• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ganhyun

Again, for those who missed it:

Yahoo! Bowl Pick 'Em

As is our tradition, we will be participating in the Yahoo! Bowl Pick 'Em. We play for pride, the right to name the off-season thread, and the bonus of permabanning one Georgia Tech fan of your choice.

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/bowl/group/10487
password:
freebluemax

If that link gives you an error, go here: http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/bowl/register/joinprivategroup and enter 10487 as the "group id".

This got me in, thanks.

Wait, Miami got away with putting players on track scholarships and walking on to football?

Know you can't do that now. Play on the football team while under a different sport scholarship, you take up a scholarship spot on the football team.

They gave them football scholarships

Piggus

Great video highlighting Mariota's career:

http://vimeo.com/114294382

I really don't know how anyone could keep a straight face while trying to argue that he shouldn't have won the Heisman.

He was a 2* recruit in some places as well :-O

lol Scout

Also the lowest rated player in Oregon's admittedly good 2011 class:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school?id=2483&class=2011

Haha wow at Scout. It's actually amazing how skinny he looked in his younger days. Amazing the player that he's become, though he was brilliant from the 2011 spring game forward.

Kevtones

It's weird to think Darron Thomas would start at QB over anyone with a pulse.

He was 1-0 and outplayed Russell 'spike' Wilson in their only meeting though <3

That said, the arena team in Portland has two QBs with pulses unfortunately :(

Also&#8230; Jarrett Stidham is now a de-commit an hour after Mariota's Heisman victory? Holy shit dividends.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Crazy. He was the cornerstone of their class.

Kliff is gonna be under a ton of pressure if they don't improve next season.

Has to help our chances of getting Tyron Johnson.

This story is really weird right now. Apparently he hasn't been living with his parents for a while, and they've been really pushing hard for him to go out of state (Oregon?). He IS living with a guy that is a Tech alum but that guy has been pushing him towards Baylor. Took Stidham on a trip down to Waco with him a few months ago when he opened up a new branch of his sporting goods store there. Lot of other rumors and such out there but I don't want to post a bunch of mudslinging without real proof.

Long story short, though, he apparently has a lot bigger issues going on in his life right now than football.

KingGondo

Banned
This story is really weird right now. Apparently he hasn't been living with his parents for a while, and they've been really pushing hard for him to go out of state (Oregon?). He IS living with a guy that is a Tech alum but that guy has been pushing him towards Baylor. Took Stidham on a trip down to Waco with him a few months ago when he opened up a new branch of his sporting goods store there. Lot of other rumors and such out there but I don't want to post a bunch of mudslinging without real proof.

Long story short, though, he apparently has a lot bigger issues going on in his life right now than football.
Weird. Feel free to post new info here, I won't call you a creep for posting recruiting updates. ;)

ag-my001

Thanks for setting up the pick'em for the bowls, mre, and thanks to TTK for his years of service.

A reminder to our newer participants: if you don't put your home school at the full 39 points, you will be mocked, no matter how much logic and evidence you have to back up your cowardice.

Ganhyun

I believe Yahoo locks them at kickoff, so you can change until then. Once a game starts, both your pick and the points are locked in. By default, the earliest games are at the lowest points.

Thanks for this info! I assume thats why the final matchup isnt pickable yet.

andycapps

Awful news out of Auburn this morning.

That's the same apartment complex in the 2012 shooting, too.

Sad stuff, saw this over the weekend. Seems like they have issues at that apartment complex.

UGA got some good news over the weekend when Malcolm Mitchell, Leonard Floyd, John Theus, and Jordan Jenkins said they're coming back for their senior seasons. I think they all made good decisions to return, Floyd has lots of talent but needs to improve his ability to handle the run. Jenkins needs to be more consistent and disruptive. Theus needs another solid year at LT. Mitchell needs to stay injury free and put up good stats next year.

Also, Kolton Houston (he of the 3 year debacle with NCAA over a substance a Dr injected him with in highschool) was granted a 6th year of eligibility. So we will have 4 returning offensive linemen of which 2 will be seniors, just replacing our center, David Andrews. Andrews was elected by teammates as the MVP on Saturday and voted permanent captain for this year's team, so may have a little drop off there with a new player.

@BruceFeldmanCFB 14m14 minutes ago
BREAKING #OhioState OC Tom Herman is expected to become the new head coach at #Houston, source told @FoxSports.

Wonder how true the rumor is that the Bama game will be his last regardless of win. IDK how someone would want to (or how they would let him leave) if theres a chance at a title.

Again, for those who missed it:

Yahoo! Bowl Pick 'Em

As is our tradition, we will be participating in the Yahoo! Bowl Pick 'Em. We play for pride, the right to name the off-season thread, and the bonus of permabanning one Georgia Tech fan of your choice.

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/bowl/group/10487
password:
freebluemax

If that link gives you an error, go here: http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/bowl/register/joinprivategroup and enter 10487 as the "group id".

Might have missed it, but how is the CCG handled? It won't let me pick anything so I sunk it down to 1pt for the time being.

george_us

Goddammit. What Herman's done with this offense, especially this year, has been nothing short of remarkable. I was hope he'd at least wait until next year to leave but can't blame him. Good luck, coach.

Draxal

@BruceFeldmanCFB 14m14 minutes ago
BREAKING #OhioState OC Tom Herman is expected to become the new head coach at #Houston, source told @FoxSports.

Wonder how true the rumor is that the Bama game will be his last regardless of win. IDK how someone would want to (or how they would let him leave) if theres a chance at a title.

Dead season is now, think it won't be after the Bama game.

Supposedly he's taking some coaches with him.

He was going to go somewhere. There were just too many open positions around the country for a coach of his caliber to stay where he was.

Everyone knew he was likely gone, but we had a glimmer of hope that he was going to stay around for one more year.

He really deserves a better job than Houston. I'm surprised he wasn't talked about more for vacancies at P5 programs.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Everyone knew he was likely gone, but we had a glimmer of hope that he was going to stay around for one more year.

He really deserves a better job than Houston. I'm surprised he wasn't talked about more for vacancies at P5 programs.
Any thought that Miller might go with him?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

Seriously. I think a few schools missed the boat on him. Houston has always been known for their gaudy offensive numbers, so I am sure he will do well. Still wondering who the hell Michigan is going after...

Might have missed it, but how is the CCG handled? It won't let me pick anything so I sunk it down to 1pt for the time being.

I don't think you can choose it until you know who's in the game.

This is dumb. How can they ask us to reliably set confidence points right now on a game when we won't know the participants until most of the bowls are over? By the time we're even allowed to pick the winner of this game, almost all of our confidence points are going to be locked up.

As it stands right now the possible match-ups are ALA vs ORE, ALA vs FSU, OSU vs ORE, and OSU vs FSU. I would want different confidence points assigned for all of those match-ups. But they are asking us to set the points now, before we even know who is playing in the damn game.

I have it set at 5 points right now, because I figure I want it to be worth enough points to make a difference in the end. But I'm not sure if that is the right strategy. Picking the playoff winner really ought to be entirely separate from the rest of the bowl pick em.

Draxal

P5 schools want proven winners from other P5 schools or other G5 schools (or internal promotions in case your head coaches leaves for the NFL one day before LOI day). The AAC is going to be the incubator for the next batch of P5 head coaches with Morris and Herman.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
This is dumb. How can they ask us to reliably set confidence points right now on a game when we won't know the participants until most of the bowls are over? By the time we're even allowed to pick the winner of this game, almost all of our confidence points are going to be locked up.

As it stands right now the possible match-ups are ALA vs ORE, ALA vs FSU, OSU vs ORE, and OSU vs FSU. I would want different confidence points assigned for all of those match-ups. But they are asking us to set the points now, before we even know who is playing in the damn game.

I have it set at 5 points right now, because I figure I want it to be worth enough points to make a difference in the end. But I'm not sure if that is the right strategy. Picking the playoff winner really ought to be entirely separate from the rest of the bowl pick em.

Ttk wouldn't have this problem.

Draxal

Herman also was OC at Texas State and Rice before going to tOSU (and he was very good there, Meyer didn't make him one bit). Houston is bit of a homecoming for him.

I'd settle for Rose Bowl winner v. Sugar Bowl winner, honestly.

That's how the ESPN pick 'em works. You can pick "ALA / OSU" or "ORE / FSU". But just like the Yahoo pick 'em, you have to set the confidence points now before you really know who will be playing. And by the time you do know who is playing, you will have slim pickings left for confidence points to assign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom