• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff + New Year's Six |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
The playoff committee looks pretty foolish for putting in an 11 win non-champion in the playoff. 4 team playoff is garbage and every other sport and level of this one knows it.

FyreWulff

The playoff committee looks pretty foolish for putting in an 11 win non-champion in the playoff. 4 team playoff is garbage and every other sport and level of this one knows it.

On the other hand, Ohio State was also the team that came in at 4th spot when people doubted them and won it all.

With a 4 team playoff, there's only so many permutations you can have of underdog winning it all or number one team making it all the way

On the other hand, Ohio State was also the team that came in at 4th spot when people doubted them and won it all.

With a 4 team playoff, there's only so many permutations you can have of underdog winning it all or number one team making it all the way

Blind squirrel finds a nut... Between injuries and suspensions Oregon had no chance in the championship that year.

More fans for 8 teams?

But think of the players! Think of the other bowls that never mattered but matter less now! Devaluing the regular season! Regular season is the playoff! Except when we need to keep an undefeated team out, then the regular season doesn't matter

The 4 seed being able to win it all isn't what I'm questioning. Ohio State being worthy of the 4 seed as an 11 win non-conference champion is.

bachikarn

To me, it is not even a debate. OSU clearly deserved a shot to be in the playoff when the teams were chosen. They had one of the best resumes, and had 11 wins. Did anyone have a better OOC win then winning at Norman?

I mean, yeah it is kind of shitty that they got in without winning their championship, but this is exactly a year when an exception should be made. Otherwise just make it an outright requirement to make the playoff.

To me, it is not even a debate. OSU clearly deserved a shot to be in the playoff when the teams were chosen. They had one of the best resumes, and had 11 wins. Did anyone have a better OOC win then winning at Norman?

I mean, yeah it is kind of shitty that they got in without winning their championship, but this is exactly a year when an exception should be made. Otherwise just make it an outright requirement to make the playoff.

Making the argument for an 8 team playoff. Until that contract ends it will be whoever brings in the highest ratings (like fanbases that travel well for selecting teams). It is what it is.

tebunker

Banned

This garbage reasoning shouldn't dictate shitty decisions in the future. TCU should have been in then, and may have won too. Who the fart knows..

Either way, a lot of discussion will be had now. Well, probably not.

Yeah you could never win a championship when injuries inflict your team late in the season.

Wait.

What? Seriously, do we need to go back to the 2014 CFP game, and the fact that what? 3 starters leave and Reggie Ragland the most important went down right before that big 80 + yard run on a freshman LB? Injuries happen to everyone. Alabama and Clemson all got hurt too. I'd love to see Eddie Jackson in that backfield destroying people... or maybe I am misreading, and apologize....

Velcro Fly

8 team playoff is just going to make blowouts worse

4 teams is fine

I'd take a million 31-0 games if it means they keep it at 4

This is where im at if were going to expand at all. top 2 teams should get an advantage.
A 6 team playoff would more than likely be comprised of the power five conference winners plus the top ranked group of five team. Meaning Ohio State wouldn't have even made a six team playoff. That's why we need 8 teams to have those two at large teams added

Velcro Fly

When was the last time Ohio St. got shut out

When was the last time Urban Meyer got shut out

God dang I am so sad I missed most of this game.

Kusagari

A 6 team playoff would more than likely be comprised of the power five conference winners plus the top ranked group of five team. Meaning Ohio State wouldn't have even made a six team playoff. That's why we need 8 teams to have those two at large teams added

Nah, there's no way it would ever guarantee a group of five team.

It would guarantee a team from the P5 conferences and one at-large, which would have been OSU this year.

Velcro Fly

the best you'd get for a non power 5 team is a guarantee that if one of their conference champions is unbeaten and ranked ahead of a power 5 champion that they'd be in over them.

they are never going to guarantee them outright though.

Nah, there's no way it would ever guarantee a group of five team.

It would guarantee a team from the P5 conferences and one at-large, which would have been OSU this year.

Which would have still left out undefeated WMU.

"But if WMU wants in the playoffs they need to play better teams"

They scheduled, and defeated 2 P5 teams non conference (Not even Alabama did that), and can't help they're a small school in a G5 conference. What else do you want them to do?

If an undefeated team from a G5 conference that has also defeated a couple of big boys in non conference along the way STILL can't get in the playoffs, it needs to expand until a team like that gets in.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
What part of the game tonight made you think tOSU belonged? This argument would hold a whole lot more weight had tOSU blown Clemson out instead of the reverse.

Alcibiades

It comes down to OSU didn't even win their own division. Win your division, win your conference, and then take it from there (no guarantee of course).

OSU, regardless of what happened tonight, didn't belong. Yeah it sucks they lost to Penn State, but thats why you have a regular season, to sort out division championships. Once Penn State had that, they still had a championship game to contend with. OSU didn't get past the first marker, so why were they even in the conversation other than politics?

Kusagari

Which would have still left out undefeated WMU.

"But if WMU wants in the playoffs they need to play better teams"

They scheduled, and defeated 2 P5 teams non conference (Not even Alabama did that), and can't help they're a small school in a G5 conference. What else do you want them to do?

If an undefeated team from a G5 conference that has also defeated a couple of big boys in non conference along the way STILL can't get in the playoffs, it needs to expand until a team like that gets in.

It might not be fair but it is what it is. Who is WMU's best win? Northwestern? That just doesn't cut it.

If Houston had went undefeated they would have been in the playoffs, so it's not like it's impossible for a G5 team.

It might not be fair but it is what it is. Who is WMU's best win? Northwestern? That just doesn't cut it.

If Houston had went undefeated they would have been in the playoffs, so it's not like it's impossible for a G5 team.
And the other 124 teams in fbs should think that "it is what it is" is a complete bullshit perspective unless the system in place heavily favors your school, which would be about 10 of the 128 teams. This isn't directed at you, but that mindset in general.

Let's fucking go Clemson!! Get outta here Ohio State! I have no idea how we crushed them so hard but I am so happy for it. Maybe now people will realize we have an incredible program even though we are inconsistent sometimes.

Love my tigers

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Did a recruiting dead period I was unaware of end at midnight? I noticed Baylor just landed 2 new recruits that committed on 1/1/2017 and its 2:18am
Recruits can always contact the schools. The restrictions are on the schools' ends.

Talon

It comes down to OSU didn't even win their own division. Win your division, win your conference, and then take it from there (no guarantee of course).

OSU, regardless of what happened tonight, didn't belong. Yeah it sucks they lost to Penn State, but thats why you have a regular season, to sort out division championships. Once Penn State had that, they still had a championship game to contend with. OSU didn't get past the first marker, so why were they even in the conversation other than politics?
Penn State still defends an enabler of child rape as a paragon of moral virtue. They deserve a plate of shit for the next four decades.

Alcibiades

Penn State still defends an enabler of child rape as a paragon of moral virtue. They deserve a plate of shit for the next four decades.

Then the NCAA should remove them from contention. That still doesn't justify letting a team that didn't win their own division into the top 4.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't feeling well last night and fell asleep at halftime. God damn Clemson. No idea how they aren't the favorite over Bama after yesterday.

Then the NCAA should remove them from contention. That still doesn't justify letting a team that didn't win their own division into the top 4.

Agreed on both counts.

Man what a fun night.

Wasn't feeling well last night and fell asleep at halftime. God damn Clemson. No idea how they aren't the favorite over Bama after yesterday.

Probably something to do with Alabama crushing Washington (an actual conference champion) in the same manner that Clemson shit on OSU, while demonstrating the same overwhelming power they've had on display in every game this season. Pretty sure a team that's undefeated should be the favorite in every game until they lose.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed on both counts.

Man what a fun night.

Probably something to do with Alabama crushing Washington (an actual conference champion) in the same manner that Clemson shit on OSU, while demonstrating the same overwhelming power they've had on display in every game this season. Pretty sure a team that's undefeated should be the favorite in every game until they lose.

Clemson must have fallen apart in the second half if they looked like Bama then.

If Bama doesn't come out looking better they are going to get shut out just like OSU. Clemson might only score 17, but that's plenty against 0.

Clemson must have fallen apart in the second half if they looked like Bama then.

If Bama doesn't come out looking better they are going to get shut out just like OSU. Clemson might only score 17, but that's plenty against 0.

How the hell is Clemson gonna hold the Bama defense to 0 points?

Sulik2

The long gap between games seemed to really help Clemson. They played their most complete game of the season. Bama better be ready if Clemson plays like they did last night. That's gonna be a great game.

Draxal

Beck was a big part in getting Pelini fired

Look at the job Pelini is doing at youngstown without Beck and Papuchis.

I was telling Floyd that while Pelini's attitude was not great, him not firing assistants is a big reason he got fired.

It's gonna be great when Texas hires him as the new OC

You probably get him as a position coach now, his rep is really bad now and he wasn't on staff when Herman was at (t)OSU.

Weirdly relieved this morning.

I wasn't rooting for us to lose, obviously, but it was becoming abundantly clear to me that Meyer wasn't going to fix a fucking thing in our offensive personnel unless something absolutely devastating happened.

Our O would just continue to plod along in one- or two-loss seasons, underperforming and squandering an unbelievable amount of raw talent thanks to horrendous playcalling and shit player development. (Looking at you, Zach Smith, who only has his job because he's Earle Bruce's grandkid.)

So yeah, in all honestly we probably needed a good shit-kicking like this. Unfortunately I'm not convinced that Meyer will make changes that are as drastic as necessary.

Whatever. See you in 2018.

I wasn't rooting for us to lose, obviously, but it was becoming abundantly clear to me that Meyer wasn't going to fix a fucking thing in our offensive personnel unless something absolutely devastating happened.

Our O would just continue to plod along in one- or two-loss seasons, underperforming and squandering an unbelievable amount of raw talent thanks to horrendous playcalling and shit player development. (Looking at you, Zach Smith, who only has his job because he's Earle Bruce's grandkid.)

So yeah, in all honestly we probably needed a good shit-kicking like this. Unfortunately I'm not convinced that Meyer will make changes that are as drastic as necessary.

Welcome back friend

andycapps

Come back, Bert. Be a guest on the podcast.

And yeah, I agree with all that you said.

tebunker

Banned
True, maybe Watson can throw some TDs to the Bama defense.

I have no faith at all in the offense though, Bama's offense is not that different from OSU, but with more negative plays and penalties.

Honestly that Clemson D isn't nearly as great as they looked last night. OSU just had poor playcalling with an exposed oline and QB. Shit. Shit shit.

In all honesty, Bama has a better Oline, Hurts is still really young, but we do have Kiffin calling the plays.

If we could beat a better Clemson team last year with CokerLongball at QB and a not quite as good defense, I think we can hang with Clemson. It will be interesting to see which Clemson team shows up. If they are coming in looking for revenge, they may over shoot their mark and make mistakes. If they come in with purpose to just play great football, this is gonna be a 24-27 type game, maybe even 20-17.

BSherrod

Our defense is pissed at their performance last year, only saw Rece Davis mention that at all. Watson is the best player in college, but he's thrown a lot of picks and this might be the best defense to ever play the sport at this level. Don't turn that ball over on us because it's leads almost always to points. I think our offense rebounds and defense stays strong for another good game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom