• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
10888845_857054017666671_7632191179979347359_n-610x679.jpg

Can only speak for myself when I say I sure didn't feel that way. The first half wasn't any better than the second, Tide managed a whopping one drive and the defense wasn't stopping OSU's offense. OSU stops mucking it up, bam, 21 unanswered points.

Can't win on hope. Hope for mistakes, hope to capitalize on them. Those early turnovers leading to short field TDs were the only things that had Bama in the game at all. OSU was clearly the better team on the field for all 60 minutes.

jjasper

Hopefully the TCU/Baylor (lol) controversy was enough to get the field expanded to eight relatively quickly.

Just because the four-team field wasn't a complete disaster doesn't mean they should stick with it forever.
They will expand it probably a lot faster than first anticipated. The ratings for the two playoff games were higher than the last few championship games while the other New Years six ratings/attendence were worse (even the orange bowl apparently which I don't see how that is possible). They will try to get all the bowls on equal footing so they can get the money.

Congrats to tOSU - sure as hell impressed me with their big play ability (Devin Smith is a monster) and the way they forced Alabama's offense into making crucial mistakes!

I called it before the game that tOSU had a great chance to take on 'Bama - I've always felt like Oregon had the easier draw by staying 2nd.

Congrats to Bucknuticus, and BertramCooper and all other tOSU fans ITT. I have doubted this team for a while, but they proved they deserved to make the playoffs. I stand corrected.

On to the CFB NCG...

Thanks for being a good sport while I was taunting you relentlessly.

Piggus

We have five tickets locked in at face value but still don't know what that face value is. I hope I can afford to eat this month.

#starvin4ducks

Balphon

btw, I hope everybody's been calling out the Oregon players doing the "No means no" chants on this:

http://thebiglead.com/2014/05/05/or...h-team-following-forcible-rape-investigation/

All of those players were dismissed from the team. And if you want to open up a can of worms, none of them were charged with anything either.

The chant was an incredibly stupid thing to do. Making light of sexual assault is inexcusable. The players will be disciplined. What more do you want?

Draxal

Looking at the overnight ratings (they were insane).

Playoffs are getting expanded.

And I'll be real I'll prefer that over 6-6 teams getting into bowl games.

FyreWulff

We're either going to a bigger playoff, or if the 4 team format stays, we're heading faster towards 4 superconferences that all send their champion to the playoffs, so basically an 8 team playoff where the first round is each superconference's championship game.

While I don't think the Oregon players should have turned such a serious issue into a taunt and am glad that the coaching staff isn't just letting it slide... the three players discussed in your link were all kicked off the team and barred from campus. Not sure what you want to call Oregon out on here.
I'll call them out for being awesome and sticking to principle.

methane47

Except that a really bad Florida team also got five turnovers from FSU. If UF had a halfway competent offense they could've managed to beat FSU by more than a touchdown too. The Noles already had experience recovering from all those turnovers, psychologically.

If you go back and look at the UF game, you will see that those Turnovers were in my mind, worth more than the fluke shot TO's in the Rosebowl.

Many of the INTs were from Jumping routes, reading Jameis eyes. UF even blocked a punt.

Who can possibly say that a pass that was caught bobbled and then dropped into the safety's hands can be attributed more to a whooping, than pure luck.(or lack thereof)

And even so, like I said, i didn't think FSU would win, but without those crazy TO's Oregon would not have had 5 straight short fields.

FSU should have had more points, Oregon should have had less.
Oregon would have still won.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
They will expand it probably a lot faster than first anticipated. The ratings for the two playoff games were higher than the last few championship games while the other New Years six ratings/attendence were worse (even the orange bowl apparently which I don't see how that is possible). They will try to get all the bowls on equal footing so they can get the money.

So the flipside to the playoff success is emphasizing the other bowls don't really matter...which they never really did. People that love bragging about how important the CFB regular season is won't talk about how worthless the post season is

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So the flipside to the playoff success is emphasizing the other bowls don't really matter...which they never really did. People that love bragging about how important the CFB regular season is won't talk about how worthless the post season is

I'm not sure "value" of the post season matters. It's probably beneficial for recruiting, but the general idea is just to reward teams for their season, and for fans it provides some (hopefully) good matchups you might not get to see otherwise.

MIMIC

Banned
Before the semi-finals, I would have put it:
1. Bama
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. FSU
5. OSU

Now I'd say:
1. Oregon
2. TCU
3. OSU
4. Bama
14. FSU

Incredible shame TCU got left out. Them against Oregon would have been epic.

Is this how you WOULD have ranked the teams before the semi-finals or how your rankings stand TODAY with all things considered (the actual rankings leading up to the semi-finals, how the game unfolded, etc).

Anyway, here's how I would rank the teams after the semi-finals (basically, post-season rankings):

1-2: Ohio State/Oregon - Right now, either team has a rightful claim to the No. 1 spot.
3. TCU - Proved that they're a legitimate top 4 team after dismantling Ole Miss (who, at the time, was the only team that could take down Alabama)
4. Alabama - Did well until they ran into the underrated Ohio State.
5. Michigan State - Their only losses were to the two teams playing for the national championship, which demonstrates that arguably, they had the best losses of any team in the country. Additionally, their comeback win against No. 6 Baylor was ultra impressive
6. Florida State - Even though they lost badly to No. 2 Oregon, they were still undefeated, so you can't take that away from them. Not to mention that their only loss came to an No. 2 team. So even though the actual loss was bad, it came at the hands of a really good team.
7. Georgia Tech - Awesome win against No. 7 Mississippi State
8. Baylor - Arguably let their win slip away. Nonetheless, it was against a really good Michigan State
9. Georgia - Good win against No. 22 Louisville (although I didn't see it)
10. Mississippi State - Takes a tumble in the rankings after their slip up to Georgia Tech

(If Kansas State wins today, I'd put them at No. 10)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
3. TCU - Proved that they're a legitimate top 4 team after dismantling Ole Miss (who, at the time, was the only team that could take down Alabama)

I don't think that game really proved much of anything. Ole Miss hasn't been good since their offense broke his leg, they are 2-3 since then. (And even with Treadwell, their offense wasn't that good).

I agree TCU is one of the best in the country though, I just disagree that game was "proof."

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm not sure "value" of the post season matters. It's probably beneficial for recruiting, but the general idea is just to reward teams for their season, and for fans it provides some (hopefully) good matchups you might not get to see otherwise.

Sure, thats as close as Duke football is going to get for a while so I understand. But if the bowls not affiliated with the playoffs really start to wane in viewership because they really don't matter....I wonder if that is a true problem, or if they can coexist. I hope they can

@JeffFromOhio 2h2 hours ago
OSU has defeated 5 of the top 13 defenses in the NCAA, scoring an average of 44.6 points against them.

Oregon's defense is ranked 84th.

Given how small a school TCU is, you gotta give major props to them for being able to recruit such a great team. I mean, there's no logic as to how they could be this much better than a school like UT.

Gary Patterson is a fucking great coach

Piggus

@JeffFromOhio 2h2 hours ago
OSU has defeated 5 of the top 13 defenses in the NCAA, scoring an average of 44.6 points against them.

Oregon's defense is ranked 84th.

And your point is?

You might want to take a look at our average margin of victory. Our defenses give up about the same amount of points, but our offense has obliterated every defense we've played since our one loss. And we've played some pretty good defenses.

If your defense is so amazing compared to ours, how did we hold Michigan state to significantly few points? The yards we give up really don't tell the whole story. You also lost to a mediocre VT and nearly lost to a mediocre Pennis State.

ag-my001

Is this how you WOULD have ranked the teams before the semi-finals or how your rankings stand TODAY with all things considered (the actual rankings leading up to the semi-finals, how the game unfolded, etc).
The second set is how I would rank them right now having seen them all play in their bowl games. I realize that Ole Miss was not the vaunted team they were made out to be earlier in the season. I also don't think Ohio State is some amazing team just for being able to move the ball against Alabama's secondary, which has been their weak spot all season. If TCU were scheduled to play OSU right now, I'd pick TCU. That's why I would rank them higher.

And your point is?

You might want to take a look at our average margin of victory. Our defenses give up about the same amount of points, but our offense has obliterated every defense we've played since our one loss. And we've played some pretty good defenses.

Theres no point, just a stat

anyways its paaaaaaaaaaaaaaawl time

jbug617

Banned
Don't know if he will go back to college but there is speculation out there that Chip Kelly is trying to get out of his contract with the Eagles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom