• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff + New Year's Six |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfkgoblue

When was the last time you had an impact on the national championship?

What do you mean impact? We had an impact this year, we had an impact in 2006. Had an impact in 2005, when we knocked PSU out of it. Won in 1997. A single decade does not remove a program as elite or make a program as elite.

El_Chino

OK lets see where Michigan is in 2-3 years compared to LSU.
giphy.gif

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
What do you mean impact? We had an impact this year, we had an impact in 2006. Had an impact in 2000. Won in 1997. A single decade does not remove a program as elite or make a program as elite.
What impact did you actually have this year? Play in a championship game of any kind?

Beat Penn State and kept them from the playoffs? Does that make Houston "elite" since they kept Oklahoma from the playoffs and were as meaningful to this season as Michigan?
2016. If they had beat tOSU, they would have been in the playoffs.
But... they didn't, so...

But tOSU has a losing record against them in the same time span.

So tOSU can't be elite either...?

Michigan counts wins vs OSU before OSU was playing organized football. Since 1950 OSU is 37-30 vs Michigan. If we count the time since both have been in the big 10 (1918) the record is 48-46-4 OSU.

Michigans won 1 national title in the last 70 years, and that one was a split title. BUt sure, we'll keep hanging that hat on all time wins leader with such wins over the following schools: Kalamazoo, Case, Western Reserve, Albion, Hillsdale

jfkgoblue

What impact did you actually have this year? Play in a championship game of any kind?

Beat Penn State and kept them from the playoffs? Does that make Houston "elite" since they kept Oklahoma from the playoffs?

You said impact, not "play in the champ game"

jfkgoblue

Sure, I was searching for what possible impact Michigan actually had on the season. Beating Penn State?

Were literally in the discussion about it until the last week.

You are just trying to troll Michigan fans at this point so I'm done.

mre

Were literally in the discussion about it until the last week.

You are just trying to troll Michigan fans at this point so I'm done.
No I'm not. You made the claim that your team is "elite" despite spending most of the past decade sucking. I'm trying to understand why you feel this to be the case, and am searching for some relevant impact you guys had to even this season. Beyond keeping Penn State out of the playoffs, I'm not finding any. "Almost" making the playoffs isn't having an impact.

jfkgoblue

No I'm not. You made the claim that your team is "elite" despite spending most of the past decade sucking. I'm trying to understand why you feel this to be the case, and am searching for some relevant impact you guys had to even this season. Beyond keeping Penn State out of the playoffs, I'm not finding any. "Almost" making the playoffs isn't having an impact.
Like I said, a single decade doesn't add or remove "elite" status, USC was still an elite program before this year. Texas is still an elite program. Bama was still an elite program before Saban.

They directly impacted who was playing in the playoffs, whilst they were still in contention for the playoff themselves, in their last regular season game of the year.

I'd say they impacted the NC this year, definitely.

By your reasoning, are the only teams that impact the NC this year Clemson and Bama?

Michigan counts wins vs OSU before OSU was playing organized football. Since 1950 OSU is 37-30 vs Michigan. If we count the time since both have been in the big 10 (1918) the record is 48-46-4 OSU.

You cant discount some years for my stat and then include them in yours just to suit.

I get that you are not supposed to like Michigan but you can't deny them as being an elite program if you consider tOSU as one.

Michigan ranked #1 34 times in the AP poll.

Other notable teams: (these dont include this season)
OSU- 105
OU-100
ND-98
Bama-74
USC-90
UNL-72
Texas-44
FSU-72
Gata-41

mre

By your reasoning, are the only teams that impact the NC this year Clemson and Bama?
Of course not. Washington and tOSU definitely did. I would say Penn State had significantly more of impact than Michigan and was more "in play" for a spot than Michigan, in that they actually played for a championship and because of winning said championship was close to getting into the playoffs.
Like I said, a single decade doesn't add or remove "elite" status, USC was still an elite program before this year. Texas is still an elite program. Bama was still an elite program before Saban.
Bullshit. Bama was a dumpster fire before Saban.

Apparently only 5 (FIVE!) 11+ win seasons since 1905 is elite

pssssst, LSU has 7

That's super disingenuous because you're using when the season was only 11 games long and there were only 4-5 bowl games in any given year as a metric. Lower the bar to 10 win seasons, a whopping single win, and Michigan has a grand total of 1 less since 1964, when the NCAA began playing 10-11 games a year in D1 play.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
That Mora thing.. he must have some strange definition of "spread".. thinking more like spread option like Oregon.

jfkgoblue

That's super disingenuous because you're using when the season was only 11 games long and there were only 4-5 bowl games in any given year as a metric. Lower the bar to 10 win seasons, a whopping single win, and Michigan has a grand total of 1 less since 1964, when the NCAA began playing 10-11 games a year in D1 play.

And the Big Ten only had one bowl team a year

Bo played 12+ games 16 times.

urban has 5 11+ win season at OSU alone

Of course not. Washington and tOSU definitely did. I would say Penn State had significantly more of impact than Michigan and was more "in play" for a spot than Michigan, in that they actually played for a championship and because of winning said championship was close to getting into the playoffs.

Up until 5 mins left in the last quarter of the regular season, Michigan was "in play" for the NC more than tOSU and Penn State.

I personally would have like to see Penn State ahead of tOSU in the playoff, and thought they were definitely the most deserving.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
But a higher winning percentage

Brady Hoke was 100% a Brandon creature

Something like .730 to .727, since it seems to count ties as half wins. Not bad, for starting like 15 years before, and a total of 40 some odd years before the semblance of organization occurs.

Maybe if Jim could lose less than 3 times a season, things would work out better.

Clemson @ $3.05, Bama @ $1.38 on my local betting account.

the line is Bama -6.5pts.

I think I am going to back Clemson straight and +6.5pts (to hopefully cover my bet if its a close loss).

Under/Over is 51pts...hmm, gonna be under I think. Two top defenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom