• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
While we're talking about recruiting. It's looking more and more like the Longhorns are about to lose a 5 star linebacker to .... DC-less A&M.

Ganhyun

I have no idea how you could be happy with that much rain. Maybe someone from Seattle can weigh in?

Yeah I'm not sure how much good sand does with ice. I know it's going to make it a brown slushy mess. What these cities like Atlanta should do is work out a deal with another city to borrow their trucks and drivers when a big storm is coming and pay them a ton of money to do so. Would be cheaper than employing those people and maintaining those trucks for the years you don't need them.

The idea behind sand is it gives traction on the ice. The problem that Atlanta has is that they dont have enough trucks to apply the required multiple layers of sand. The sand works great, until a layer of ice forms over it and you need another layer of sand.

But I agree that Atlanta should pay for extra trucks from another city when they need them. What happened earlier this year with all of I285 being shut down was ridiculous. Of course, I remember leaving work at 2:30 and getting home at 6:30 that day too due to traffic. I laugh now, because the big boss, who lives 3 miles away from the office, was upset that everyone left and said everyone was just overreacting to the snow. He also got mad that most of the office was stuck working from home for the next 4 days too. .

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Texas just landed a 2 star OL yesterday. We'll take what we can get

It's that fell-through-the-cracks and late-bloomer time of year. I know Tech has sent out some offers to 2-stars and no-stars over the last week or so that didn't have any P5 offers until the last few weeks but now they have 4 or 5 and are expecting a few more.

While we're talking about recruiting. It's looking more and more like the Longhorns are about to lose a 5 star linebacker to .... DC-less A&M.

Malik Jefferson, I assume? I've been under the impression that A&M has been his leader for pretty much his entire recruitment.

andycapps

Well then. I retract my surprising statement then. :p

Man, who knows what these 17 and 18 year olds would do. The "experts" are wrong oftentimes, and these kids change their minds. As long as we can hang onto Trenton Thompson and not let Saban steal him from us, I'm good. I think he's pretty solid though.

The idea behind sand is it gives traction on the ice. The problem that Atlanta has is that they dont have enough trucks to apply the required multiple layers of sand. The sand works great, until a layer of ice forms over it and you need another layer of sand.

But I agree that Atlanta should pay for extra trucks from another city when they need them. What happened earlier this year with all of I285 being shut down was ridiculous. Of course, I remember leaving work at 2:30 and getting home at 6:30 that day too due to traffic. I laugh now, because the big boss, who lives 3 miles away from the office, was upset that everyone left and said everyone was just overreacting to the snow. He also got mad that most of the office was stuck working from home for the next 4 days too. .

The sand makes sense, but I would think it would be better to actually melt the ice. If it's too cold then it gets tricky, but I don't think I've seen sand up here used to fight ice. Usually here they'll pretreat the roads with some type of liquid. I think it's Liquid Calcium Chloride or Liquid Magnesium Chloride, works really well.

eznark

Banned
Eznark, did you read this article by Adam Hoge?

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2014/12/11/7380709/barry-alvarez-wisconsin-gary-andersen-paul-chryst

Very good one. Seems like his thought mimic yours.

Yeah, he pretty much nails every point I've been making for 18 months. Andersen was just drowning. I'd personally have fired him when he insinuated Stave was having a psychotic break, but that's because I know college athletes have no real recourse to fight that stuff. The fact that Andersen was able to turn that "yips" bullshit into the narrative is fucking abhorrent. He had lost some confidence (and who wouldn't after getting benched for fucking McEvoy) but was by every single account the best QB in spring.

I'm personally convinced Barry told Andersen to start looking for work in October.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Looking at the 2 QB's stats for this year. No wonder Ya'll rode Gordon and the running team into the ground. Both QBs with 115 QB ratings. That's LSU's Anthony Jennings level, and he was shit tier.

KingGondo

Banned
Hugh Freeze received a pay raise from $3.15 million to $4.3 million.

Finishing 3rd in the SEC West = $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I should have been a football coach.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
According to the police report, Tyreek Hill's girlfriend is 8 weeks pregnant with his baby. The alleged assault includes a punch to her stomach. During the arrest he apparently said he was being arrested because he's black and she's white.

Wow.

KingGondo

Banned
According to the police report, Tyreek Hill's girlfriend is 8 weeks pregnant with his baby. The alleged assault includes a punch to her stomach. During the arrest he apparently said he was being arrested because he's black and she's white.

Wow.
Yeah.

Such a weird deal. Less than a week ago he was a hero, then he does this.

Assuming it's true (which it appears to be) then he deserves to get the book thrown at him. I feel sorry for the unborn kid too. Bad situation all around.

andycapps

Wow.

Yeah it couldn't have been because the officer saw injuries on her left eye, upper lip, neck, and right cheek. Heck of a time to try to pull the race card. I'm not saying it's not justified in other situations, but in this case, seems ridiculous.

Ganhyun

The sand makes sense, but I would think it would be better to actually melt the ice. If it's too cold then it gets tricky, but I don't think I've seen sand up here used to fight ice. Usually here they'll pretreat the roads with some type of liquid. I think it's Liquid Calcium Chloride or Liquid Magnesium Chloride, works really well.

Considering they didn't start salting/sanding/whatever until noon the day it was hitting (people were already hitting the roads to go get kids, leave work, etc. by then), obviously no one planned ahead and thought that maybe they should prep the roads for the winter storm coming in.

Although I seem to recall there being a big disparity in what the local weathermen/weatherwomen/weatherpriests were calling for versus what the big names at The Weather Channel were saying, so that probably fed into it.

Jhriad

I'm a little amused at the weird 4-way going on between Oregon State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Pitt. Interesting stuff.

Kind of miraculous given where Pitt was.

If Chryst's run at Pitt was miraculous how would you describe Dave Wannstedt's last three years? All three were better than any under Chryst including one that was Pitt's best season since the 80's.

andycapps

Considering they didn't start salting/sanding/whatever until noon the day it was hitting (people were already hitting the roads to go get kids, leave work, etc. by then), obviously no one planned ahead and thought that maybe they should prep the roads for the winter storm coming in.

Although I seem to recall there being a big disparity in what the local weathermen/weatherwomen/weatherpriests were calling for versus what the big names at The Weather Channel were saying, so that probably fed into it.

Right.

Sakerlina has sold 700 of their 8k bowl allotment for the Independence Bowl in Shreveport against Miami. Least attended bowl game ever, potentially? We know Miami will hardly bring anyone, they don't even come to home games.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
He's clearly just an idiot. There's a reason he had to go the JUCO route even though he's a world-class athlete.

Tech struck out on two JUCO WRs a few weeks ago, but other than those guys we have basically completely stopped recruiting JUCOs for now. Too many troubles with previous signees, and one OL we got a commit from early in this class ended up not playing football this fall to get his grades in order and apparently STILL didn't manage it.

I think our staff is just really sick of dealing with them. Trouble qualifying out of JUCO, trouble with motivation in the classroom when they arrive, trouble with motivation on the field, etc.

I think it's telling that there are only 4 DL on our current roster that will still be around after next season yet we are still only recruiting high schoolers in this class. 2 of the 4 are 225 lbs or less, one of the others moved from OL only about a month ago, and the last has been too out of shape to contribute much thus far. We're heading towards potential DL depth armageddon in 2016 (and possibly even in 2015 if a couple of our current JUCO players don't get straightened up in the classroom) and the staff really isn't looking at JUCOs at all.

Tech struck out on two JUCO WRs a few weeks ago, but other than those guys we have basically completely stopped recruiting JUCOs for now. Too many troubles with previous signees, and one OL we got a commit from early in this class ended up not playing football this fall to get his grades in order and apparently STILL didn't manage it.

I think our staff is just really sick of dealing with them. Trouble qualifying out of JUCO, trouble with motivation in the classroom when they arrive, trouble with motivation on the field, etc.

I think it's telling that there are only 4 DL on our current roster that will still be around after next season yet we are still only recruiting high schoolers in this class. 2 of the 4 are 225 lbs or less, one of the others moved from OL only about a month ago, and the last has been too out of shape to contribute much thus far. We're heading towards potential DL depth armageddon in 2016 and the staff really isn't looking at JUCOs at all.

The grand master wizard fields a team almost exclusively Ju-Co. We need to do an undercover case study on snyder to see how he does it

Draxal

It's because KSU allows kinesiology classes to count, while some universities don't. I know for a fact that RU is really hard for jucos to qualify so we rarely bother.

KingGondo

Banned

I think it's telling that there are only 4 DL on our current roster that will still be around after next season yet we are still only recruiting high schoolers in this class. 2 of the 4 are 225 lbs or less, one of the others moved from OL only about a month ago, and the last has been too out of shape to contribute much thus far. We're heading towards potential DL depth armageddon in 2016 (and possibly even in 2015 if a couple of our current JUCO players don't get straightened up in the classroom) and the staff really isn't looking at JUCOs at all.
We very rarely go the JuCo route, but Tyreek had offers from damn near everyone in the country, including Bama and FSU (insert FSU joke here).

Draxal

Source:

4 Divisions of 5 = 20 team conference

DIV A (the old Big 8)
ISU
KSU
KU
OU
OSU

DIV B (all Texas)
TEX
TTCH
BAY
TCU
HOUST

DIV C
BYU
CO ST
NM
RICE
SDSU

DIV D
WVU
CINCI
MEMPH
UCF
USF

A and B are paired / C and D are paird

Basketball = home and home against div. (10), 5 games against partner div.
Football = 9 - all teams in your partner divisions

Best record in A/B plays best record in C/D for champ game

Basketball = 16 team playoff, bottom teams in each division left out

Source:

4 Divisions of 5 = 20 team conference

DIV A (the old Big 8)
ISU
KSU
KU
OU
OSU

DIV B (all Texas)
TEX
TTCH
BAY
TCU
HOUST

DIV C
BYU
CO ST
NM
RICE
SDSU

DIV D
WVU
CINCI
MEMPH
UCF
USF

Sounds like fun. What is your "source"?

Also, would be a great retaliation for the Big 12. Going from a conference too small to have a CCG according to the NCAA, to a conference too large for the NCAA to handle

Poster from one of the Cinci boards, I don't believe this will happen at all.

It would never work. At the very least, the divisional pod pairs would need to rotate. Otherwise, you have 10 teams that have almost nothing to do with the other 10, and yet somehow they're supposed to believe they're equal partners? What about TV revenue? If 2 pods consistently draw more viewers than the other 2, they're going to demand a bigger slice of the pie or split off.

Even with rotating pairs, you still basically have two different conferences having their seasons and then at best a playoff play-in game, which could very well turn into a knock-out game.

Karl2177

Why not rotate which pod is paired with another?

Also, "16 team playoff, bottom teams in each division left out" sorry Okie Lite.

Source:

DIV C
BYU
CO ST
NM
RICE
SDSU

DIV D
WVU
CINCI
MEMPH
UCF
USF

SUPER FUCKING EXCITING SCHEDULE WOO

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
So much crazy stuff happened over the past week and I have been oblivious to it all, thanks to the birth of my first baby girl!

Born on Monday, here is our little Emeline Julia:

2ajspoc.jpg

Bonus picture with my whole brood:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom