• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read somewhere that it's rumored that Kiffin didn't call the plays in the bowl game, and that he won't confirm or deny that. Frickin' weird as hell.

bluemax

Banned
The full USC schedule is out now:

Aug. 29 at Hawaii
Sept. 7 Washington State
Sept. 14 Boston College
Sept. 21 Utah State
Sept. 28 at Arizona State
Oct. 10 Arizona
Oct. 19 at Notre Dame
Oct. 26 Utah
Nov. 1 at Oregon State
Nov. 9 at California
Nov. 16 Stanford
Nov. 23 at Colorado
Nov. 30 UCLA

Also the Pac 12 Championship will be played on Saturday this year.

Kind of wish the conference games were flipped. I'd rather play the Zona schools later in the year after they've collapsed and not play so many road games in potentially cold weather. November games in Corvallis, Berkeley and Boulder could be bad.

Edit: Hawaii and ASU games are on Thursdays. Oregon State game is on a Saturday.

Kind of wish the conference games were flipped. I'd rather play the Zona schools later in the year after they've collapsed and not play so many road games in potentially cold weather. November games in Corvallis, Berkeley and Boulder could be bad.

Edit: Hawaii and ASU games are on Thursdays. Oregon State game is on a Saturday.

At least there's no giant road game stretch this year.

Regarding Pac-12 scheduling, it's great to see the Big Game back as the final game of the season for Cal.

November games in Corvallis, Berkeley and Boulder could be bad.
Are you concerned about rain? It really doesn't get very cold here, and rain isn't too much of an issue most of the time.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The best Louisville-ACC opponent story is that Duke pulled out of a game with us a few years ago and were supposed to find a replacement team for us and didn't. We sued Duke for the buyout fee, and Duke's lawyers defense in court was literally that Duke is so horrible in football that even 1-AA teams would be a better opponent than them. And the judge agreed with them.

Thats actually not what the ruling stated, but thats what people thought it meant. Considering we were 2-1 vs 3 of the same opponents you played this year, its not likely we'll run from L'ville again (and we should have been 3-0 vs those teams). Honestly I don't know why we changed it it because when it came time to fulfill the other game, you were post Patrino/pre Strong and not great and we were no longer a complete joke.

cdyhybrid

Regarding Pac-12 scheduling, it's great to see the Big Game back as the final game of the season for Cal.

Are you concerned about rain? It really doesn't get very cold here, and rain isn't too much of an issue most of the time.
He's concerned because the annual Tedford/Cal collapse is at risk now.

bluemax

Banned

Colder than LA!

Although I do remember us winning the last rainy game we played in Berkeley.

I believe it was this one:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=273140025

Also the full Pac 12 schedule is up:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/52501/2013-pac-12-schedule

Some notes from Ted Miller:

It features a nonconference slate of 15 games versus teams that participated in bowls following the 2012 season, with four against nonconference opponents who participated in BCS bowls, and that doesn't include Ohio State, which went unbeaten.

Five teams play five home conference games: Arizona State, Oregon, Stanford, USC, Utah and Washington.

Arizona State plays Notre Dame at Cowboys Stadium on Oct. 5, the first of three Pac-12 games with the Fighting Irish. USC is at Notre Dame on Oct. 19 and Stanford plays host to the Irish on Nov. 30.

The season opens Thursday, Aug. 29, as USC visits Hawai’i and Utah hosts Utah State.

The opening week of the season also features key nonconference matchups: UCLA hosts Nevada, Washington State visits Auburn, California hosts Northwestern and Washington hosts Boise State as it re-opens Husky Stadium.

The schedule features six games on five Thursday night dates, most notably Oregon at Stanford on Nov. 7, a potential top-five battle which we're ready to predict could garner the highest ratings any Thursday night ESPN game has received.

The schedule’s three Friday dates feature USC at Oregon State on Nov. 1, Washington at UCLA on Nov. 15, and the Apple Cup and Civil War games the day after Thanksgiving on Nov. 29.

And the rivalry games will now all be during the final two weeks of the season. No random mid season Stanford/Cal game. Although stupidly the Stanford/Cal game is played the weekend before everyone else plays their conference rival. Stanford plays ND on the final week of the season.

cdyhybrid

Of course the PNW schools get all the Friday night games. Fuck you too, Larry Scott.

08/31/13 vs. Boise State
09/14/13 at Illinois at Soldier Field
09/21/13 vs. Idaho State
09/28/13 vs. Arizona
10/05/13 at Stanford
10/12/13 vs. Oregon
10/19/13 at Arizona State
10/26/13 vs. California
11/09/13 vs. Colorado
11/15/13 at UCLA
11/23/13 at Oregon State
11/29/13 vs. Washington State

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Eric Ward is returning for his senior year, thank God. I think he has at least twice as many receptions as all the rest of our outside receivers combined.

AntoneM

The full USC schedule is out now:

Aug. 29 at Hawaii
Sept. 7 Washington State
Sept. 14 Boston College
Sept. 21 Utah State
Sept. 28 at Arizona State
Oct. 10 Arizona
Oct. 19 at Notre Dame
Oct. 26 Utah
Nov. 1 at Oregon State
Nov. 9 at California
Nov. 16 Stanford
Nov. 23 at Colorado
Nov. 30 UCLA

Also the Pac 12 Championship will be played on Saturday this year.

Well fuck you too. ASU on Saturday, Arizona on Thursday.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
ok guys, I updated the other topic, but I'll leave one last comment.

Gonna need to find the next NFL team for Saban to go to. I hear the Jags opened up, though.

So our second most productive WR Mike Davis declared for the NFL draft earlier today without telling any of our coaches about his plans. He made his decision based on his families financial needs. Once our OC got wind of the story, he had a chat with Mike and now apparently he has decided to stay at Texas for his senior year. I'm glad that money problem was magically solved for his family today without him leaving for the NFL.

Talon

So our second most productive WR Mike Davis declared for the NFL draft earlier today without telling any of our coaches about his plans. He made his decision based on his families financial needs. Once our OC got wind of the story, he had a chat with Mike and now apparently he has decided to stay. I'm glad that money problem was magically solved for his family today without him leaving for the NFL.
I'm sure Mack chipped off a chunk of that golden calf on his lawn to make ends meet.

AntoneM

So our second most productive WR Mike Davis declared for the NFL draft earlier today without telling any of our coaches about his plans. He made his decision based on his families financial needs. Once our OC got wind of the story, he had a chat with Mike and now apparently he has decided to stay at Texas for his senior year. I'm glad that money problem was magically solved for his family today without him leaving for the NFL.

Magic works because a Mack Brown magician never reveals his boosters secrets.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Which OC? Applewhite or the new one?

cashman

Banned
Wyatt's also the recievers coach. Davis has serious talent but he still has a long way to go. He could be a 1st-2nd rounder if he puts it together next year.

Limedust

Now that we're in the darkness, here are a couple of good articles I read recently:

Amy Bragg - Alabama nutritionist

But how does Bragg reconcile Saban's well-documented breakfast habit of dining on Little Debbie snack cakes?

"He is entitled to one vice," Bragg said. "He is incredibly disciplined with overall nutrition and eats balanced, heart-healthy meals. And it could be worse. At least Little Debbies has oats."

Pro Football Focus grades out the BCSNCG on per-player and team basis.

KingGondo

Banned
Gondo, what are you hearing on the OSU boards about Ra'Shaad Samples possibly switching to Kentucky?
I mean... I guess it's a possibility, and they can offer him immediate playing time.

But it's freaking Kentucky. If he's desperate enough for immediate playing time that he'll go to the worst program in the SEC (especially over a pass-heavy offense like OSU's) then there's probably not really much we can do. I think he'll stay on board though.

I'm mainly waiting to hear from Laquon Treadwell next week. We get his final visit this weekend, and guys like Dez and Thurman have been putting the full-court press on him. I think we have a good shot. Our record of producing and developing stud WRs is probably the best in the Big 12. Rashaun Woods, D'Juan Woods, Adarius Bowman, Dez Bryant, Justin Blackmon, Josh Stewart... The list goes on.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like the national "Tuberville is a douchebag" train just keeps on a-rollin'.

I mean... I guess it's a possibility, and they can offer him immediate playing time.

But it's freaking Kentucky. If he's desperate enough for immediate playing time that he'll go to the worst program in the SEC (especially over a pass-heavy offense like OSU's) then there's probably not really much we can do. I think he'll stay on board though.

I'm mainly waiting to hear from Laquon Treadwell next week. We get his final visit this weekend, and guys like Dez and Thurman have been putting the full-court press on him. I think we have a good shot. Our record of producing and developing stud WRs is probably the best in the Big 12. Rashaun Woods, D'Juan Woods, Adarius Bowman, Dez Bryant, Justin Blackmon, Josh Stewart... The list goes on.

In his defense, he was pretty close to Kentucky's new OC (being that he was being recruited hard by him while he was still at Tech) and their RB coach (who was also at Tech) was a fantastic recruiter. Kentucky's about to get a lot more pass happy, plus they've got a pretty high profile QB coming into town to visit with him as well. They're probably selling a lot of "A&M showed what a spread can do in the SEC, we're about to do that too!" to their recruits. I'm a big Neal Brown fan after what he did at Tech and am excited to see what he'll do at Kentucky without Tuberville hamstringing him with runs up the middle when we should have had our foot on the gas.

That said, of course, it would be kind of embarrassing to Tech to have had him pass on Neal Brown's offense for OSU while he was at Tech but then commit to Brown at Kentucky. :jnc

KingGondo

Banned
In his defense, he was pretty close to Kentucky's new OC (being that he was being recruited hard by him while he was still at Tech) and their RB coach (who was also at Tech) was a fantastic recruiter. Kentucky's about to get a lot more pass happy, plus they've got a pretty high profile QB coming into town to visit with him as well. They're probably selling a lot of "A&M showed what a spread can do in the SEC, we're about to do that too!" to their recruits. I'm a big Neal Brown fan after what he did at Tech and am excited to see what he'll do at Kentucky without Tuberville hamstringing him with runs up the middle when we should have had our foot on the gas.

That said, of course, it would be kind of embarrassing to Tech to have had him pass on Neal Brown's offense for OSU while he was at Tech but then commit to Brown at Kentucky. :jnc
Yes, this is true. I just don't think Kentucky can offer him nearly what OSU can. Facilities, a good shot at more conference titles, plus we've been in on him from the beginning (not to mention our record of producing NFL/all-conference WRs).

I'm starting to feel like we have a good shot at getting Treadwell too. I think it's down to us and Ole Miss, and we have the final visit coming up this weekend. It would be awesome if Blackmon or Dez just happened to be at the football facilities when he arrives. :)

Even if we don't get him, our WR class is already sick. Ateman, Ross, and Samples are all excellent, and we have Moore and Harrison coming back next season. No matter who our QB or OC is I expect us to be really hard to stop.

mre said:
Lacy and Milliner are both gone. Somebody hold me.
Don't worry, Milliner will be in Cleveland with Trent and Weeden.

Lonestar

Lacy and Milliner are both gone. Somebody hold me.

Pretty sure we all knew it was coming months ago. Never like to see someone as talented as Lacy go, but we'll be totally ok. Milliner's harder to replace.

Now, there are no "sure things" at CB. I'd guess the 3 main CB's left would be Belue (who gets a bad wrap, but isn't up to Milliner/Dre/Arenas/Menzie level), Fulton (who's been around for a long time, but was buried on the depth chart) and Geno Smith (a true Sophomore next year). Then I guess there's some redshirted guys, and I think we've got 2 4 star's in this years class.

Safety is in better shape, as Ha Ha for certain, and hopefully Landon Collins jumps Sunseri (though Sunseri at least provides experienced depth, though perhaps he should move up to SAM LB, to limit his pass coverage responsibilities).

Looks like some ACC conf. scheds are coming out, we're losing our return game @FSU.

I'm kind of upset about this. I was really looking forward to VT's visit to Doak. Last time ya'll were here I was still in school, I think. But on the plus side, that's one less road block for us on the way to the ACCCG. Just need to get past Clemson again. That'll be real though this year. We haven't won in death valley in like a decade and Boyd is back. I expect a loss, so I will freak out if we upset them.

Here's the full list of who is playing who and where. No dates yet, of course:

TuK3l.jpg

Aw man the Ashodin thread closed with no update...

For the topic at hand, Jake Spavital, our QB coach, is off for the same position at aTm. rough offseason for us so far.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Pretty sure we all knew it was coming months ago. Never like to see someone as talented as Lacy go, but we'll be totally ok.
Oh, I know. I just wanted to see what Lacy could do as "The Man" for one full season without that damned turf toe or ankle injury dragging him down. He runs like he's pissed off, and I think he's my favorite back that we've had over the past few years.

KingGondo

Banned
Aw man the Ashodin thread closed with no update...

For the topic at hand, Jake Spavital, our QB coach, is off for the same position at aTm. rough offseason for us so far.
I'll honestly be impressed if Holgorsen is able to stick around for the long term there.

It's a huge uphill climb for them on defense, and on top of that they lost some fantastic talent on offense...

Lonestar

Oh, I know. I just wanted to see what Lacy could do as "The Man" for one full season without that damned turf toe or ankle injury dragging him down. He runs like he's pissed off, and I think he's my favorite back that we've had over the past few years.

yeah, to me, he always seemed "faster" than Trent or Mark. His moves when he was healthy matched Mark's moves, and he had Trent like size and strength (though not quite as elite), he had the acceleration. Trent might have the faster top speed, but he never had that quick burst. Eddie had all of that (though the worst receiving hands and probably the worst at pass blocking)

I'll honestly be impressed if Holgorsen is able to stick around for the long term there.

It's a huge uphill climb for them on defense, and on top of that they lost some fantastic talent on offense...

He's signed through 2018 I believe and I don't really see him getting any offers that can outdo Big12 money in the near future, certainly not until he proves himself as a HC.

Not too worried about offense, QB's seem to do pretty well even in their first year in the system, and we had a 4 star prospect(Ford Childress) redshirting this year who I think gets the nod next year. Although we won't be able to replace Tavon and Stedman, we always seem to have another short speedy guy to replace the last one(Darius Reynaud/Jock Sanders/Noel Devine/Tavon Austin).

Defense can only get better...right?

At least the Tennessee fans stuck around this season to provide some entertaining self-deprecation.

You can always count on the Vols for unrealistic expectations and unfounded optimism followed a few weeks later by sorrowful meltdowns and dejection. I'm going to miss Dooley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom