• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag-my001

Finebaum had better start off with Jim from Tuscaloosa for a massive "told you so". He was railing on the Alabama defense, and Paul and the others kept saying "it was just the first half".

Jarnet87

We beat ourselves is code for "This is all fucking Dalvin's fault".

lol was gonna mention this. Should Jameis come out and say if my team mates didn't suck all night we would have kept it competitive? Oregon's 2nd team offense looked like it could of put up 30 on the Seminoles defense last night. the Jameis fumble looks silly but by that point it was already over. No way in hell were the Noles coming back from 19 points. Oregon did a great job causing two turnovers on a young RB who has had fumbling problems and then ruthlessly converted those turnovers into TDs.

KI5BTYc.gif

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I still think the playoffs should go to 8 and I bet they will. You have 5 spots for your Power 5 conference champs, 2 "wildcard" teams (like TCU and Baylor this year) and one for the best non power 5 team so they have a spot at the table (the Boise St spot). One could argue that only 4 teams are good enough to win the NC, but playoffs are often more about match ups than rankings, so the number 7 team may have the personnel to exploit the weaknesses of number 2. There will never be a 7 year reign of any conference ever again either.

Clemson will at least take it down 3 levels by losing Chad Morris. On the other hand, Louisville will probably pick it up a few more levels in the next couple of years, and Georgia Tech might be on the verge of doing something sustainable. Then again, maybe that's an overreaction because it was only an SEC West team they beat.

I don't know. Under Morris this year we struggled against Wake Forest, Syracuse, and Boston College. If Tony Elliott and Jeff Scott could give our offense a huge night against Oklahoma after that, I wouldn't be too worried.

In unsurprising news, Brent Venables signed a 4-year extension with us, so he's safe.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I still think the playoffs should go to 8 and I bet they will. You have 5 spots for your Power 5 conference champs, 2 "wildcard" teams (like TCU and Baylor this year) and one for the best non power 5 team so they have a spot at the table (the Boise St spot). One could argue that only 4 teams are good enough to win the NC, but playoffs are often more about match ups than rankings, so the number 7 team may have the personnel to exploit the weaknesses of number 2. There will never be a 7 year reign of any conference ever again either.

Should have been 8 from the beginning, but how can you adequately screw over smaller schools if there is 8? I mean, that's the whole point of NCAA football!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't know how any NFL front office exec could watch what happened last night both during and after the game and then say, "Yep, Jameis is our guy!" I just don't see it happening over Mariota.

andycapps

I don't know how any NFL front office exec could watch what happened last night both during and after the game and then say, "Yep, Jameis is our guy!" I just don't see it happening over Mariota.

Personally, I think they were all too busy watching Bryce Petty.

UGA's Michael Bennett tore his ACL again in the bowl game. Seemed like a borderline late draft guy before, and now I don't know. Not the fastest guy ever but the guy is dependable and runs good routes. Rough for him.

Jarnet87

As a Bucs fan I'm really at a cross roads for the National Championship game. Do I want Marcus Mariota to fail miserably so that it raises red flags in his game, or do I want him to play well so it gives me more confidence in the guy if we pick him. Lovie Smith is a man of little offensive intelligence and could be easily influenced by this game.

methane47

I know this is the moment people Pile on, but I cant believe people can in good faith look at the turnovers that occurred and say that it was a whooping.

Oregon was great and FSU would not have won either way, but those 5 Turnovers were all HUGE mistakes on the part of FSU. Not really stunning shows of awesome defense. Note I'm not saying Oregon was playing bad defense in the slightest. Just that i would attribute them more towards not securing the ball properly.

Yes Oregon won, Yes they blew out FSU, but the score really betrays how matched the teams were in terms of talent.

To put things into perspective FSU made 500+ yards on Oregon,
only 12 of which came after the 5th turnover (Point this out to show that the 500 yards weren't pure "garbage time" yardage)
FSU was doing ~7 yards per pass and ~5 yards per Carry.
Put up ~300 yards in the air and ~200 yards on the ground.

The End score REALLY did not give the noles any justice.

Let me say again, Not saying they would have won though, as Oregon was unstoppable, just that it really shouldn't have been the blow out of epic proportions as it was.

Hammer24

Banned
As a Bucs fan I'm really at a cross roads for the National Championship game. Do I want Marcus Mariota to fail miserably so that it raises red flags in his game, or do I want him to play well so it gives me more confidence in the guy if we pick him. Lovie Smith is a man of little offensive intelligence and could be easily influenced by this game.

We should take Mariota and his OC.

Jarnet87

I know this is the moment people Pile on, but I cant believe people can in good faith look at the turnovers that occurred and say that it was a whooping.

Oregon was great and FSU would not have won either way, but those 5 Turnovers were all HUGE mistakes on the part of FSU. Not really stunning shows of awesome defense. Note I'm not saying Oregon was playing bad defense in the slightest. Just that i would attribute them more towards not securing the ball properly.

Yes Oregon won, Yes they blew out FSU, but the score really betrays how matched the teams were in terms of talent.

only 12 of which came after the 5th turnover

Let me say again, Not saying they would have won though, as Oregon was unstoppable, just that it really shouldn't have been the blow out of epic proportions as it was.

I felt like Oregon was going to win before the game, but after that first half I thought my Noles had a great chance to win it. Given everything about the Noles season I expected a quality 2nd half performance, because they had been a second half team all year. Unfortunately it was the opposite and things just kept going downhill.

Chumly

Can you imagine if we didn't have the playoff and it was Alabama against Florida state? Thank god we had the playoff. Now if we could only get 8 teams. I mean we almost had two sec teams in the playoff.

If we're doing a hindsite Alabama should have never been in the playoff to begin with. Their schedule was shit and based off the fraud of sec west.

bachikarn

But turning the ball over is part of the FSU teams DNA. I get thinking they are flukey and wondering what would have happened without them, but pretty sure FSU just turns the ball over a lot. It's why they were down to so many crappy teams throughout the year (like the four INTs thrown against us). The difference tonight is that Oregon was too good to come back from.

bachikarn

No. The last thing I want is the Bucs trying to run that gimmick offense. Have you seen our personnel? somethings need to stay in college. the option and these cockamamie spread offenses are two of them.

Aren't the Eagles one of the best offenses in the NFL (even with Mark Sanchez)? The Patriots rode a coackamamie spread offense to an undefeated regular season. I'm not a huge fan of option stuff either, but you don't really need to have your QB run the ball to run the Oregon offense I believe.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Baylor is so hateable. Poor kid.

BaylorFans.com was glorious yesterday. Some of the angriest Baptists with fire and brimstone signatures you'll ever see.

Briles and Baylor going full WWE villain starting about two or three weeks before the end of the season has been GREAT PR for TCU.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Aren't the Eagles one of the best offenses in the NFL (even with Mark Sanchez)? The Patriots rode a coackamamie spread offense to an undefeated regular season. I'm not a huge fan of option stuff either, but you don't really need to have your QB run the ball to run the Oregon offense I believe.

The NFL won't let you run plays that quick though.

..but in all honesty, other than the hurry up, it's really not all that exotic what they are doing. You see a lot of similar style plays in the NFL these days.

I'm not sure what NFL people are watching where they think this stuff hasn't been bleeding over for years.

KingGondo

Banned
Briles and Baylor going full WWE villain starting about two or three weeks before the end of the season has been GREAT PR for TCU.
Their inevitable downfall will be glorious. It might just take until Briles leaves for it to happen.

They're starting later than normal PAC12 games! Enjoy watching it solo.
Well I'm actually watching it with friends, and I know Best Coast-GAF has my back.

Well, at least the UW fans do. :p

andycapps

The NFL won't let you run plays that quick though.

..but in all honesty, other than the hurry up, it's really not all that exotic what they are doing. You see a lot of similar style plays in the NFL these days.

I'm not sure what NFL people are watching where they think this stuff hasn't been bleeding over for years.

College didn't let you run plays that quickly either until teams kept pushing the envelope and pressuring conference officials to set the ball quicker.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Their inevitable downfall will be glorious. It might just take until Briles leaves for it to happen.

Especially since for now it appears that his son is the heir apparent when he finally retires, and his son is basically the most stereotypical bro'd up frat guy anyone has ever met. This game against Michigan State was a lot of people actually noticed that he wasn't wearing his standard flat billed cap slanted to the side on the sideline.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Wheres the best place to read bammer tears? Asking for a friend.

Also looks like I'l be attending the game, my cousin livres in Dallas and has a box at the stadium.

Bad news though
Only other game I went to this year was the V. Tech game, so congrats Oregon.

I was thinking the same thing. My boy is going to have tickets and he flew me out for my first OSU game earlier this year and it was the Vtech game. I am just leaving Dallas today. Maybe I will save OSU some heart ache and keep my ass in Jersey next Monday.

Hammer24

Banned
No. The last thing I want is the Bucs trying to run that gimmick offense. Have you seen our personnel? somethings need to stay in college. the option and these cockamamie spread offenses are two of them.

Look man, I know you´re a ´noles fan and the loss must hurt - but from a Bucs pov that´d be the best that could happen.
The way this offense spreads the field and thus the defense wide would tremendously help our run game. Of course a lot of the gimmick things wouldn´t work - but the offensive philosophy I do like very much.

Jarnet87

The main thing for me is personnel. What we have in Tampa is a bad offensive line, a mediocre group of running back talent, and a set of receiving weapons that are much better suited for the deep ball then short timed routes. Is Mariota going to be the guy who can drop 7 steps, stand in the pocket and then deliver downfield? Evans and Jackson are far from great route runners IMO and are best used as big target guys who can use their size and jumping ability to make big plays. This isn't an offense that has a bunch of quick/speedy guys who can spread a defense out and cause mismatches in short yardage situations.

KingGondo

Banned
Especially since for now it appears that his son is the heir apparent when he finally retires, and his son is basically the most stereotypical bro'd up frat guy anyone has ever met. This game against Michigan State was a lot of people actually noticed that he wasn't wearing his standard flat billed cap slanted to the side on the sideline.
Kliff 2.0?

Stuff like yesterday is why I was so firmly convinced that TCU was superior to Baylor. Baylor's dangerous, but they're too inconsistent and don't appear to have that killer instict to steal the hope of the opposition. Did you see Petty's quote too?

"Y'all can't stand us anyways, so I'm sure there will be plenty of things said about us," Petty said. "It sucks not to finish and again, that's on the players not the coaches. As far as the national scale, believe it or not, whether y'all like it or not, Baylor's going to be in the top."
They really are like WWE villains.

Today's Tyron Johnson's announcement, btw. I'd wish you luck, but I wouldn't mean it. :)

I know everybody here hates Colin Cowherd, but he had a hell of a quote this morning.

"Congratulations playoff guy, you got what you wanted, which is two teams that don't deserve it and nobody is going to watch fighting over the National Championship".

only 12 of which came after the 5th turnover (Point this out to show that the 500 yards weren't pure "garbage time" yardage)

Except that a really bad Florida team also got five turnovers from FSU. If UF had a halfway competent offense they could've managed to beat FSU by more than a touchdown too. The Noles already had experience recovering from all those turnovers, psychologically.

I don't really understand these. We have the largest fan base in the country. It's really Ohio State against espn.

People forget 2006 and earlier when ESPN treated the big ten like they treat the SEC now. ESPN just picks the hot hand and goes for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom