• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 1: Power 5 Conferences to UCF – “Stick to cooking”

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakncoke

Banned
Don't believe their lies.

Last year was a limbo year where we were not eligible for FCS playoffs. The stadium was also undergoing construction and there was much apathy for the season in the fanbase. Our usual average attendance for non-playoff games is around 20,000.

That pic so funny.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Last year was a limbo year where we were not eligible for FCS playoffs. The stadium was also undergoing construction and there was much apathy for the season in the fanbase. Our usual average attendance for non-playoff games is around 20,000.

in my younger days, I made this custom team on my NCAA football game who had this big ass stadium but were a D+ "cupcake" team. I put them up against some A+ powerhouse and watched them get BTFO.

This pic reminds me of what that stadium looked like after even a quarter of play.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
BwFMAadCYAApkko.jpg:large
Why are you posting a picture of the Georgia Tech spring football game?

andycapps

guys

guys

football is a thing that happens today

It's not a real CFB Thursday night without South Carolina playing a game. :)

Too many Gatas now. Come back next year after another losing season.

Limedust said:
If SEC-GAF needs any reading material, here are some well-written and detailed SEC team previews: LINK

That Georgia one is all kinds of wrong. We are expected to have strong special teams? Did they watch us last year? Our kicker is good, true, but we had some blocked punts, muffed catches on punts, our punt and kickoff return average sucked, etc. Richt brought in some coaches with more special team experience and that was a big focus this offseason, but I wouldn't say I expect a strong special teams (other than our kicker). I'm just hoping for special teams that won't lose us the game (ask Bama about that).

And our backup QB isn't going to be true freshman Jacob Park. Hard to tell now as Richt is being coy but it seems like Faton Bauta (a Tebow style QB, but not as good) is the scout team QB and redshirt freshman Brice Ramsey is the backup. In other words, looks like Ramsey is the guy until Jacob Eason gets here in 2016 (if he doesn't redshirt).

(THU) Texas A&M @ South Carolina by 13
(THU) Boise State @ Ole Miss by 6
(THU) Rutgers @ Washington State by 7
(FRI) Colorado State vs Colorado by 6
Penn State vs UCF by 7 (First step to Citronaut glory)
West Virginia vs Alabama by 28
California @ Northwestern by 4
Clemson @ Georgia by 7
Fresno State @ USC by 10
Florida State vs Oklahoma State by 17
Wisconsin vs LSU by 14
(MON) Miami @ Louisville by 7

mre

If SEC-GAF needs any reading material, here are some well-written and detailed SEC team previews: LINK
Good previews for the most part from what I skimmed (LSU, UT, AU and Bama). However, I don't understand why Bama's preview was posted on 8/8 without the benefit of observing fall camp. A lot of the info on us is outdated.

mre

Pick 'em:
(THU) Texas A&M @ South Carolina by 5
(THU) Boise State @ Ole Miss by 17
(THU) Rutgers @ Washington State by 4
(FRI) Colorado State vs Colorado by 14
Penn State vs UCF by 4
West Virginia vs Alabama by 10
California @ Northwestern by 10
Clemson @ Georgia by 7
Fresno State @ USC by 14
Florida State vs Oklahoma State by 4
Wisconsin vs LSU by 7
(MON) Miami @ Louisville by 4

-ACC: FSU
Coastal: VA Tech
Atlantic: FSU
-B1G: MSU
East: MSU
West: Wisconsin
-Big 12: OU
-American: UCF
-Pac 12: UCLA
North: U-Dub
South: UCLA
-SEC: USC
East: USC
West: Bama

Playoff Semis:
1: Sparty
2: Oklahoma
3: FSU
4: S-Car
Finals:
1: FSU
2: Sparty
Champion: Sparty. Because, why not?

Limedust

Good previews for the most part from what I skimmed (LSU, UT, AU and Bama). However, I don't understand why Bama's preview was posted on 8/8 without the benefit of observing fall camp. A lot of the info on us is outdated.

I think the editor might be saving that update for last. He posts periodic updates to the teams for spring (after signing day and practice) and fall.

Limedust

That Georgia one is all kinds of wrong. We are expected to have strong special teams? Did they watch us last year? Our kicker is good, true, but we had some blocked punts, muffed catches on punts, our punt and kickoff return average sucked, etc. Richt brought in some coaches with more special team experience and that was a big focus this offseason, but I wouldn't say I expect a strong special teams (other than our kicker). I'm just hoping for special teams that won't lose us the game (ask Bama about that).

And our backup QB isn't going to be true freshman Jacob Park. Hard to tell now as Richt is being coy but it seems like Faton Bauta (a Tebow style QB, but not as good) is the scout team QB and redshirt freshman Brice Ramsey is the backup. In other words, looks like Ramsey is the guy until Jacob Eason gets here in 2016 (if he doesn't redshirt).

If you have a talented punter/kicker, then everything else can be fixed in coaching/scheme rather quickly. If Richt brought in coaching help for ST, then I don't see why it would take years to see improvement.

After the disaster of an offseason, I'm looking forward to some more football.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

First game as a B1G member. Fucking pumped.

andycapps

If you have a talented punter/kicker, then everything else can be fixed in coaching/scheme rather quickly. If Richt brought in coaching help for ST, then I don't see why it would take years to see improvement.

I'm a pessimistic fan brought up under the tutelage of Larry Munson and Vince Dooley and Mark Richt. I worry about the opposing team's long snapper. That illustrates the extent of my skepticism and pessimism.

I do expect to see improvement this year, but I'm not expecting strong special teams. Same as I'm not expecting a stout defense, but I am expecting improvement. Change takes time.

pxleyes

Banned
Pick 'em:
(THU) Texas A&M @ South Carolina by 7
(THU) Boise State @ Ole Miss by 14
(FRI) Colorado State vs Colorado by 7
Penn State vs UCF by 4
West Virginia vs Alabama by 10
Clemson @ Georgia by 7
Fresno State @ USC by 10
Florida State vs Oklahoma State by 4 (Fuck the 'noles. Refuse to pick them this year)
Wisconsin vs LSU by 10

-ACC: FSU
Coastal: VT
Atlantic: FSU

-B1G: MSU
East: MSU
West: Wisconsin

-Big 12: Oklahoma

-American: UCF

-Pac 12: Oregon
North: Oregon
South: UCLA

-SEC: Bama
East: Florida
West: Bama

Playoff Semis:
1: Bama
2: MSU
3: FSU
4: Oklahoma
Finals:
1: Bama
2: MSU
Champion: MSU (no idea, fuck it all)

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Woooooooooooooooooo! Could barely sleep last night, Go Cougs! Beat Rutgers!

mre

Champion: MSU (no idea, fuck it all)
Yes. Join me, pxleyes. Join me on this Sparty death train. We shall ride it together to everlasting glory or eternal damnation in the history books of tomorrow.

Draxal

After the disaster of an offseason, I'm looking forward to some more football.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

First game as a B1G member. Fucking pumped.

MMHMM.

One reason I have hope this year is how much the 9.95's are shitting on the coaches that got fired last year. Apparently, they were really god awful.

MMHMM.

One reason I have hope this year is how much the 9.95's are shitting on the coaches that got fired last year. Apparently, they were really god awful.

I take it with a grain of salt.

The 9.95s were singing the praises of Coach Spence even though everyone should've known he was a god awful coach.

I'm also skeptical of Browning for the same reason. They both have had downward trajectory paths in their career. Though, to be fair, Browning is thought of more fondly at his previous stops than Spence ever was.

Draxal

I take it with a grain of salt.

The 9.95s were singing the praises of Coach Spence even though everyone should've known he was a god awful coach.

I'm also skeptical of Browning for the same reason.

The Rivals one wasn't, the main beat guy there Bobby ... really had an insanely low opinion on him.

I'm skeptical of Browning as well, but man the stuff they said about Wrobo was kinda eye-opening.

And yeah, I remember the stuff Clemson fans were saying about Rob Spence was extremely toxic.

edit.

They're hyping Kemoko Turay alot. Which would be great t have a dominant DE.

Garryk

(THU) Texas A&M @ South Carolina by 6
(THU) Boise State @ Ole Miss by 11
(THU) Rutgers @ Washington State by 9
(FRI) Colorado State vs Colorado by 6
Penn State vs UCF by 4
West Virginia vs Alabama by 18
Clemson @ Georgia by 7
Fresno State @ USC by 17
Florida State vs Oklahoma State by 14
Wisconsin vs LSU by 4
(MON) Miami @ Louisville by 6

ACC Foot...Basket... Footketball!

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...sketball_game_heres_a_way_to_secure_them.html

Want tickets to the Syracuse vs. Duke basketball game? Here's one way to secure them
------
Syracuse, N.Y. — The insane, insatiable demand for Duke basketball tickets in the Carrier Dome last season prompted Syracuse officials to capitalize on the interest.

The SU athletic department is offering today at 10 a.m. the chance for fans to secure decent seats to the Duke game, while simultaneously supporting a football program that currently lacks the panache of its basketball brethren.

SU will put on sale this morning a package that costs $250 and includes tickets to six games: Duke basketball and football, Louisville basketball and football and Florida State basketball and football.

"You can guarantee going to the Duke game on August 27," said Joe Giansante, the SU athletic department's chief spokesman.

Giansante said the package will provide "the best (basketball) tickets available on the 300 level," and said tickets on the 100 level and the 200 level — most likely in the corners — will also be available in the package deal.

SU sold out the Duke game last year on Dec. 5; Giansante said the school could have sold more than 50,000 tickets to that game.

Tickets were a hot commodity on the secondary market. Some SU fans, too, complained about the way tickets were released for the game. Season-ticket holders were offered the chance to buy tickets in bulk before the general public. Single-game tickets went fast; then SU released more tickets in better locations originally reserved for potential season-ticket buyers.

Giansante suggested any potential drama for the ticket buyer could be eliminated by purchasing the $250 package.

"People were buying Duke basketball tickets for $300 on the secondary market the week of the game last year," he said. "For $250, you could get a ticket to the Duke game, plus five other games."

Offering the ticket bundle enables SU to better control its ticket flow. It also allows the school to maximize the popularity of its basketball program, a perennial national attendance winner.

"We want people to buy basketball tickets from us. That's one piece of it," Giansante said. "We'd also like to use the incredible basketball fan support to give people a chance to experience our football team."

You can purchase the ticket package at the Dome box office, at SU's kiosk at Destiny USA, online at cuse.com or by calling 1-888-DOMETIX.

andycapps

Blasphemy. Rocky Top is in its own stratosphere of shittyness.

Listen for Sandstorm tonight during the game. It's horrible.

UGA apparently oversold their student tickets this year knowing that some students won't show. They told students to arrive early because if the stadium is at capacity, they won't be admitted, even if they have a ticket. Honestly, I have no problem with this. It'll get the students in early and their section will hopefully be full. That is, if they have enough cell coverage to post a selfie at the game, though AT&T put in a lot of work so if you have AT&T, you should have great coverage at UGA games now.

mre

Listen for Sandstorm tonight during the game. It's horrible.

UGA apparently oversold their student tickets this year knowing that some students won't show. They told students to arrive early because if the stadium is at capacity, they won't be admitted, even if they have a ticket. Honestly, I have no problem with this. It'll get the students in early and their section will hopefully be full. That is, if they have enough cell coverage to post a selfie at the game.
Dante wrote of your ilk. I believe your type hang out with Judas and Brutus.

Edit: hope they grant refunds to those students denied admission.

andycapps

Dante wrote of your ilk. I believe your type hang out with Judas and Brutus.

Edit: hope they grant refunds to those students denied admission.

No idea on that, but I just want to see the student section full.

impirius said:
I hope the Thursday openers continue after Spurrier hangs it up. It makes the offseason two days shorter!

I kid, but I do like having a decent game to watch on Thursdays. I just don't want my team to ever play a Thursday game.

Subitai

Now for some picks.

Just cause I have ridiculously busy and have no clue: home teams FTW! Mostly. And homish teams, those being the ones closest to the "neutral" site.

(THU) Texas A&M @ South Carolina by 4
(THU) Boise State @ Ole Miss by 4
(FRI) Colorado State vs Colorado by 4
Penn State vs UCF by 4
West Virginia vs Alabama by 17
California @ Northwestern by 4
Clemson @ Georgia by 4
Fresno State @ USC by 4
Florida State vs Oklahoma State by 4
Wisconsin vs LSU by 4

Sotha_Sil

I would love to see SCar destroy aTm and Boise upset Ole Miss tonight. Pretty confident about the first, and not so much by the second. Shame Kellen Moore and Petersen aren't still around.

Enfinit

Don't hate us cuz you ain't us!

I managed to snag my BFA at FSU in the Spring... however today marks nearly the conclusion of the first week of grad school for me. At UF.

I've been officially a Gator for four days and I feel dirtier than a New York hooker on New Year's Eve.

I'm fortunate enough to have the opportunity to teach a freshman-level undergraduate class, and I love seeing these Little Gatas and their eager, bright-eyed, and full-of-potential faces ready to take on the world.

But when they leave the classroom as time expires, I stand next to the door with a full grin on my face, whispering under my breath, ever so slightly, to every student that passes...

"go noles"

fuck the gators

Playoff Semis:
4: S-Car
Fuck yes. Looks like mre and I are copiloting the Cocks Train this year. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who will feel the yearly disappointment Big Spur has in store for us.

JCX

(THU) Texas A&M @ South Carolina by 9
(THU) Boise State @ Ole Miss by 4
(THU) Rutgers @ Washington State by 12
(FRI) Colorado State vs Colorado by 10
Penn State vs UCF by 8
West Virginia vs Alabama by 4
California @ Northwestern by 12
Clemson @ Georgia by 10
Fresno State @ USC by 12
Florida State vs Oklahoma State by 9
Wisconsin vs LSU by 11
(MON) Miami @ Louisville by 8

Is it too late to do the conference picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom