• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff + New Year's Six |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...otball-playoff-championship-vs-clemson-tigers

Linebacker Tim Williams said watching or reading some forms of media has rubbed him the wrong way lately because he is starting to see some people talk more about how Clemson, which lost 45-40 to the Crimson Tide in last year's national title game, could beat Alabama. Talk of the Tigers winning "makes [him] mad watching it."

Williams compared talk of a possible Clemson win by the media to boxing promoters pushing a fight, and now Alabama is getting some underdog treatment in his eyes.

"[The media] is selling us as possible underdogs, possible upset," said Williams, who is second on Alabama's team with nine sacks. "We know what we have to come out there and do at the end of the day -- put the cleats on.

Love the team's attitude, but did they not watch Clemson's last game? Of course they're underdogs. Can't compete with Watson on his best day. Williams and Cain were the missing pieces last season. It's a wrap.

Wow, man. Sack up and grow a pair. Nobody knows what's going to happen, which is why they play the games.

lol nah man. Our secondary is weak. Might get ugly.

Sark's gonna be coaching from the sidelines, in case anyone doubted that for some reason. Figured that was a given though.

andycapps

I forget if it was Talon or who was going to Revival in Atlanta soon but they're debuting these for brunch tomorrow. Oh my.

MTkbN1Fh.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think this Bama defense is better suited for stopping Clemson's offense than last year. Secondary is better, and a lot faster with more pressure up front while still being dominant against the run. Defense started doing better last year after halftime until the 3rd and Chavis shit too.

Don't think Clemson will score as much as last year, the question is can Bama's offense put up enough points to win? I'm not sure.

jfkgoblue

In (hopefully) the last Najee Harris rumors, apparently the flight change to Birmingham was all BS and 247 is now saying they don't know any more.

Velcro Fly

Bo Pelini and 4 loss seasons

Made it all the way to the FCS title game and still looks unlikely to escape the specter of losing 4 games per season

I think this Bama defense is better suited for stopping Clemson's offense than last year. Secondary is better, and a lot faster with more pressure up front while still being dominant against the run. Defense started doing better last year after halftime until the 3rd and Chavis shit too.

Don't think Clemson will score as much as last year, the question is can Bama's offense put up enough points to win? I'm not sure.

All jokes aside, I really do think this defense will only give up about 3 TDs, while possibly scoring one or two of their own. All the talk about them being mismatched against the Clemson wideouts is stupid. I'm worried about Hurts and the offense getting anything going, but Clemson's shown a bit of a vulnerability defending runs outside of the tackles, and that's something Alabama can absolutely take advantage of. Stop me if you've heard this before, but we just need Hurts to not turn it over to eke the win out. If he's anything around decent throwing the ball, they probably win comfortably.

In (hopefully) the last Najee Harris rumors, apparently the flight change to Birmingham was all BS and 247 is now saying they don't know any more.

You don't say?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I just don't understand why anybody would think this kid wouldn't go to Michigan. Why wouldn't he choose Michigan?

I was stuck behind a Clemson party bus that was clearly driving down for the game. It was on 95 south, and they turned onto 10 with me to head to 75 down to Tampa.

Giant tiger tail flapping out of the back. Stickers everywhere on it. A decent sized TV screen that I could clearly see...

They were watching the fucking Beverly Hillbillies movie from the 90s. Everything about that felt right.

Because of course Clemson fans would be watching 90s Beverly Hillbilies.

Talon

I was stuck behind a Clemson party bus that was clearly driving down for the game. It was on 95 south, and they turned onto 10 with me to head to 75 down to Tampa.

Giant tiger tail flapping out of the back. Stickers everywhere on it. A decent sized TV screen that I could clearly see...

They were watching the fucking Beverly Hillbillies movie from the 90s. Everything about that felt right.

Definitely sound like Clempson fans from southern SC or northern GA.

Hey that movie is a classic!

I have never seen it.

cashman

Banned
So with okudah committing to tosu that makes 3 of the top 6 recruits in Texas going to Ohio St. And there's a chance that only 1 of the top 10 recruits stays in state.

I think we've finally found the dumbest recruiting saga of all time.

jfkgoblue

So with okudah committing to tosu that makes 3 of the top 6 recruits in Texas going to Ohio St. And there's a chance that only 1 of the top 10 recruits stays in state.

Oh and it's getting dumber with some fans doing flight trackers.

I mean the best Texas players committing to out of state teams has always been common in basketball recruiting, but not football. None of the 12 FBS teams in Texas are ranked, and a lot of that has to do with the sheer number of recruits leaving the state. I mean, Tom Herman has landed only one recruit so far in 2017, and he's just a 3 star, yet fans seem to be excited about this recruit. loweredexpectations.jpg

Holmes committing to UCLA is interesting.
Reportedly.. he wanted to go to Ohio State.. but family put the kibosh on that.

I would rather him have gone to UCLA..

We'll land Sheffield because he can come in and get a year in and off to the draft for him.

But we'll still be very solid overall in the secondary.

Beck and Tom will fix that

cashman

Banned
I mean the best Texas players committing to out of state teams has always been common in basketball recruiting, but not football. None of the 12 FBS teams in Texas are ranked, and a lot of that has to do with the sheer number of recruits leaving the state. I mean, Tom Herman has landed only one recruit so far in 2017, and he's just a 3 star, yet fans seem to be excited about this recruit. loweredexpectations.jpg

There's no dominant team in the state right now, between A&M's shine wearing off, Baylor blowing up and Texas in a transition. Honestly this makes it easier for Herman to recruit since you can't expect OOS schools to consistently take top talent like tOSU just did.

If Charlie wins 8 or 9 games last year, the Longhorns probably get at least Wilson, Browning and Little with a chance at Dobbins and Hines.

tebunker

Banned
This same guy reported that he was flying straight to Birmingham after the game on Thursday.

Right and it's gone back and forth a bunch. I think the point is that Najee doesn't want clowns like this dude breaking the news so he's obfuscating the information. I can't tell if him wanting to be private and secret about it is better or worse than someone lining up 40 hats and having the whole school show up etc.

[Ed. Note: As of 10:30 Central last night, reports came out of California that Harris has now cancelled his flight back to Cali and will instead be taking a plane to Alabama with Tua. Yes, I know, this flatly contradicts his decision 36 hours early to skip the Alabama flight and head back home. I'm not going to harass him either way. This is the biggest decision he's made in his young life. -E]
This is from RBR's article about the game today. So who knows what is going on. If dude gets on a plane tomorrow with Tua he does, if he doesn't fine, his choice, the thing though is there are no reports that he's flying to Michigan, it's either Oakland or B'ham...

Personally, I think he could of done a better part telling folks to just leave him alone and let him make the decision in private. The problem is the whole recruiting industry and people 'reporting' on it.

tebunker

Banned
Pete Fiutak
‏@PeteFiutak
Gut reaction at #CFBPlayoff media days: Clemson SUPER cocky, but Alabama acts & sounds like a team about to apply a beating

remember too, Alabama was chided for not being 'fun' appearing too business like for the Peach Bowl.

remember too, Alabama was chided for not being 'fun' appearing too business like for the Peach Bowl.

Not enough fuss is being made over how personal this defense was bound to take 40 points.

Also, while I love Eddie, I really do think the secondary is a little better without him. Can't replace that level of leadership on the field, but adding Tony Brown to the mix has made them even faster and bigger. Say what you will about Clemson's wideouts, our DBs are mismatched against nobody.

ag-my001

There's no dominant team in the state right now, between A&M's shine wearing off, Baylor blowing up and Texas in a transition. Honestly this makes it easier for Herman to recruit since you can't expect OOS schools to consistently take top talent like tOSU just did.

If Charlie wins 8 or 9 games last year, the Longhorns probably get at least Wilson, Browning and Little with a chance at Dobbins and Hines.
This is what aggravated me the most about Trevor Knight getting hurt and A&M blowing the two Mississippi games. An A&M team that goes 10-2 while the rest of the state blows up reaps significant benefits. They had a chance to improve long term, and they blew it.

tebunker

Banned
Apparently when the Alabama players were notified of Sark stepping in for Kiffin, there was a standing ovation. Jesus Christ, Lane.

This is amazing. I don't think the majority of players dislike CLFK, but I do think the majority of them want to win and play at their absolute best, and if that means making a change, they'll be 100% behind it.

Man when Saban retires and the cult of personality in that locker room finally fades away, it's going to be rough.

This is amazing. I don't think the majority of players dislike CLFK, but I do think the majority of them want to win and play at their absolute best, and if that means making a change, they'll be 100% behind it.

Man when Saban retires and the cult of personality in that locker room finally fades away, it's going to be rough.
Dabo comes home and continues having Bama compete at a high level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom