• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

I think the only annoying thing about Ohio State, at least to me, is the whole "THE Ohio State University" thing. It's like, yeah, who else would it be, the other Ohio State University? Every school has their "annoying thing that fans love, but everyone else hates" thing, though.

Not as dumb as Miami calling themselves "The U", though.

Slightly related story: I was in a marketing class at UF and one time the VP of Marketing for UF came and gave a guest lecture. He basically used the whole time to complain about how "Gator Nation" was his lovechild, and he hated Urban Meyer for using it in relation to sports because it "ruined" it, or something. Yeah, as if "Gator Nation" was a really unique thing to begin with.

I think the only annoying thing about Ohio State, at least to me, is the whole "THE Ohio State University" thing. It's like, yeah, who else would it be, the other Ohio State University? Every school has their "annoying thing that fans love, but everyone else hates" thing, though.

Slightly related story: I was in a marketing class at UF and one time the VP of Marketing for UF came and gave a guest lecture. He basically used the whole time to complain about how "Gator Nation" was his lovechild, and he hated Urban Meyer for using it in relation to sports because it "ruined" it, or something. Yeah, as if "Gator Nation" was a really unique thing to begin with.

I mean, it is the name of the college....

Seal_of_the_Ohio_State_University.png

At this point the "THE" is emphasized because people hate it, kind of what happened with the SEC chant.

Meier

Fingers crossed that the Bucs take him. He's a player you build a franchise around. No doubt in my mind. We haven't had a good quarterback in so, so long. :(

I saw that ESPN 2 and the sec network will also air the game. They break down who is showing what yet?

I hope the SEC network just takes phone calls from SEC fans watching the game. "Pawwwwwwwwl we need to get rid of the playoff and go back to the BCS. This playoff system has an unfair northern bias"

At this point the "THE" is emphasized because people hate it, kind of what happened with the SEC chant.

Looks like the artist squeezed in the "THE" after he already created the emblem

It's too bad his father preemptively broke the news instead of Jameis himself.

I think it started primarily as a diss at the other public universities in Ohio (i.e., "We're Ohio's premier public university") and somehow morphed into something else entirely.

I list my alma mater as "The Ohio State University" in my resume and in other similar contexts, but it's not because I'm trying to be a dick. It's the university's official name.

andycapps

"The" is part of our logo and name as well and we don't go around reminding people that we're THE University of Georgia. We don't need to remind the other schools in the state that we're the flagship institution, they know that already. Same with Bama and most other schools where their name beings with University of "". Doesn't apply for the University of Ole Miss, though.

I haven't been watching Oregon closely enough to know for sure, but has Oregon's basic game plan changed at all since Helfrich took over for Kelly? Or is it almost entirely the same? Seems the same to me, but I'm obviously not aware of any of the nuances that Helfrich might have altered.

If it's pretty much identical to what they were running in 09-10, I hope Meyer has given the 2010 Rose Bowl a watch. I don't want him to go full Tresselball, obviously, but that game was perhaps Tressel's most masterful coaching performance. It wasn't a blowout, but Tress played Chip like a fiddle.

Probably a few helpful lessons to be learned from it.

MIMIC

Banned
Rewatching the game I have no clue what Bama's play calling was on that last drive, they were running the drive like it was the middle of the 3rd quarter, not the end of the game with 90 seconds left. It was super odd.

Can't think straight when your shook.

I graduated from Ohio State but I never bring up the "the" part unless someone brings it up first (like my professor did yesterday when he mentioned the Ohio State hat I was wearing)

Chris R

I hope he falls to 20-30 and sits behind somebody for a year or two. But then, I hope that for 99% of quarterbacks since most of them need time in the incubator.

Real talk: Let him fall to San Francisco. I am not a believer in Kaepernick.

Oh please let him go to SanFran. My roommate would be bitching 24/7.

inm8num2

Good stuff. In addition, Dantonio's response to all the "Bro are you worried about Harbaugh?" questions was perfect.

Dantonio ... was asked whether MSU's quest to stay among the nation's best will be challenged by Harbaugh.

"That's occurred a number of times since I've been here, so yeah, it's going to be a challenge every time there's somebody new, every time there's somebody new in the Big Ten," Dantonio said.

Gotta love MD.

jjasper

Sounds like Petermann is leaving. Not really surprising he has graduated so he can play immediately somewhere next year (If he can somehow find a place with a QB worse than he is.).

edit: Apparently not so somewhat surprising.

Meier

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/27/Seal_of_the_Ohio_State_University.png[img]

At this point the "THE" is emphasized because people hate it, kind of what happened with the SEC chant.[/QUOTE]
I think a large number of Universities have "The" officially in their name. UT Austin does and I do use The when I am introducing myself on the phone (Hi this is "Meier" from The University of Texas at Austin). If I'm talking to someone in person I just say UT Austin though. I know my FSU diploma lists The Florida State University on it although it's not in the seal like UT or OSU.

OSU seems to be the only one ago puts specific emphasis on it. More like thee almost. I say "The University" almost as if it were 1 word with UT.

MIMIC

Banned
Anybody else (basically, Buckeye fans) feel like the Ohio State-Bama game was the title game? I was more excited for the semis than I am the actual title game. Of course I'm glad that we're in it (and want us to win), but if we lose....I don't think that I'll be all that disappointed. Whereas, I would have been pissed if we lost to Bama.

I hope the players aren't having the same hangover :)

Balphon

Anybody else (basically, Buckeye fans) feel like the Ohio State-Bama game was the title game? I was more excited for the semis than I am the actual title game. Of course I'm glad that we're in it (and want us to win), but if we lose....I don't think that I'll be all that disappointed. Whereas, I would have been pissed if we lost to Bama.

You sound like someone preparing themselves for disappointment.

Pretty sure Urban wouldn't allow that to happen.

Tress would; Urb won't.

KingGondo

Banned
You're right, now that I think about it. I don't know any Oklahoma State fans.

Mythical creatures, if you ask me. Sasquatch, Bigfoot, Pokies.

You guys are clearly thinking of Oregon State, the made up school in a place called "Corvallis."

Michelle Obama's brother was a coach there? Little too convenient if you ask me.

And I've never seen a beaver IRL. It's obvious the over-hunting excuse is a coverup.

Pretty sure it's really Area 51.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
You guys are clearly thinking of Oregon State, the made up school in a place called "Corvallis."

Michelle Obama's brother was a coach there? Little too convenient if you ask me.

And I've never seen a beaver IRL. It's obvious the over-hunting excuse is a coverup.

Pretty sure it's really Area 51.

You've never seen a real life beaver? You're going to turn into a wizard!

andycapps

Not who I thought it would be. Hope he has experience recruiting.

@SethEmerson: Brian Schottenheimer leaves the St. Louis Rams, where he was offensive coordinator. He will be Georgia's OC and QB coach.

cdyhybrid

Sorry UGA-GAF.

The Rams' offense has been pretty bad, but they haven't had even a decent QB, so maybe it could get better with an actual player taking the snaps.

Think about it as "the state university of ohio". Some in ohio emphasize the @the to make it be the best/exclusive/only university that matters in the state - ie: "ohio's one and only state university".

andycapps

From sbnation:

B6xQZdYCQAASsSd.png

Bobo did that a few years ago with Carlton Thomas, 5'7" 163. Some may or may not remember my frustration with Bobo in those days.

Really I think that Mark Richt needs to hand him an agenda consisting of three items: 1) Nick Chubb rush up the middle 2) Nick Chubb rush left side 3) Nick Chubb rush right side.

Wow. Get ready for a steady diet of slants.

I'm okay with some slants as long as he "runs the damn ball, Bobo." Also, we've been a pretty good big play offense the past few years, needs to continue taking shots downfield like Bobo would call.

I see we have sent a mole into the UGA program as OC. Hopefully he was as effective as Muschamp was for UGA.

Ha, I was wondering if any UF fans would have a take on this. It's a little surprising for me, but I guess I've been desensitized by seeing Muschamp at rival schools and Kirby Smart at Bama.

Kacar

Just read that since Oregon had classes start this Monday and OSUs start next Monday that OSU doesn't have to abide by the 20 hour limit a week.

Interesting but probably not that meaningful.

Edit: beaten.

andycapps

This is an uga in the kennel moment if there ever was one.

Not really. I don't know enough about him to make a definitive decision on whether this is a good hire or not. Really all of the possibilities had some drawbacks. What I am excited about is that he runs a pro style offense like us, and that he's been a QB coach in the NFL. Should appeal to Jacob Eason and keep him on board. Seems like he likes the power run game but will also run 5 receivers or Wildcat. All of that is a plus in my book, the recruiting is the main thing I'm worried about. Bobo was one of the best in the country and had south Georgia nailed down.

andycapps

I do.

And it's not.

If it's not, that should be readily apparent this next year and this could either be Richt's ticket out of town, or route to the playoffs if you're wrong. With what Schottenheimer has to work with, there's not much excuse for a poor offense next year. Chubb, Michel, Marshall back at RB. Ramsey or Park at QB. Mitchell, Blazevich, Jay Rome catching the ball, though we do need some more WR's to step up. 4 returning OL. Shouldn't be a big dropoff in talent.

Enron

Banned
Side note: At this point, I'm pretty sure it would ruin Enron's decade if Georgia went 15-0 next year.

hey man i would rather be wrong and win than be right and lose

although im pretty sure it will be more of the latter

Schotty is going to be doing awesome shit like playing Malcolm Mitchell in the backfield and running him on toss sweeps. Maybe we'll split Chubb out wide! Defenses will never see that coming!

andycapps

hey man i would rather be wrong and win than be right and lose

although im pretty sure it will be more of the latter

Schotty is going to be doing awesome shit like playing Malcolm Mitchell in the backfield and running him on toss sweeps. Maybe we'll split Chubb out wide! Defenses will never see that coming!

I'm curious how much the contract for Schottenheimer will be. What's been encouraging to me is Mcgarity opening up the pocketbook to pay Pruitt what he was worth. I'd like to see more of the same across the board in our program, though smart decisions be made.. Don't just spend money for the sake of it. I'd love for them to build a top notch indoor practice field, update the locker rooms at Sanford, and anything else Richt has been asking for for years.

If he did do any of that shit with Mitchell that would be dumb. Now doing weird stuff with Michel would make more sense because he's smaller and quicker and could bring an interesting dynamic out there. They need to figure out ways to get him the ball in space, while also giving Chubb his carries. Some bubble screens for Michel sounds perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom