• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have also decided to control the mighty CITRONAUTS of CENTRAL FLORIDA. And thanks to Chicko I have decided to use Paul Johnson's Georgia Tech offensive playbook.

In my first game against Cincinnati I unlocked the "Tire Fire Offense" achievement, which is earned by gaining less than 200 yards of offense, scoring 0 offensive TDs and somehow winning. Clearly the conversion is going well!

(Blake Bortles got in for 1 or 2 plays and managed to throw an interception on his only pass!)

I see an error in your post. Clearly, you had to have been playing against Florida.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently Texas just got a decommitment from a 4-star running back from Dallas who is going to be visiting Wisconsin this weekend.

I figured Texas' recruiting would pick up a bit after the season they had, since they showed that they at least have a pulse under the new coaching staff. Losing a highly rated commit from 3 hours down the road doesn't support my theory.

Apparently Texas just got a decommitment from a 4-star running back from Dallas who is going to be visiting Wisconsin this weekend.

I figured Texas' recruiting would pick up a bit after the season they had, since they showed that they at least have a pulse under the new coaching staff. Losing a highly rated commit from 3 hours down the road doesn't support my theory.

Can't really blame an RB for going elsewhere. Our O-Line hasn't been giving our talented RB's many holes to run through over the past few seasons. 5-star RB Malcolm Brown will finish his Texas career without a 1000 yard rushing season and 5-star RB Jonathan Gray just has one more year of eligibility to try to get his first 1000 yard season. The decommit probably took a look at our recent history with RB's, and then looked at what Melvin Gordon is doing at Wisconsin and decided that situation looked better for him.

KingGondo

Banned

Hard to pick a better school than Wisconsin if you're a running back.

I see an error in your post. Clearly, you had to have been playing against Florida.

I returned the opening kick off for a TD, had a pick 6 and kicked a field goal to end the first half after my desperation passing got me close with 3 seconds to go in the first half. I think I picked off Zach Collaros 3 times and sacked him a bunch, and I kept Isaiah Pead in check. Otherwise my offense was abysmal :(

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Can't really blame an RB for going elsewhere. Our O-Line hasn't been giving our talented RB's many holes to run through over the past few seasons. 5-star RB Malcolm Brown will finish his Texas career without a 1000 yard rushing season and 5-star RB Jonathan Gray just has one more year of eligibility to try to get his first 1000 yard season. The decommit probably took a look at our recent history with RB's, and then looked at what Melvin Gordon is doing at Wisconsin and decided that situation looked better for him.

I'm sure you'll end up getting Chris Warren anyway.

Hard to pick a better school than Wisconsin if you're a running back.

True, but he's from Texas and he had been committed to Texas since October of 2013. Stuck with them for over a year, through a coaching change and the full 2014 season.

cashman

Banned

Texas still has two RB commitment and going after two more guys pretty hard right now, so this makes sense. The guy was a Mack Brown commit fwiw.

tokkun

Wisconsin's cupboard is also nearly bare for RBs, so there is a chance for significant play time as a freshman. The current #2 guy behind Clement in the depth chart for next year is a converted defensive player. I would not be surprised if we tried to get UAB's RB to transfer.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

We have 4 targets other than him that are more in line with what Strong wants. Charlie is looking for bruisers, this guy isn't that.

My guess is this is a combo of our looking at a lot of backs, our oline not being great (yet) and Wiscy being Wiscy.

Hard to find fault or anything to worry about here.

I'm very confident in our class coming in. Should wind up in the top 5 or so.

TTK is God. Thanks for doing the pick 'em all these years dude. You are the best. I'm pretty happy with coming in 4th this year, even though I really wanted to repeat last year's #1 finish. My picks were just shit for the entire middle of the season though.

andycapps

Jordan Stevenson.

Ah, yeah we wouldn't want a RB that size anyway. Our type is usually between 5'11" and 6'1" and about 200-230. I think they're taking one RB from a JC in 2015, which is surprising since I doubt he'll ever play. There will be 5 RB's ahead of him. And they have a 4 star committed for 2016. Seems to compare size wise to Nick Chubb.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
TTK is God. Thanks for doing the pick 'em all these years dude. You are the best. I'm pretty happy with coming in 4th this year, even though I really wanted to repeat last year's #1 finish. My picks were just shit for the entire middle of the season though.

It is a pretty terrible sign two FSU fans tied for 4th with the playoffs coming up.

If we lose first round, most likely ranking post season is 4th.

Oh, no, I saw that one. I gave the first one a pass. But then he doubled down in his attempt to send college football offenses everywhere back to the 1960's or 1970's.

Honestly, I dont think every team should try it because then it wouldnt be different, which is why I like it.

Its definitely the most entertaining offence to watch though: its very quick, seems like alway going for good yardage, the offence has to be very disciplined and coached, the defence has to play well to stay in the game.

I much prefer it over just handing it back to a RB each play and let them try and find the gap between the middle of the OL.

Looks like chicko is abandoning Ole Miss for Georgia Tech now.

Nah, different conferences, different teams.

In order fo my current favourite teams:

SEC - Ole Miss
ACC - GT
Big-12 - TCU
Big-10 - Michigan St
Pac-12 - Stanford
Independant - Notre Dame
MWC - Boise State

Honestly, I dont think every team should try it because then it wouldnt be different, which is why I like it.

Its definitely the most entertaining offence to watch though: its very quick, seems like alway going for good yardage, the offence has to be very disciplined and coached, the defence has to play well to stay in the game.

I much prefer it over just handing it back to a RB each play and let them try and find the gap between the middle of the OL.

You should check Georgia Tech's record in bowl games under Johnson, who brought the triple option offense with him. It's terrible. That offense can trip a team up when they have just that week to prepare, but give an opposing coach a little extended time and they'll coach the defense up and shut Georgia Tech down. The only coach not to? Lane Kiffin.

Big-10 - Michigan St
HJtSl17.gif

Independant - Notre Dame
KoegRZQ.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

They have tradition man! Tradition!

Its more of some family friends that are big Notre Dame fans. A couple of their sons went there and I even have a Notre Dame jacket in my cupboard which I was given like 15 years ago.

Also the first year I started watching CFB, they were reasonably successful and made the National Championship game.

I do like their tradition and uniform - I also like the "Play like a champion today" moto, something I say to my cricket team a fair bit.

So I have a bit of a soft spot for them.

You should check Georgia Tech's record in bowl games under Johnson, who brought the triple option offense with him. It's terrible. That offense can trip a team up when they have just that week to prepare, but give an opposing coach a little extended time and they'll coach the defense up and shut Georgia Tech down. The only coach not to? Lane Kiffin.

It may have been that GT's execution was bad, not that the style of offence is bad. I didnt see any of the games so I cant really comment.

This is a very well drilled team from what I saw last week. If the QB and wide receiver didnt make those two mistakes in the last quarter (the pass too long and then the pass too short on a huge miss-match), they may have won that game. They were good enough to win it if they got their execution right. So the style of offence may not be the problem, but the execution is.

I'll wait to see how it goes against Miss St this year. I think they are good enough to defeat Miss St, its not a type of offence SEC teams come up against often.

It may have been that GT's execution was bad, not that the style of offence is bad. I didnt see any of the games so I cant really comment.

This is a very well drilled team from what I saw last week. If the QB and wide receiver didnt make those two mistakes in the last quarter (the pass too long and then the pass too short on a huge miss-match), they may have won that game. They were good enough to win it if they got their execution right. So the style of offence may not be the problem, but the execution is.

I'll wait to see how it goes against Miss St this year. I think they are good enough to defeat Miss St, its not a type of offence SEC teams come up against often.

That's the thing, their passing execution is always suspect. They're completing around 51.8% of their passes this year. I've checked the stats, that's actually the best since Paul Johnson has been there. Just to compare it to the school they'll be facing in the bowl, Mississippi State completes 61.2% of pass plays. On average, teams that play Georgia Tech complete 62.7% of their passes.

Georgia Tech isn't going to get quality quarterbacks, because under Paul Johnson, the team only passes 12-15 times per game. They're going to get an Alabama DB to play QB, and an actual QB is going to go to another school. The same goes for wide receivers, they're not going to Tech to become nothing more than blockers.

JCX

Wisconsin is in such a weak division that you could easily compete each year for the conference championship, a national if you go undefeated. Bad year to hunt for coaches.

george_us

What the fuck?

Wiscy is a great job. Far better than Oregon State.

Has to be something going on behind the scenes we don't know about.
Word is Andersen got along great with Alvarez and the other Wisconsin higher ups but wasn't happy being in Wisconsin. Really sucks for the B1G. I thought Andersen was a great coach and he seemed like a really good dude. Made me wish it was Bielema and not Andersen that was on the receiving end that B1G Championship beating.

Holy shit just saw the Andersen news, this is nuts!

What Wiscy gets for not paying their coaches shit. A trend I wish wouldnt continue in the B1G....

cdyhybrid

He's moving to a state that's actually, you know, nice to live in.

They seem the same to me. Portland and a bunch of wasteland vs. Madison and a bunch of wasteland. At least Milwaukee seems to have a pulse and they have the Packers.

Oregon is just Portland dropped into Kentucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom