned that Kingsbury is selling our relationship with Under Armour as making us the "Oregon of the South." :jnc

I wouldn't imagine UA having the financial luxury of giving your team newly designed uniforms and helmets for every game like Nike can. Maybe if UA can provide a couple of solid snazzy alt uniforms that would be sufficient enough.

Okay now thats clearly just a picture of the Honey Badger

It's a minor miracle that Malzahn was able to deliver a top ten class. I hate losing Foster since he'll be a star anywhere, but Liner is a problem kid that would have burned out at Auburn. He's better off at Bama where Saban can whip him into shape.

It's too bad that we'll be looking up at Bama, A&M, and LSU for the next few years and that's the BEST CASE scenario with Ole Miss and Miss St on the rise. What a loaded division in a greatly imbalanced conference.

Big 10 has lifted ban on night games in November, Urbz getting his way already. Prime time OSU MIchigan game coming your way soon.

Also coaches are debating on 9 or 10 game conf schedule, 8 game game schedule is off the table.

Ceebs

It's a minor miracle that Malzahn was able to deliver a top ten class. I hate losing Foster since he'll be a star anywhere, but Liner is a problem kid that would have burned out at Auburn. He's better off at Bama where Saban can whip him into shape.

It's too bad that we'll be looking up at Bama, A&M, and LSU for the next few years and that's the BEST CASE scenario with Ole Miss and Miss St on the rise. What a loaded division in a greatly imbalanced conference.

Hey now, we have an up and coming Vandy on our side of the conference now.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I think pretty much everyone outside of the SEC feels this way. Although a lot of non Texas/Oklahoma Big 12 fans have started pretending that they care about their conference too.

only the crazy people of SEC fandom, does this whole "cheer for the SEC" thing.

As far as I know, Alabama's won 3 out of 4, and the SEC has been dickriding our dynasty with all it's "7 in a row" nonsense.

cdyhybrid

Big 10 has lifted ban on night games in November, Urbz getting his way already. Prime time OSU MIchigan game coming your way soon.

Also coaches are debating on 9 or 10 game conf schedule, 8 game game schedule is off the table.
Prepare for a sea of bitching about TV determining game times.

Draxal

Peppers listed his top five today, in order Stanford/University of Maurice Clarret/Wolverine U/some stupid sec school/some stupid independent school.

This makes me cry.

And I have a gut feeling he's going to get Sabaned which is going to make me cry even more.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Sounds like Alabama hired Pat Hill for OL Coach. Comes from being the OL Coach at the Falcons, and was previously the man who built up Fresno State and was McElwain's Boss at the time.

bluemax

Banned
bluemax in OP said:
1. Alabama
2. Texas A&M
3. Georgia
4. Florida
5. South Carolina
6. LSU
7. Notre Dame
8. FSU
9. Oregon
10. Vanderbilt

Mark Schlabach said:
1. Alabama
2. Stanford
3. Ohio State
4. aTm
5. Oregon
6. Georgia
7. Florida
8. Louisville
9. Notre Dame
10. SCAR
13.LSU
16. FSU
25. Vanderbilt

My troll top 10 was only 3 teams different from the ESPN top 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom