• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Colorado St - This isn't a horrible choice on paper.. but the optics of losing Colorado and adding Colorado St isn't good.
This was one that I thought about but dismissed. They were decent this year, but have not been very good historically. I'd want to see what they do under their next coach before looking there.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
This was one that I thought about but dismissed. They were decent this year, but have not been very good historically. I'd want to see what they do under their next coach before looking there.

I think they have routinely been sort of okish and beat Colorado more than they should have given their athletic budgets.

That said, they aren't in Denver which I think sort of makes them a pass.

Cincy/Memphis and UCF are at least in major cities which gives you somewhere worth going on vacation. Cincy especially excites me since I live in NYC. It's not a horrible road trip.

This is the point in the discussion where I again suggest that the Big XII is the only conference right now that's doing anything right. Everybody should play everybody every year. Twice in basketball. Big XII shouldn't change for CFB, Big XII should instead petition for all the other conferences to drop to 10.

Yes, this is, of course, a pipe dream fantasy. :/

Draxal

This is the point in the discussion where I again suggest that the Big XII is the only conference right now that's doing anything right. Everybody should play everybody every year. Twice in basketball. Big XII shouldn't change for CFB, Big XII should instead petition for all the other conferences to drop to 10.

Yes, this is, of course, a pipe dream fantasy. :/

That and Swofford was the one who started this in 2003.

That and Swofford was the one who started this in 2003.

He read the tea leaves, but Big XII and SEC were already at 12 at the time. SEC got there, when, in 91 or 92? Whenever they picked up Arkansas and South Carolina.

Edit: There was talk/fantasy in the ACC for years about getting Miami to go along with Florida State, and not many people would have been against it. The total power play to go to 12 was out of left field (for fans), and I've never been pleased with it because of what it did to basketball. The only thing it gained was a football championship game that nobody went to those first few years they held it in Florida, though now in Charlotte, it's starting to draw a bit.

Cincinnati - Decent Sized Private School Good basketball, big city. Probably makes sense. Could develop into a secondary school in the state..

Cincy's biggest issue, aside from getting demoted to a secondary conference when the BEAST imploded, is their stadium. Nippert is tiny. 35K people. I think they're planning to expand, but the stadium is surrounded by existing buildings so I don't think it's going to be anything huge.

Not sure how, if at all, that would impact the B12's interest in them, but it's certainly something that will hold Cincy back for the foreseeable future.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Cincy's biggest issue, aside from getting demoted to a secondary conference when the BEAST imploded, is their stadium. Nippert is tiny. 35K people. I think they're planning to expand, but the stadium is surrounded by existing buildings so I don't think it's going to be anything huge.

Not sure how, if at all, that would impact the B12's interest in them, but it's certainly something that will hold Cincy back for the foreseeable future.

Well,

In order to be a decent get we only need a team that is capable of doing what Baylor/Tech do, which is being mediocre at worst and popping up to top 10 once a decade on a lark.

I think Cincy can do that. I would prefer they seat 50K plus however because the Big 12 does have some large fan bases that travel well.

KingGondo

Banned
I think they have routinely been sort of okish and beat Colorado more than they should have given their athletic budgets.

That said, they aren't in Denver which I think sort of makes them a pass.
It isn't about the location of the school, it's about the TV "market" they supposedly bring in.

That's why the B1G brought in Rutgers and Maryland even though they're in the most CFB-averse area in the country. Because they can sell networks on bringing in the DC and NYC TV markets even though nobody gives a shit about Rutgers and Maryland football.

Cincy/Memphis and UCF are at least in major cities which gives you somewhere worth going on vacation. Cincy especially excites me since I live in NYC. It's not a horrible road trip.
"Major" is stretching it when it comes to Cincy and Memphis.

Sigh. I miss the old Big 12.

Draxal

They did, Cinci went all in trying to get in relaignment and played all home games at Paul Brown this year due to the expansion.

Ohio is actually the one state that probably doesn't have enough p5 teams (I guess Louisiana as well).

Draxal

It isn't about the location of the school, it's about the TV "market" they supposedly bring in.

That's why the B1G brought in Rutgers and Maryland even though they're in the most CFB-averse area in the country. Because they can sell networks on bringing in the DC and NYC TV markets even though nobody gives a shit about Rutgers and Maryland football.

I don't think NYC/Maryland is truly football averse.

For NYC specifically, It's just NYC is transient just like Atlanta is, we have a ton of college bars for almost every college there is, but no dominant team. The other is that NYC bandwagons like no other, if Rutgers was the best team in the country everybody would be wearing a Rutgers hat, just like they took off their Syracuse bball hats for their Uconn ones, and sometimes wear their Duke ones if they win.

Rutgers/Maryland was also brought in because the states have football talent, that was going away to other states, and they also had a ton of tOSU/Michigan alumni. This was all about making those two schools and PSU stronger (PSU wanted eastern partners for a long long long long time).

They did, Cinci went all in trying to get in relaignment and played all home games at Paul Brown this year due to the expansion.

They'd really be better off just making Paul Brown their home permanent home venue. It would be a lousy college stadium, of course, but it would a lot easier and cheaper than trying to make Nippert a legit stadium.

The Bungals probably wouldn't be thrilled about it, but they don't own the stadium, so they probably couldn't stop it.

Ohio is actually the one state that probably doesn't have enough p5 teams (I guess Louisiana as well).

Ohio has the perfect number of P5 teams.

That said, no one is legitimately afraid of Cincy rivaling Ohio State, even if they get back in a power conference. The Kelly years were a sham and no sane recruit is ever going to pick Cincinnati over Ohio State.

"Major" is stretching it when it comes to Cincy and Memphis.

Won't speak for Memphis, but it's not a stretch to call Cincy a major city. The city proper is shrinking, like many other Rust Belt cities, but the metro area is 2 million+.

Draxal

Ohio has the perfect number of P5 teams.

For the population and the amount of Div 1 talent that Ohio produces it makes more sense for Ohio to have 2 FBS teams than Iowa/Kansas/Michigan having 2, and North Carolina having 4.

edit. (I do understand alot of Ohio talent goes to ND and Michigan).

Without Further Ado, here are your conference picks updates, we still have the remainder playoffs to get through. (also cant figure out how to format this shit on here so there thats):

For a breakdown of everyones picks or you see errors here is the link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jg3zBUY9QGEJqdutWo5teIxbhJgiulQ00AWB12UxCQw/edit?usp=sharing

Scoring worked as following 1 pt for division, 2 for conf champ, 3 for playoff, 5 for champ game selections, and 7 points for National Champion.

Total Possible points for regular season was 20 points and 12 for playoffs.

Conference Picks/ Playoff Picks/ Total
RHFB 15/ 12/ 27
FelixOrion 14/ 12/ 26
Ron Paul 12 /9 /21
AndyCapps 12/ 9/ 21
Enfinit 12 /9 /21
theprodigy 12/ 9/ 21
Mr James 12/ 9/ 21
Cdyhybrid 11/ 9/ 20
Talon 11/ 9/ 20
Mac The Knife 11/ 9/ 20
pxleyes 12/ 6/ 18
Chaos Blade 11/ 6/ 17
Bucknuticus 11/ 6/ 17
Battlezone 10/ 6/ 16
Randolph Free 9/ 6/ 15
zyxwvu4321 9/ 6/ 15
AntoneM 9/ 6/ 15
TimetoKill 8/ 6/ 14
GoldenEye 11/ 3/ 14
StrikerObi 8 /6/ 14
Lonestar 8/ 6/ 14
Cyan 10/ 3/ 13
Chicko1983 7/ 6/ 13
JCX 7/ 6/ 13
Purple Cheeto 6/ 6/ 12
Draconian 6/ 6/ 12
Jhriad 8/ 3/ 11
Ganhyun 4/ 6/ 10
Sotha-Sil 7/ 3/ 10
MR. E 7/ 3/ 10
bachikarn 6/ 3/ 9
Frustrated_Grunt 5/ 3/ 8
Monroeski 5/ 3/ 8
Draxal 2/ 0/ 2
Ag-my001 1/ 0/ 1

Here's your top 3 just from regular season:

RHFB 15
FelixOrion 14
Ron Paul 12
AndyCapps 12
Enfinit 12
theprodigy 12
Mr James 12
pxleyes 12

And heres your little sisters of the poor:

Ganhyun 4
Draxal 2
Ag-my001 1

Fun Stats:

Only one person picked Ga Tech
Six Picked OSU to win the B1g
No one Picked TCU
Two Players got none of the playoff teams correct
Two players picked all 4 playoff teams right
- Of those two only one has a shot to have a perfect playoff bracket
Only 3 people did not pick FSU to win the ACC
Behind the ACC the 2nd most correct conference was the AAC (due to 3 champions)
Not one person picked the PAC-12 south correctly.

For the population and the amount of Div 1 talent that Ohio produces it makes more sense for Ohio to have 2 FBS teams than Iowa/Kansas/Michigan having 2, and North Carolina having 4.

edit. (I do understand alot of Ohio talent goes to ND and Michigan).

We probably would have two P5 programs if Ohio University hadn't been placed in the middle of Bumblefuck two centuries ago.

Otherwise the state of Ohio would have probably developed a more Michigan/Michigan State-type dynamic.

Any conclusions that UCF is a commuter school is about 15 years out of date at this point. We're a residential campus and now another destination campus within the state.

So it turns out the last version of NCAA I own is 12, which allows you to realign conferences but not delete existing conferences and a conference must have at least 4 schools. My plan was to create a couple of 12 team power conferences and make the Mid Majors go to 10 teams. Maybe if I user create some of the schools that moved up?

Gonna plan this out when I get to work. I'm open to bizarro world suggestions though.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Also, spare me the BS about the Big 12 "presenting co-champions." The committee is full of smart people. No matter what the Big 12 "presents" to them, they can understand the basic idea that since Baylor beat TCU head to head, they're the true conference champions. Hence the fact that they put Baylor at #5 and TCU at #6 in the final ranking.

Could just be about teaching a lesson, like dropping Baylor due to non-conference scheduling. "Bring us an actual champion next time and we'll consider it," just like "if you had scheduled ANY P5 school you'd have been a few slots higher all year."

Won't speak for Memphis, but it's not a stretch to call Cincy a major city. The city proper is shrinking, like many other Rust Belt cities, but the metro area is 2 million+.

The bigger issue than actual size of the market is the amount of the market they deliver, and I don't think that is very large with Cincinnati. The size of their stadium, for example, isn't as much of a concern as the reason why their stadium is so small, which is because they don't have a particularly large and devoted fanbase. Having a lot of students doesn't necessarily equate to having a lot of fans of your football team.

There really aren't any all that great options out there for the Big 12 to add right now. I'd rather the conference hold out and stay at 10 rather than add two schools just for the sake of getting to 12. Really hope they can get a waiver to have a CCG with just 10 teams.

Could just be about teaching a lesson, like dropping Baylor due to non-conference scheduling. "Bring us an actual champion next time and we'll consider it," just like "if you had scheduled ANY P5 school you'd have been a few slots higher all year."

The bigger issue than actual size of the market is the amount of the market they deliver, and I don't think that is very large with Cincinnati. The size of their stadium, for example, isn't as much of a concern as the reason why their stadium is so small, which is because they don't have a particularly large and devoted fanbase. Having a lot of students doesn't necessarily equate to having a lot of fans of your football team.

Becuase people in cincy jump on and off bandwagons of surrounding teams. OSU football fans in the fall, UK/Louisville fans in the winters, and if UC has a decent season hey were fans of them now too!

mre

Any conclusions that UCF is a commuter school is about 15 years out of date at this point. We're a residential campus and now another destination campus within the state.
Sounds exactly like something a commuter school would say.

This is true.

If you have a Cincinnati/Texas game, you'll probably get great TV ratings in the Cincy media market, but you better hope there's not an overlap with an Ohio State game.

Because it would get trounced, even if Ohio State is playing someone like Indiana.

ag-my001

I couldn't remember any of my picks, but I recall going for lots of #2-4 teams that I thought might get over the hump this year. Looking at the playoff field, this was not the year to do that.

I couldn't remember any of my picks, but I recall going for lots of #2-4 teams that I thought might get over the hump this year. Looking at the playoff field, this was not the year to do that.

This was your playoff picks:

LSU
Stanford
Oklahoma
MSU

You can see the rest in the link at the top of the rankings.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, I believe I still have a final game chance of Alabama vs FSU. Just didn't get OSUn or Oregon.

Uniforms for the playoff games, love em! going back to the OG grey sleeves!

B4bBcuwIUAA4sHi.png

This is kind of cool:

The new Nike Pro Combat Hypercool baselayer design pays homage to the legend of former head football coach Woody Hayes. The athletic department saved one of Hayes’ last “chalk board” sessions and enshrined it in Buckeye Football history. The baselayer pattern features a literal print of Woody Hayes' hand written notes for a book he was working on.

The pants just need the scarlet stripe instead of silver and these uniforms would be amazing

Why is no one mentioning USF as a potential Big 12 candidate?

I know, I know, the SUCK at football right now, but don't they also have one of the largest student bodies in the nation? Also, Florida TV contract. There's potential there.

Draxal

I know, I know, the SUCK at football right now, but don't they also have one of the largest student bodies in the nation? Also, Florida TV contract. There's potential there.

Because it wouldn't make sense to take them because you don't want to double down in Florida, and UCF is clearly the superior choice of the Florida schools at this point.

KingGondo

Banned

All of these potential new members are depressing.

I'm gonna go ahead and just pretend my fantasy conference exists in reality.

Big 12 North:
Nebraska
KSU
KU
Mizzou
OSU
Arkansas

Big 12 South:
OU
Tech
TCU
Texas
Aggy
Baylor, I guess.

Because it wouldn't make sense to take them because you don't want to double down in Florida, and UCF is clearly the superior choice of the Florida schools at this point.

Along with USF attendance being abysmal. I'd think the Big12 would pick a school that gets more fan support.

Ace 8095

I watched the game on the weekend and it was the first time I have seen Georgia Tech play, I have never seen the "triple option offence" before and it was very good to watch and I could see myself supporting a team that is trying to play differently.

I didnt post though as I was too busy watching the game.
I'll mail you a t-shirt.

1vN0HAG.png

Meier

Without Further Ado, here are your conference picks updates, we still have the remainder playoffs to get through. (also cant figure out how to format this shit on here so there thats):

I think you've done this in the past. Do you have results from previous years? I know I've participated before but have no clue how I finished.

Sounds exactly like something a commuter school would say.
:jnc

I mean. It's really bad over there. To the point we outdrew them at their own home game in Raymond James.

USF has been a mess since they reached #2 in the nation for a week.

mre

Uniforms for the playoff games, love em! going back to the OG grey sleeves!

B4bBcuwIUAA4sHi.png

Here are our playoff uniforms:

48dEhkY.png

close up of the diamond swoosh because nothing else is changing.

DVmis3N.png

elephant skin undershirt made up of Bama-related quotes, such as "let me go teabag that sleeping LSU fan"

In unrelated news, Lane Kiffin is your Broyles award winner for top assistant football coach:

zpwS2QP.gif

:jnc

I mean. It's really bad over there. To the point we outdrew them at their own home game in Raymond James.

USF has been a mess since they reached #2 in the nation for a week.

I'm aware that their program is in the dumps right now, but I'm basing it off potential. Don't they have a pretty large stadium? Being in the Big 12 would give them a much broader recruiting landscape. I could see them becoming decent again and enough fans showing up to their games to sell out 50% of the stadium

Ace 8095

I'm aware that their program is in the dumps right now, but I'm basing it off potential. Don't they have a pretty large stadium? Being in the Big 12 would give them a much broader recruiting landscape. I could see them becoming decent again and enough fans showing up to their games to sell out 50% of the stadium
Their stadium has a pirate ship! The Big 12 would be fools not to consider them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom