• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Reggie Ragland is staying for his senior year, so yay, we have experience in the mlb department!

Collins, Cooper and Yeldon aren't staying. I know Yeldon's going, before he gets too many more injuries.

JK Scott finished #1 in punting average this year (and would be leading in the NFL right now too), with 48 yards a punt. He didn't win the Ray Guy award...

andycapps

Good article on Football Study Hall regarding what the difference is between a pro-style and spread attack. TLDR version is, look at where the H and Y players are on the field, that will indicate whether you're seeing a spread formation or a pro formation.

bucknuticus said:
Here is ESPN's insane Championship game coverage plans:

Will probably be watching the main one since I'll be with other people, but I might tape the coaches one just to hear their Inside Baseball perspective. The ESPN Classic one is probably most intriguing to be, just hearing the sounds of the game and being able to see the halftime shows.

Ha, reading a post on a $9.95 site from a supposed UGA insider posting about how happy they were to get Schottenheimer (hereafter known as Schotty) and how they had another direction lined up, but this was the one that everyone wanted. Supposedly Schotty is looking at bringing in an NFL OL coach and has a couple in mind, wants to have a hire in place by Monday.

NFL hires are hit or miss for me. They have experience at the highest level of the sport is the positive. The downside is that they may be so used to working with professionals that they're not able to teach the basic fundamentals to a kid fresh out of highschool. Also, 'crootin.

impirius

wait what why

EQzbmiF.jpg

KingGondo

Banned
South Carolina opponents each receive a single voucher good for one (1) week of Heisman contention for an offensive player, redeemable immediately after the game
We used to be like that. Made Taylor Martinez and David Ash look like Peyton Manning.

Lunar15 said:
There's no way that's the real jersey for UM. I refuse to believe it.
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Reggie Ragland is staying for his senior year, so yay, we have experience in the mlb department!

Collins, Cooper and Yeldon aren't staying. I know Yeldon's going, before he gets too many more injuries.

JK Scott finished #1 in punting average this year (and would be leading in the NFL right now too), with 48 yards a punt. He didn't win the Ray Guy award...
It's actually official now (press conference going on right now). Both Ragland and Reed staying! Collins, Cooper and Yeldon gone. Yeldon is actually about to get behind a microphone! Don't think I've heard him speak in 3 years.

mre

#1 RB Harris to Bama

Now to find some videos, never seen him run.
The videos I saw were not all that impressive not because of him or his ability, but the kids he was playing against. In some of the clips it was literally as if a college player was going against the 9th grade team with regards to the size and athletic ability of his opponents. Not that I don't think he's a hell of a back, I just haven't seen any highlights from him that made me say "wow."

Lonestar

The videos I saw were not all that impressive not because of him or his ability, but the kids he was playing against. In some of the clips it was literally as if a college player was going against the 9th grade team with regards to the size and athletic ability of his opponents. Not that I don't think he's a hell of a back, I just haven't seen any highlights from him that made me say "wow."

Yeah, my same opinion. I always compare RB tapes to Eddie Lacy's High School tape, where he obliterates Louisiana players (which are generally some of the top level high school teams out there). Harris' don't match up.

But he should still be a good RB in time.

andycapps

Richt and Schotty having a conference right now talking about the hire. Richt thanked the administration at UGA and the school president for doing what it took to get him. Meaning, as Schlabach and others have reported, there has been some tension between the coaches and the admin, and it looks like the coaches (and some high value donors that put pressure on McGarity last week) won. Schottenheimer got 2 mil back when he was with the Jets, presumably got more with the Rams. People are thinking he probably got no less than Pruitt's 1.3 mil to come to UGA. That info will come out soon. The existing coaches at UGA will also be getting some decent raises as well, it sounds like.

All of the above was overdue and should have happened years ago. Hopefully this is a new period for UGA and they start spending what it takes. Assuming news on the indoor practice field will come out in the next month or so.

Karl2177

We used to be like that. Made Taylor Martinez and David Ash look like Peyton Manning.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

That's Iowa State now. You can go through the ESPN Big 12 blog from this season and see each week the accolades they give to players. Every time there's one that goes to the quarterback against Iowa State saying they put in a record performance worthy of recognition on a larger scale. Every time I read it I thought, "maybe our defense just sucks."

Limedust

I'm in agreement, as well. Still glad to have him.

mre

Yeah, my same opinion. I always compare RB tapes to Eddie Lacy's High School tape, where he obliterates Louisiana players (which are generally some of the top level high school teams out there). Harris' don't match up.

But he should still be a good RB in time.
With out clicking that link, is it the one where it says something like "It's nothing special. just Eddie being Eddie" or something like that?

Lacy is my favorite back we've had since Alexander because of how he ran, and I love watching him run in the NFL and see that he's still pulling out that spin move. I kept expecting somebody to blow him up in the middle of it and just destroy him, but he keeps on spinning and spinning away.
I'm in agreement, as well. Still glad to have him.
Absolutely. We have Bo coming in as well, but I think our other RB commit may move to either defense or HB/FB. Good to have some quality depth. I'd be shocked if Tenpenny didn't transfer out this year after spring practice.

Lonestar

With out clicking that link, is it the one where it says something like "It's nothing special. just Eddie being Eddie" or something like that?

Lacy is my favorite back we've had since Alexander because of how he ran, and I love watching him run in the NFL and see that he's still pulling out that spin move. I kept expecting somebody to blow him up in the middle of it and just destroy him, but he keeps on spinning and spinning away..

Think so. Its the one where near the end, there's a slo mo vid of 6 guys gangtackling Lacy, and Lacy still somehow breaks away for a long touchdown.

Absolutely. We have Bo coming in as well, but I think our other RB commit may move to either defense or HB/FB. Good to have some quality depth. I'd be shocked if Tenpenny didn't transfer out this year after spring practice.

Flowers? Shows he's only 6-0 and 205 lbs. Would need to bulk up a lot to become a FB or LB. Not sure he's tall enough to be a safety, unless he's agile enough and speedy enough to be a CB.

I imagine Tenpenny will go to Arkansas, just in time to be hyped up as some all world RB like their current group of RB's.

mre

Flowers? Shows he's only 6-0 and 205 lbs. Would need to bulk up a lot to become a FB or LB. Not sure he's tall enough to be a safety, unless he's agile enough and speedy enough to be a CB.

I imagine Tenpenny will go to Arkansas, just in time to be hyped up as some all world RB like their current group of RB's.
Definitely needs to bulk up either way. Same height Fowler was when he graduated, though Fowler already had weight on him. Just looked and they both went to Vigor high school.

Fowler. Flower(s). Vigor. FB? We can name him Nudie 2.

andycapps

Think so. Its the one where near the end, there's a slo mo vid of 6 guys gangtackling Lacy, and Lacy still somehow breaks away for a long touchdown.

Isn't this the truth? Truth be told, those RB's are more a product of their OL being pretty nasty. Basically, I'm calling them system RB's.

mre

Isn't this the truth? Truth be told, those RB's are more a product of their OL being pretty nasty. Basically, I'm calling them system RB's.
I don't think that's necessarily unfair. Arkansas' running game was vastly, vastly overrated last year. Looks like they were 5th in the SEC in AVG (best metric) and 4th in YPG.

Speaking of Fowler, he's another back that I loved watching truck guys. It's a shame he hasn't been able to run it like he used to as a FR/SO since his injury. Here's his HS film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MtQVV4vI5Q

andycapps

I don't think that's necessarily unfair. Arkansas' running game was vastly, vastly overrated last year. Looks like they were 5th in the SEC in AVG (best metric) and 4th in YPG.

Agreed, I remember being really worried about it prior to the Arky game and then didn't really think they were anything special afterwards. Certainly competent but nothing spectacular. Their defense has improved a lot though.

LSU is currently looking at candidates for defensive coordinator since Chavis left. One of them is the Zooker. :jnc As much as we've made fun of the guy over the years, it wouldn't be a horrible hire if it did work out. He's a heck of a recruiter and is a decent defensive mind.

mre

So we just gave a 6'0", 183 lb. receiver (Parker Barrineau) a scholarship for his senior year.

We must have a ton of kids paying their own way or not actually on scholarship counting against the 85 for Saban to do this prior to NSD. Really not sure how the hell that works out. I am stumped.

So we just gave a 6'0", 183 lb. receiver (Parker Barrineau) a scholarship for his senior year.

We must have a ton of kids paying their own way or not actually on scholarship counting against the 85 for Saban to do this prior to NSD. Really not sure how the hell that works out. I am stumped.

Not sure about football, but I know for a fact there are other sports that offer half-scholarships. Perhaps a lot of Bama players are on those.

Don't think that's common for football if it is even done at all. I've never heard of it, at any rate.

Well, football and basketball have a well rounded number of scholarships ( 85 and 13 respectively ), so its hard to say if they are allowed to break up those scholarships.

It becomes necessary to break up scholarships in other NCAA DI sports. Mens tennis and golf allot 4.5 scholarships, baseball 11.7 scholarships, track and field 12.6 scholarships etc.

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Well, football and basketball have a well rounded number of scholarships ( 85 and 13 respectively ), so its hard to say if they are allowed to break up those scholarships.

It becomes necessary to break up scholarships in other NCAA DI sports. Mens tennis and golf allot 4.5 scholarships, baseball 11.7 scholarships, track and field 12.6 scholarships etc.

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html

Actually, now that I think about it I think that even a player receiving a partial scholarship in football still counts as a full counter as far as scholarship limits, so pretty much everybody gets a full scholarship.

Football and Basketball have a few different rules that they follow that other sports don't. For example, if a player is on the football or basketball team they have to either receive a football/basketball scholarship or have no scholarship at all. This is to keep teams from stocking, for example, their track or baseball teams with football players that are garbage track/baseball athletes. You could, however, be on the baseball team if you are receiving a track scholarship and no baseball scholarship.

::edit::
Wikipedia backs me up on the "partial scholarships are full counters for football" thing but doesn't have a direct link to the rule.

mre

Actually, now that I think about it I think that even a player receiving a partial scholarship in football still counts as a full counter as far as scholarship limits, so pretty much everybody gets a full scholarship.
::edit::
Wikipedia backs me up on the "partial scholarships are full counters for football" thing but doesn't have a direct link to the rule.
I don't know the specific rule either, but this is correct.
Football and Basketball have a few different rules that they follow that other sports don't. For example, if a player is on the football or basketball team they have to either receive a football/basketball scholarship or have no scholarship at all. This is to keep teams from stocking, for example, their track or baseball teams with football players that are garbage track/baseball athletes. You could, however, be on the baseball team if you are receiving a track scholarship and no baseball scholarship.
By my understanding of the rules, this isn't technically correct, even though what you wrote is, for all practical intents and purposes, how it ends up working. The university can have a kid on a track scholarship play football or basketball. It's irrelevant how the university's book keeping records the scholarship. However, even kids who receive a scholarship for another sport count against your scholarship limit for football (and basketball) if they play football. So I'm not sure why a school would, essentially, burn 2 scholarships (football and track) in that scenario. But they could do it that way.

I've looked at our numbers and I have no clue how Saban just gave that kid a scholarship. I just went through our recruits for the past 5 seasons and did my best to eliminate those players who are no longer with the team. Here's what I came up with:

2010 (RS Seniors) (bolded means they're gone after this season)
DeAndrew White
Jarrick Williams
Arie Kouandjio
Jalston Fowler
Brian Vogler
Nick Perry
Blake Sims
Austin Shepherd
Brandon Ivory

2011 (Seniors, RS Juniors) (6)
Trey DePriest
Xavier Dickson

Bradley Sylve
Michael Faciane
D.J. Pettway
Ryan Kelly
Christion Jones
Jabriel Washington
Isaac Luatua

2011 (Juniors, RS Sophomores) (16)
Landon Collins
TJ Yeldon

Reggie Ragland
Cyrus Jones
Chris Black
Amari Cooper
Geno Smith
Ryan Anderson
Dillon Lee
Brandon Greene
Kenyan Drake
Denzel Devall
Korren Kirven
Dalvin Tomlinson
Alphonse Taylor
Dakota Ball
Alec Morris
Darren Lake
Adam Griffith

2013 (Sophomores, RS Freshmen) (21)
Reuben Foster
Derrick Henry
Jonathan Allen
O.J. Howard
Robert Foster
A’Shawn Robinson
Dee Liner
Altee Tenpenny
Grant Hill
Tyren Jones
Cooper Bateman
Tim Williams
Maurice Smith
ArDarius Stewart
Anthony Averett
Leon Brown (JUCO)
Eddie Jackson
Raheem Falkins
Bradley Bozeman
Jonathan Cook
Walker Jones (non-scholarship?)
Cole Mazza

2014 (Freshmen) (25)
Cameron Robinson
Da’Shawn Hand
Tony Brown
Marlon Humphrey
Rashaan Evans
Christian Miller
Laurence “Hootie” Jones
Ronnie Clark
Ross Pierschbacher
David Cornwell
Cameron Sims
Josh Frazier
Dominick Jackson (JUCO)
JC Hassenauer
Shaun Hamilton
Derek Kief
Jarran Reed (JUCO)
DJ Pettway (JUCO)
Joshua Casher
Keith Holcombe
O.J. Smith
Johnny Dwight
Ty-Flournoy Smith (JUCO)
JK Scott
Bo Scarbrough

By my count, that's 68 spots already taken, 69 if you count Taylor who is supposedly back-counting to 2014. I think we're on track to bring in another full class of 25, so somewhere in this roster we have 10 players (including the scholarship given to Barrineau) who either (1) Saban already knows will not be back next year; (2) aren't on scholarship at the moment anyway; or (3) will grey-shirt rather than enrolling this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom