• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
jameispeel.0.gif

Because despite his great stats, he hasn't got much attention, and the offense should be even better than this year. He can improve his draft position by staying, plus enjoy another year of college.

And maybe he wants his degree, who knows?
Oh ok.

Top 10 pre season? Or you guys losing more than WR & DE?

harSon

Banned
and that's fair, but while Winston is a pro-typical NFL prospect, I really think that because of his character issues he will never realize his potential. Why is he that much different than Jamarcus Russell?

FSU is really talented but only beat a bunch of crappy teams by small margins. Why? Cos Winston played like ass for the majority of the game. Give him credit for coming back, but I'm not sure I'd gamble on him turning it around. Not worth blowing a ton of money if I was a GM. I'd rather gamble on Mariota, but I'm not saying he is a guarantee either.

I personally wouldn't draft either of them in the first round. As I said, history is not in favor of Mariota's style of play. Winston has the higher ceiling due to his style of play gelling better in the NFL, but he has maturity and work ethic issues.

Pimpwerx

This game is boring, so let me expound a bit more on my Mariotta argument. I had to switch over to my tablet so I can type easier.

Mariotta is very much a system QB. Is there any disputing that? I saw someone post his numbers. They are surprisingly irrelevant given the system they run. It is designed to push the tempo and generate huge numbers due to mismatches. You get gargantuan mismatches at the 2nd or 3rd receiver positions in college because depth isn't the same as it is in the pros. Mariotta makes quick reads at the line? That's easy when you're running no-huddle and already pegged the 2 or 3 weak links in the secondary. The pros not only throw more complex schemes at you, but also better talent. You're not finding a walk on safety with no big game experience who'll blow the coverage. You know who else looked awesome in college, but I also said was a terrible pick? Sam Bradford. My issues with him were mostly tied to his shoulder, but I was also really wary of the system OU was running with him. Those system QBs are suspect as fuck, folks.

My expectations for Mariotta are the following. He's athletic enough that he actually has escape speed, unlike Manziel. However, his build is slight, like RG3. He's not the quality of passer that RG3 was coming out of college, nor the general at the los. How did that turn out for Griff? I see him getting hurt if you try to run read-option with him. He's already been banged up in college. I think stuff like that cross-body pass to the middle of the field bring his decision making into question. He doesn't throw a lot of picks, but that's because they're abusing mismatches half the time and front-running. He's not been as impressive against competent defenses that weren't sucking wind from the pace. Didn't he look really pedestrian against Stanford a year or two ago?

The guy has NFL bus written all over him. as much as I've fallen out of love with Tannehill, I'd curse the heavens if the Phins somehow picked Mariotta in the first. He's not worth a first round pick, because he is not starter material. Winston is more NFL ready,and I'm not even that high on him. I just think he's clearly a better pickup than MM. PEACE.

I personally wouldn't draft either of them in the first round. As I said, history is not in favor of Mariota's style of play. Winston has the higher ceiling due to his style of play gelling better in the NFL, but he has maturity and work ethic issues.

Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
EJ Manuel
Geno Smith
Johnny Manziel

Someone will draft Mariota and Winston. NFL teams are desperate for any hope at QB.

This game is boring, so let me expound a bit more on my Mariotta argument. I had to switch over to my tablet so I can type easier.

Mariotta is very much a system QB. Is there any disputing that?

Tom Brady is a multiple Super Bowl Champion and he's a massive system QB. Saying someone is a system QB is an ignorant and short sighted way to analyze a QB.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
going into the NFL, what is going to be the difference between Marcus Mariota and Dennis Dixon?

Sorry, don't deeply follow college as much.

The fact Mariota is better in every conceivable way than Dixon ever was.. but Dixon was a great college QB.. Mariota is that much better.

College stats don't mean a damn thing to the QB position in terms of being a predictor for NFL success. He's going to have to prove he's not a system QB, and that he has the capability to sit in the pocket and read an NFL defense. There's plenty of QB's cut from the same cloth as Mariota that have failed in the NFL despite excelling in College, and it has almost always been due to their athletic gifts not being a substitute for reading an NFL defense.

Except, who has had the kind of season of Mariota, with that kind of arm, that kind of speed, and the ability to go through progressions as quick as he does.. that's failed in the NFL?

You are discounting the guy because he plays for Oregon, not because of his phyiscal tools.

So you like Winston better because he's fatter? Because Mariota has a better arm, is faster and reads a defense better than Winston.

Jarnet87

Hope the Braxton miller rumors are true. Maguire sucks and this is a talented Fsu team going into next year. Miller makes us a contender

harSon

Banned
Wilson and RG3 put up great numbers in college and still succeded in the NFL (RG3's 2012 season was extremely good, but he doesn't have a good attitude though).

You can amass a pretty large list of Mariota-like QBs who succeed early in their career due to their athletic gifts, but taper of significantly once defenses have enough tape on them to gameplan - forcing them to have to read a defense. There's an exception to every rule, but for every high profile QB similar to Mariota that succeeds in the NFL, you can probably name a dozen that failed. But then again, I suppose you could do that with a lot of positions :p

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
Amari Cooper is gonna have 300 yards on that Oregon defense

Yeah, it's pretty much guaranteed that somebody will reach for these quarterbacks. And you forgot RGIII.

Actually I think RG3 is a pretty good cautionary tale for marrying a QB like Mariota with a bad coach.

Although RG3 also got screwed over by Shanahan putting him in that playoff game against Seattle on that god awful turf. I think RG3's career is different if he doesn't play in that game.

You can amass a pretty large list of Mariota-like QBs who succeed early in their career due to their athletic gifts, but taper of significantly once defenses have enough tape on them to gameplan - forcing them to have to read a defense. There's an exception to every rule, but for every high profile QB similar to Mariota that succeeds in the NFL, you can probably name a dozen that failed. But then again, I suppose you could do that with a lot of positions :p
I'd like to see this large list of mariota comparables who were good early then sucked.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I was unaware that Mariota is unable to read a defense. Seems like I saw him reading the defense and then making adjustments/calling audibles all night long.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
it hit the receiver's hands, which is why I said you could claim it was unforced

Hit his hands as he spun to catch the ball behind himself due to the trajectory and speed of the pass being thrown off by the tip, though. Ball may have hit him in stride if not for the tip though I guess we'll never really know. 100% forced IMO.

I'd like to see this large list of mariota comparables who were good early then sucked.

Mariota is obviously Vince Young 2.0 cuz they're uh... both uh.... how do you say this.

You don't even have to go that far back. How about Cam Newton, Kaepernick and RGIII?

Read an NFL defense*

Kaep's been dogshit this season, but the man was also 2 plays away from a Super Bowl win and a Super Bowl appearance. That's exceedingly unfair.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm glad Mariota is gone after this year, I'm tired of hearing about him. Would have been 10X worse if he played for an east coast team

Mariotta is very much a system QB. Is there any disputing that? I saw someone post his numbers. They are surprisingly irrelevant given the system they run. It is designed to push the tempo and generate huge numbers due to mismatches. You get gargantuan mismatches at the 2nd or 3rd receiver positions in college because depth isn't the same as it is in the pros. Mariotta makes quick reads at the line? That's easy when you're running no-huddle and already pegged the 2 or 3 weak links in the secondary. The pros not only throw more complex schemes at you, but also better talent. You're not finding a walk on safety with no big game experience who'll blow the coverage. You know who else looked awesome in college, but I also said was a terrible pick? Sam Bradford. My issues with him were mostly tied to his shoulder, but I was also really wary of the system OU was running with him. Those system QBs are suspect as fuck, folks.

My expectations for Mariotta are the following. He's athletic enough that he actually has escape speed, unlike Manziel. However, his build is slight, like RG3. He's not the quality of passer that RG3 was coming out of college, nor the general at the los. How did that turn out for Griff? I see him getting hurt if you try to run read-option with him. He's already been banged up in college. I think stuff like that cross-body pass to the middle of the field bring his decision making into question. He doesn't throw a lot of picks, but that's because they're abusing mismatches half the time and front-running. He's not been as impressive against competent defenses that weren't sucking wind from the pace. Didn't he look really pedestrian against Stanford a year or two ago?

The guy has NFL bus written all over him. as much as I've fallen out of love with Tannehill, I'd curse the heavens if the Phins somehow picked Mariotta in the first. He's not worth a first round pick, because he is not starter material. Winston is more NFL ready,and I'm not even that high on him. I just think he's clearly a better pickup than MM. PEACE.

He was injured against Stanford... still managed to comeback (20 pts) within a TD of Stanford in 10 minutes in the 4th quarter.

Most scouts (who actually watch Mariota's games) disagree with you. Not saying they are right, but it's wrong to discount him based on others who failed. Mariota is far and away the best QB Oregon's ever had. System QB yes, but none has been as prolific as Mariota. Is that a valid indicator of success at the NFL level, no, but saying he is going to be a bust is ridiculous.

Rodgers also came from a "system" and is currently the best QB in the NFL by a mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom