• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

Read some threads over at Ducksattack...a lot of well thought out discussion there, but damn if there isn't a good number of arrogant SOB's for a program that has only been relevant for so long. Fair number of Cardale is a dummy talk there too...hope that catches on just to motivate him more.

4 days!

That's what happens when someone buys you a football program overnight.

They also love to bash other schools for off-field stuff while conveniently ignoring that they're the home of Cliff "I Smoked It All" Harris and Colt Lyerla.

Gobias

Banned
Read some threads over at Ducksattack...a lot of well thought out discussion there, but damn if there isn't a good number of arrogant SOB's for a program that has only been relevant for so long. Fair number of Cardale is a dummy talk there too...hope that catches on just to motivate him more.

4 days!

All forums for a specific team are terrible.

KingGondo

Banned
One of my proudest recent moments was discovering that the Twitter account for LandThieves.com blocked me. I have no idea why either, I'm not particularly inflammatory, but I must be doing something right.

Feels good man.

They've been awesome for quite a while. Arguably the most consistent program in the country since 2000.

They were certainly quite good under Bellotti, in 2001 and 2005 in particular, but i'm talking more about relevant in the national spotlight as in being seen as a powerhouse, which seemed to begin around the time Chip took over. At least, that's how I recollect it, though I didn't follow NCAA as closely as I do now in my preteen and early teen years.

True.

Except OSU fan forums of course...everything we say and believe is perfectly rational.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Don't blink, Buckeyes.

auCdDQx.png
Arrogant dickholes indeed. Calling all this schools "fcs schools." Wow.

Assanova

Don't blink, Buckeyes.

auCdDQx.png

I wouldn't give that too much weight. If I remember correctly, they were blowing opponents out the same years that they played Ohio State and Auburn recently, and we all know how those bowl games turned out. Oregon is good until they play a competent defense.

Kacar

Just like he said in August USA Today's Danny Sheridan still believes that Urban isn't a top 25 coach in college. He said on the Finebaum show today to just look at Florida's program now.

Is this guy for real, sounds like a plea for attention.

Lunar15

Just like he said in August USA Today's Danny Sheridan still believes that Urban isn't a top 25 coach in college. He said on the Finebaum show today to just look at Florida's program now.

What does florida's performance now have to do with Urban's talent as a coach? If we were doing well without him, that might be a case, but shit went south fast after he left (well, really once he checked out mentally in his last year)

andycapps

I've heard some say that he's great at winning with other coaches recruits, but we'll see how he does at Ohio State. I know Barrett and Elliott were recruited by him.

Don't blink, Buckeyes.

auCdDQx.png

I hate these kinds of "runs" stats. They're so context devoid and arbitrary. I interviewed at Stats LLC, the company that provides most of these stats for ESPN and other broadcast companies and they actually make the researchers have daily quotas of finding these kinds of ridiculous stats.

Like that was half the job, writing SQL queries to come up with pointless, meaningless stats like this that broadcasters and article writers could spew out as filler content. It pained my soul too much to work there.

If we're actually about to engage in a lengthy conversation over whether or not Urban Meyer is a good coach, then I'm leaving CFB-GAF forever.

I couldn't possibly handle all of the hot takes.

Draxal

I've heard some say that he's great at winning with other coaches recruits, but we'll see how he does at Ohio State. I know Barrett and Elliott were recruited by him.

Ohio State is insanely young, their best player is probably Bosa and he's a sophmore.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

I don't really get the logic. They won national championships with him and are noticeably worse since he left and that is evidence that he's NOT a good coach?

Draxal

I don't really get the logic. They won national championships with him and are noticeably worse since he left and that is evidence that he's NOT a good coach?

GOOD COACHES BUILD PROGRAMS THAT SUBSTAIN AFTER THEY LEAVE LIKE OBC @ FLORIDA.

In reality,I think people look at Utah instead of Florida while attacking Meyer. My whole issue with Sheridan, is that while fine you can say that he isn't a top five/ten coach or whatever. Can you even name a top 25 of coaches? I'm pretty sure I can't.

Balphon

I wouldn't give that too much weight. If I remember correctly, they were blowing opponents out the same years that they played Ohio State and Auburn recently, and we all know how those bowl games turned out. Oregon is good until they play a competent defense.

Auburn won on a last second field goal.

Dyer was down.

Piggus

I hate these kinds of "runs" stats. They're so context devoid and arbitrary. I interviewed at Stats LLC, the company that provides most of these stats for ESPN and other broadcast companies and they actually make the researchers have daily quotas of finding these kinds of ridiculous stats.

Like that was half the job, writing SQL queries to come up with pointless, meaningless stats like this that broadcasters and article writers could spew out as filler content. It pained my soul too much to work there.

Oh wow >_< that's crazy lol.

Piggus

Oh sorry, I didn't know we played 0 competent defenses this year when we played (and beat handily) MSU, Stanford, Utah, Arizona, and FSU--all of which had people picking against us because we "were actually playing a good defense for once."

I also didn't realize this was the same exact team that played in 2010 and 2011, and that tOSU's defense is one of the best in the country this year (statistically it's about the same as our own). My mistake!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Oh sorry, I didn't know we played 0 competent defenses this year when we played (and beat handily) MSU, Stanford, Utah, Arizona, and FSU--all of which had people picking against us because we "were actually playing a good defense for once."

I also didn't realize this was the same exact team that played in 2010 and 2011, and that tOSU's defense is one of the best in the country this year (statistically it's about the same as our own). My mistake!

FSU didn't have a quality defense. Average, maybe, but they were way down from the previous year. Now, the stats might be even more shifted after 59-20, but they went from a top 5 (2013) to a 50th ranked defense (2014).

Arizona and Utah had horrible defenses, especially Arizona.

But MSUn and Stanford, statistically, had good defenses. Stanford looked to do well against other competent offenses, but MSUn had horrible days against Oregon, OSUn and Baylor, with maybe Nebraska being a good defensive effort against a decent offense, meaning, I don't know how good MSUn's defense is.

Which can be said about Alabama's defense. Great against an ok A&M offense, ok against good WVU and Miss State's offense, and bad against Auburn and OSUn. All while destroying bad offenses.

Basically, Oregon hasn't faced as many good defenses as you think.

Piggus

FSU didn't have a quality defense. Average, maybe, but they were way down from the previous year. Now, the stats might be even more shifted after 59-20, but they went from a top 5 (2013) to a 50th ranked defense (2014).

But MSUn and Stanford, statistically, had good defenses. Stanford looked to do well against other competent offenses, but MSUn had horrible days against Oregon, OSUn and Baylor, with maybe Nebraska being a good defensive effort against a decent offense, meaning, I don't know how good MSUn's defense is.

Which can be said about Alabama's defense. Great against an ok A&M offense, ok against good WVU and Miss State's offense, and bad against Auburn and OSUn. All while destroying bad offenses.

Fine, but this notion people have that OSU's defense is significantly better than anything we've faced so far is pretty silly. Where exactly are people getting that notion from? I'm much more concerned about OSU's offense, frankly, making for a very balanced team.

Regardless, we've played good defenses this year. In fact we've shredded good defenses this year.

Fine, but this notion people have that OSU's defense is significantly better than anything we've faced so far is pretty silly. Where exactly are people getting that notion from? I'm much more concerned about OSU's offense, frankly, making for a very balanced team.

Regardless, we've played good defenses this year. In fact we've shredded good defenses this year.
Wait so in response to the facts (which you acknowledge) regarding the defenses you faced not being as good as tosu, your response is that therefore tosu's defense isn't better than what you faced? Hot take bro

Piggus

Wait so in response to the facts (which you acknowledge) regarding the defenses you faced not being as good as tosu, your response is that therefore tosu's defense isn't better than what you faced? Hot take bro

Where are the stats that say tOSU's defense is significantly better than Stanford or MSU's defense? And please don't give me the bullshit yards allowed metric as a way of ranking a defense. With the exception of Wisconsin, OSU has given up more points in the last six games than we have.

Where are the stats that say tOSU's defense is significantly better than Stanford or MSU's defense?
First of all, two schools, after the facts shot you down on the others you already named. Move those goalposts. Second, I'm not going to make dumb statements about the two you named because I don't have the stats in front of me.

Piggus

First of all, two schools, after the facts shot you down on the others you already named. Move those goalposts. Second, I'm not going to make dumb statements about the two you named because I don't have the stats in front of me.

Fine with me if you don't want to provide any stats. lol. All I'm asking is where this notion comes from that OSU's defense is somehow significantly better than anything we've already played. Can you answer that for me?

Fine with me if you don't want to provide any stats. lol. All I'm asking is where this notion comes from that OSU's defense is somehow significantly better than anything we've already played. Can you answer that for me?
From the series of posts that you just acknowledged in your own response then ignored. Carry on tho

Piggus

From the series of posts that you just acknowledged in your own response then ignored. Carry on tho

There was some who-beat-who and some eye test going on in Lonestar's post, where he nonetheless made a good point, but I'm not seeing in hard numbers or convincing stats showing that OSU's defense is a lot better than MSU's or Stanfords. Especially when you look at how many points OSU has given up (again, with the exception of Wisconsin which was a GREAT game for OSU.)

Like Oregon, OSU is here mainly because of its great offense. But it still has a defense that couldn't hold back VT and squeaked by Penn State in 2 OT.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
They've been awesome for quite a while. Arguably the most consistent program in the country since 2000.

Really, because it seems like just about 5 or 6 years ago, they were Boise Sts bitch, losing each time they played. Don't think Boise wants to play them now tho.

Lonestar

Fewest plays of 20 + yards given up in the nation. Holding Melvin Gordon and cooper in check are good starts

OSUn held Sims down, and as such, Sims held Cooper down.

Don't go LSU on us and believe that a 2 TD night is horrible.

Flipside is, the last 6 opponents for Oregon have an average scoring offense of 30.15 ppg, and OSUn's last 6 opponents is 31.48 (OSUn having played 3 teams with better scoring offenses than Oregon's best. MSUn, Alabama, Wincy > FSU)

Flip Flipside, is it's still 105 to 151 between Oregon and OSUn.

OSUn held Sims down, and as such, Sims held Cooper down.

Don't go LSU on us and believe that a 2 TD night is horrible.

Flipside is, the last 6 opponents for Oregon have an average scoring offense of 30.15 ppg, and OSUn's last 6 opponents is 31.48 (OSUn having played 3 teams with better scoring offenses than Oregon's best. MSUn, Alabama, Wincy > FSU)

Flip Flipside, is it's still 105 to 151 between Oregon and OSUn.

Compared to what Cooper did in the past this season? Ill take the 70 yards we held him to, the secondary did a great job of not letting him get separation down the field nor Sims much time. I didnt say they shut either down, but they held them in check way below their season averages.

Lonestar

Compared to what Cooper did in the past this season? Ill take the 70 yards we held him to, the secondary did a great job of not letting him get separation down the field nor Sims much time.

We don't know if any separation happened, because we never threw it deep, unless they've released the All 22 video.

1st deep pass attempt I remember, was to White in the 4th quarter. I do remember the 8-10 bubble screens, which is probably about USCw Lane standard, or about double the amount he had been doing this year.

Here is ESPN's insane Championship game coverage plans:

-Traditional Telecast: ESPN’s traditional telecast will be called by Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit, with Heather Cox and Tom Rinaldi reporting from the sidelines.

-Film Room: The popular option from last year – which included coaches and ESPN analysts predicting a fake punt the play before it occurred – will be available on ESPN2. The coverage will feature ESPN analysts Chris Spielman and Tom Luginbill with Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen, new Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi, who was defensive coordinator of this season’s Michigan State squad that played both Ohio State and Oregon, and new Nebraska coach Mike Riley, the former coach of Oregon rival Oregon State, providing in-depth X and O analysis of the game as it happens from a film room equipped with multiple camera angles, coaches clicker technology and telestration at ESPN’s Bristol, Conn. headquarters.

-ESPN Voices: The ESPNU telecast will take fans into a specially-created viewing theatre with a cross-section of ESPN on-air personalities from outside college football responsibilities as they watch and discuss the game, including Jay Bilas, Aaron Boone, Julie Foudy, Barry Melrose, Mark Schlereth and Michael Wilbon.

-Off the Ball: Available on ESPNEWS, Off the Ball will give viewers an inside look at the way current ESPN analysts Kevin Carter, Matt Millen, Jason Sehorn and Matt Stinchcomb, as well as Super Bowl-winning wide receiver Amani Toomer, study and dissect the game by focusing on the plays away from the ball, including in the trenches of the offensive and defensive lines, the wide receiver vs. defensive back matchups, coaching strategy and more. Bob Wischusen will host.

-Sounds of the Game: ESPN Classic’s coverage will couple ESPN’s video with the natural sounds of the game that will be captured by the 100 microphones positioned throughout the stadium. The telecast will include the pregame and halftime performances of the Oregon and Ohio State marching bands.

-Radio Broadcast: ESPN Radio’s broadcast will use ESPN’s Monday Night Football announcer Mike Tirico with top ESPN college football analyst Todd Blackledge, reporters Holly Rowe and Joe Schad, and Rules Expert Bill Lemonnier.

-Home Team Radio: ESPN3, in cooperation with IMG College, will offer an “Oregon Radio Call” (via Oregon IMG Sports Network) and “Ohio State Radio Call” (via Ohio State IMG Sports Network) presentation. Each of the team’s specific coverage will feature the their home radio broadcast (Oregon’s Jerry Allen, analyst Mike Jorgensen, reporter Joey McMurray and host Chase Morgan, and Ohio State’s Paul Keels with analyst Jim Lachey and reporter Marty Bannister). The on-screen presentation will provide fans of both teams with the game feed plus isolated cameras on their home team’s head coach and marquee players.

-Command Center: Available on ESPN Goal Line, the commercial free coverage will feature a full-time split screen application showing the live game action, along with immediate replays of every play and isolated camera feeds of both head coaches, enhanced statistics and the ESPN Radio broadcast call. The Command Center option will sample other Megacast content during on-field media timeouts.

-Spanish Language Call: ESPN Deportes will provide a traditional telecast of the game with Eduardo Varela and analyst Pablo Viruega providing a Spanish language call of the action. The game will also be available in Spanish on ESPN Deportes Radio.

-SpiderCam: Fans will be able to watch the entire game from the above stadium SpiderCam angle on ESPN3.

-Taco Bell Student Section: The ESPN3 commercial free option will feature cameras in the Taco Bell student sections (special sections created by Taco Bell that treat 500 students from each school to a VIP experience) and with the cheerleaders, bands and mascots of each team to showcase how the most enthusiastic fans in the building are living and dying with every play.

-Data Center: The commercial free coverage on ESPN3 will include significant on-screen graphic content ranging from analytics, curated social media reaction and more.

-Around the World: ESPN’s game coverage will be available to the men and women serving in the United States military branches in 175 countries through the American Forces Network. Fans in 146 countries around the world will be able to view the game on ESPN International and ESPN Deportes platforms.

Lonestar

my eyes glazed over that list, and for a second, I thought I saw that Taco Bell was going to have it's own coverage of the game.

Is that where Josh Freeman's been this whole time?

AntoneM

Bullshit.

george_us

I agree with this. The only major concern I'd have if I were a Ducks fan is Ohio State's defensive line. The Buckeyes are going to have the best defensive line Oregon has faced all year. Offensively, if they don't turn the ball over, the Buckeyes should move the ball at will.

Of course my homer pick would be the Buckeyes but logically I think this game is a coin flip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom