• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
He's signed through 2018 I believe and I don't really see him getting any offers that can outdo Big12 money in the near future, certainly not until he proves himself as a HC.

Not too worried about offense, QB's seem to do pretty well even in their first year in the system, and we had a 4 star prospect(Ford Childress) redshirting this year who I think gets the nod next year. Although we won't be able to replace Tavon and Stedman, we always seem to have another short speedy guy to replace the last one(Darius Reynaud/Jock Sanders/Noel Devine/Tavon Austin).

Defense can only get better...right?
Let's hope so, because you guys just didn't have the athletes to match up in the Big 12.

iamtheb

I saw a Rax a week ago. Think it was in Kentucky somewhere off 23 when I was doing my pilgrimage back from Athens, GA to here. Didn't know they still existed.

My late grandfather worked for Rax for many years, he even invented a sandwich for them. I had no idea they were still around either.

bluemax

Banned
ESPN released their final top 300.

And they updated their recruiting class ranks, Gatas jump Notre Dame.

The Pac 12 rankings out of that list are kind of crazy:

6. USC 14 recruits
17. Washington 21 recruits
20. ucla 20 recruits
21. Oregon 13 recruits
28. Cal 21 recruits
37. Arizona 27 recruits
38. Stanford 10 recruits

Why are Oregon and Stanford taking so few players? How is it that Oregon still has such low recruiting rankings despite being the most dominant team in the conference for 3 or 4 years now.

bluemax

Banned
Still can't believe A&M has 34 fricking recruits.

Yeah look at the break down of their class:

QB 2
RB 1
WR 7
TE 1
OT 4
DT 3
DE 2
OLB 1
MLB 6
S 4
CB 3

Why so many MLB and WR? They have 17 players that Scouts gives 2 or 3 stars to and 4 JuCo guys.

cdyhybrid

ESPN released their final top 300.

And they updated their recruiting class ranks, Gatas jump Notre Dame.

The Pac 12 rankings out of that list are kind of crazy:

6. USC 14 recruits
17. Washington 21 recruits
20. ucla 20 recruits
21. Oregon 13 recruits
28. Cal 21 recruits
37. Arizona 27 recruits
38. Stanford 10 recruits

Why are Oregon and Stanford taking so few players? How is it that Oregon still has such low recruiting rankings despite being the most dominant team in the conference for 3 or 4 years now.

Oregon is really young, mostly FR/SO. Furd I dunno.

Reuben Foster and 3 other SEC-area guys visiting this weekend! Got here just in time for the high of 35F today.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah look at the break down of their class:

Why so many MLB and WR? They have 17 players that Scouts gives 2 or 3 stars to and 4 JuCo guys.

I imagine they're chasing someone to fill Swopes shoes, on top of trying to find the best 4/5 WR's they can, to have on the field (Air Raid and all). Possible they don't have alot of MLB's either.

Alabama wise, Hubbard is coming back for next season.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Not 100% yet, I don't think, but word is that Wallerstedt has turned us down for the co-DC job. Defense could be a dumpster fire next season. Haven't hired anybody yet that's ever put together a game plan and the co-DC we've already hired only has 4 years coaching experience, the last 3 of which were as a position coach in the NFL.
I look forward to your next coach also always having been a total douchebag once he's fired or leaves.

I see what you're getting at but in my defense both of the former coaches I consider to have been total douchebags have been getting banned from high schools, insulted by recruits, insulted their own players, and/or had multiple abuse allegations brought against them, amongst other things. Not exactly your standard sour grapes on my part.

I see what you're getting at but in my defense both of the former coaches I consider to have been total douchebags have been getting banned from high schools, insulted by recruits, insulted their own players, and/or had multiple abuse allegations brought against them, amongst other things. Not exactly your standard sour grapes on my part.

Maybe the Tech administration itself has issues if they keep going for those types of characters, then.

cdyhybrid

MWC wants that Hartford market!

The three guys coming up to visit with Foster this weekend are Maurice Swain, Joe Sanders, and Joshua Outlaw, all from Georgia.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe the Tech administration itself has issues if they keep going for those types of characters, then.

Old administration is gone, thankfully. Gerald Myers has done a lot for the University throughout his career but he made some very questionable decisions near the end. Overall Leach was of course an overall positive for the University no matter how the later years turned out (I've said before I wouldn't mind having 2000-2007 Leach back but not 2008-2009), but Bob Knight was basically just hired on the good ol' boy system (longtime friend of Myers', brought excitement but not GREAT results on the court) and his son Pat was basically just hired and kept on as a GOB system favor (which was a bad choice). Tuberville was similar; He didn't have a direct connection to Myers like Knight did, but we didn't really bother with a proper coaching search once his name was in the hat other than failing to moneyhat Briles.

New AD Kirby Hocutt definitely hit a stumbling block with his hiring of Billy Gillispie as head coach of the basketball team, as his flameout would likely have shone brighter than anybody's if anybody gave a crap about TTU basketball, but in his defense that was mostly done before he got hired and the fact that he officially hired him in his first week or two of employment was almost more symbolic than anything. His other hires (Tadlock as baseball coach, Kingsbury as football coach) are both pretty exciting because they're at least known quantities on the personality front; Kingsbury for obvious reasons and Tadlock because he was also a player at Tech and he was an assistant at Tech for a while before he got hired as HC. Can't be dismissed that Hocutt was at Miami while all the crap with illegal benefits was going down, though.

Honestly I don't think Kingsbury is as 100% gung ho "I'm staying here for the rest of my career" as a lot of Tech fans seem to think he is; I think with a lot of success he could be gone as early as 3 or so years from now but between his relationship with the University and his assistant's relationships with the University at least we know they're not going to try to intentionally screw us over like Tuberville did.

Or Lubbock is home to an unspeakable ancient evil that gradually transforms its citizens into wretched caricatures of what they always aspired to be

The transformation is less about actual unspeakable ancient evils and more about dust storms eroding your physical form into something eldritch and terrifying.

MASB

MWC wants that Hartford market!

Beautiful conference realignment. What mountains is Cincinnati near? And what is UConn west of? Nova Scotia?

If these rumors are at all true, I hope they have the decency to change the conference name. Maybe MUSA (Mountain USA)! Still wouldn't be accurate, but better!

cashman

Banned
If the Mountain West had kept Utah, BYU, and TCU and added Colorado or something like that then you'd have a pretty good football conference.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
GT got hosed also. They have to come back to death valley this year.

But we don't LOLOLOLOL. We're obviously not going to win all our ACC games, not by a long shot, but at least there isn't anyone we absolutely can't beat.

Playing VT in blacksburg again stinks because they suck ass on the road.

squicken

Mike Stoops said:
“They’re gonna be tough to deal with. If they can keep him (Manziel) out of jail or keep him eligible, he’s gonna be pretty good. (Eschbach has begun to laugh, after which Stoops lets loose a single chuckle.)

“If they can keep him off the Twitter, he might win three or four Heismans. He’ll have that type of ability.”

Sure, it's true, but he shouldn't have said it

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/spo..._eligible_more_Heismans_could_be_his/54-18529

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Jesse Williams (our massive NG/situational FB) posted this picture with the caption: "Planking on ND's Defense"

hIxpe.jpg

Ripclawe

Banned

LegoDad

So kstate just lost Defensive Line Coach Joe Bob Clements to Oklahoma State for personal reasons, aka family.

He was our best recruiter... Kstate needs to up the money in the football program if they want to keep competing.. Sigh.

But..... he did get "bowled over?"

Just because you give a paper interviews, they should shy away from the reality of the fact that ND got completely outclassed in every aspect of the game?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Last night Tech landed Dee Paul, a small school recruit that saw his profile blow up a bit in recent months, and today we get news that Wallerstedt has agreed to become Tech's DC after a week of back and forth in which A&M was trying to keep him. Pretty decent span of 12 hours for us.

cdyhybrid

He really should have. Dude played one of the worst games of his career. Teo is not as bad as he looked out there last week.

I believe that.

I'm not surprised his parents would pull something like that. Typical Hawaii helicopter parents that flip out over anything remotely resembling criticism. Luckily for him he left the little bubble of the islands so he's used to dealing with it.

I believe that.

I'm not surprised his parents would pull something like that. Typical Hawaii helicopter parents that flip out over anything remotely resembling criticism. Luckily for him he left the little bubble of the islands so he's used to dealing with it.

Still probably not as bad as some quarterback parents like Mustain or Mallet.

Last night Tech landed Dee Paul, a small school recruit that saw his profile blow up a bit in recent months, and today we get news that Wallerstedt has agreed to become Tech's DC after a week of back and forth in which A&M was trying to keep him. Pretty decent span of 12 hours for us.
That's huge. I'm surprised you were able to snatch Dee Paul away from Miami.

Fun fact of the day, The Ohio State University classes of 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012, and2013 will graduate without ever witnessing a home loss to Michigan in football or basketball.

cdyhybrid

"And was there one thing, a highlight, that stood out to Coleman during his visit? "The girls," he said. "They are so much different from high school girls. Oh my goodness, there was such a big difference. I didn't do anything bad or anything…just the conversations and the lifestyles they live up there are a whole way different than how they do it in Cali."

:jnc

mre

Fun fact of the day, The Ohio State University classes of 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012, and2013 will graduate without ever witnessing a home loss to Michigan in football or basketball.
Funner fact of the day: Since Saban arrived in the SEC, every single recruiting class he has signed has won a MNC.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
That's huge. I'm surprised you were able to snatch Dee Paul away from Miami.

I can't tell if you have him confused with somebody else or if you're mocking my "blowing up" comment. It seems like the mocking one but I can't imagine why you would have chosen Miami in that case.

Regardless, our staff liked him enough and considered the competition stiff enough that the day he was set to announce his commitment Kingsbury did an in-home visit with the coach who recruits the region and every defensive coach we had hired at that point (Co-DC, CB coach, and S coach) and Munday, TX isn't exactly on the way to anyplace else they may have been going.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Paul Dee joke.

Ah. I had no idea who that was. ::edit::More accurately I guess I should say I just forgot who he is because the more I think about it the name sounds a bit familiar.::/edit::

Incidentally, our current AD is the guy that apparently replaced Paul Dee at Miami.

Former Ohio State Offensive Cord Jim "I'm the worst Oline coach of all time" Bollman, has accepted the same position at Purdue.

I cant wait to go against his oline! We'll finally get to see what it like being on the other side.

mre

Former Ohio State Offensive Cord Jim "I'm the worst Oline coach of all time" Bollman, has accepted the same position at Purdue.

I cant wait to go against his oline! We'll finally get to see what it like being on the other side.

You misspelled Bob Connelly, there.

Funner fact of the day: Since Saban arrived in the SEC, every single recruiting class he has signed has won a MNC.

Most fun fact of the day: Kyle Flood was effectively fired as the Rutgers OC before somehow falling upward into the Rutgers HC position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom