• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Briles and Baylor going full WWE villain starting about two or three weeks before the end of the season has been GREAT PR for TCU.

They are some of the most arrogant SOBs I've ever come across.

As for the Big 10, do you deny it has been horrible since 2008 or so, Draxal? Now things are certainly looking up with the events of this bowl season and with some of these coaching moves.

Draxal

They are some of the most arrogant SOBs I've ever come across.

As for the Big 10, do you deny it has been horrible since 2008 or so, Draxal? Now things are certainly looking up with the events of this bowl season and with some of these coaching moves.

1. I'm trolling.

2. tOSU is not your typical Big Ten old/slow team and everybody saying that they are that type of team hasn't seen them play this year, this tOSU team murdered MSU (whose only losses are to Oregon and tOSU) and Wiscy (who beat Auburn and should have beat LSU at their home).

Jarnet87

Except that a really bad Florida team also got five turnovers from FSU. If UF had a halfway competent offense they could've managed to beat FSU by more than a touchdown too. The Noles already had experience recovering from all those turnovers, psychologically.

People forget 2006 and earlier when ESPN treated the big ten like they treat the SEC now. ESPN just picks the hot hand and goes for it.

Oregon's offense is a cut above the teams FSU played this year but there were games that FSU should have lost. Miami, NC State, BC to name a few. If those teams had just gone for jugular on offense we'd have lost at least 2 games. I thought FSU was going to lose at least 1 game and that they needed it. They sleepwalked their way to the playoffs.

I know everybody here hates Colin Cowherd, but he had a hell of a quote this morning.

"Congratulations playoff guy, you got what you wanted, which is two teams that don't deserve it and nobody is going to watch fighting over the National Championship".

Fuck that guy. Bet it has the highest ratings of any championship game.

Yeah, Sparty has nothing to be disappointed about this season.

Their only two losses are to the teams in the national championship game.

Damn great season, Sparty. Good luck, Harbaugh.

Bowser

I know everybody here hates Colin Cowherd, but he had a hell of a quote this morning.

"Congratulations playoff guy, you got what you wanted, which is two teams that don't deserve it and nobody is going to watch fighting over the National Championship".

Doc-Rivers.gif

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Kliff 2.0?
Kliff is actually a lot more low key in person than he appears to the outside world, I think. He was always VERY even keel when I knew him in college.

Kendall Briles is the opposite. He has to tone himself way down for the public but he still comes off as a huge bro.
Stuff like yesterday is why I was so firmly convinced that TCU was superior to Baylor. Baylor's dangerous, but they're too inconsistent and don't appear to have that killer instict to steal the hope of the opposition. Did you see Petty's quote too?
I thought TCU was better than Baylor, don't get me wrong, but I also think the results on the field should have mattered and Baylor mathematically won the conference. Didn't see Petty's quote.

Today's Tyron Johnson's announcement, btw. I'd wish you luck, but I wouldn't mean it. :)

Even if he announces for us today it I honestly will almost feel like nothing happened. I'll get a little excited, sure, but it's a long way until signing day and he hasn't even officially visited LSU or Oklahoma State yet.

It will definitely hurt if he ends up with Oklahoma State on signing day and we also lose Strickland to UCLA as has been rumored (his official there is coming up in a couple of weeks, I think).

Hammer24

Banned
The main thing for me is personnel. What we have in Tampa is a bad offensive line,

Our dudes can´t hold a pocket for longer then 2 secs before it collapses. An uptempo offense would actually help them.

a mediocre group of running back talent,

Which still get the job done, if they get a chance to make it to the second level. The way Scott Frost spreads the D thin, they´d greatly flourish, I think especially Sims.

and a set of receiving weapons that are much better suited for the deep ball then short timed routes.

They´d still be able to catch a slant or something uptempo simple as that.

Is Mariota going to be the guy who can drop 7 steps, stand in the pocket and then deliver downfield?

No, and I think he never will. Every team that drafts him and tries to use him that way will burn another great talent for naught.

Balphon

I just don't like the late start. The super bowl starts at 6 for a reason. Move it up to 7:30 in the future please.

The later start is largely necessitated by the fact that the game is on a Monday. Which is itself a stupid thing, but there you go.

Wonder how they're going to schedule the Rose Bowl when it's not one of the two playoff semis.

You can't exactly start the Rose Bowl at 12 EST.

I think this was sarcasm right?

ag-my001

Wonder how they're going to schedule the Rose Bowl when it's not one of the two playoff semis.

I was wondering that myself. We technically had two "2014 Fiesta Bowls" because they switched to NYE, but I don't think that the Rose Bowl committee, the only one able to keep the game name before the corporate sponsor, would agree to ever move away from Jan. 1.

andycapps

Candidates for UGA offensive coordinator/QB coach job currently being mentioned by "sources close to the program" are Kurt Roper, Brian Schottenheimer (St Louis Rams offensive coordinator), and Randy Sanders (FSU co-offensive coordinator, Tennessee coordinator when they won title with Fulmer). Tight ends coach John Lilly could also be promoted to offensive coordinator (but has never coached QB's that I'm aware of).

Offensive line coach candidates are Greg Adkins (coached at UGA with Donnan and currently with Buffalo Bills), Neil Calloway (coached OL and was offensive coordinator at UGA for first 5 years with Richt), and Shawn Elliott (South Carolina OL coach). Other option here is to promote Dan Inman (former UGA OL, and just a nasty dude) from graduate assistant.

Sounds like these hires will happen very quickly, maybe before next week.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

It was sarcasm.

He's a Pac-12 guy. Last night he was blasting the SEC on Twitter.

DopeToast

Banned

During the two years out of the three year rotation when the Rose bowl is not hosting a semifinal game, the semifinal games will be on New Years Eve instead of New Years Day. They've got the schedule here.

The Rose will still be the same time every NYD, so it will sometimes be played after the playoff games. Same with the Sugar Bowl.

During the two years out of the three year rotation when the Rose bowl is not hosting a semifinal game, the semifinal games will be on New Years Eve instead of New Years Day. They've got the schedule here.

The Rose will still be the same time every NYD, so it will sometimes be played after the playoff games. Same with the Sugar Bowl.

Gotcha. Figured it was probably already squared away, but I couldn't recall the exact details.

That's actually going to be awesome, having those semi games on New Year's Eve.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
College didn't let you run plays that quickly either until teams kept pushing the envelope and pressuring conference officials to set the ball quicker.

The NFL isn't about to adopt that anytime soon, too many owners would be dead set against it. I'd like to see an uptempo NFL game.. it'd be funny watching all those defensive penalties from guys celebrating too long in the backfield and the balls snapped. That shit would be hilarious.

The main thing for me is personnel. What we have in Tampa is a bad offensive line, a mediocre group of running back talent, and a set of receiving weapons that are much better suited for the deep ball then short timed routes. Is Mariota going to be the guy who can drop 7 steps, stand in the pocket and then deliver downfield? Evans and Jackson are far from great route runners IMO and are best used as big target guys who can use their size and jumping ability to make big plays. This isn't an offense that has a bunch of quick/speedy guys who can spread a defense out and cause mismatches in short yardage situations.

Well, the idea of a 7 step drop is almost dead as is.. very few NFL lines can hold the pocket long enough to make that happen. You are already seeing a lot of quicker drops and quicker routes.

So, are we all in agreement that TCU was one of the 4 best teams in the country now?

Yes, but the team the deserved a spot over was undefeated.. so it was hard to make a fair argument for them to go in over FSU. They were clearly better than FSU.

I think TCU has the talent and system to beat all the teams in the playoffs.. I'd favor them over both OSU and Oregon.

It was sarcasm.

He's a Pac-12 guy. Last night he was blasting the SEC on Twitter.

Colin got his start on radio in Portland, OR. He is a Pac-12 guy.

ag-my001

So, are we all in agreement that TCU was one of the 4 best teams in the country now?
Before the semi-finals, I would have put it:
1. Bama
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. FSU
5. OSU

Now I'd say:
1. Oregon
2. TCU
3. OSU
4. Bama
14. FSU

Incredible shame TCU got left out. Them against Oregon would have been epic.

Hopefully the TCU/Baylor (lol) controversy was enough to get the field expanded to eight relatively quickly.

Just because the four-team field wasn't a complete disaster doesn't mean they should stick with it forever.

Subitai

Don't know if this was already brought up in the thread, Cowherd pointed out that Urban said he made sure everyone knew Wisconsin beat Auburn earlier in the day.

Given how many players come back for both teams, TCU and tOSU are probably favored at the beginning of next season.

bachikarn

nah they fought against an OSU/Michigan rematch though, unlike a certain title game 5 years later...

No way. Herbstreit in particular lobbied hard for Michigan to be in the NC. EVERYONE thought OSU was going to curb stomp UF. ESPN only got off the Big 10s nuts in 2007 when OSU lost in the NC again, and the rest of the Big 10 was a disappointment.

I mean, you know the Big 10 is down when Zook makes the Rose Bowl (also lol at Illinois firing him. Like they are in any better shape).

andycapps

But Baylor beat them

Beat them by 3 at home. I actually thought the same thing prior to the bowl games being played, but TCU played really well on defense in their game. Baylor didn't impress on defense, though their offense is stellar.

I'm just saying now of how I think things shake out now, not what it should have been. The top 4 was correct going on the information they had at the time. So far if I could rank teams it would go 1) Oregon 2) OSU 3) TCU and so on.

The main thing for me is personnel. What we have in Tampa is a bad offensive line, a mediocre group of running back talent, and a set of receiving weapons that are much better suited for the deep ball then short timed routes. Is Mariota going to be the guy who can drop 7 steps, stand in the pocket and then deliver downfield? Evans and Jackson are far from great route runners IMO and are best used as big target guys who can use their size and jumping ability to make big plays. This isn't an offense that has a bunch of quick/speedy guys who can spread a defense out and cause mismatches in short yardage situations.

If a team is stupid enough to try and make Mariota a 7 step drop guy then we will be witnessing bad Michael Vick or bad Kapernick all over again. And I actually think Mariota is a better pure passer than either of them at this same point in their careers.

I don't think you have to go full spread either. You could do something like the Seahawks do with Russell Wilson and that would be okay. They have a bad pass blocking offensive line and don't throw deep that often.

ag-my001

Why TCU over Baylor?
Yes, Baylor won, but when it comes down to a last second FG, I consider it about even. TCU looked better overall.

I put them above OSU after all these games because they impressed me more. I think the real takeaway was that maybe OSU belonged the whole time and undefeated FSU needed the Marshall treatment: "yes, but who did you beat?"

Congrats to tOSU - sure as hell impressed me with their big play ability (Devin Smith is a monster) and the way they forced Alabama's offense into making crucial mistakes!

I called it before the game that tOSU had a great chance to take on 'Bama - I've always felt like Oregon had the easier draw by staying 2nd.

Congrats to Bucknuticus, and BertramCooper and all other tOSU fans ITT. I have doubted this team for a while, but they proved they deserved to make the playoffs. I stand corrected.

On to the CFB NCG...

Yes, Baylor won, but when it comes down to a last second FG, I consider it about even. TCU looked better overall.

I put them above OSU after all these games because they impressed me more. I think the real takeaway was that maybe OSU belonged the whole time and undefeated FSU needed the Marshall treatment: "yes, but who did you beat?"

TCU dominated most of the game, and let a 20 point lead vanish, but that PI call against them at the end (which set up the winning FG) was terrible.

Jarnet87

If a team is stupid enough to try and make Mariota a 7 step drop guy then we will be witnessing bad Michael Vick or bad Kapernick all over again. And I actually think Mariota is a better pure passer than either of them at this same point in their careers.

I don't think you have to go full spread either. You could do something like the Seahawks do with Russell Wilson and that would be okay. They have a bad pass blocking offensive line and don't throw deep that often.

Wilson at least to this point has shown he has solid decision making skills and can make plays. It helps he has Marshawn and a really great D but he deserves a lot of credit too. Tampa can't run or pass block. Mariota is going to have to convert his game. Yes not everything has to be 7 step drops and deep passes but it is something all the top QBs in the league can do and have to do at times. There are lots of things coaches can do to help a QB out like screens, check downs, short passes etc. Mariota is a lot better prospect then Geno Smith, but Smith was a guy who was in a system with a lot screens and short routes. We've seen most of the time he just doesn't have the skillset and decision making to be a good NFL QB. Every year we see guys with the physical tools to make it in the NFL, it's the mental side that lets them down.

The NFL isn't about to adopt that anytime soon, too many owners would be dead set against it. I'd like to see an uptempo NFL game.. it'd be funny watching all those defensive penalties from guys celebrating too long in the backfield and the balls snapped. That shit would be hilarious.

Have you seen the Eagles play? I mean, on MNF they actually had a "time between plays" timer just for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom