• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to Meyers comments? Curious.

Never really bought that argument cos the FCS one is 16 teams now I believe. I'm good with 6 or 8.

Basically that the families get no help at all attending these game, for instance OSU's players families have had to try to book flights,hotels, tickets for 3 separate games in 3 different cities.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Phil Steele has a chart for each conference showing where teams will rank in 2015 for returning starters. Obviously it's not the be all end all as if you go by returning starters then Tennessee, Vandy, or Ole Miss should win the SEC next year. Michigan or Purdue next year in the B1G.

I thought Oklahoma State would be higher on that list.

The problem for the rest of the Big 12 is that in the conference rankings Baylor is #1 and TCU is #3.

Basically that the families get no help at all attending these game, for instance OSU's players families have had to try to book flights,hotels, tickets for 3 separate games in 3 different cities.

That doesn't seem like all that big of a deal. Certainly not enough to hold up expansion.

::edit::

Could be wrong, but I think Draxal is referring to this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/106947/playoff-grind-a-concern-for-meyer?src=mobile

Though covering travel and ticket costs for families of players is also a debate that needs to be had.

That makes a bit more sense, though the article pretty much counters it in the same way I would: The NFL plays 16 games and all other divisions in college play 15 to 16 games, and add to that that even in high school it's 16 games (in Texas, at least). Meyer says "This is the first time in college football history that you’re asking a student at a university to spend this much time," but in reality they will be playing 14 games while this season alone you will have 8 other college football teams playing 15 or more (2 each for FCS, D-II, D-III, and NAIA).

@jbook37 38m38 minutes ago
Stanford's Lance Anderson and Shannon Turley and Kentucky's Vince Murrow all declined to go work on Harbaugh staff at Michigan.

I'm back to against 8 and Meyer explained it perfectly, it's just too much on the kids.

I'm assuming it's an argument about the length of the season, as I don't recall specifically what Meyer might have said but length is one that has made the rounds recently, and often before that.

Schedule length is a junk argument, and is simply self-serving, as is usually the case with college athletics. And if it isn't junk, it is one that should be made for every other level of collegiate football. D1 FCS plays a 12 game schedule and then a 24 team playoff. D2 has a 24 team playoff, and D3 is 32.

I don't want to hear about too long of a season at 4 or 8 teams. I also don't want to hear about it expanding into academic work, which is another argument they use. 12/20 was a perfectly good Saturday to hold the quarters this year.

Because it's football and you always have to wait a week for the next game?

But anyways, I do wish that the game were on Saturday night instead of Monday night. Really fucks up the work week, having it on Monday. I've already decided that I'm taking vacation time next Tuesday. Full day if we win, half day if we lose.

Yep, hoping it's an up all night sorta thing ;o

I got 3 hours of sleep following the Bama game and was running off pure adrenaline at work the next day. Ive already scheduled the Tuesday after off.

Good man

Balphon

Yeah I agree. I'm not sure about letting my kid stay up and watch it because it's a school night. I was wrecked all week at work.

College football is for Saturdays.

You're not wrong, but there is no way they would schedule this game against the NFL playoffs.

andycapps

@jbook37 38m38 minutes ago
Stanford's Lance Anderson and Shannon Turley and Kentucky's Vince Murrow all declined to go work on Harbaugh staff at Michigan.

The funny thing about Turley is that he applied for the opening for strength and conditioning coach at UGA, didn't get it, but isn't interested in going to Michigan. :jnc

Champ game jerseys:

B6mSZbRCMAASaXM.jpg

B6mSaF8CEAAiJ50.jpg

Draxal

KingGondo

Banned
Weird that Oregon isn't wearing at least *some* yellow or green.

Especially since they're the higher-ranked team and had their choice.

Must have planned on wearing those regardless of the matchup. They probably assumed it would be Bama.

Weird that Oregon isn't wearing at least *some* yellow or green.

Especially since they're the higher-ranked team and had their choice.

Must have planned on wearing those regardless of the matchup. They probably assumed it would be Bama.

Its cool, ESPN thought it was going to be bama too:

B6mbEYHCMAAuaBB.png

KingGondo

Banned
Yeah, I mean those are sound from a design standpoint. They just don't look like Oregon.

Even worse, Oregon happens to have awesome and unique colors.

andycapps

It's not even about the way it looks, it's the way it doesn't look. To wit, it doesn't look green or yellow.

I guess that part is interesting but when you're using different shades of yellow or green in each uniform and mixing in alternate colors all willy nilly, this isn't too shocking to finally elevate one of the alternate colors and leave your primary ones out. Honestly, this is one of the least offensive Oregon uniforms I've seen just because it's not such an assault on the eyes.

Oregon not wearing school color's is just about the most shameful thing possible but whatever.

I saw on Twitter over the weekend that the two CFP games had higher tv ratings than the two NFL playoff games from Saturday. Looks like the playoff is a success.

Piggus

Oregon not wearing school color's is just about the most shameful thing possible but whatever.

I saw on Twitter over the weekend that the two CFP games had higher tv ratings than the two NFL playoff games from Saturday. Looks like the playoff is a success.

White is one of our school colors. We've worn all white uniforms numerous times. These are pretty much the same uniforms we wore against USC in 2012.

Draxal

? for Sparty fans.

Would you rather be in the East or West (switching out for Purdue). Seems to be a big divide there.

White is one of our school colors. We've worn all white uniforms numerous times. These are pretty much the same uniforms we wore against USC in 2012.

" In the 1890s,Oregon students voted to make the school colors green and yellow. The football team, however, chose to wear blue and yellow. It wasn't until 1925 that students voted to force the football team to adopt the official school colors, according to the school's archives."

Piggus

" In the 1890s,Oregon students voted to make the school colors green and yellow. The football team, however, chose to wear blue and yellow. It wasn't until 1925 that students voted to force the football team to adopt the official school colors, according to the school's archives."

When has Oregon cared about tradition in the last 5 or 6 years? Our "tradition" is to be non-traditional, to the hilarious displeasure of college football "purists" who think it's a travesty to change the width of a fucking stripe.

All that really matters is it benefits recruiting.

Piggus

Which is why Nike U does that nonsense. And then the athletes don't see a dime.

When I'm sports czar, schools have 1 home and 1 away uniform. They can apply for changes every 4 years, subject to my approval.

You could make that argument for literally any of the crap that every schools sells to fans. Alabama-branded hot sauce, FSU-branded rape whistles, you name it.

Balphon

Which is why Nike U does that nonsense. And then the athletes don't see a dime.

When I'm sports czar, schools have 1 home and 1 away uniform. They can apply for changes every 4 years, subject to my approval.

Can you make Tennessee wear that ugly checkerboard stuff they like to put everywhere?

You should also make Washington wear plaid or something. Call it a tribute to grunge.

cdyhybrid

I'm sorry that James Castleman crushed your spirit.

I'm more sad that our team looked like ass, and there's a lot of uncertainty going into next season. Although I suppose a lot of turnover from a mediocre team is not necessarily a bad thing. I'll miss our three defensive All-Americans though :(

You should also make Washington wear plaid or something. Call it a tribute to grunge.

Do you work for every broadcast team that covers a Seattle sports team? :p

Our games always go to commercial playing Nirvana/Soundgarden/AiC/Pearl Jam.

At least change it up and go with Hendrix sometimes, geez.

andycapps

When has Oregon cared about tradition in the last 5 or 6 years? Our "tradition" is to be non-traditional, to the hilarious displeasure of college football "purists" who think it's a travesty to change the width of a fucking stripe.

All that really matters is it benefits recruiting.

You're basically saying you're down with whatever uniform designs they come up with, as long as 17-18 year olds in highschool enjoy it. Pardon me for not agreeing with today's youth on what is or isn't cool.

Balphon

Do you work for every broadcast team that covers a Seattle sports team? :p

Our games always go to commercial playing Nirvana/Soundgarden/AiC/Pearl Jam.

At least change it up and go with Hendrix sometimes, geez.

I just want to make my dream of seeing the Huskies take the field in purple and gold flannel a reality.

inm8num2

This. Better for recruiting, too.

I'd be pissed if they moved us.

Me too. I can imagine Delany sitting in his office thinking, "I need to get MSU out of this division so they don't muck up the stakes of the OSU-UM game."

Draxal, is the switch something that's been rumored elsewhere, or just a hypothetical question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom