• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Apparently Gary Andersen is leaving Wisconsin to go to Oregon State? Sucks to hear, thought he was a great coach.

jFm8zvc.gif

Theres got to be something going on at Wiscy, Alvarez must be a total dick to work for. First fat face and now Gary leave to lesser job.

Enjoy your 19-19 new head coach, Paul Chryst!

Draxal

I'd be cool with that. He did some pretty incredible stuff with Rutgers.

Schiano is a legit college coach, is a bad NFL coach, but some good college coaches are bad NFL coach.

edit. I'm not sure if Schiano is a fit for Wiscy though, he's a program builder and you don't want to have him at an established program.

Theres got to be something going on at Wiscy, Alvarez must be a total dick to work for. First fat face and now Gary leave to lesser job.

Enjoy your 19-19 new head coach, Paul Chryst!

I think it's he just wants to go back to the West Coast.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
United States Trends · Change
#ExpelledMoviePremiere
#contestentry
Gary Anderson
#TortureReport
Barry Alvarez
#ICantBreathe
#WinterMeetings
Wisconsin for Oregon State
Paul Chryst

J-Roll

Piggus

They seem the same to me. Portland and a bunch of wasteland vs. Madison and a bunch of wasteland. At least Milwaukee seems to have a pulse and they have the Packers.

Oregon is just Portland dropped into Kentucky.

Nope. Progressive politics, 0% sales tax, good weather while retaining all four seasons, a a good variety of landscapes.

Washington is just Seattle dropped into a giant wet pine forest where the constant downpour of rain makes everyone want to hang themselves.

tokkun

The part about UW officials being unwilling to adjust academic standards makes sense. Andersen has had a bunch of his commits fail to qualify academically the last two years. Doesn't really seem like a reason to leave, though.

cdyhybrid

Nope. Progressive politics, 0% sales tax, good weather while retaining all four seasons, a a good variety of landscapes.

The politics thing is just because Portland has a large population compared to the Kentucky-with-rain majority of the state, you see the same thing with WA.

Washington is just Seattle dropped into a giant wet pine forest where the constant downpour of rain makes everyone want to hang themselves.

Actually, Washington is the Seattle-Tacoma metropolitan area dropped into western Idaho.

Schiano is a legit college coach, is a bad NFL coach, but some good college coaches are bad NFL coach.

edit. I'm not sure if Schiano is a fit for Wiscy though, he's a program builder and you don't want to have him at an established program.

I think it's he just wants to go back to the West Coast.

I hear that guy Nick Saban is pretty legit at coaching college. Too bad he sucked butt in the NFL.

I know Utah is in the Pac 12 but I wouldn't call it the West Coast.

The politics thing is just because Portland has a large population compared to the Kentucky-with-rain majority of the state, you see the same thing with WA.

Actually, Washington is the Seattle-Tacoma metropolitan area dropped into western Idaho.

I dunno, the Peninsula is a different kind of poor small town than everything east of the mountains.

Piggus

Western Idaho is horrible. I have family there. Eugh.

Also it only rains up where you guys are at. Southern Oregon is beautiful and gets over 200 days of sun per year. I'm also a 15 minute drive from California's cheap liquor.

We only have crazy conservative majority in the tiny little small towns by the way. I live in a small town and it's one of the most liberal places in the country, not just the state. Washington is the same way with its politics.

Pete Thamel @SIPeteThamel
Names for Wisconsin: Greg Schiano, Paul Chryst, Dave Clawson (finished 2nd last time), Justin Fuente, Matt Wells, Dave Aranda.

Maybe they should look into Fickell...the Buckeye D did just shut them out in the title game.

cdyhybrid

We should clearly replace Ohio State with TCU in the playoff, since the B1G CCG was tainted by one team's impending coaching vacancy.

That's the thing, their passing execution is always suspect. They're completing around 51.8% of their passes this year. I've checked the stats, that's actually the best since Paul Johnson has been there. Just to compare it to the school they'll be facing in the bowl, Mississippi State completes 61.2% of pass plays. On average, teams that play Georgia Tech complete 62.7% of their passes.

Georgia Tech isn't going to get quality quarterbacks, because under Paul Johnson, the team only passes 12-15 times per game. They're going to get an Alabama DB to play QB, and an actual QB is going to go to another school. The same goes for wide receivers, they're not going to Tech to become nothing more than blockers.

Kinda shows how effective the offensive scheme is though, doesnt it? Just losing to FSU because of two bad throws.

If they had a selfless QB who could throw the ball at 60-65%, they could be better. If they cant get a decent QB, they should improve their defence to make up for the passing inaccuracy (FSU did score on pretty much every drive they had).

When was the last time an NFL team played the triple option?

I would think someone like Johnny Manziel would like to play it given the amount of times he ends up just going on how he reads the defence rather than sticking to a play.

BJK

As a Badger fan, Coach Andersen flirted with the NFL to get a pay raise after 1 season on the job...then leaves after year 2.

F him.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Pete Thamel @SIPeteThamel
Names for Wisconsin: Greg Schiano, Paul Chryst, Dave Clawson (finished 2nd last time), Justin Fuente, Matt Wells, Dave Aranda.

Maybe they should look into Fickell...the Buckeye D did just shut them out in the title game.

Dave Clawson? LOLOLOL. Granted his team did double up a bowl bound beast that neither Ohio State or Duke could stop.

jjasper

Fuente would be a good hire. He has done really well in Memphis. I bet he is ready to bolt too. Best season the team has had in 40+ years and still couldn't get more than 35k to come to the games.

That's the thing, their passing execution is always suspect. They're completing around 51.8% of their passes this year. I've checked the stats, that's actually the best since Paul Johnson has been there. Just to compare it to the school they'll be facing in the bowl, Mississippi State completes 61.2% of pass plays. On average, teams that play Georgia Tech complete 62.7% of their passes.

Georgia Tech isn't going to get quality quarterbacks, because under Paul Johnson, the team only passes 12-15 times per game. They're going to get an Alabama DB to play QB, and an actual QB is going to go to another school. The same goes for wide receivers, they're not going to Tech to become nothing more than blockers.

That Demaryius Thomas guy sure sucks.

Kinda shows how effective the offensive scheme is though, doesnt it? Just losing to FSU because of two bad throws.

If they had a selfless QB who could throw the ball at 60-65%, they could be better. If they cant get a decent QB, they should improve their defence to make up for the passing inaccuracy (FSU did score on pretty much every drive they had).

When was the last time an NFL team played the triple option?

I would think someone like Johnny Manziel would like to play it given the amount of times he ends up just going on how he reads the defence rather than sticking to a play.

I have no idea when an NFL team last ran that offense. The thing about the NFL is an offensive scheme will be introduced, it will catch people off guard and rack up yards and points, and then defenses will adjust. I'm not the most knowledgeable person about schemes and names and such, but everything from the run-and-shoot to the wildcat has come and gone as defenses have eventually figured the schemes out. The only (named) offense I can think of with any staying power is the "west coast offense," which was made the most famous by the 49ers in the 80s.

Regarding finding a better quarterback for Georgia Tech, I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just not likely. The best guys aren't going to want to go there, as it's not going to help them get to the NFL. They'll get guys that can run that scheme, or convert players into QBs to run that scheme, but by running it, they're effectively writing off the passing game except as the occasional surprise and then when the time and score forces them to pass because their typical attack simply takes too much time.

As Bowser noted, Thomas was a Chan Gailey guy and had been there 2 years before Johnson arrived. Under Johnson, Tech has had 5 offensive players drafted, and 3 of them weren't his recruits.

I figured Megatron was from before, didn't know Thomas was as well.

I have no idea when an NFL team last ran that offense. The thing about the NFL is an offensive scheme will be introduced, it will catch people off guard and rack up yards and points, and then defenses will adjust. I'm not the most knowledgeable person about schemes and names and such, but everything from the run-and-shoot to the wildcat has come and gone as defenses have eventually figured the schemes out. The only (named) offense I can think of with any staying power is the "west coast offense," which was made the most famous by the 49ers in the 80s.

Regarding finding a better quarterback for Georgia Tech, I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just not likely. The best guys aren't going to want to go there, as it's not going to help them get to the NFL. They'll get guys that can run that scheme, or convert players into QBs to run that scheme, but by running it, they're effectively writing off the passing game except as the occasional surprise and then when the time and score forces them to pass because their typical attack simply takes too much time.

Spread concepts have been in the NFL for quite awhile now. Run based spread stuff like the zone read is a more recent innovation to reach the NFL. Packaged plays are probably the other big one.

The rules differences make full on hurry up/no huddle different but the Pats, Broncos and Eagles all use versions of it.

Sotha_Sil

Fuente would be a good hire. He has done really well in Memphis. I bet he is ready to bolt too. Best season the team has had in 40+ years and still couldn't get more than 35k to come to the games.

I think Fuente would be a good choice. He took Memphis from 3-9 last year to 9-3 this year. I wouldn't put too much stock in the attendance thing, though. When you've been as bad as Memphis has been the past 6 years or so, you don't just win fans back with one good season. At least that's true when you're not in a power conference.

Slo

How it the fuck is Oregon State a better job than Wisconsin? You go from contending for the B1G title to being a bottom feeder in the Pac12? He was infinitely closer to winning a Nation Championship at 'Sconi than at Oregon State.

How it the fuck is Oregon State a better job than Wisconsin? You go from contending for the B1G title to being a bottom feeder in the Pac12? He was infinitely closer to winning a Nation Championship at 'Sconi than at Oregon State.

It's not, obv something going on at wiscy. Alvarez is probably dick tied with they don't pay their assistants jack shit.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Location and pressure to win maybe?

If the pay was the same, and you are lauded for an even record at one school and lambasted for an 8 win season at another, which would you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom