• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff + New Year's Six |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If we want to go there I'm pretty sure GT has 5 11+ winning seasons and a more current national championship than Michigan. Lol

Did he ever get his ass kicked for it?

Nah. A couple of times the opposition players looked like belting him one but didn't (they'd get suspended as well then).

I think he got a criminal charge (unlawful sexual conduct) and also was cut from his rugby team. It was a long time ago, but still Australian sporting folklore.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm sure that, when bowl games were played, that all Elite teams have a winning % of > .500, right?

This thread is more active than it was during some of the New Years 6 bowls. Did I miss something?

It's been ages since a History pissing war was kicked off. This is classic football talk. This is what it was like before the internets.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Nah. A couple of times the opposition players looked like belting him one but didn't (they'd get suspended as well then).

I think he got a criminal charge (unlawful sexual conduct) and also was cut from his rugby team. It was a long time ago, but still Australian sporting folklore.

So that's uncommon for rugby right.

Obviously, we were the better team, but managed to piss the game away.

Same with the Orange Bowl.

Lol.

andycapps

Not sure if Andy posted this yet or not.

Rodrigo Blankenship’s father: Son being refused a scholarship is ‘a crushing hardship for his family’

His dad wrote a letter into Dawg Nation on the matter. Totally agree with his dad. Kid totally getting the shaft especially in this sham that is billion dollar amateurism CFB.

I saw it and thought it was really poor form of his dad to take them to task in the media. While I'm sympathetic, he's not going to get a scholarship now as it would count towards the numbers of recruits they can sign this year.

I saw it and thought it was really poor form of his dad to take them to task in the media. While I'm sympathetic, he's not going to get a scholarship now as it would count towards the numbers of recruits they can sign this year.

Surely they can get a booster to pay for his school fees until they have a scholarship they can offer them. I'm not kidding.

Vanillalite

Kid got fucked that this is even an issue. The fact that his dad even had to go to the media is a crime.

I love CFB in terms of the games, but the business is shady as a mother fucker with kids basically working for free.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Not sure if Andy posted this yet or not.

Rodrigo Blankenship's father: Son being refused a scholarship is ‘a crushing hardship for his family'

His dad wrote a letter into Dawg Nation on the matter. Totally agree with his dad. Kid totally getting the shaft especially in this sham that is billion dollar amateurism CFB.
The kid walked on... if he wasn't promised a scholarship then he knew what he was getting into. His dad did him absolutely no favors airing this out publicly.
This is illegal as shit lol
You'll have to forgive him, he's a Mississippi fan.

The kid walked on... if he wasn't promised a scholarship then he knew what he was getting into. His dad did him absolutely no favors airing this out publicly.

100% by airing this he was promised a GS that he was then denied because they needed his spot.

If you're gonna greyshirt a kid you can't fuck him around like that.

If he was a PWO that was promised one, same principle applies. Most kickers are brought on by promises of future schollys.

andycapps

Surely they can get a booster to pay for his school fees until they have a scholarship they can offer them. I'm not kidding.

Umm, can't do that.

Kid got fucked that this is even an issue. The fact that his dad even had to go to the media is a crime.

I love CFB in terms of the games, but the business is shady as a mother fucker with kids basically working for free.

I mean 77% of his FG tries was good for 6th in the league. It's average. I think he probably would have gotten a scholarship in the fall. He wouldn't have gotten one right now regardless due to the scholarship situation with how it would count towards last year's recruiting numbers.

Vanillalite

Well he can't legally get a job to pay for school either cause that's illegal by NCAA rules.

Not to mention he has a job aka UGA kicker, but he doesn't actually get paid for his work unlike the coaches.

The more time passes the more I trend from wishy washy to anger on CFB players not getting a cut.

Lonestar

100% by airing this he was promised a GS that he was then denied because they needed his spot.

If he was a PWO that was promised one, same principle applies. Most kickers are brought on by promises of future schollys.

yeah, screwing with a greyshirt can lead to some seriously bad PR, makes it harder to get anyone to even entertain it

mre

Was he a PWO or greyshirt, because I don't see that anywhere in the article?

If so, then that, of course, changes the equation.

Well he can't legally get a job to pay for school either cause that's illegal by NCAA rules.

Not to mention he has a job aka UGA kicker, but he doesn't actually get paid for his work unlike the coaches.

The more time passes the more I trend from wishy washy to anger on CFB players not getting a cut.

Players can get jobs, they just have to be paid the same as anyone else

jfkgoblue

You absolutely can get a job as college athlete, just can't do the no-show jobs. A Michigan player drives for Uber in the offseason actually.

Yep, I say that players should be paid, but there is a regulated salary cap.

That would make it much more interesting to watch. Set the salary cap at a level so that you can't get five or six five star players, therefore spreading the talented players across more schools.

mre

Shittt we didn't lose to Iowa this year.

giphy.gif

andycapps

Was he a PWO or greyshirt, because I don't see that anywhere in the article?

If so, then that, of course, changes the equation.

I don't think Richt called them preferred walk ons, but I believe the contention is that Richt was hoping to get him a scholarship if he played well. Obviously Richt is now gone in his redshirt freshman year. It's kind of a crappy situation, and I get that the dad is mad he's spending his retirement on his education.

But there's a good shot some guys transfer this summer and some scholarships are freed up.

Lonestar

Miami
North Carolina State
Oklahoma
Air Force
Stanford
Colorado
Utah
Texas A&M
BYU

Teams that never lost to Iowa
and alot of teams that haven't had the pleasure of playing the Iowa Hawkeyes)

FOX 9 has learned through multiple sources that PJ Fleck has a tentative agreement with #Gophers to be the next head coach. 6-yr, $21M range

Moving from a row boat to a yacht

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom