• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

What ever team drafts him will just end up a bunch of million dollars lighter with a higher draft pick in four years or something

Piggus

It wasn't necessary nor right to use that type of event in jubilation. I don't think a harsh punishment is right but I like that Helfrich is taking action.

Criticize the program for Nike money and that Willie Lyles business but Oregon has integrity when it comes to their players breaking rules.

How was your Rose Bowl experience? I've enjoyed the two that I've been to but my god it can be a mess getting out of that place. Trying to leave the stadium after the 2010 Rose Bowl was a joke.

How was your Rose Bowl experience? I've enjoyed the two that I've been to but my god it can be a mess getting out of that place. Trying to leave the stadium after the 2010 Rose Bowl was a joke.
That's the sad part about the Rose Bowl. Getting out of there is horrible.

inm8num2

SEC-West teams allowed an average of 34.5 points/game in bowls. Other than Arkansas keeping Texas to 7, the rest of the teams gave up 31 or more.

Kevtones

I was at the Wisky 2012 one and I had no complaints. Today I parked a good ways away (I live in Pasadena) and got a little lost because of the dark but it wasn't bad. You've just gotta' remember your direction as Rosemont or Seco and plan accordingly.

I was in the FSU end zone btw. The tomahawk Duck chants throughout the 4th quarter were troll gold.

It's all about matchups.

Alabama would've beaten Oregon, but no way does a Big Ten team beat Pac12 champ Oregon.

So with Ohio State winning tonight, Oregon has this shit on lock. They should just crown them already and save Ohio State the humiliation.

tokkun

Why is Oregon's coach planning on disciplining his players for chanting "no means no"?

The message is important for anyone to hear. Is it because one of the players on FSU's sideline?

Much as people loathe Winston, it should only take the smallest amount of human decency to see that it is really gross to see people taking what may have been a real rape and using it to as a means of gloating over a football victory, with gleeful smiles on their faces.

Punishing them is the right call, just like it was right for Rutgers to apologize for the molestation joke signs when they played Penn State.

It's all about matchups.

Alabama would've beaten Oregon, but no way does a Big Ten team beat Pac12 champ Oregon.

So with Ohio State winning tonight, Oregon has this shit on lock. They should just crown them already and save Ohio State the humiliation.

I don't think this is true at all especially with how they played tonight. Mariota would have ripped that secondary to shreds.

Jokes metalslimer. These are jokes.

Oh lol

Lunar15

As an SEC fan, I would hope these exposing losses in bowl season would keep the media from overrating the SEC again.

Although, it is funny to me that the year where you heard the most conspiracy theories about how ESPN needed the SEC to get into the NC due to the SEC Network is also the year a SEC team didn't make it.

Also, I'm perfectly happy with the outcome of these games, it's what I wanted. Better for recruiting, if you ask me. FSU or Bama winning big would have been even more of a blow.

I hope to beat Oregon but I'm honestly happy with just beating Alabama with a 3rd stringer in his 2nd game. And wasn't even as close as the score. A fumble and some insane punts kept it closer.

The Oregon MSU game was fairly close.

Why is Oregon's coach planning on disciplining his players for chanting "no means no"?

The message is important for anyone to hear. Is it because one of the players on FSU's sideline?

Because

Kate Fagan @katefagan3 · 4h 4 hours ago
Real question: In what spirit were the Oregon players chanting "No means no"? In support of positive consent, or mocking an opponent?

Rape jokes make me irate. Anything belittling sexual assault should not be tolerated. So the above question is appropriate. Exactly what were these players doing?

Piggus

I hope to beat Oregon but I'm honestly happy with just beating Alabama with a 3rd stringer in his 2nd game. And wasn't even as close as the score. A fumble and some insane punts kept it closer.

The Oregon MSU game was fairly close.

Fairly close? We scored like 28 points unanswered in the second half I believe...

Because

Rape jokes make me irate. Anything belittling sexual assault should not be tolerated. So the above question is appropriate. Exactly what were these players doing?

Being dickheads. That's what they were doing. I hope they're fined or punished in a manner that makes very clear how utterly embarrassing and unacceptable that was.

demolitio

What a night. I turned off the Spartans game after they were losing so badly just to hear they won while I was watching OSU prove a point.

There's great teams in all of these big conferences, but at some point, the B1G (still feels weird to type that) deserves some credit and these analysts need to stop treating the SEC like it's the NBA while the others are in the D-League.

Oregon will of course be the favorite, but how many times has OSU heard that and still come out and pull it off? Hell, I wish the Seminoles won that game instead.

Well, he may be wrong in saying that, but Oregon sure didn't cause that one fumble.

Oregon's D played the best game of their season. D line actually looked formidable and for a secondary missing their best player they kept Winston in check and had some key turnovers. FSU didn't lose that badly because they beat themselves. It was more than that.

Amazes me how out of touch Jameis is with everything.

I can't believe Jameis said "we beat ourselves"

I don't mind that, and I don't think it takes one thing away from Oregon. Florida State, save for the opening series, one fourth down stop in the first half and an interception in the same half, did not stop Oregon all night. But FSU did leave some points on the board (the 4th and inches play in the first half) and then had that hilarious series of fumbles and the bobbled pass that became an interception. Florida State was able to move the ball down the field almost as easily as Oregon, but they did not take care of the ball and, yes, Oregon played a part in that by stripping the ball multiple times. Correct some of those mistakes, Oregon doesn't score 59, Florida State isn't stuck on 20. Does Florida State win? I don't know, I kind of doubt it, for the simple fact that Florida State had to settle for 3 FGAs (1 missed) while Oregon I think only went for 1?

Lunar15

Oregon's D played the best game of their season. D line actually looked formidable and for a secondary missing their best player they kept Winston in check and had some key turnovers. FSU didn't lose that badly because they beat themselves. It was more than that.

I agree with you, I was just joking about how ridiculous that one fumble was.

ducksdagger.0.gif

Kevtones

Feel like they played better against Zona (32 yards at halftime or something like that?). Still, they were opportunistic and smart today. Felt confident.

Not a fan of that 'beat ourselves' mentality. I get it, but it's not necessary speech.

One thing is clear, though -- the Florida State defense had nothing for Oregon. Not one thing. They had looked suspect all year, though they typically got stronger as games progressed -- it wasn't just Jameis diggng them out of holes, it was the defense figuring out the opposing offense and locking them down. Not today. They were over matched and out classed from the second series on. Laugh, if you will, about Florida State's schedule, but they faced some good offenses (none on the level of Oregon), but this game and this season suggests that the defensive coaching needs to take it up about 6 levels.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
One thing is clear, though -- the Florida State defense had nothing for Oregon. Not one thing. They had looked suspect all year, though they typically got stronger as games progressed -- it wasn't just Jameis diggng them out of holes, it was the defense figuring out the opposing offense and locking them down. Not today. They were over matched and out classed from the second series on. Laugh, if you will, about Florida State's schedule, but they faced some good offenses (none on the level of Oregon), but this game and this season suggests that the defensive coaching needs to take it up about 6 levels.

You could always just hope Oregon takes it down about 6 levels. That sounds way easier for us.

You could always just hope Oregon takes it down about 6 levels. That sounds way easier for us.

Clemson will at least take it down 3 levels by losing Chad Morris. On the other hand, Louisville will probably pick it up a few more levels in the next couple of years, and Georgia Tech might be on the verge of doing something sustainable. Then again, maybe that's an overreaction because it was only an SEC West team they beat.

Kacar

Wheres the best place to read bammer tears? Asking for a friend.

Also looks like I'l be attending the game, my cousin livres in Dallas and has a box at the stadium.

Bad news though
Only other game I went to this year was the V. Tech game, so congrats Oregon.

Anno

Nice, made some good cash at work. Bet 10 to 1 that Oregon would win by at least 30, have $600 coming my way if people don't chicken shit out. Easiest bet of my life. I don't understand how people thought FSU was a competent football team. I'm not sure we are entirely either, but I know we are more than them.

Piggus

Nice, made some good cash at work. Bet 10 to 1 that Oregon would win by at least 30, have $600 coming my way if people don't chicken shit out. Easiest bet of my life. I don't understand how people thought FSU was a competent football team. I'm not sure we are entirely either, but I know we are more than them.

Haha awesome. Congrats!

Also, the ball HITS the ground perfectly to cause the ref to fall. Like it were a grenade.

In general fumbles and fumble recoveries are more a function of luck than anything. Its one of the most variable year to year statistics in football. So like, if a team wins off a bunch of fumbles that's sort of a lucky win. Mind you, they had to have the skill to capitalize on them but yeah.

I think Oregon wins this game at least 95% of the time if they replay it, I just don't think it is always this big of a blow out.

demolitio

My family's kind of laughing right now because of a douchebag family member who was certain that OSU was going to get blown out by at least 3 touchdowns and ended up betting a good amount of money on the game. It made me believe in karma for a few hours.

The good thing about the playoff is under the BCS we would have had Bama play FSU and Bama would most likely win, then we'll get a year of hearing how the SEC is the best in college football

andycapps

Could yesterday have gone any better? I don't think so. Incredible.

Wheres the best place to read bammer tears? Asking for a friend.

Also looks like I'l be attending the game, my cousin livres in Dallas and has a box at the stadium.

Bad news though
Only other game I went to this year was the V. Tech game, so congrats Oregon.

Probably Roll Bama Roll or Tiger Droppings. Also, Finebaum is a must listen today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom