• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

We can now see that the mere presence of a collegiate football program greatly enhances the student bodies vocabulary capabilities :(

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Nah man. I lived through the Dubose/Fran/Shula years. That level of suckiness is hopefully gone for good.

Those were the years that put hairs on your chest
or just be miserable during the fall months, hoping that Roy Adams would fall up a flight of stairs

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
quick, how many people here actually went to the university they root for :p

This assumes that we don't root for more than one team ;)
I still root for my DII undergrad even though we suck every year because it'shard to have a football filled with nothing but engineering and science majors :(

Currently a grad student at the one I root for.

Georgia Tech fandom.

Barely a blip.

I watched the game on the weekend and it was the first time I have seen Georgia Tech play, I have never seen the "triple option offence" before and it was very good to watch and I could see myself supporting a team that is trying to play differently.

I didnt post though as I was too busy watching the game.

The amount of time I spent on Scout boards tracking the university jet is embarrassing. I'm glad it finally got me street cred, though.

I watched the game on the weekend and it was the first time I have seen Georgia Tech play, I have never seen the "triple option offence" before and it was very good to watch and I could see myself supporting a team that is trying to play differently.

Cyan, chicko's account has been hacked.

Everyone used to run that offense back in the day. Oklahoma with Jamelle Holieway was a thing of beauty

So Jeff Long was on Sirius a few minutes ago, and he said a couple things that I think is new information:

- Said after looking at Ohio State's entire body of work, including how "complete and strong" they looked against Wisconsin with Cardale that it was "impossible" to keep them out.

- On the conference championship thing, suggested that it wasn't the lack of a championship game that did either TCU or Baylor in, it was the Big 12 presenting the committee with co-champions. He said they "emphasized conference champions", and that there were "four singular champions, and two co-champions presented by the Big 12", and that's the field they had to consider.

- He repeated the justification over TCU moving from 3 to 6 with the same line about the rankings being a week-to-week evaluation of how the teams have performed so far, but admitted that "fans are used to how polls have worked in the past", and that they could have made that more clear.

Those are the big things at I remember off the top of my head. So it sounds like OSU played their way in, and the Big 12 fence sitting actually did wind up keeping them out. Like I said, nothing we didn't necessarily know, but clarification I don't remember hearing from him before.

Piggus

So excited! Yay playoffs. Even losing the first round seems less of a big deal than losing the NC would be last year. So glad to be a fan of one of the teams in the first ever playoffs.

Yes sir, win or lose I feel like we've accomplished a ton.

AntoneM

My college don't have a football team. My JunCo was always in the top 5 in the nation.

The university was known for baseball

Fullerton?

Anyway, dropped out of NDSU but still have some Bison pride. Finished my undergrad at Arizona State, did some grad school at Gonzaga (basketball).

ulua

Nah man. I lived through the Dubose/Fran/Shula years. That level of suckiness is hopefully gone for good.

i had the pleasure of attending the university during the dubose era. when i got accepted into the school good ol mike price was our coach. oh how i dont miss those days. going to school there was still an amazing experience regardless of the shitty program we had at the time though

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
i had the pleasure of attending the university during the dubose era. when i got accepted into the school good ol mike price was our coach. oh how i dont miss those days. going to school there was still an amazing experience regardless of the shitty program we had at the time though
I'm confused. Dubose was before Price. How does one get accepted when Price is the coach yet attend when Dubose was the coach? Unless you're like Merlin and living your life backwards.

Dubose fucked his secretary then fucked the team up. Franchione left to go show Aggy how to hold the rope, because they like weird shit like that. Then Price was here for a spring before he decided to show Destiny how the Tide rolls. Then Shula was the only sucker who didn't step back when Mal Moore asked for volunteers so he became the coach even though he was supremely unqualified for the job. Then local radio guys made fun of Rich Rod's wife, Rita, by referring to her as the "Crypt Keeper," which led to the job going to Saban.

Branduil

People are only talking about the Big XII because they got left out. If Georgia Tech had upset FSU and Arizona had beat Oregon, there would be two Big XII teams in the playoff and we'd be talking about how conferences shouldn't have championship games since it just gives you a chance to screw your conference out of a playoff spot.

Meanwhile the real reason is simple math, that you can't put 5 into 4.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I was at FSU from 01-05 for undergrad, and until 07 for grad, meaning all four of my undegrad years were Chris Rix years, and Jeff Bowden years. Lots of frustrating home games for me, including no Miami wins. And then of course 05 and 06 seasons were rock bottom for us. A losing record in a weak ACC. Yuck.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I was at FSU from 01-05 for undergrad, and until 07 for grad, meaning all four of my undegrad years were Chris Rix years, and Jeff Bowden years. Lots of frustrating home games for me, including no Miami wins. And then of course 05 and 06 seasons were rock bottom for us. A losing record in a weak ACC. Yuck.
I think you should go back for your PhD.

ulua

I'm confused. Dubose was before Price. How does one get accepted when Price is the coach yet attend when Dubose was the coach? Unless you're like Merlin and living your life backwards.

Dubose fucked his secretary then fucked the team up. Franchione left to go show Aggy how to hold the rope, because they like weird shit like that. Then Price was here for a spring before he decided to show Destiny how the Tide rolls. Then Shula was the only sucker who didn't step back when Mal Moore asked for volunteers so he became the coach even though he was supremely unqualified for the job. Then local radio guys made fun of Rich Rod's wife, Rita, by referring to her as the "Crypt Keeper," which led to the job going to Saban.

meant to say price/shula. i was there from 2003 to 2006. lul.

DominoKid

what was the year yall lost like 30-0 to Wake Forest in Tallahasse? that was one of the hardest rock bottom's i've seen from a pride standpoint.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
what was the year yall lost like 30-0 to Wake Forest in Tallahasse? that was one of the hardest rock bottom's i've seen from a pride standpoint.

Where would "going to play @ Hawaii as a Bowl Game because you can't go to one" rank on the list of "Pride Rock Bottoms"?

Watching that game kind of made me want to fire up the last NCAA I bought and pick a random mid level power 5 school and see how long it took to win a title using the Triple Option.

I might do it, I just need to pick a school with little tradition or history. Like a Vanderbilt or Iowa State.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
My roommates one year had an Army-Navy dynasty they played for about 10 seasons, both running the triple option. The guy that used Navy won several titles.

Goddamn, man. I can't even conceive of that pain. Especially that loss to Wake.

andycapps

Everything is cyclical. It'll come back around for everyone.

*Twitches*

The flexbone/veer/triple option is actually a really old offense. The reason it looks new to you is that only the service academies (Army and Navy) and Georgia Tech run it.. Also Georgia Southern. Georgia Tech runs it very well, but it probably helps their case that they're typically the only triple option team on a team's schedule. Lack of familiarity and lack of time to prepare for it causes problems. Much as if everyone was running triple option, if you came out in a pro-style set, it would cause problems.

It's mostly used in high schools and in colleges where there is a lack of talent on the offensive line and at QB. Chop blocks are a hallmark of the triple option/Georgia Tech.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Nah, you'd have to stretch towards WVU with some questionable schools. Cincinnati and Memphis would probably be your best choices. UCF or ECU as well? Marshall, perhaps? But that doesn't get you anything WVU isn't already bringing.

I don't get the people throwing out SMU when this topic comes up. You want to grow your TV footprint, and SMU isn't doing that.

Yeah,

We certainly screwed this up pretty bad.

FSU seemed to have some interest back when the ACC's TV deal was rubbish of potentially jumping ship before the ACC shored itself up. We also could have easily nabbed Louisville at the time. In hind-site this should have happened. TCU probably shouldn't have been added to the conference and we could have pulled someone like a Clemson along from the ACC. Miami, VaTech, tons of getable teams that would have been great additions.

I think the powers that be in the Big 12 thought the ACC TV deal was so awful that we more or less had all the time in the world to make moves happen. Then the ACC (not being run by complete idiots) managed to sign a deal with Notre Dame, add a bunch of decent to good teams.. got a better TV deal and made all their teams sign their rights away.

BYU is probably the best team to add, but the issue there is TV revenue (they have their own network, but it owns more than just tier 3 rights) and scheduling (they won't play on Sunday, ever).

So now we are left with this huge dilemma.

The answer is probably Memphis and Cincinnati, with UCF as a team to keep in the hip pocket.

Memphis - Good basketball, close geographically. Potential to become a thing in football as a larger private school. Probably makes sense

Cincinnati - Decent Sized Private School Good basketball, big city. Probably makes sense. Could develop into a secondary school in the state.

Cougar High - Oh hey, a commuter school that is occasionally good at football but brings no fan base and no TV market we don't already have. There is a reason the SWC died.

SMU - Oh hey, a richer snobbier TCU that is never ever good at football but brings a tiny super rich fan base and no TV market we don't already have. There is a reason the SWC died.

Boise St - Gimmick offense, gimmick field. No one lives anywhere near it. Not a state.

Colorado St - This isn't a horrible choice on paper.. but the optics of losing Colorado and adding Colorado St isn't good.

UCF - Geographically suspect. Giant commuter school. Trying to establish itself as a thing. Decent at football. Good mascot. Would embolden UCF fans, so pass.

Marshall - Does nothing for us. Small private school in a State that is tiny that we already have TV wise.

Draxal

B12 played a gambit, they were just waiting for 4 to go 8 playoff teams as soon as possible (which I am against, but it seems inevitable), and they had bad luck with their conference champ games in the past, so it was kind of understandable why they did what they did, since they really had no attractive options (FSU/Clemson was a pipe dream).

Unfortunately, their bad luck continued.

StoOgE

Marshall, Memphis, & Cinci are all public schools.

Don't think it makes much of a difference though...

Really?

Huh. Doesn't affect much, but I their naming convention seems to imply private (though, I guess Cougar Highs does too).

StoOgE

B12 played a gambit, they were just waiting for 4 to go 8 playoff teams as soon as possible (which I am against, but it seems inevitable), and they had bad luck with their conference champ games in the past, so it was kind of understandable why they did what they did, since they really had no attractive options (FSU/Clemson was a pipe dream).

Unfortunately, their bad luck continued.

This is also true.

The Big 12 has a history of would be national title game contenders getting beaten by the underdog.

Draxal

This is also true.

The Big 12 has a history of would be national title game contenders getting beaten by the underdog.

It was just 3 complete things that ran against the B12 this year.

1. 2 teams with 1 having a really poor ooc and 1 losing to that other team.
2. The other conferences having clear cut champions winning their games decisively or being undefeated.
3. Those 2 teams weren't Oklahoma or Texas.

If both tOSU and FSU lost, both TCU and Baylor would be in.

Meier

I graduated undergrad in '05 and stayed in town until '07 as well. Didn't do grad school unfortunately since sticking around wasn't really planned (my wife and I started dating right before I graduated and then I moved in with her and stayed).

I got a new student ID the day before I finished and would get student tickets from my friends who were still active. My boss was a booster and let me use his season tickets on occasion as well -- it was pretty great. I really miss, Tally. We haven't been back since July '07 when we moved away. Wish it wasn't so dang expensive to fly there.

KingGondo

Banned
So Jeff Long was on Sirius a few minutes ago, and he said a couple things that I think is new information:

- Said after looking at Ohio State's entire body of work, including how "complete and strong" they looked against Wisconsin with Cardale that it was "impossible" to keep them out.

- On the conference championship thing, suggested that it wasn't the lack of a championship game that did either TCU or Baylor in, it was the Big 12 presenting the committee with co-champions. He said they "emphasized conference champions", and that there were "four singular champions, and two co-champions presented by the Big 12", and that's the field they had to consider.
This is utter bullshit. Long says they *had* to put Ohio State in (and I actually agree they're deserving), which is the same as him admitting that TCU and Baylor weren't getting in. Bama, Oregon and FSU were undeniable final 4 teams. That left one spot, which Long says had to be filled by Ohio State.

Also, spare me the BS about the Big 12 "presenting co-champions." The committee is full of smart people. No matter what the Big 12 "presents" to them, they can understand the basic idea that since Baylor beat TCU head to head, they're the true conference champions. Hence the fact that they put Baylor at #5 and TCU at #6 in the final ranking.

It would really be best if everyone involved would just shut the fuck up. They got the final rankings right. Stop muddying the water with contradictions.
Cincinnati - Decent Sized Private School Good basketball, big city. Probably makes sense. Could develop into a secondary school in the state.

UCF - Geographically suspect. Giant commuter school. Trying to establish itself as a thing. Decent at football. Good mascot. Would embolden UCF fans, so pass.
These are my two choices assuming that we can't bridge the gap with BYU. At the same time, I think we need to be extremely careful about adding teams. I don't know how much it will benefit the conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom