• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enfinit

Still proud as fuck of this team. Jameis can be a piece of shit sometimes, and I want him to leave just as much as anyone, but he's an incredible competitor. This season was ridiculously memorable.

Go Ducks. It's about time you win a national championship, you've deserved it for years.

Kusagari

I'm pretty sure we can stop taking anything scouts say seriously after the Teddy Bridgewater debacle.

Dat bad pro day though.

harSon

Banned
Mariota is obviously Vince Young 2.0 cuz they're uh... both uh.... how do you say this.

Kaep's been dogshit this season, but the man was also 2 plays away from a Super Bowl win and a Super Bowl appearance. That's exceedingly unfair.

How so? Defenses have learned how to play him, forcing him to rely on his arm and ability to read a defense, and he has failed to progress in that department. He's literally the poster boy for the argument I was making Lol.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
This season has been hilarious and fun to watch. Being down constantly and coming back to win and pissing everybody off in the process is surprisingly fun.

Jarnet87

Yeah but he's a kicker...drafting a kicker in the first round is like picking a all pro Punter over a OT.

He's a kicker that is likely to end his career with the Raiders. You know how many first rounders get cut after 3 or 4 years?

BlindRage

Honestly, I'm just glad FSU got destroyed. Do I wish it was before this game so that it woulda been tcu or a better team in the playoff? Yes.

But it was awesome that we got all these great gifs from this game.

At least this playoff system fucking worked, cause FSU did not, deserve to be anywhere near a championship this year.

You can amass a pretty large list of Mariota-like QBs who succeed early in their career due to their athletic gifts, but taper of significantly once defenses have enough tape on them to gameplan - forcing them to have to read a defense. There's an exception to every rule, but for every high profile QB similar to Mariota that succeeds in the NFL, you can probably name a dozen that failed. But then again, I suppose you could do that with a lot of positions :p

But for every athletic QB that does badly over time, you also have the "great, prototypical QB" who perform just as bad (Russell, Gabbert, Leaf, Ponder, Quinn, Sanchez, Leinart, Boller, etc.)

100% forced IMO.
this is the problem with even bringing up forced/unforced turnovers into an argument. Two linebackers brought additional pressure on WInston's buttfumble, to what extent was that turnover forced? it's ultimately a subjective call, and I tried to qualify my statement in the og post

Piano

Banned
GG Oregon.
Ducks are a fucking fantastic team. Fun to watch, too.
FSU's still a top-15 team, in my book, but far from a top-4. Not the team they were last year, by a mile and have lots of work to do before next year.
Will be cheering for Oregon in the final.

Honestly, I'm just glad FSU got destroyed. Do I wish it was before this game so that it woulda been tcu or a better team in the playoff? Yes.

But it was awesome that we got all these great gifs from this game.

At least this playoff system fucking worked, cause FSU did not, deserve to be anywhere near a championship this year.

Would've been worse than the Notre Dame - Alabama game I turned off midway through two years ago.

Cloudy

Banned
There's nothing I hate more than biased commentary...especially when "character" is used to judge on-field performance. They put up the stats of the QBs and the ESPN guy says the somewhat similar stats are misleading and Mariota was much better cos he had "command" of his huddle. WTF

AntoneM

This game is boring, so let me expound a bit more on my Mariotta argument. I had to switch over to my tablet so I can type easier.

Mariotta is very much a system QB. Is there any disputing that? I saw someone post his numbers. They are surprisingly irrelevant given the system they run. It is designed to push the tempo and generate huge numbers due to mismatches. You get gargantuan mismatches at the 2nd or 3rd receiver positions in college because depth isn't the same as it is in the pros. Mariotta makes quick reads at the line? That's easy when you're running no-huddle and already pegged the 2 or 3 weak links in the secondary. The pros not only throw more complex schemes at you, but also better talent. You're not finding a walk on safety with no big game experience who'll blow the coverage. You know who else looked awesome in college, but I also said was a terrible pick? Sam Bradford. My issues with him were mostly tied to his shoulder, but I was also really wary of the system OU was running with him. Those system QBs are suspect as fuck, folks.

My expectations for Mariotta are the following. He's athletic enough that he actually has escape speed, unlike Manziel. However, his build is slight, like RG3. He's not the quality of passer that RG3 was coming out of college, nor the general at the los. How did that turn out for Griff? I see him getting hurt if you try to run read-option with him. He's already been banged up in college. I think stuff like that cross-body pass to the middle of the field bring his decision making into question. He doesn't throw a lot of picks, but that's because they're abusing mismatches half the time and front-running. He's not been as impressive against competent defenses that weren't sucking wind from the pace. Didn't he look really pedestrian against Stanford a year or two ago?

The guy has NFL bus written all over him. as much as I've fallen out of love with Tannehill, I'd curse the heavens if the Phins somehow picked Mariotta in the first. He's not worth a first round pick, because he is not starter material. Winston is more NFL ready,and I'm not even that high on him. I just think he's clearly a better pickup than MM. PEACE.

What system?
Dude threw 3 interceptions the whole year.

Silkworm

Maybe another SEC West team will manage to win a game besides Arkansas. Would like to see yet another SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! team in the championship game :)

@ramzy 34s34 seconds ago
"Can we put to bed that Oregon is a soft team?" Asked Kirk Herbstreit, bravely crushing yet another storyline perpetuated by his network.

? The Cal offense back then was basically pro-style.

People complained about Tedford-coached QBs having weird mechanics, but he definitely wasn't considered a system QB.

Why did he drop to 24th, then? There clearly were worried in his abilities, vs. Alex Smith's.

Pimpwerx

He was injured against Stanford... still managed to comeback (20 pts) within a TD of Stanford in 10 minutes in the 4th quarter.

Most scouts (who actually watch Mariota's games) disagree with you. Not saying they are right, but it's wrong to discount him based on others who failed. Mariota is far and away the best QB Oregon's ever had. System QB yes, but none has been as prolific as Mariota. Is that a valid indicator of success at the NFL level, no, but saying he is going to be a bust is ridiculous.

Rodgers also came from a "system" and is currently the best QB in the NFL by a mile.
I unfortunately never got to see Godgers in college, so I can't tell you if he ever looked like more than a system guy. I remember the media really toting that water for Bradford, and I made a few posts questioning the merit given he had shoulder surgeries in college. There are some real red flags for some guys. Mariotta hasn't shown the durability or toughness you'd want from a scrambler, and obviously doesn't have the build for it right now. So he's going to have to get it done with his arm and eyes, and I'm not sure anyone can make an accurate predictor of that.

In any case, the combine tends to sort things out. Mariotta will no doubt impress on his pro day, but I expect Winston will gain a ton more traction prior to the draft. I don't expect Mariotta to go ahead of him either. Half the time this talk is just a smoke screen anyway. Manziel was teased as a potential first overall last year when many of us were predicting his bust. I expect Winston to lead the names of the top tier schools, with a couple small school QBs leaping into the Top15. PEACE.

harSon

Banned
Proof that he can't do it? Just because he has a similar skill set as other players doesn't mean he has the same cognitive capabilities as them.

It's not even a radical prediction to make. QBs that are capable of making the jump from college to the NFL is exceedingly rare. There's maybe what, 12-15 truly good QBs in the NFL? And that number is a culmination of QBs drafted over the last 16 years? Saying that a college QB is not going to succeed in the NFL is about as safe a bet as you can make, regardless of how good they were in college. The odds get even better if they're an unconventional QB.

Branduil

There's nothing I hate more than biased commentary...especially when "character" is used to judge on-field performance. They put up the stats of the QBs and the ESPN guy says the somewhat similar stats are misleading and Mariota was much better cos he had "command" of his huddle. WTF

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom