• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

During the World Cup, I crafted a theory that British people complain because its therapeutic to them. I felt like, in some ways the Brits didn't mind England fucking up in the World Cup because it gave them a chance to whine and complain some more. Therefor, its a win/win situation for them.

You should ask them what they think of Rooney.

I saw in the Cali thread that they canceled school in SF because of rain.

TwsQWVZ.jpg

During the World Cup, I crafted a theory that British people complain because its therapeutic to them. I felt like, in some ways the Brits didn't mind England fucking up in the World Cup because it gave them a chance to whine and complain some more. Therefor, its a win/win situation for them.
It's a very supported theory based on last summer's cup. God knows how they'll react when they win.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I thought CA was experiencing water shortages? I thought they'd be running outside praising Obama* for making it rain.

*Insert Democratic figure of choice.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Speaking of rain, the past few days have turned the WW reconstruction into a mudpit

B4gLHxdCIAEuF8P.jpg

Good to see Laken make the AA list. Was hoping Helton and Cash would get some votes too.

Our Texas governor held a day of statewide prayer for rain a few years ago during our drought. And guess what? most of our state is no longer in a drought. Praise Jesus!

Balphon

You should ask them what they think of Rooney.

I saw in the Cali thread that they canceled school in SF because of rain.

I think it is more due to the wind and the associated widespread disruption of basic services (i.e. power).

I can safely say I unfortunately never had school cancelled on account of weather in my 13 years of San Francisco primary and secondary education.

Only natural disaster.

andycapps

B4mV6T-IYAAr1ON.jpg

suck it bama!

Sorry, I'm not going to accept that as true until I see it on Bleacher Report.

I think it is more due to the wind and the associated widespread disruption of basic services (i.e. power).

I can safely say I unfortunately never had school cancelled on account of weather in my 13 years of San Francisco primary and secondary education.

Only natural disaster.

That's well and good, but let me have my chance to point and laugh at how school was seemingly canceled because of rain. Granted, they canceled here in Ohio last year when it was too cold, though it was around 0 degrees at the time so I think they were worried about kids waiting for buses in that weather. Thankfully that abomination from Canada isn't a normal thing, but it was around for about a week.

Balphon

That's well and good, but let me have my chance to point and laugh at how school was seemingly canceled because of rain. Granted, they canceled here in Ohio last year when it was too cold, though it was around 0 degrees at the time so I think they were worried about kids waiting for buses in that weather. Thankfully that abomination from Canada isn't a normal thing, but it was around for about a week.

It's pretty hilarious up here in Portland where everyone flips their shit at the slightest amount of snow (mostly because the city's snow response team is like three guys with shovels). During the cold snap we had last month they preemptively cancelled classes on the expectation of a snowstorm that ended up being a light rain, and then proceeded to not cancel classes the next day when all the roads froze over after the temperature actually got below freezing.

I can show you a webpage that has the USA Today's choices, and it's Bama. So what.

http://fanindex.usatoday.com/2014/12/08/the-10-best-fan-bases-in-college-football/

More Mentions, less points, sounds like B1G math to me, always overselling the product.

I'll never forget 4 or 5 years ago one of our tOSU fans here said the B1G was the strongest conference brand in the nation. In a way we all live in our own bubble, but even in B1G territory that seemed like a stretch

Big Problem is buses wont start when its too cold.

andycapps

Big Problem is buses wont start when its too cold.

That's a good point.

Balphon said:
It's pretty hilarious up here in Portland where everyone flips their shit at the slightest amount of snow (mostly because the city's snow response team is like three guys with shovels). During the cold snap we had last month they preemptively cancelled classes on the expectation of a snowstorm that ended up being a light rain, and then proceeded to not cancel classes the next day when all the roads froze over after the temperature actually got below freezing.

Ice is the worst. Our neighborhood rarely gets plowed if it snows, so it tends to melt during the day and refreeze at night. Repeat that cycle a few days and it's pretty nasty, thankfully the streets are very flat.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Ice is the worst. Our neighborhood rarely gets plowed if it snows, so it tends to melt during the day and refreeze at night. Repeat that cycle a few days and it's pretty nasty, thankfully the streets are very flat.

That's the problem in Dallas. Even when it snows it's basically always warm enough during the day to melt everything so it refreezes at night and the entire city basically just turns into one big ice sheet.

andycapps

That's the problem in Dallas. Even when it snows it's basically always warm enough during the day to melt everything so it refreezes at night and the entire city basically just turns into one big ice sheet.

Atlanta is the same, except Atlanta has a ton of hills. Here they do a good job of clearing things, but neighborhoods are hit or miss. Though I do think they actually plowed our street the one time this year that it has snowed a little thus far. I was shocked. First time in years.

Haha watching a football like here in the UK about Eric Dickerson and he was talking about recruitment. Texas told him if he doesn't play for them he won't get a job in the state of Texas. He then tod his mum to make them leave.

I think the lesson here is that British people like to complain about everything.

As an Australian with heaps of British family, friends and workmates, I can confirm - British people complain about everything.

Its part of their culture - I think its to do with their weather mainly. How can you be happy when 250 odd days a year it is drizzling!

That's the thing, their passing execution is always suspect. They're completing around 51.8% of their passes this year. I've checked the stats, that's actually the best since Paul Johnson has been there. Just to compare it to the school they'll be facing in the bowl, Mississippi State completes 61.2% of pass plays. On average, teams that play Georgia Tech complete 62.7% of their passes.

Georgia Tech isn't going to get quality quarterbacks, because under Paul Johnson, the team only passes 12-15 times per game. They're going to get an Alabama DB to play QB, and an actual QB is going to go to another school. The same goes for wide receivers, they're not going to Tech to become nothing more than blockers.
Is this for real? Do you have any idea how the offense at GT even works? Completion percentage is probably the worst way to actually judge our passing game. We don't throw short slants. We don't have check downs. There are no 5 yard pass plays in our offense except the occasional wide receiver screen. We are in the top 10 in passing yards per attempt. We are in the top 15 in quarterback rating. Our passing game works exactly how it should work and is a good reason why we have one of the best offenses in the country.

Is this for real? Do you have any idea how the offense at GT even works? Completion percentage is probably the worst way to actually judge our passing game. We don't throw short slants. We don't have check downs. There are no 5 yard pass plays in our offense except the occasional wide receiver screen. We are in the top 10 in passing yards per attempt. We are in the top 15 in quarterback rating. Our passing game works exactly how it should work and is a good reason why we have one of the best offenses in the country.

I'll defer to your superior knowledge of your team since you have presumably watched them play more often. I've only seen them twice this year, where their passing yardage has come because it literally surprises the heck out of the defense that Tech is even passing the ball. For example, against Florida State, I think they started the game with 25+ consecutive running plays (admittedly, most for good yardage) before they threw a pass to a wide open receiver, which helps pick up big yards on those few passes since they can add more yards after the catch. On the other hand, you also see the Tech QB often enough miss wide open receivers, and when they're in obvious passing situations, you can basically forget it.

I'll defer to your superior knowledge of your team since you have presumably watched them play more often. I've only seen them twice this year, where their passing yardage has come because it literally surprises the heck out of the defense that Tech is even passing the ball. For example, against Florida State, I think they started the game with 25+ consecutive running plays (admittedly, most for good yardage) before they threw a pass to a wide open receiver, which helps pick up big yards on those few passes since they can add more yards after the catch. On the other hand, you also see the Tech QB often enough miss wide open receivers, and when they're in obvious passing situations, you can basically forget it.
Justin Thomas completed 57.1 percent of his passes on 3rd and 7-9 yards to go and 42 percent in 3rd and 10+. That puts him in the top 50 QBs in the country and top 4 in the ACC. He also had 6 TD passes in those situations. I would hardly call that a forget about it situation. You are right though, we will keep running the ball if the defense is giving it to us. We frequently have games where we only pass the ball 7-10 times because we don't need to. Against FSU this was skewed even more because our best receiver was out with an injury. When we need to pass the ball though, we have been plenty effective in doing it in all situations this year. We had to convert a few third and longs and a 4th and 15 to win a game earlier in the year.

eznark

Banned
Two years ago: hope this is a stop gap hire til the Chryst buyout runs out.

YEAHHHHHHHHHH BUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Ganhyun

Atlanta is the same, except Atlanta has a ton of hills. Here they do a good job of clearing things, but neighborhoods are hit or miss. Though I do think they actually plowed our street the one time this year that it has snowed a little thus far. I was shocked. First time in years.

Atlanta metro areas also thought dumping just sand instead of a mix or any salt at all would fix the problem too.

Justin Thomas completed 57.1 percent of his passes on 3rd and 7-9 yards to go and 42 percent in 3rd and 10+. That puts him in the top 50 QBs in the country and top 4 in the ACC. He also had 6 TD passes in those situations. I would hardly call that a forget about it situation. You are right though, we will keep running the ball if the defense is giving it to us. We frequently have games where we only pass the ball 7-10 times because we don't need to. Against FSU this was skewed even more because our best receiver was out with an injury. When we need to pass the ball though, we have been plenty effective in doing it in all situations this year. We had to convert a few third and longs and a 4th and 15 to win a game earlier in the year.

I only saw GT play once this year and are a big fan of their offence, but the QB missed two easy throws which could have possibly won them the game and an ACC title.

Randolph's comments are valid, if you had a QB how was a better passer than Thomas, you could be better.

My comment is still valid as well IMO: if GT had a very good passing QB to compliment their running options, they could be a very, very good team. Instead they are just a good team. The system is effective, its just their execution which let them down.

andycapps

As an Australian with heaps of British family, friends and workmates, I can confirm - British people complain about everything.

Its part of their culture - I think its to do with their weather mainly. How can you be happy when 250 odd days a year it is drizzling!

I have no idea how you could be happy with that much rain. Maybe someone from Seattle can weigh in?

Atlanta metro areas also thought dumping just sand instead of a mix or any salt at all would fix the problem too.

Yeah I'm not sure how much good sand does with ice. I know it's going to make it a brown slushy mess. What these cities like Atlanta should do is work out a deal with another city to borrow their trucks and drivers when a big storm is coming and pay them a ton of money to do so. Would be cheaper than employing those people and maintaining those trucks for the years you don't need them.

It certainly explains why they felt so compelled to colonize the entire planet.

They were desperate to find places that aren't dank and gray the entire year.

I only saw GT play once this year and are a big fan of their offence, but the QB missed two easy throws which could have possibly won them the game and an ACC title.

Randolph's comments are valid, if you had a QB how was a better passer than Thomas, you could be better.

My comment is still valid as well IMO: if GT had a very good passing QB to compliment their running options, they could be a very, very good team. Instead they are just a good team. The system is effective, its just their execution which let them down.
Assuming those throws are the ones im thinking of those weren't necessarily two easy throws, they were two pass option plays where the receiver had the option to run a stop and go if he thought he could beat the cover man or come back for a back shoulder throw. Because it was a backup receiver that doesn't run that route often, him and Justin Thomas weren't on the same page about what he was doing.

His point earlier though was that Justin Thomas is a poor QB because of his completion percentage, which isn't really true. This type of offense hinders the ability to have a high overall completion percentage. Eric Crouch won the Heisman in this type of offense with a 55% completion percentage which was the highest completion percentage of his great career. Its just hard to maintain a high passing percentage when most of your passes are over 10 yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom