• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did this never get posted this year

FSUFan_original_original.gif

this is why I love college football. Look at the joy on that man's face. I bet he doesn't get this elated for anything else, ever.

KingGondo

Banned
I wonder if the Jags are going to try and hire Urbz
That would be silly. Ohio State is a way, way better job than Jacksonville.

Now that the pay is getting so high in college, I think we'll start to see fewer coaches leave for the NFL, especially from the primo jobs like Bama, Notre Dame, Oregon and the like.

this is why I love college football. Look at the joy on that man's face. I bet he doesn't get this elated for anything else, ever.

Well, look at him. Would you?

That would be silly. Ohio State is a way, way better job than Jacksonville.

Now that the pay is getting so high in college, I think we'll start to see fewer coaches leave for the NFL, especially from the primo jobs like Bama, Notre Dame, Oregon and the like.

Are you telling me that Brian Kelly only interviewed with the Eagles to get Father J.J. to give him a raise?

TheNatural

My Member!
But you still lost multiple times. The only way a fan has room to bitch is if you go undefeated and get left out. That hasn't occurred with UL at all.

Until you consistently get past he likes of Marshall, FIU and UConn, then I'll hear your complaints about a "weak" conference and schedule. But next year should be fun for me at least. I'll likely make it up for the UL game.

And yes, it was nice to see the beat down of Florida by UL in person.

Get left out of what? I'm talking about scheduling and the problems we've had with it out of conference, and the reasons why.

For some reason you've decided to be a dick and talk shit, so I'll do so in kind. We lost to shit teams because we weren't THAT good last season. It was the second year after the Kragthorpe era, we were ridiculous young because Kragthorpe could only recruit JUCOs his last year because no one wanted to play here, and we were picked last in the fucking conference. We improved, beat West Virginia in Morgantown, and tied for the conference championship.

This year? We were still fucking young. We only had 3 seniors that played. Teddy Bridgewater broke his fucking wrist in the UCONN game and our backup played a good amount, so of course we could only manage like 10 points in regulation and yes, lost in Triple OT after he finally gave out and threw an INT. We just followed that up with wins at Rutgers to win the Big East title and in the Sugar Bowl. Like I said all year, I didn't care if we went 12-0 or 10-2, I'll take 10-2 if it got us to the BCS bowl - and it did, and we won.

What's your deal?

andycapps

It's a good feeling to not have to worry about players changing their minds on signing day. At least the ones that you really want. Off my list, Bateman, Henry, and Howard being the ones I'm the most relieved.

But UGA is being hypocritical by going after 35. So much for the 25 rule you guys wanted :lol

Haha I guess it could appear that way, and may be that way. But this was the plan last year when they only signed about 17 guys because the prospects were just not that good for them last year. They knew they had a bunch of juniors that were committed early that they could have enroll early. So these early enrollees are counting towards last year's numbers.

Plus, you gotta believe that if Saban can find a way to game the rules, he does. What about all those "administrative" people that he has working with the team to get around the coaching limit? :p

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Haha I guess it could appear that way, and may be that way. But this was the plan last year when they only signed about 17 guys because the prospects were just not that good for them last year. They knew they had a bunch of juniors that were committed early that they could have enroll early. So these early enrollees are counting towards last year's numbers.

Plus, you gotta believe that if Saban can find a way to game the rules, he does. What about all those "administrative" people that he has working with the team to get around the coaching limit? :p

Alabama's never been in the "oh, we don't do that sort of thing here" like Georgia and Florida. We always try find advantages.

andycapps

Alabama's never been in the "oh, we don't do that sort of thing here" like Georgia and Florida. We always try find advantages.

I don't really think it's a big deal, over the 2 year period we'll end up with the same amount of players. We had less than 70 scholarship players this year because of the decision last year to keep recruiting numbers down. Let's see Bama win a MNC with that. :p

Lonestar

It's like, the 85 number is right there, clear as crystal! You don't see NFL teams going "well, there's that 53 number, but lets try going with just 40 this year"

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
It's like, the 85 number is right there, clear as crystal! You don't see NFL teams going "well, there's that 53 number, but lets try going with just 40 this year"

If I had to guess, I would imagine that NFL teams are required by the CBA to be at the maximum number of players.

mre

Back of Bama's helmets from the game that is totally recognized as a championship game by the NCAA:

BAQhr0BCIAAlEfk.jpg

ND apparently does this against every team that they play as some sort of mental intimidation tactic. I never watched Rudy so I was't previously aware.

Yeah, was gonna say it's a pretty memorable part of Rudy, so seeing them do it in the MNC game was neat to me.

andycapps

It was a conscious decision, no doubt. I think they thought they'd have enough depth to make it work, and they could make it to this season and get the players they really wanted. And it did, for most of the season. That depth really caught up with us in the 3rd and 4th quarters of the SECCG. Most of those guys on the defensive line played every snap.

Lonestar

Back of Bama's helmets from the game that is totally recognized as a championship game by the NCAA:

BAQhr0BCIAAlEfk.jpg

I thought I saw a 26 on their helmets. I was trying to think, had we lost any recent players, or even some older player, who wore #26 at the time. Or perhaps someone in the conference had. Didn't realize the Connecticut connection.

Also, in that staredown video, when Hubbard (#42) came running by, first thought was, damn he's tall.

PFF.com looked at and graded the BCSNCG performances

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/10/refo-crimson-tide-vs-fighting-irish-bcs-championship/
AJ McCarron went 20 for 28, with 4 dropped passes and 2 intentional throw away incompletions. Leaving the 2 deep passes to Cooper being the only 2 "missed" throws (and they were both inches from being made). Lacy had 13 missed tackles forced and 101 (of 140) yards gained after contact.

The ND Defense ended with 19 missed tackles. Zeke Motta had the most, with 6.

hiryu2015

College Football Offseason Thread of FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

I had no idea I had to name the thread with the confidence pick em title. I am teaching a class this quarter
at a certain BCS bowl game winning Bay Area school
so I have had no time all week.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Bwah? It's not like the university made any sort of mention about it. They just did it. So I really don't get your comment.

It isn't like I am incensed about it or anything, I just find stuff like that shallow and meaningless and a cheap way of paying tribute or respect to a tragedy like that, especially when it isn't a local event. Vtech having stickers for the Vtech massacre would be less weird to me. Or if it had just happened.

Again, not a big deal, just feels cheap.

mre

It isn't like I am incensed about it or anything, I just find stuff like that shallow and meaningless and a cheap way of paying tribute or respect to a tragedy like that, especially when it isn't a local event. Vtech having stickers for the Vtech massacre would be less weird to me. Or if it had just happened.

Again, not a big deal, just feels cheap.

I would agree with your sentiment if the University had trumpeted it about that they were doing this in honor of Sandy Hook. Instead, they quietly and simply put the sticker on the back of their helmet and went about their business. Was it an inexpensive way to pay tribute? Yes. But I completely disagree that the gesture it was shallow, meaningless, or cheap, and I think its a bit presumptuous for someone who didn't experience the events to downplay any worth that the gesture may have.

LosDaddie

Banned
EJ's highs were as high as basically any QB. I still think his main problems were scheme and not his fault.

Why the hell was his run threat not utilized more this season?

JImbo's stubborness & play-calling are partly to blame, yes, but according to the experts (read: Tomahawknation) EJ simply never got the playbook down like a 5th yr Sr should have. His pre-snap reads (zone-read especially) were atrocious, and apparently, EJ didn't want to scramble out of the pocket for fear he'd be labeled the stereotypical black QB. This led to Jimbo not trusting EJ to make the correct decisions in-game.

In the end, Jimbo and EJ didn't like each other much, if at all. EJ is the type of athlete that needs to/expects to be coddled, and if you know anything about Jibmo's coaching style, that's the exact opposite of how he coaches. CP7 simply shrugged off the criticism, while EJ internalized it.

FSU fans will be debating EJ's career for years :lol

:lol
In a way, I kinda felt bad for ND like I did for NIU. Both teams thought they had a legit shot at the upset, but in reality, the talent gap was too big.

One of the top LB recruit Alex Anzalone who de-committed from OSU in april and went with ND has no de-committed from them and to Florida.

kid sounds like hes more trouble than hes worth.

Also great new Jordan Hall our starting RB got his medical redshirt.

bachikarn

One of the top LB recruit Alex Anzalone who de-committed from OSU in april and went with ND has no de-committed from them and to Florida.

kid sounds like hes more trouble than hes worth.

I'm not even that high on him, but I think his reasons for de-commiting from ND are legit. He is scared that Kelly might go to a pro team and since he is an EE, he can't wait to see if it actually happens or not. So he decided to go to his second choice.

mre

Whoa what's up with this thread title? I almost didn't find the off-season thread because I thought thought this was about some sort of anti-environmentalism movement.

Also, I looked in community.

Lonestar

yeah, I'm splitting off into another topic. NWO CFB. Onward to remedial comedy hijinks. Down with the laissez-faire CFB topic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom