• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff + New Year's Six |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
The 5 star teams are Michigan and Ohio State, but who are the 4 star teams?

PSU and Nebraska are the only 2 I can think of.
I guess Maryland and MSU are fringe there, but Iowa is in the shitastic West, all of the Big Ten's most talented teams are East teams, really Nebraska should dominate the West with how much more talented they are than the rest.

Sparty... close, but they tend to pick up OSU and Michigan's leftovers.

Wisconsin... no they don't recruit 4 stars

MSU, Maryland, PSU, Nebraska. Though PSU is the best recruiter of those 4. Wiscy has and does get 4 star kids.

That is true. But he should be paid accordingly for being at a mid-tier at best program. It's a $3m a year (at max) type job and he's been getting $5m for years. Long before most all the big name guys were getting that or near to it.

He's a good coach on a mediocre team that often does well with it's talent. Sometimes they overachieve, but they typically don't underachieve.

Say he leaves, who is coming to Iowa that's better?

jfkgoblue

MSU, Maryland, PSU, Nebraska. Though PSU is the best recruiter of those 4. Wiscy has and does get 4 star kids.

He's a good coach on a mediocre team that often does well with it's talent. Sometimes they overachieve, but they typically don't underachieve.

Maryland is gonna be tough in a few years if they can keep up their recruiting efforts. The big ten needs to rethink its divisions with the West being significantly worse than the East.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

He isn't saying fire Ferentz. He's saying they fucked up by inflating his contract needlessly.

Maryland is gonna be tough in a few years if they can keep up their recruiting efforts. The big ten needs to rethink its divisions with the West being significantly worse than the East.
They won't touch it until we see the BIG XII blows up and add whoever they can into the West I think

Meier

That isn't really in question. The main issue is they're paying him a king's ransom when they could hire any number of other coaches and for a lot less and probably get similarly mediocre results. Ferentz' salary has been absurd for a very, very long time. He signed a 10 year $40m guaranteed (base) deal in 2010 and at that point in time that was a HUGE number.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That isn't really in question. The main issue is they're paying him a king's ransom when they could hire any number of other coaches and for a lot less and probably get similarly mediocre results. Ferentz' salary has been absurd for a very, very long time.

Iowa football is worth a ton of money with what they are doing now so there is something to be said for mediocre stability.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
He isn't saying fire Ferentz. He's saying they fucked up by inflating his contract needlessly.

He's done a lot for the school, it's not a completely outrageous amount of money all things considered.

Is 4.5m too much? Probably, but he isn't leaving and you are getting someone else as good to come in there.

Loved that intro montage for the Rose Bowl, good stuff.

edit

Yall seeing this rose bowl video package?

Shit is a "let the healing process begin with these teams" video

I can't do this

MtZ9N.gif

Too soon to change B1G divisions. The only thing the West lacks that the East has is a OSU-level program, which they'll continue lacking unless Delaney somehow lands another big fish program.

Wisconsin will continue to overachieve despite comparative recruiting and coaching salary disadvantages. Nebraska has enough advantages to keep them consistently in the mix and Northwestern and Iowa will keep popping back into the conversation as long as Kirk and Fitz are around.

jfkgoblue

Too soon to change B1G divisions. The only thing the West lacks that the East has is a OSU-level program, which they'll continue lacking unless Delaney somehow lands another big fish program.

Wisconsin will continue to overachieve despite comparative recruiting and coaching salary disadvantages. Nebraska has enough advantages to keep them consistently in the mix and Northwestern and Iowa will keep popping back into the conversation as long as Kirk and Fitz are around.
The east has 3 blue blood programs. 2 of them recruit with the best teams in the nation. The West has a blue blood in Nebraska, but their recruiting doesn't touch Michigan or Ohio State, and is worse than PSU, but is comparable to the 4th and 5th best East recruiters in MSU and Maryland. That's a huge fucking discrepancy.

Just look at this years team rankings
http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

The top 5 recruiters in the Big Ten are ALL East teams.

Don't post blatant lies.
I guess I should say that they don't recruit 4 stars at a consistent level.

cdyhybrid

Rose Bowl pregame is eternal. The game will never start.

https://vine.co/v/5959t5lnFUH

DL had a pretty good game against Bama. Gaines and Vea both beat double teams on that play in the Vine link. Really happy with our defense this year, we need to lock up Coach K for a long time. Pay him more than what Leavitt got.

The east has 3 blue blood programs. 2 of them recruit with the best teams in the nation. The West has a blue blood in Nebraska, but their recruiting doesn't touch Michigan or Ohio State, and is worse than PSU, but is comparable to the 4th and 5th best East recruiters in MSU and Maryland. That's a huge fucking discrepancy.

I guess I should say that they don't recruit 4 stars at a consistent level.
That's more accurate. But you could say a lot of the three star and WI kids we recruit are underrated considering how many kids we've sent to the NFL over the past few years.

Lkr

LOL another pick

I have to say that Florida's mauling of Iowa makes their win over Michigan that much funnier. Remember there are people arguing that Michigan belonged in the playoffs :jnc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom