• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sad because I picked Pitt in the Pick 'Em but kind of happy because the interim HC at Houston may be our next DC.

@JeffFromOhio 2h2 hours ago
OSU has defeated 5 of the top 13 defenses in the NCAA, scoring an average of 44.6 points against them.

Oregon's defense is ranked 84th.

This is kind of misleading though. They're going by total defense, which only ranks teams by yards allowed. Oregon is 28th in scoring defense, so they give up a lot of yards but not a lot of points.

Ohio State is 27th in scoring defense and they've only played 4 of the 26 teams ahead of them (Michigan State, Alabama, Wisconsin, Virginia Tech).

If you go by a more advanced metric, Football Outsiders S&P+ for example, Oregon has the 12th best defense. S&P+ is a better metric than total defense because it attempts to contextualize yards and success rate, so it throws out garbage time yards. FWIWI Ohio State has played 3 of the top 10 teams in this metric (Virginia Tech, Alabama, Michigan State).

I think the safe thing to say here, is the Ohio State offense is better than people think and the Oregon defense is better than people think.

Pitt is the one ACC* team I didn't pick, because I always went against teams with interim coaches. It worked out every time, I think, except with Wisconsin.

*Well, I think I also picked Rutgers over North Carolina out of spite.
*Come to think of it, I think I picked South Carolina over Miami. Same reason.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Ha, I think that Houston DB forgot it was 4th down. Looked upset for a second when the ball hit the ground instead of him being able to pick it.

andycapps

Fyi: Phyllis from Mulga is up next after the break on Finebaum.

Oh dis gon be gud.

Limedust said:
Bama-GAF: Good write-up of post-game thoughs on the team moving forward.

Not Bama GAF but it's a decent write up. I really do think that Saban is going to have some talks this offseason with Kiffin about passing the ball when there is no need. When you're behind by one score and you get a gift almost on the opponents 20 yard line, you run the ball. Hand the ball to Derrick Henry. Hell, why didn't he get the ball more? Every time he got it, seemed like something good happened.

Oh Finebaum is salty, congratulating the Auburn fan on the runner up finish to Wisconsin.

Oh dis gon be gud.

Not Bama GAF but it's a decent write up. I really do think that Saban is going to have some talks this offseason with Kiffin about passing the ball when there is no need. When you're behind by one score and you get a gift almost on the opponents 20 yard line, you run the ball. Hand the ball to Derrick Henry. Hell, why didn't he get the ball more? Every time he got it, seemed like something good happened.

Oh Finebaum is salty, congratulating the Auburn fan on the runner up finish to Wisconsin.

I used to like Finebaum but I dont know wbo he pulls for half the time. Now he's just rubbing it in the SECs face when I thought he was all for it.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Coogs! :D what a comeback

andycapps

I used to like Finebaum but I dont know wbo he pulls for half the time. Now he's just rubbing it in the SECs face when I thought he was all for it.

Oh he's definitely a Bama fan. Though he graduated from Tennessee.

That last caller, the tOSU fan, that's the reason the rest of the country hates you.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Wilson at least to this point has shown he has solid decision making skills and can make plays. It helps he has Marshawn and a really great D but he deserves a lot of credit too. Tampa can't run or pass block. Mariota is going to have to convert his game. Yes not everything has to be 7 step drops and deep passes but it is something all the top QBs in the league can do and have to do at times. There are lots of things coaches can do to help a QB out like screens, check downs, short passes etc. Mariota is a lot better prospect then Geno Smith, but Smith was a guy who was in a system with a lot screens and short routes. We've seen most of the time he just doesn't have the skillset and decision making to be a good NFL QB. Every year we see guys with the physical tools to make it in the NFL, it's the mental side that lets them down.

What have you seen from Mariota that makes you think he couldn't do a 7 step drop? Honest question.

I've watched a lot of him, last year I would have agreed.. he wasn't ready.. this year he came back twice as good.

It's not just that he's tall and fast with a good arm.. he's tall and fast with a good arm and a great eye for the field. He cycles through progressions with amazing speed... you don't see him lock down on a receiver.. you don't see a lot of forced throws.. you don't see a lot of missed throws. He's one of the most efficient QB's I've seen ever in college ranks.

Because he's not loud and animated? I think he has all the intangibles of a Russell Wilson, but he's taller, faster and has a better arm.

I'm honestly curious in why people say he can't translate over.. have you honestly watched the kid play the game?

People want to compare him to Cam or Kap.. but he's a better college QB than either of them were.. and he's not a douche nozzle on top of it.

If a NFL team wants to adapt to his skillset he'll succeed. If someone wants to run a conservative offense with him behind center taking 5 or 7 step drops.. he'll do as well as whoever else they had doing the same thing and failing. A QB won't make receivers open or make a O-Line block worth a shit.. which is pretty much the problems all the worst teams have.
Have you seen the Eagles play? I mean, on MNF they actually had a "time between plays" timer just for them.

Still no where near college speed.

ag-my001

He's still very pro SEC, as evidenced by his halftime remarks last night. He's just willing to admit the SEC did not look good in this year's bowl season.

andycapps

He's still very pro SEC, as evidenced by his halftime remarks last night. He's just willing to admit the SEC did not look good in this year's bowl season.

The SEC west didn't look good, you mean. Wasn't as good as most people thought they were, I was always of the opinion that it was overrated.

Sorry Enron, UGA's AD just sent out an email to donors that they're working on an extension for Richt right now, the indoor practice field, and improvements to the football facilities.

HeySeuss

MYT2RJp.png

Welp. That's the swagger dagger for us. Ducks gonna roll now.

andycapps

He is basically a huge troll. Doesn't really have a team just trolls whoever is down/lost a big game.

This is true, he is a radio host. He's looking to stir up controversy like they all are.

jjasper said:
Iowa is having a hard time tackling Hurd.

Hurd is going to be a great back. If he could just get a little lower when he runs he'd be even better.

SEC BEast yall

Lubricus

Per ESPN:
"Georgia athletics director Greg McGarity told supporters in an email Friday that the Bulldogs are working on a contract extension for longtime coach Mark Richt.
Richt has three years left on a contract that pays him $3.2 million annually and runs through the 2017 season. He is the seventh-highest-paid coach in the SEC. The school would owe Richt $800,000 per year if he was dismissed before the end of the contract.

The 54-year-old Richt has been among the winningest coaches in college football since 2001. His .739 winning percentage (136-48 record) ranks fourth among active FBS coaches who have coached at least 100 games in FBS conferences, trailing only Ohio State's Urban Meyer (.844), Oklahoma's Bob Stoops (.792) and Alabama's Nick Saban (.746)."

Why not wait another 2 years? They are so eager to keep him and the fan base is growing weary of him.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Yeldon and Henry only rushed 23 times combined.

Henry should have run it more than 23 times alone. He averaged over 7 yards a carry.

andycapps

Per ESPN:
"Georgia athletics director Greg McGarity told supporters in an email Friday that the Bulldogs are working on a contract extension for longtime coach Mark Richt.
Richt has three years left on a contract that pays him $3.2 million annually and runs through the 2017 season. He is the seventh-highest-paid coach in the SEC. The school would owe Richt $800,000 per year if he was dismissed before the end of the contract.

The 54-year-old Richt has been among the winningest coaches in college football since 2001. His .739 winning percentage (136-48 record) ranks fourth among active FBS coaches who have coached at least 100 games in FBS conferences, trailing only Ohio State's Urban Meyer (.844), Oklahoma's Bob Stoops (.792) and Alabama's Nick Saban (.746)."

Why not wait another 2 years? They are so eager to keep him and the fan base is growing weary of him.

I hardly know anybody that is growing weary of him. I've laid out my reasons in the past here, don't feel like doing it again. TLDR version is that statistically he's the best coach we've ever had. Odds are that whoever we would get to replace him would be a downgrade, home run hires are rare unless Mcgarity opened the endless coffers at the Butts-Mehre building (which is doubtful).

I think what is more important is that we need to up the amount of the support staff that we have in the program. Give the coaches more time to coach.

Yeldon and Henry only rushed 23 times combined. Henry should have run it more than 23 times alone. He averaged over 7 yards a carry. [/quote said:
Exactly. Georgia fans loved to complain about Bobo for playcalling that made no sense, but that shit made no sense whatsoever. Actually, the complaint I would have for that is what I did have for Bobo a few years ago, he was getting too cute for his own good and changing what was working just for the sake of change.

Per ESPN:

Coaches usually don't get to the last year of their contract. Either the school or the coach makes a different move before then.

It sounds like Georgia's buyout isn't particularly expensive, so they're not doing much harm to themselves to extend him, they can still get out of it if things head south.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom