• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarnet87

Obviously we'll never see it again now that the playoffs are here. I whined a lot about the SEC getting auto-ins to games against overmatched opponents in a decent portion of that string of wins, and hey, they did win the games... but if we hadn't had a playoff this year, we would've seen Bama crush FSU for yet another "OMG SEC is amazing" title game victory.

FSU would have matched up much better with Alabama. I was hoping TCU would stay at the 3 spot and FSU at 4 on that final ranking. Now obviously after that Rose Bowl performance from FSU it's likely Alabama would have beat them, but ya never know.

andycapps

Hey so seriously, outside of Bama's run under Saban and Meyer's stint with Florida, can anyone honestly explain to me exactly what was so fab about the SEC during this cute little run that is now clearly over?
The string of championships in a row is over, that doesn't mean an SEC team couldn't win next year.

I don't know, is buck posting something here, I don't know, he's on ignore.

It was enjoyable to see the group of 10-15 first timers pop in just to say "Suck it Alabama". It'd had been a year since I saw them, and I was getting worried about them. They might have caught that Ebola that everyone worried about.

Suck it Alabama!

I don't know, is buck posting something here, I don't know, he's on ignore.

It was enjoyable to see the group of 10-15 first timers pop in just to say "Suck it Alabama". It'd had been a year since I saw them, and I was getting worried about them. They might have caught that Ebola that everyone worried about.

Most were complete unknowns, but if you OSUn guys want to claim them, go right ahead :p

Whining about drive-by posters is very NBA-GAF of you.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Wasn't hours losing one of his eyes due to cancer? I thought it was in remission, but that really sucks how fast it can come take you. :(

Limedust

It was a hell of a surprising run for us, and I still can't believe Sims took us as far as he did. Going into this year, not many Bama fans really thought this could be the year, due to all of the turnovers and question marks at key positions.

In retrospect, Alabama overacheived when you consider that only the D-line consistently dominated throughout the year.

george_us

I think that was 2011.
That was a hell of a run by LSU that year. Ripped through a brutal OOC schedule and a pretty loaded SEC conference without much trouble save for the Alabama game. I was rooting for them in that farce of a rematch.

jjasper

That was a hell of a run by LSU that year. Ripped through a brutal OOC schedule and a pretty loaded SEC conference without much trouble save for the Alabama game. I was rooted for them in that farce of a rematch.
Yeah but that farce is what killed the BCS so it was a necessary evil.

Nialrot

UCF DB coach Kirk Callahan is heading to the Gators in the same capacity. A lot of questions going into the new year for UCF.

Looking for a new DC, DB and possibly OC if the rumors of Charlie Taafe retiring sometime this year are true.

JCX

Remember that time the SEC had 2 teams in a national championship. Wish we had a 4 team playoff back then

It is kind of interesting wondering "what if", even though we'll never know. People will probably think the same about this year and TCU once the playoff expands to 8 teams down the line. It does tell us that the media puts too much stock in their own narratives.

Why do we have to wait a week for this damn game?

Because it's football and you always have to wait a week for the next game?

But anyways, I do wish that the game were on Saturday night instead of Monday night. Really fucks up the work week, having it on Monday. I've already decided that I'm taking vacation time next Tuesday. Full day if we win, half day if we lose.

Sotha_Sil

UCF DB coach Kirk Callahan is heading to the Gators in the same capacity. A lot of questions going into the new year for UCF.

Looking for a new DC, DB and possibly OC if the rumors of Charlie Taafe retiring sometime this year are true.

Not to mention only Jacoby Glenn returning in the secondary. Holman better step it up from what I saw in the bowl game. We got several good recruits for those positions last year, hopefully they can quickly fill in the gaps.

That was a hell of a run by LSU that year. Ripped through a brutal OOC schedule and a pretty loaded SEC conference without much trouble save for the Alabama game. I was rooting for them in that farce of a rematch.

Definitely a contender for the best regular season ever with wins over:

12-1 Alabama, BCS National Champs
12-2 Oregon, PAC and Rose Bowl Champs
11-2 Arkansas, Cotton Bowl Champs
10-3 West Virginia, Big East and Orange Bowl Champs
10-4 Georgia, losers of some random bowl

God damn Okie St had to go and ruin everything.

HeySeuss

Because it's football and you always have to wait a week for the next game?

But anyways, I do wish that the game were on Saturday night instead of Monday night. Really fucks up the work week, having it on Monday. I've already decided that I'm taking vacation time next Tuesday. Full day if we win, half day if we lose.

Yeah I agree. I'm not sure about letting my kid stay up and watch it because it's a school night. I was wrecked all week at work.

College football is for Saturdays.

I got 3 hours of sleep following the Bama game and was running off pure adrenaline at work the next day. Ive already scheduled the Tuesday after off.

It is kind of interesting wondering "what if", even though we'll never know. People will probably think the same about this year and TCU once the playoff expands to 8 teams down the line. It does tell us that the media puts too much stock in their own narratives.

Yep, we need an 8 team playoff pronto. I don't think there is any year where we could say more than 8 teams were championship contenders. This year, we had 6, but only 4 had a shot in the playoffs. One team left out was exposed (Baylor), but TCU finished the season with one road loss to a top 10 team by 3 points, and a blow out of #9 Ole Miss. I hate to say it, but this year we're still in MNC territory. Having an 8 team playoff will certainly eliminate the MNC for good.

HeySeuss

Were the ratings for the semis ever mentioned? They were the two most-watched cable TV broadcasts in history:

Sugar Bowl: 28.3 million viewers (15.2)
Rose Bowl: 28.2 million viewers (14.8)

http://deadline.com/2015/01/college-football-playoff-ratings-espn-1201339700/

The article I read the day after the bowls said the Rose bowl got a better rating. Was close though like 15.3 to 15.2. I wonder if that was just an estimate though. No clue how long it takes for ratings to come in. Still pretty cool and definitely will open the doors for more teams. I think 6 is plenty and 8 is too many. Could end up with a 17 game season and that's just too many.

andycapps

Is it too late for me to say suck it Bama? Suck it Bama!

I'd be cool with 8 playoff games. You better believe that ESPN is going to push that hard now that they saw those ratings. And now they're going to double down in the offseason on the "SEC dynasty" being over. Doesn't really matter to me, but teams like Bama and others that lost are going to be punished in preseason polls next year, which shouldn't matter, but evidently do.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is it too late for me to say suck it Bama? Suck it Bama!

I'd be cool with 8 playoff games. You better believe that ESPN is going to push that hard now that they saw those ratings. And now they're going to double down in the offseason on the "SEC dynasty" being over. Doesn't really matter to me, but teams like Bama and others that lost are going to be punished in preseason polls next year, which shouldn't matter, but evidently do.

Bama isn't winning anything next year anyway. Then again, after this year, I guess anything is possible.

Not even sure who will be good in the SEC at all next year. Maybe Georgia? And...?

Draxal

It's incredible that it took so long to get a playoff when it was so goddamned obvious that it was going to be a massive success.

Expand it to eight, and boom, we're done.

I'm back to against 8 and Meyer explained it perfectly, it's just too much on the kids.

Bama isn't winning anything next year anyway. Then again, after this year, I guess anything is possible.

Not even sure who will be good in the SEC at all next year. Maybe Georgia? And...?

Tenn and Arkansas.

Lunar15

Auburn could be good, what with Muschamp bringing the defense, but I think that might take a year or two to get started.

Other than that... I don't see a whole lot of promise in the SEC.

andycapps

Miss St will have Dak Prescott back, but they lose most of their starters. LSU can improve if some of their juniors decide to come back for senior season. Bama's secondary can't be much worse than this year, I think they'll be better if they can find some receivers to take over those catches that Cooper had this year. They'll probably score less, but their defense should be better.

West seems like it'll be wide open next year between Bama, Auburn, LSU, and maybe Miss St unless they revert back to the norm of Miss schools. Dr Bo is gone, so that's that for Ole Miss.

Would assume that East will be between Mizzou and UGA. Florida and Tennessee should be improved some, no clue what will happen with USCe.

Phil Steele has a chart for each conference showing where teams will rank in 2015 for returning starters. Obviously it's not the be all end all as if you go by returning starters then Tennessee, Vandy, or Ole Miss should win the SEC next year. Michigan or Purdue next year in the B1G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom