• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
Michigan should get someone who will play a triple option offence.

Everyone should play a triple option offence.

The most entertaining style of offence I have seen.

Also, who thinks Johnny Football will go well this weekend? I hear he is starting his first match against Cincinnati. I think he will do well.

He'll do quite well before the league adjusts on him.

Grrrrreeeeeeeeeeeat:

‏@BCastOZone 14m14 minutes ago
According to @wsyx6 in Columbus, police responded to domestic incident at JT Barrett's apartment early Tues. morning. http://bit.ly/1372eE6

‏@BCastOZone 12m12 minutes ago
No arrests were made, but Barrett's girlfriend told police he choked her with his forearm on the bed while taking her phone away.

@BCastOZone 11m11 minutes ago
Barrett told police she attacked him & pushed him after he asker her to leave, so he pushed her away in self-defense. Again, no arrests made

Grrrrreeeeeeeeeeeat:

According to @wsyx6 in Columbus, police responded to domestic incident at JT Barrett's apartment early Tues. morning. http://bit.ly/1372eE6

No arrests were made, but Barrett's girlfriend told police he choked her with his forearm on the bed while taking her phone away.

Barrett told police she attacked him & pushed him after he asker her to leave, so he pushed her away in self-defense. Again, no arrests made

Hooo boy.

andycapps

Grrrrreeeeeeeeeeeat:

Goes without saying, but he would have been arrested in Athens with our Barney Fife cops. And actually, surprised he wasn't arrested.

Grrrrreeeeeeeeeeeat:

Urban's stressball gonna work overtime today.

Meier

Josh Sweat (ESPN's #1 player, a bit lower at some of the other sites due a knee injury) just committed to FSU as well. Good day thus far for the Noles.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Grrrrreeeeeeeeeeeat:

Meyer is clever. He knew this would happen so he had Barrett fake a leg "injury" to get Cardale Jones some game experience without inflaming the fan base. Clever girl, Meyer. Clever girl.

Also, what happens when Jones is academically ineligible for not going to class? Who gets the start?

Also, what happens when Jones is academically ineligible for not going to class? Who gets the start?

Don't count on it.

USA Today said:
Ohio State coach Urban Meyer met with Ginn and others who have supported Jones back in Cleveland to talk about the expectations Jones needed to fulfill if he was going to be part of the Buckeyes' program. The conversations helped. The player who once questioned the need to invest in his school's main mission, academics, was named an Ohio State Scholar-Athlete with a 3.0 grade-point average his next two terms.

andycapps

Josh Sweat (ESPN's #1 player, a bit lower at some of the other sites due a knee injury) just committed to FSU as well. Good day thus far for the Noles.

I had thought he was Va Tech bound. Knew it was between UGA, Va Tech, and FSU. Good pickup.

Meier

I had thought he was Va Tech bound. Knew it was between UGA, Va Tech, and FSU. Good pickup.

It looks like ESPN moved him down to 5, but he is still #1 on 247. Apparently he is an early enrollee so he should have access to higher quality rehab -- hopefully he is ready by next season but either way, he'll be a big boost down the line. DE is a position we could use some talent at.

We can occasionally pull a really good kid out of that Virginia/DC/Maryland area -- they have so many talented players up there.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
How does he throw a football with no bones in his arm?

kjgAFEO.png

andycapps

It looks like ESPN moved him down to 5, but he is still #1 on 247. Apparently he is an early enrollee so he should have access to higher quality rehab -- hopefully he is ready by next season but either way, he'll be a big boost down the line. DE is a position we could use some talent at.

We can occasionally pull a really good kid out of that Virginia/DC/Maryland area -- they have so many talented players up there.

Yeah, he's clearly got a lot of talent and would probably be ranked higher on some sites if it weren't for the injury. He wasn't a vital piece for us, though would have been great to have. Trenton Thompson (#1 DT in class), Terry Godwin (5 star athlete but probably WR), and Rashad Roundtree were vital pieces for us, and thankfully they're committed. Big pieces of help we needed were at DL, WR, and DB and so far they've addressed it well but there are still at least 5 spots left and some good targets that they're after. I expect at least one more DB, though we already have 6 commits there. As we've seen this season, can never have too many.

For what it's worth, Duke denies that there was any contact between Michigan and Cutcliffe.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/12...no-contact-with.html?sp=/99/103/119/269/&rh=1

Duke head coach David Cutcliffe has not had any contact with Michigan about its vacant head coaching job, a Duke spokesman said Wednesday.

Sports information director and football poll voter Art Chase said neither Michigan nor any third parties representing Michigan have contacted Cutcliffe or Duke athletic director Kevin White. Internet rumors began swirling Tuesday afternoon when 247Sports.com’s Michigan website reported that the Wolverines were gauging Cutcliffe’s interest. Later that night, NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt reported that Cutcliffe turned Michigan down.

Not true, says Duke.

"David has long committed himself to Duke, a journey that began, in complete earnest, back in December of 2007,” White said in a statement sent to the News & Observer. “Of course, David has enormous, perhaps unqualified, programmatic expectations for Duke football. However, at the very core of Coach Cutcliffe, is an elite teacher, who literally thrives on the serious prospect of developing all dimensions of the young men under his tutelage. Within that respective framework, David operates, unequivocally, with the highest degree of integrity and honor!

“That said, Duke University is terribly fortunate to have David's seasoned leadership, as the program continues to embark on it's very next set of both remarkable and historical accomplishments!"

According to the school’s most recently available Form 990, Cutcliffe was paid $1.84 million by Duke in 2012. That number will likely increase on future 990 forms, thanks to Duke’s 2013 Coastal Division title. According to USA Today, Michigan payed former coach Brady Hoke $2.86 million.

If it was all about money, Cutcliffe would have left Duke long ago. The football program continues to progress in terms of recruiting and on-the-field results, and Wallace Wade Stadium is currently in the midst of a renovation that will be complete in August 2016.

ryan-ts

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport 16m16 minutes ago
To be clear, there has been zero contact between Michigan and Duke’s David Cutcliffe. No third party contact, even through search firm

KingGondo

Banned
For what it's worth, Duke denies that there was any contact between Michigan and Cutcliffe.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/12...no-contact-with.html?sp=/99/103/119/269/&rh=1
This has to be the most Duke-ish athletic statement ever:

“Of course, David has enormous, perhaps unqualified, programmatic expectations for Duke football. However, at the very core of Coach Cutcliffe, is an elite teacher, who literally thrives on the serious prospect of developing all dimensions of the young men under his tutelage. Within that respective framework, David operates, unequivocally, with the highest degree of integrity and honor!
We get it. You're the AD at Duke.

Kacar

Attrition has possibly helped the QB controversy already. Now Urban will wait for Braxton or Cardale to screw up off the field before summer camp.
But they are just such good people they would never!!

Also reading more about the JT situation makes it look like nothing, usually if there's any suspicion of violence there will be an arrest.

Still expect a slight suspension at the start of next year.

Has there been any rumours of Herman going to coach anywhere?

Chris Mortensen @mortreport · 13m 13 minutes ago

Spoke to Duke’s David Cutcliffe. He hasn’t talked to Michigan nor has Duke AD Kevin White. No job offered to turn down. Content at Duke.

Chris MortensenVerified account ‏ @ mortreport

To be clear, there has been zero contact between Michigan and Duke’s David Cutcliffe. No third party contact, even through search firm

----

So basically people are just making things up at this point. #gamesjournalism

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Rare Interview with Lane Kiffikens

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/12/in_rare_interview_lane_kiffin.html

On Alabama's running backs:

"The amazing thing is, the most unique of all of them, Kenyan Drake, was injured in that Ole Miss game and is out for the year. He was kind of the Reggie Bush factor - the first play of the Florida game we threw to him as a wide receiver (for an 87-yard touchdown). The other guys are phenomenal running backs, but don't do the other stuff that Kenyan did, but it will be exciting to get him back next year. And I always, I shouldn't do it, but I think sometimes, imagine if we still had him. It would be such a mismatch issue."

Talked to someone that has connections to the Sound/Headset systems for the football team, and said that after Drake had gotten injured, the coaches were worried, because Drake was going to be a featured part of that game (Ole Miss). They had to improvise a gameplan after that.

Guys, I started my Bizzarro World Dynasty in NCAA last night.

I don't have the full changes I made but off the top of my head:

1. ACC remained at the same 12 teams they had.
2. The B1G swapped Nebraska for Notre Dame
3. Nebraska returned to the Big 12 and TCU joined the Big 12. The conference returned to the old divisions with TCU replacing Colorado in the North.
4. The Big East added Memphis, UCF, ECU and Temple.
5. The Pac 12 remained at 12 teams.
6. The SEC remained at 12 teams.
7. C-USA changed a bunch but I can't be assed to remember who I shuffled.
8. The MWC is made up of mostly the teams from the current MWC Mountain division but I made sure the conference had at least 8 teams.
9. Same thing for the WAC.
10. The Sun Belt has 9 teams I think.
11. Army is the lone independent team in the nation.

I have also decided to control the mighty CITRONAUTS of CENTRAL FLORIDA. And thanks to Chicko I have decided to use Paul Johnson's Georgia Tech offensive playbook.

In my first game against Cincinnati I unlocked the "Tire Fire Offense" achievement, which is earned by gaining less than 200 yards of offense, scoring 0 offensive TDs and somehow winning. Clearly the conversion is going well!

(Blake Bortles got in for 1 or 2 plays and managed to throw an interception on his only pass!)

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
This has to be the most Duke-ish athletic statement ever:

We get it. You're the AD at Duke.

No other reply could adequately convey the steadfastness, loyalty and magnanimty of Duke's interprid football coach, David Cutcliffe. Anything less would be bereft of the import that he has contributed to both the program and university as a whole. His endeavors have elevated the program to be the paradigm that all of college football should strive for.

KingGondo

Banned
No other reply could adequately convey the steadfastness, loyalty and magnanimty of Duke's interprid football coach, David Cutcliffe. Anything less would be bereft of the import that he has contributed to both the program and university as a whole. His endeavors have elevated the program to be the paradigm that all of college football should strive for.

ENagATV1Gr9eg.gif

The Best Pac-12 Swag Bags

USC/National Holiday Bowl:

A $445 Best Buy gift card. The Trojans will get these just in time for all those After-Christmas sales. More importantly, there isn’t a whole lot you CAN’T buy at Best Buy. iPads, DVDs, video games, televisions, laptops, blenders, microwaves…the list goes on and on. If it has a plug in that charges in an electrical outlet, it can probably be found at Best Buy.

UCLA/Valero Alamo Bowl:

GoPro Hero4 Silver camera. This brand new edition to the GoPro family is valued at $399.99. This latest edition features a built-in touch display, 1080p quality video and to top it all off built-in WiFi and Bluetooth. There is never a shortage of things to video on a GoPro, so maybe we'll see Brett Hundley sporting his on top of his helmet against Kansas State. Have fun Bruins.

Oregon/Rose Bowl:

Fossil Watch. The Ducks will get a fairly pricey watch featuring their team logo. You could almost call it a ‘timeless’ gift. A Fossil Watch and a chance at the College Football Playoff Championship…sounds like a good deal.

The Worst Pac-12 Swag Bags

Utah/Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl:

An Oakley Works backpack. Sorry Utes, the only thing you get is a backpack. As if every athlete on every Pac-12 campus isn't already outfitted with a backpack from the school athletic department? But do take consolation in the fact that your bowl game is in Las Vegas.

Arizona State/Hyundai Sun Bowl:

The Sun Devils will be the proud owners of Helen of Troy hair dryers. Yes, that’s right, hair dryers. These beauties retail between $30 and $40 dollars and are a long-standing gift to players in the Sun Bowl. In fact, two years ago, USC received the same blow dryers when they played in this bowl. I wonder how many players will immediately re-gift these on Christmas to a female family member?

http://www.conquestchronicles.com/2...-and-worst-pac-12-bowl-game-swag-bags-of-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom