• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff + New Year's Six |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Sabot

Sugar Bowl is an autobid- goes to the highest ranked SEC team that doesn't make the playoff.

Of course the SEC was hot garbage this year with the exception of Bama, so we got a late era Big East situation.

He's on the SEC Network primarily so yes.

I just wish OU wasn't selected, maybe get to play a more interesting game instead.

This was a snore, even if the offense did some fun stuff.

squicken

But I thought Strong was a homerun hire so my optimism is extremely cautious

Good point ha ha. I also thought Charlie was going to take over that conference, and it never happened. But Herman got a five star recruit to come to the University of Houston. That is something Stoops has not been able to do for a long time at Oklahoma. I just expect Herman to really bring and players to Austin

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
OU has won 9 in a row. OU has scored more against Auburn than any other team this year. What a shitty team OU is.

I think OU is going to be a contender next year.

Before I do much research on what they both return I'd probably pick Oklahoma State over them to win the conference. The Gondos return a hell of a lot and OU is likely about to lose every RB and WR they have with noticeable stats.

Perine (1,060 rushing) and Mixon (1,274 rushing) are likely both gone to the draft. Their next highest rusher had 283 yards.

After graduating senior WR Westbrook's 1,524 receiving yards, their #2 receiver is a running back (Mixon) with 538 receiving yards and he's a lock to leave for the draft.

They recruit well, of course, but they'll be really light on experience at the offensive skill positions.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Truthfully, Auburn should have played Western Michigan, and OU/Wincy.

But congrats OU, you gave up more points to Auburn and about double the yards. So, there you go!

ryseing

I just wish OU wasn't selected, maybe get to play a more interesting game instead.

This was a snore, even if the offense did some fun stuff.

It's an autobid for the B12 as well. Forgot to mention that.

The remains of the old bowl system are unfortunately impacting postseason play. I don't think there is any feasible way for a playoff and a bowl system to exist simultaneously in a manner that benefits everyone.

K.Sabot

It's an autobid for the B12 as well. Forgot to mention that.

The remains of the old bowl system are unfortunately impacting postseason play. I don't think there is any feasible way for a playoff and a bowl system to exist simultaneously in a manner that benefits everyone.

So it was fated that this game would be bums.

Heck I think I enjoyed OSU vs Colorado more at least because it was a dream crusher / reality check.

edit: i enjoyed iowa getting murdered more than this.

Lkr

wait what happened with musberger in regards to mocking the SEC? who mocked the SEC? auburn's performance?

wait what happened with musberger in regards to mocking the SEC? who mocked the SEC? auburn's performance?

OU fans did a mock SEC chant after they went up big on Auburn. Musberger noticed it and said something like "Wait a sec Jesse, they can't be mocking OUR conference, can they?".

I think it was meant to be tongue in cheek on his part.

I guess some people thought Musbergers love fest for Mixon went too far

15826225_10101275723004698_2631212151193092827_n.jpg

Oklahoma can hang up a banner for this win right next to their 2014 sugar bowl over Bama banner. Don't let them fool you. They are straight garbage and will choke any game that actually matters. Their most famous game is when they lost because of two trick plays. The last championship they had was a joke because Miami should have been in that game instead of Florida state. /rant

Sounds like Tim Beck is going to Texas....I am pretty upset about it.....Go make Texas great again Tim!
I really believe the main reason Tom is taking him is to try and fuck with our Texas recruiting. It sucks, but as good as he is at recruiting.. he is lacking at the on field part obviously. Whoever Urban brings in will hopefully have ins with Texas coaches

I'm sure Ed will go with him for Oline which sucks as he is a fine Oline coach (hopefully Stud develops them well. I'll give him a pass this year since it was his first year and with Davis, Myers and soon to be Jackson Carmen the following year)

Zack gets one more shot (Zack pro tip.. Start Victor.. it was criminal how underused he was) with Grimes and Lindsay and presumably Jaylen Harris coming in and if he can't get them clicking and getting open then that is a problem.

Chip Kelly? Not sure I like that pick.
I would LOVE it

It is the perfect landing place for and he'd be perfect for us

Tate Martell: “Nothing has changed with Ohio State with today’s news, I was aware of it. I can’t wait to enroll on Monday.”

Wonder how long this has been known

lololol someone actually hired tim beck?
It's chess for Tom.. I know it..

Chip no you're better than that.
Chip is taking a page out of Lane's playbook if he does this.

It's perfect for him and if he wants to fix his image.. this is it. As much as people remember him for his NFL stint, he did good work at Oregon (feels like a lifetime ago to me) and he will be successful at Ohio State with the QBs on our roster.

Tate Martell: “Nothing has changed with Ohio State with today’s news, I was aware of it. I can’t wait to enroll on Monday.”

Wonder how long this has been known
Probably since Tom was hired and arrived in Austin..

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's chess for Tom.. I know it..

Chip is taking a page out of Lane's playbook if he does this.

It's perfect for him and if he wants to fix his image.. this is it. As much as people remember him for his NFL stint, he did good work at Oregon (feels like a lifetime ago to me) and he will be successful at Ohio State with the QBs on our roster.

His college image is just fine. Nobody cares if a college coach fails in the NFL.

He would easily get a high profile head coaching job immediately if there were any open.

Breaking: According to sources San Francisco 49ers QB coach and former BC OC Ryan Day will be named Ohio State offensive coordinator

apparently Chip Kelly was his mentor

Breaking: According to sources San Francisco 49ers QB coach and former BC OC Ryan Day will be named Ohio State offensive coordinator

Huh-I just read on 11W he was coming in to be QB coach, and Kevin Wilson was being tapped for OC. Former made sense, the latter...not so much.

andycapps

apparently Chip Kelly was his mentor
Hmm that's interesting. No recruiting experience in the area and not exactly a mind blowing resume. I thought they were going to go with a big name hire, tbh.

His college image is just fine. Nobody cares if a college coach fails in the NFL.

He would easily get a high profile head coaching job immediately if there were any open.

Not getting the Ohio St. OC job aside, this is absolutely truth. Kelly could easily follow what Saban did in failing in the NFL and coming back and being a contender in college within a few years. He doesn't need a stepping stone like Lane did.

That's the issue.. if there were.. this wouldn't be a discussion.. you are right.. but there aren't going to be any most likely (or at least one he'll take because he won't settle for a group of five job which I can kinda get)

He takes a job for a year.. two at most.. buddy up with some high school coaches and take those relationships to his next HC spot.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Mahomes scheduled a press conference for 10am CST this morning, presumably to announce his NFL plans.

I'm guessing he leaves, but if it was really nailed down he wouldn't have waited this long. Rumor is that he wants to stay but his dad wants him to go.

::edit::
As expected, he's gone.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Let's hope so as I would prefer someone with some experience running an offense well come in. I can't believe a coach like Urban at a school like OSU couldn't get a top tier guy.

I doubt it either, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want it to happen. I'd laugh for hours if Urban is the one that drives away good OC's, and not Saban.

BREAKING: Sources tell CQ that Kevin Wilson is set to be Ohio State’s next offensive coordinator. @RealBrianFox:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand its done

BREAKING: Sources tell CQ that Kevin Wilson is set to be Ohio State’s next offensive coordinator. @RealBrianFox:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand its done
I'm good with this (for the most part, as long as there isn't any of that bullshit that went on at Indiana. Hopefully Urban did his due diligence with this, I'm assuming so)

If Ed stays, Stud becomes TE Coach and Ed goes back to being OL coach.

All is right in the world again

Not getting the Ohio St. OC job aside, this is absolutely truth. Kelly could easily follow what Saban did in failing in the NFL and coming back and being a contender in college within a few years. He doesn't need a stepping stone like Lane did.

Except Chip hates recruiting and wants to be an NFL guy.

Except Chip hates recruiting and wants to be an NFL guy.

I think it's shown that he isn't cut out for HC in the NFL. I've been thinking that if McDaniels leaves the Pats it wouldn't be a terrible idea for Belichick to bring Kelly in, considering they would work together before Chip went to the Eagles.

Sounds like Tim Beck is going to Texas....I am pretty upset about it.....Go make Texas great again Tim!

Well here's some beat writers post of optimism for Texas

"The sources said Beck, 50, will run Herman's offense at Texas - just as Applewhite ran Herman's offense at UH (serving as the lone offensive coordinator, calling plays, running the offense in practice, etc.), and that once Herman lays out the offensive philosophy and principles - Beck will be in full charge of the offense while serving as QB coach. Of course, Herman would be involved in adjustments to game plans and on game days, sources said.
The sources said during Beck's two years at Ohio State, when he was brought in by Urban Meyer as Herman's successor, Beck was never put in charge of the offense by Meyer the way Herman was from 2012-14.
The sources said Meyer changed play-calling duties between Beck and co-offensive coordinator Ed Warinner more than once during the 2015 season before settling on Warinner in 2016."The bottom line, the sources said, is before the muddled situation at Ohio State, Beck was a rising star in four seasons running the offense at Nebraska under Bo Pelini, when the Cornhuskers' offense went from 29.2 ppg in 2011 to 37.8 ppg in 2014. During that span, Beck was a two-time nominee for the Frank Broyles Award as college football's top assistant coach (2012 and 2013).

It goes on from there but basically the writer is trying to say his lackluster results at tOSU wasn't his fault and he was positioned to fail yadda yadda

cashman

Banned
Not really excited about Tim Beck, but as long as we have Herman working with the QBs, then I suppose Becks recruiting boost will be worth it.

"The sources said Beck, 50, will run Herman's offense at Texas - just as Applewhite ran Herman's offense at UH (serving as the lone offensive coordinator, calling plays, running the offense in practice, etc.), and that once Herman lays out the offensive philosophy and principles - Beck will be in full charge of the offense while serving as QB coach. Of course, Herman would be involved in adjustments to game plans and on game days, sources said.
The sources said during Beck's two years at Ohio State, when he was brought in by Urban Meyer as Herman's successor, Beck was never put in charge of the offense by Meyer the way Herman was from 2012-14.
The sources said Meyer changed play-calling duties between Beck and co-offensive coordinator Ed Warinner more than once during the 2015 season before settling on Warinner in 2016."The bottom line, the sources said, is before the muddled situation at Ohio State, Beck was a rising star in four seasons running the offense at Nebraska under Bo Pelini, when the Cornhuskers' offense went from 29.2 ppg in 2011 to 37.8 ppg in 2014. During that span, Beck was a two-time nominee for the Frank Broyles Award as college football's top assistant coach (2012 and 2013).

It goes on from there but basically the writer is trying to say his lackluster results at tOSU wasn't his fault and he was positioned to fail yadda yadda

Except in the 2015 season Beck was calling the plays until the michigan game, and then somehow the offense got better. /shrugs

The problem with the offensive play calling was Ed not Beck as many people think but the regression of J.T. I blame almost fully on Beck. The injury and the O-line aren't helping I'm sure but holy shit did he just regress and regress and regress with Beck coaching him.

The problem with the offensive play calling was Ed not Beck as many people think but the regression of J.T. I blame almost fully on Beck. The injury and the O-line aren't helping I'm sure but holy shit did he just regress and regress and regress with Beck coaching him.

Sounds like Nussmeier.

He was suspended for a year. I am asking this sincerely, should he have a lifetime ban from organized football?

His punishment was to be redshirted

I'll preface this by saying that I wanted Mixon kicked out of the program and school forever back in 2014 when the incident happened and still stand by that. I think it was an awful mistake for Stoops to give him any avenue towards coming back. With that said: I'm getting tired of people who don't know anything about the situation beyond having seen the video two weeks ago claiming that his only punishment was losing his redshirt.

Redshirt players get to practice, go to all team meetings and functions, get one on one coaching and strength training, etc. He was kicked out of the program entirely that season. He had to work out on his own time and own dime at the public student gym and was not allowed to participate in any practices or coaching sessions. That's a lot different than a typical redshirt. And, as others have pointed out, the year of eligibility means squat. He's a first round talent that was never going to stay past his Junior season.

OU is like 4-0 against SEC teams in the past few years.

please god don't overrate them next year, that's what kills them every time.

Nah. What kills them is they just aren't a top 5 program. There's a sharp divide between the quality of recruiting classes Stoops pulled in from 1999-2008 and the classes he's pulled since. They are on target for a top 5 class this year. If they string a few of those together, then their fortunes could change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom