• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm aware that their program is in the dumps right now, but I'm basing it off potential. Don't they have a pretty large stadium? Being in the Big 12 would give them a much broader recruiting landscape. I could see them becoming decent again and enough fans showing up to their games to sell out 50% of the stadium
If they can turn things around, then yeah that would be good. Their stadium is an NFL one located off-campus. Ideally, they need to be looking to move out of there (even though it's nice) and build a modest on-campus one. And expand it later as necessary.

UCF gets a lot of crap because our stadium looks and is barebones, but it is basically using the Doak model at FSU. Start medium size (40kish), expand slowly around it, then of course add seating capacity as it is warranted. We can expand to 55k then 65k.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
OSUn will not be wearing those uniforms in the playoffs, at least not the first game. Red playing Red, no way they let that happen.

OSUn will not be wearing those uniforms in the playoffs, at least not the first game. Red playing Red, no way they let that happen.

Would they be wearing them at all? They're the #4 seed. Only ones who would need home and away are Oregon and FSU.

Also, I need that OSU base layer. Are they going to be selling these?

andycapps

In unrelated news, Lane Kiffin is your Broyles award winner for top assistant football coach:

zpwS2QP.gif

I'll never understand how a coach that didn't put the #1 offense (in the nation, much less the conference) on the field won the award, other than that he's Lane Kiffin and it's Bama.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I'll never understand how a coach that didn't put the #1 offense (in the nation, much less the conference) on the field won the award, other than that he's Lane Kiffin and it's Bama.
Perhaps you missed all of the repeated human interest stories how Kiffin* turned a RB into a QB who broke almost every single one of Bama's single season passing statistics?

*Kiffin plus a ton of hard work on the part of Blake Sims.

andycapps

Perhaps you missed all of the repeated human interest stories how Kiffin* turned a RB into a QB who broke almost every single one of Bama's single season passing statistics?

*Kiffin plus a ton of hard work on the part of Blake Sims.

*Kiffin plus Blake Sims having a receiver named Amari Cooper.

quick, how many people here actually went to the university they root for :p

I don't think there are any Clemson fans that didn't go to the school. No one would willingly subject themselves to that kind of torment.

South Carolina, on the other hand...every redneck in the state pulls for them.

No way Tom Herman didnt win that award, also dont think theres anyway Urbz doesnt win COTY (1 of 3 finalist) after winning the B1G with the QB situation they had to deal with

Only dropped .3 ppg from last season replacing 1 (and 2) QBs, 4 OL, and starting RB from last season

Lonestar

No way Tom Herman didnt win that award, also dont think theres anyway Urbz doesnt win COTY (1 of 3 finalist) after winning the B1G with the QB situation they had to deal with

Only dropped .3 ppg from last season replacing 1 (and 2) QBs, 4 OL, and starting RB from last season

Ladies and Gentlemen: The B1G Ten.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Urban wasn't even B1G coach of the year...

Lonestar

I am all for FSU/Oregon wearing Home and Home colors, and if the final is Alabama/Oregon, the same. But all the Red Teams will have to get in line behind Alabama :p

TCU should think about changing colors to Green. It's obvious the Committee was in a Christmas Mood when they picked only Red and Green colors. Baylor was screwed because this isn't America. This is the United States of America.

If you wanted to be reminded to what Lane Kiffikens sounds like, here's his first spoken words in 13 years!

@TremendousUM 14m14 minutes ago
Source w/knowledge of situation tells me that #Michigan has gauged the interest of Duke HC David Cutcliffe

@TremendousUM 14m14 minutes ago
Source w/knowledge of situation tells me that #Michigan has gauged the interest of Duke HC David Cutcliffe

OVER OUR COLD DEAD BODIES

Though, you know, he is certainly capable of being in a better situation than Duke. He has done wonders for the program, but the money and fan support will never rival that of Michigan or other large schools.

Good lord, UM needs someone who will get fans back in the seats.

Which only requires winning. Just because Hoke was a failure doesn't mean U-M should avoid all low- to medium-profile coaches. Hoke was bad and it was obvious he was bad and that's entirely on Dave Brandon.

"Harbaugh/Miles or bust" is a dangerous attitude. U-M fans need to have realistic expectations.

Draxal

Which only requires winning. Just because Hoke was a failure doesn't mean U-M should avoid all low- to medium-profile coaches. Hoke was bad and it was obvious he was bad and that's entirely on Dave Brandon.

"Harbaugh/Miles or bust" is a dangerous attitude. U-M fans need to have realistic expectations.

I like Cutcliffe, but he's not Meyer good, not even close, and I think he's getting up there in age.

ryan-ts

Which only requires beating Ohio State or Michigan State.

FTFY

That is what the fans want. I don't expect anyone to come in Year 1 and beat either team... however, fans aren't going to give someone like Cutcliffe a chance to prove himself if he fails to win year 1. The stadium will be right back to where it was at the end of Hoke's tenure.

Cutcliffe has Duke in a bowl for a third straight season. Do you know the last time that happened? Never. In fact, Duke had never been to a bowl in any two consecutive seasons before.

Duke has won 19 games over the past two seasons, 25 over the past three. The last coach to win 25 games in 3 seasons at Duke? They named the stadium after him. It was Wallace Wade from 1936 to 1938. (If Duke wins their bowl this year against Arizona State [would be an upset], then this would be the most wins ever in any 3 year period and is already the most in 2. Similarly, if Duke wins 7 or more games next year, the same 3 year comparison is true.)

In the past 52 years, Duke has only been in the polls in 5 seasons. Not finished ranked, just been ranked. 2013 and 2014 are 2 of those seasons. The last time before that was 1994, then 1989, then 1971. The last time, prior to 2013, that they finished ranked was 1962.

Cutcliffe had some lean years at first at Duke. They finished with 4, 5, 3, and 3 wins during the first 4 years. Of course, the preceding 4 years, they finished with 2, 1, 0, and 1 wins. In the years since Steve Spurrier left (1989), Duke had 1 winning season (1994, 8-4) and 4 winless seasons, 2 seasons with only 1 victory, and 4 seasons with 2 victories. Overall, in the 18 seasons between Spurrier and Cutcliffe, the school went 43-159. Cutcliffe is 40-47 in 7 seasons, and 25-14 over these past 3 seasons.

I don't know if he's a fit for Michigan or any other job or if he wants any other job (and he's been contacted a few times while at Duke), but he can coach football. If he can win at Duke, he can win anywhere.

andycapps

Cutcliffe at Michigan would be an interesting hire. He's a good coach, but he doesn't have that huge name that many there are probably looking for. But it's probably a much safer hire than the other big names.

That said, Mike Leach to Michigan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom