• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well at least we get SEC officials for FSU vs Oregon. I have no idea what to think of Big XII officials doing the championship game. Do they have a reputation?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Think we all take turns in believing how terrible these ref crews are. SEC's are no different.

Piggus

Think we all take turns in believing how terrible these ref crews are. SEC's are no different.

True. The only real difference I've noticed is Pac-12 refs seem to call pass interference (for better or for worse) more often. But maybe that's just me.

jjasper

SEC's are probably right behind PAC 12 when it comes to shittiness. Without fail they are always at their worst when the game is on the line too. They have made way too many calls the last 2 years that has directly impacted the outcomes of games.

Also they are terrible when it comes to replays.

AntoneM

SEC's are probably right behind PAC 12 when it comes to shittiness. Without fail they are always at their worst when the game is on the line too. They have made way too many calls the last 2 years that has directly impacted the outcomes of games.

Also they are terrible when it comes to replays.

At leas they didn't put an alumni AND booster of one of the schools into the replay box *cough* Jim Fogltance *cough*

cdyhybrid

$9.95 says Jim Mora has reached out to Michigan's AD and wants out of UCLA. But he's second on their list behind Jim Harbaugh, who isn't going back to college.

ryan-ts

$9.95 says Jim Mora has reached out to Michigan's AD and wants out of UCLA. But he's second on their list behind Jim Harbaugh, who isn't going back to college.

We'll see. Harbaugh rumours, from people with actual UofM contacts, became very specific as of 9pm last night. Mora would still be an excellent choice if Harbaugh doesn't pan out.

andycapps

We'll see. Harbaugh rumours, from people with actual UofM contacts, became very specific as of 9pm last night. Mora would still be an excellent choice if Harbaugh doesn't pan out.

I don't see why he'd leave the 49'ers. While they're not making the playoffs this year, I don't see why a coach would leave a good place in the NFL to come to college and have to work much harder 365 days a year. I guess being his alma mater may be enough. I always thought Miles was more likely to go to Michigan.

I don't see why he'd leave the 49'ers. While they're not making the playoffs this year, I don't see why a coach would leave a good place in the NFL to come to college and have to work much harder 365 days a year. I guess being his alma mater may be enough. I always thought Miles was more likely to go to Michigan.

Agreed, and I don't quite understand why U-M fans seem to want Harbaugh more than Miles, considering Miles has significantly more success in college football than Harbaugh.

tokkun

Him leaving the 49ers is sort of an independent issue. It has been rumored all season, and it's not an issue with on-the-field performance, it's because he has a bad relationship with the higher ups in the organization.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Him leaving the 49ers is sort of an independent issue. It has been rumored all season, and it's not an issue with on-the-field performance, it's because he has a bad relationship with the higher ups in the organization.

It hasn't just been rumored all season, it's been rumored for multiple seasons. They started during the Super Bowl season I believe, his second season there, and I know they were in full swing during his third season (to the point that he was nearly traded to the Browns this past offseason). He may even be traded to the Raiders this coming offseason.

Must be a hell of a work environment if the guy has gone to three straight conference championship games and his seat is still piping hot.

Draxal

I'm pretty sure Harbaugh wants complete control, complete control usually only happens in college, which is why Saban will never go to the NFL again.

andycapps

Agreed, and I don't quite understand why U-M fans seem to want Harbaugh more than Miles, considering Miles has significantly more success in college football than Harbaugh.

Exactly.

Which ties into the above post from Bertram, Miles has significantly more success in college than Harbaugh does. I have heard about him having issues with the 49'ers brass. Why wouldn't Michigan see that as a red flag and go for someone like Miles as their first choice since he has a proven record of success in college and no record of being hard to work with?

Draxal

Which ties into the above post from Bertram, Miles has significantly more success in college than Harbaugh does. I have heard about him having issues with the 49'ers brass. Why wouldn't Michigan see that as a red flag and go for someone like Miles as their first choice since he has a proven record of success in college and no record of being hard to work with?

Striking out on Miles will be very bad, but striking out on an NFL coach isn't. It's common for college coaches to flame out in the NFL due to lack of personnel control. OBC, Saban, Motorcycle rider.

ryan-ts

Neither Miles or Mullen have been contacted by UM.... Plan A is obviously Harbaugh and Plan B must be set in stone... otherwise the search firm is incompetent.

re:Miles - Apparently there's division among decision makers/donors regarding Miles. I would be thrilled to see him coach the Wolverines. My only reservation would be that Louisiana has a lot more talent than Michigan. How does he handle recruiting that forces him to repeatedly look outside his own state?

Gruden re-ups with ESPNhttp://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/303956/jon-gruden-re-ups-with-espn-through-2021

There's another pipe dream coach Michigan and Florida fans can cross off their list.

I think he will leave the 49ers but he's not coming back to college. Harbaugh just doesn't have the kind of personality that works long term in college.

Lonestar

The Orange Bowl is going to allow the Cowbells in the stadium...

miss-state-cowbell.gif

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Gruden re-ups with ESPNhttp://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/303956/jon-gruden-re-ups-with-espn-through-2021

There's another pipe dream coach Michigan and Florida fans can cross off their list.
I wish people would just leave him out of coaching conversations forever. It's been pretty clear the past few years that he wasn't really interested in going back to coaching IMO.

I think he will leave the 49ers but he's not coming back to college. Harbaugh just doesn't have the kind of personality that works long term in college.
Apparently he doesn't have the kind of personality that works long term in the NFL, either.

I wish people would just leave him out of coaching conversations forever. It's been pretty clear the past few years that he wasn't really interested in going back to coaching IMO.

Apparently he doesn't have the kind of personality that works long term in the NFL, either.

Well I was thinking more specifically that Harbaugh doesn't like recruiting and schmoozing, which are things he doesn't have to do as much in the NFL, but yeah when you go to 3 straight conference title games and still have issues with your bosses that's kind of a problem.

Harbaugh might end up being the kind of guy that stays at a job 3-4 years and moves on (or is moved on, as the case may be), which isn't particularly atypical in the pro ranks. As a coach, if you're not firing them, they're firing you.

The 49ers seem to run off successful coaches, though. They ran Seifert out of town for Mariucci, then ran him out of town, too. Afterwards, they went completely in the tank and went through 3 or 4 more coaches (lost count, but I recall Dennis Erickson, the guy that wanted to wear a suit, and Mike Singletary) before getting Harbaugh. And now the cycle looks to continue, hopefully with better results than some of the other transitions.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Man,

Yesterday was a tough recruiting day for the horns.. I mean, we got Cherry, but still a bad day overall.

But thank god for Texas Tech. The Schadenfreude will get me to Friday.

At which point Charlie Strong will somehow lose a LB recruit to a team without a defense coordinator and a head coach who has never recruited a defensive NFL draft pick, and currently possesses the worst defense in the SEC despite being littered with 4 and 5 star recruits already.

Harbaugh might end up being the kind of guy that stays at a job 3-4 years and moves on (or is moved on, as the case may be), which isn't particularly atypical in the pro ranks. As a coach, if you're not firing them, they're firing you.
That's the other thing about Harbaugh.

Say Michigan snags him and he's wildly successful and turns the entire ship around. Realistically, how long would he stay there before taking another stab at the NFL?

Tamanon

Banned
Congrats to Justin Hardy on making it Third Team All-American. Dude has been a stud. Was a walk on in his first year and broke the all-time receptions record. Not too shabby!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That's the other thing about Harbaugh.

Say Michigan snags him and he's wildly successful and turns the entire ship around. Realistically, how long would he stay there before taking another stab at the NFL?

Who cares? The coaching search is way easier when you have a successful program and not a poofire.

Who cares? The coaching search is way easier when you have a successful program and not a poofire.

When was the last time a successful big name program was looking for a coach? Seems like its only really happened recently under circumstances like USC/OSU where whoever was hired came in knowing they would have to handle sanctions. The last non sanction related instance I can really think of was Miles taking over for Saban at LSU.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
When was the last time a successful big name program was looking for a coach? Seems like its only really happened recently under circumstances like USC/OSU where whoever was hired came in knowing they would have to handle sanctions. The last non sanction related instance I can really think of was Miles taking over for Saban at LSU.
Auburn?

Florida after Urban?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Excluding USC and tOSU seems arbitrary.

Even still, none of this is relevant. If Harbaugh comes in, turns things around in 2 years and makes Michigan competitive again, then abandons them for the NFL return, Michigan should say thank you very much Jim! You helped us out of a bind.

Because they would be set up to succeed with a much wider range of coaches.

Turning around big programs is hard.

If Kiffin had turned Tennessee around before dumping them,he wouldn't need security while in Knoxville.

Excluding USC and tOSU seems arbitrary.

Even still, none of this is relevant. If Harbaugh comes in, turns things around in 2 years and makes Michigan competitive again, then abandons them for the NFL return, Michigan should say thank you very much Jim! You helped us out of a bind.

Because they would be set up to succeed with a much wider range of coaches.

Turning around big programs is hard.

If Kiffin had turned Tennessee around before dumping them,he wouldn't need security while in Knoxville.

Well look at who both hired, Kiffin and Fickell. Those are not the kinds of hires that elite programs, coming off winning seasons make unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Here are the top 10 D1 teams by wins:

1. Michigan
2. Notre Dame
3. Texas
4. Nebraska
5. Ohio State
6. Oklahoma
7. Alabama
8. Tennessee
9. USC
10. Georgia

And here are their records the year of their most recent coaching change:

1. Dick Rod 7-5 -> Brady Hoke
2. Charlie Weiss 6-6 -> Brian Kelly
3. Mack Brown 8-5 -> Charlie Strong
4. Bill Callahan 5-7 -> Bo Pelini
5. Jim Tressel 12-1 -> Luke Fickell
6. John Blake 3-5 -> Bob Stoops
7. Mike Shula 6-6 -> Nick Saban
8. Derek Dooley 4-7 -> Butch Jones
9. Pete Carroll 9-4 -> Lane Kiffin
10. Jim Donnan 8-4 -> Mark Richt

Bo Pelini, Luke Fickell, Mark Richt and Bob Stoops were first time head coaches. Kiffin and Hoke both had losing records as head coaches (although Kiffin had a winning record as a college head coach). Charlie Strong, Nick Saban, Brian Kelly and Butch Jones were all established coaches with winning records at their previous jobs. Strong, Jones and Kelly were all coaches at lesser schools and Saban fled from the NFL.

I spent so much time researching all this I forgot where I was going with it...

Oh right, usually the premier jobs open up when the program is in the toilet or has been non championship tier for awhile.

Lonestar

Well look at who both hired, Kiffin and Fickell. Those are not the kinds of hires that elite programs, coming off winning seasons make unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Here are the top 10 D1 teams by wins:

1. Michigan
2. Notre Dame
3. Texas
4. Nebraska
5. Ohio State
6. Oklahoma
7. Alabama
8. Tennessee
9. USC
10. Georgia

And here are their records the year of their most recent coaching change:

1. Dick Rod 7-5 -> Brady Hoke
2. Charlie Weiss 6-6 -> Brian Kelly
3. Mack Brown 8-5 -> Charlie Strong
4. Bill Callahan 5-7 -> Bo Pelini
5. Jim Tressel 12-1 -> Luke Fickell
6. John Blake 3-5 -> Bob Stoops
7. Mike Shula 6-6 -> Nick Saban
8. Derek Dooley 4-7 -> Butch Jones
9. Pete Carroll 9-4 -> Lane Kiffin
10. Jim Donnan 8-4 -> Mark Richt

Bo Pelini, Luke Fickell, Mark Richt and Bob Stoops were first time head coaches. Kiffin and Hoke both had losing records as head coaches (although Kiffin had a winning record as a college head coach). Charlie Strong, Nick Saban, Brian Kelly and Butch Jones were all established coaches with winning records at their previous jobs. Strong, Jones and Kelly were all coaches at lesser schools and Saban fled from the NFL.

I spent so much time researching all this I forgot where I was going with it...

Oh right, usually the premier jobs open up when the program is in the toilet or has been non championship tier for awhile.

Alabama's #t-4 with 874 wins, unless you believe that the NCAA isn't a corrupt governing body.

There's also the fact that 2 of the winningest coaches of all time, left with their programs outside of the top 10 (Bowden and Paterno, with the latter getting 15 some odd years deleted). Florida and LSU also isn't in the Top 10, and they have Spurrier and Saban leaving to the NFL from successful jobs.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Purple Cheeto, this whole discussion started because BertramCooper was questioning a Harbaugh hire based on him leaving soon after righting the ship.

To which I say, at that point, who cares if he leaves once the ship is righted? Turning the program around is the hardest part.

The potential of Harbaugh leaving like he did from Stanford should not keep Michigan from hiring him.

Alabama's #t-4 with 874 wins, unless you believe that the NCAA isn't a corrupt governing body.

There's also the fact that 2 of the winningest coaches of all time, left with their programs outside of the top 10 (Bowden and Paterno, with the latter getting 15 some odd years deleted). Florida and LSU also isn't in the Top 10, and they have Spurrier and Saban leaving to the NFL from successful jobs.

I went by win totals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_football_teams_by_wins not by win %.

Purple Cheeto, this whole discussion started because BertramCooper was questioning a Harbaugh hire based on him leaving soon after righting the ship.

To which I say, at that point, who cares if he leaves once the ship is righted? Turning the program around is the hardest part.

The potential of Harbaugh leaving like he did from Stanford should not keep Michigan from hiring him.

I guess, but the question then becomes if they can sustain the momentum once Harbaugh is gone. Stanford was good for 3 years after Harbaugh left and now that they're largely devoid of Harbaugh related talent (both in players and coaching) they've started to falter.

From 1990-2000 (the decade before Pete Carroll) USC never won more than 9 games, went 6-6 twice, and had a losing record twice. Since Pete left they've had 3 sub 10 win seasons in 5 years.

So lets say Harbaugh comes in, and goes all Nick Saban in his first two years at Bama, and then goes back to the NFL given that history suggests its hard to sustain momentum after losing an elite coach, would those 2 years really be worth it?

Lonestar

I'm going by wins totaled too, REAL FUCKING wins. Not some cockamamie bullshit NCAA standings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom