• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limedust

Sounds like Alabama hired Pat Hill for OL Coach. Comes from being the OL Coach at the Falcons, and was previously the man who built up Fresno State and was McElwain's Boss at the time.

Pat Hill would have had a much better record at FSU if he could have kept any of his assistant coaches for more than one year.

Tanolen

Damn that sucks, and they are not little offenses, 2nd degree robbery and fradulent use of a credit card, they are looking at several years in prison.

Eddie was also arrested the day before for a unregistered pistol.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Well, looks like Bama is gonna cruise by USC for early Fulmer dominance.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
hearing a 16 point total. Would be a light year if 16 wins the Fulmer Cup.

Chase Goodbread ‏@ChaseGoodbread
Bond for Calloway $5k. Between $60-$65k for others.

niiiice

Haven't seen why, but a Miss Alabama contestant who I think is also a softball player at Alabama, was arrested yesterday as well.

stormie-lane-henderson-20130211-stormie-lane-henderson.pic1.jpg

Pete Roussel ‏@coachingsearch
I have learned that Nick Saban has hired Kevin Steele to serve in an off-the-field capacity.

CoachingSearch.com has learned that veteran coach Kevin Steele will join Nick Saban's staff at Alabama in an off-the-field capacity.

Steele did not coach in 2012.

He previously served as the defensive coordinator at Clemson under Dabo Swinney from 2009-2011.

Steele served under Nick Saban in 2007 and 2008 at Alabama. His previous coaching experience includes stints at Florida State, Baylor, Carolina Panthers, Nebraska, Tennessee, Oklahoma State, and New Mexico State.

It is believed that Steele will serve in a player personnel role.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Damn that sucks, and they are not little offenses, 2nd degree robbery and fradulent use of a credit card, they are looking at several years in prison.

Eddie was also arrested the day before for a unregistered pistol.
It sounds bad, but its seriousness (and, more importantly, how the DA deals with them) will depend upon what they actually did. Here's the Alabama law:

Section 13A-8-42 Robbery in the second degree.
(a) A person commits the crime of robbery in the second degree if he violates Section 13A-8-43 [mre's note: see below] and he is aided by another person actually present.
(b) Robbery in the second degree is a Class B felony.
Section 13A-8-43 Robbery in the third degree.
(a) A person commits the crime of robbery in the third degree if in the course of committing a theft he:
(1) Uses force against the person of the owner or any person present with intent to overcome his physical resistance or physical power of resistance; or
(2) Threatens the imminent use of force against the person of the owner or any person present with intent to compel acquiescence to the taking of or escaping with the property.
(b) Robbery in the third degree is a Class C felony.
As a matter of explanation, the force described in 13A-8-43 doesn't mean you physically attacked or battered them. An example of this would be that a person who grabs a purse from off a woman's shoulder or out of her hands has committed 3rd degree robbery in Alabama, while a person who picks a purse off the floor that the woman has dropped or has placed there, has committed the lesser offense of theft.

Robbery is serious, but at least there was no weapon involved. That's BIG BOY crime, just ask Auburn. Still, if guilty, they most likely will, and should, be gone. If I were to take a guess, I would assume that Eddie William's gun charge came when the police first questioned them about this and not in a separate event.

Draxal

So in 2014, is it going to be 9 0r 10 conference games for the Big 10?

I have a feeling it's going to be 10. Every team pretty much loses an extra home game, but with contract renogations/ more neutral site games coming up and fans crying playing about not playing in the shoe or the big house enough, I think the money's there.

Im seeing Urbz next Thursday, Ill ask him and report back.

It was a rhetorical question, Andycapps pretty much stated the answer (and it's also why FSU is so mad about the ACC).

Draxal

Too late! Im doing it now! Get your questions ready folks, I will be the neogaf Q and A session.

Can you ask him to stay out of NJ? I mean I know you guys are going to crush, but crushing us with you guys pretty have an all NJ secondary is going to be pretty demoralizing.

mre

It sounds bad, but its seriousness (and, more importantly, how the DA deals with them) will depend upon what they actually did.
Speaking of which:

Cecil Hurt ?@CecilHurt
Arrested UA players struck students, stole belongings and fled, per police report and @TNews_Steph ... http://tmi.me/Kexfo

Both said that they were approached by the men who asked to borrow a cigarette lighter, before striking them in the head, stealing their belongings and leaving in a dark-colored SUV, according to the UAPD. The first victim said that the robbery took place at 12:35 a.m. in the 800 block of Campus Drive. The second student was robbed at 1:20 a.m. in the 200 block of Seventh Avenue.
Two events. Two robberies. Two assaults. Why no assault charges?

Tanolen

It sounds bad, but its seriousness (and, more importantly, how the DA deals with them) will depend upon what they actually did. Here's the Alabama law:

As a matter of explanation, the force described in 13A-8-43 doesn't mean you physically attacked or battered them. An example of this would be that a person who grabs a purse from off a woman's shoulder or out of her hands has committed 3rd degree robbery in Alabama, while a person who picks a purse off the floor that the woman has dropped or has placed there, has committed the lesser offense of theft.

Robbery is serious, but at least there was no weapon involved. That's BIG BOY crime, just ask Auburn. Still, if guilty, they most likely will, and should, be gone. If I were to take a guess, I would assume that Eddie William's gun charge came when the police first questioned them about this and not in a separate event.

Yea eddie was not charged with armed robbery, however he was arrested two days in a row for seperate crimes.

Lonestar

HONEYBEAR #21 ♏ ‏@BrentCalloway
@kyle2lamb first it wasn't a credit card and 2 I wasn't even awake during the robbery you don't kno what happened so dont try me dude

Stephanie Taylor ‏@TNews_Steph
Arrest warrants: DJ Pettway punched student in the head and face and kicked him in the ribs and back before stealing laptop @tuscaloosanews

Williams and Hayes said they also attacked the student, according to the warrants @tuscaloosanews

UA players accused of robbery said that they knocked the victim unconscious @tuscaloosanews

Clay Travis ‏@ClayTravisBGID
Geniuses. RT @TNews_Steph: Players admitted to using credit card stolen in the robbery to buy snacks from vending machine at Bryant Hall

NCAA's fault. Players don't even have enough money for vending machine food!

mre

Yea eddie was not charged with armed robbery, however he was arrested two days in a row for seperate crimes.
If I were to take a guess, I would assume that Eddie William's gun charge came when the police first questioned them about this and not in a separate event.
Not that it matters much in the grand scheme of thing, but, if true, it does, at least, take away some of the "how could anybody be so dumb as to get arrested the day after getting popped for having an unlicensed firearm" factor.

mre

Apparently, Calloway wasn't involved in the robbery, but might have only used the stolen ACT cards (UA ID cards that have money attached to them for use in local restaurants and vending machines) in a vending machine in his dorm or, hopefully, just ate some of the ill-gotten gains. From what the other three have seemingly admitted to, they should all be gone. May be some hope for Calloway.

Lonestar

The level of stupidity that they thought they could assault people, steal their stuff, and not get caught baffles me. Morans.

Well, none of them are the big name players, so they might not be entirely noticeable. Now, if they're wearing Alabama gear when doing it...

Got a mental image of them decked out at 2 AM wearing full pads and helmet, tackling people on the street :lol

Lonestar

Eddie Williams told police that he attacked the second victim while Hayes and Pettway stood by. Knocked him unconscious and stole his wallet

At least we signed Robert Foster (I think Williams was heading towards WR, right?) Gotta cut him loose. Gotta show LSU and Tennessee that when a player knocks another person unconscious, they have to go.

andycapps

Well, none of them are the big name players, so they might not be entirely noticeable. Now, if they're wearing Alabama gear when doing it...

Got a mental image of them decked out at 2 AM wearing full pads and helmet, tackling people on the street :lol

Just forget that they're football players for a moment, these types of robberies are going to be investigated, and they'll probabably be caught. The dumb thing was taking those cards which would have been reported stolen and then they could track them when they were used. The level of idiocy here is still pretty high, even if they weren't big name players.

But let's face it, 3 big guys robbing you at night, you're going to assume they're athletes. Plus they were probably wearing the typical athlete sweatpants and hoodie Nike Bama swag. Those guys are pretty identifiable on campus.

Lonestar

Eddie Williams was charged with having a gun after a disturbance at the BP on the Strip early Sunday morning

So it was an entirely different event :lol

Will Lowery ‏@jwlowery29
Praying for safety of victims and also for the young men.They probably just threw away the biggest opportunity of their lives for some chips

new Acronym. IDIFTC

now with brand names

IDIFTNFDC

Tanolen

Apparently, Calloway wasn't involved in the robbery, but might have only used the stolen ACT cards (UA ID cards that have money attached to them for use in local restaurants and vending machines) in a vending machine in his dorm or, hopefully, just ate some of the ill-gotten gains. From what the other three have seemingly admitted to, they should all be gone. May be some hope for Calloway.

Doesnt the card have the person's picture on it, or atleast the name? So wouldn't he have to know it didnt belong to him, so it would still be stealing?

Lonestar

Did he file the serial number off like Crowell?

http://www.sectalk.com/board/public/imported_images/i219.photobucket.com/IsaiahCrowell3.jpg[/][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Stephanie Taylor ‏@TNews_Steph
Police: “A clerk in the store told police that Williams came into the store and was acting erratic" @tuscaloosanews

Williams was "threatening that he had something in the trunk of his vehicle after a dispute about paying for gas” @tuscaloosanews

"Suspect and other occupants of the vehicle left the store and began messing with something in the trunk." @tuscaloosanews[/QUOTE]

Working towards that angle. Maybe we'll find out sooner or later.

For now, that Deer Antler...makin people cray cray

Everything must get the web2.0, vector graphics treatment, apparently.

I'm going to start asking people to straight up uninstall Fireworks and Illustrator.

mre

So it was an entirely different event :lol
I will never underestimate the stupidity of people again.
Doesnt the card have the person's picture on it, or atleast the name? So wouldn't he have to know it didnt belong to him, so it would still be stealing?
Unauthorized use of a credit card/debit card is second degree theft. Depending upon how the law treats the ACT card (i.e., is it viewed as a cc or dc?), it will either be second degree or third degree theft.

andycapps

Unauthorized use of a credit card/debit card is second degree theft. Depending upon how the law treats the ACT card (i.e., is it viewed as a cc or dc?), it will either be second degree or third degree theft.

From what was posted earlier by the lawyerin' folks, it seems like second degree robberies are considered felonies. I'd also assume that possession of an unregistered firearm would be a felony as well.

Lonestar

Sounds like both robberies were within 1/2 - 1 mile of the stadium. :lol Dude, at least do this when the stadium isn't within eyeview!

mre

From what was posted earlier by the lawyerin' folks, it seems like second degree robberies are considered felonies. I'd also assume that possession of an unregistered firearm would be a felony as well.

I'm not sure about the firearm charge but robbery of any degree is a felony.

impirius

I like the new Beaver logo. It's three colors (down from five), can be flipped to always face forward, loses the somewhat clumsy wordmark (just look at those Es), and looks like part of the same family as the recently-introduced interlocking OS logo.

The current one for comparison:

pgzyosjo.gif

Those counterspaces. Gah!

I like the new Beaver logo. It's three colors (down from five), can be flipped to always face forward, loses the somewhat clumsy wordmark (just look at those Es), and looks like part of the same family as the recently-introduced interlocking OS logo.

pgzyosjo.gif

Yes, it's a definite upgrade.

Hopefully they get rid of that hideous script as well.

KingGondo

Banned

It's inevitable that in 10-20 years lots of schools will return to their old school logos, then 10-20 years after that the cycle will repeat.

This one's just awesome.

I also miss OSU's old logo:

I'd love to see 1988 throwbacks at some point. 2013 is the 25 year anniversary of the greatest individual season in CFB history, get Nike on the phone!

I don't think Ohio State has ever truly had a fully cohesive athletics branding strategy. It's always been a mishmash.

Furthermore, I don't know why they crapped up the new athletics logo in-house. Let Nike take a horrible, hideous stab at it and then we can pare it down, a la Sparty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom