• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 1: Power 5 Conferences to UCF – “Stick to cooking”

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I hope the Thursday openers continue after Spurrier hangs it up. It makes the offseason two days shorter!

In other news... Navy will at least look sharp on Saturday. This is the best thing Under Armour has done by a mile.

Yeah Navy's uniforms are fucking sharp. Liked last year's helmet better, but I like the new jerseys a lot. Still probably the best uniform in 1-A ball, though.

navyunis2012two.jpg

Sotha_Sil

That was such an epic beatdown. That was perhaps the SEC-West's strongest year. 5 of 6 teams in the Top 15. Auburn beat Oregon. LSU, Bama, and Miss St blew out their bowl opponents (of course Arky had to embarrass us).

Even with 2 more losses than Mich St, I expected Bama to cruise to a victory in that game. I didn't think it would be that easy though.

edit... I love the different rank insignia on Navy's uniforms.

(THU) Texas A&M @ South Carolina by 9
(THU) Boise State @ Ole Miss by 8
(THU) Rutgers @ Washington State by 5
(FRI) Colorado State vs Colorado by 4
Penn State vs UCF by 6
West Virginia vs Alabama by 18
California @ Northwestern by 15
Clemson @ Georgia by 12
Fresno State @ USC by 25 Florida State vs Oklahoma State by 19
Wisconsin vs LSU by 5
(MON) Miami @ Louisville by 11

Will post conference champs later. Posting from phone

johnbone

I managed to snag my BFA at FSU in the Spring... however today marks nearly the conclusion of the first week of grad school for me. At UF.

I've been officially a Gator for four days and I feel dirtier than a New York hooker on New Year's Eve.

I'm fortunate enough to have the opportunity to teach a freshman-level undergraduate class, and I love seeing these Little Gatas and their eager, bright-eyed, and full-of-potential faces ready to take on the world.

But when they leave the classroom as time expires, I stand next to the door with a full grin on my face, whispering under my breath, ever so slightly, to every student that passes...

"go noles"

fuck the gators

Haha oh so you're THAT ta....always one of 'em!

I like you

AFTER THIS SEASON WHEN WE GO 15-0 THERE WILL BE AN INFLUX OF NEW RUTGERS FANS.

CAN YOU HANDLE THE HEAT CYAN AND CORNBALLER? NO?

STICK TO COOKING!

johnbone

I have a gift for all the Gata fans. I wish you a full season of this kind of thing happening.

It's the ol' block your own teammate to throw off the defense maneuver.....oldest trick in the book!

Sorry they don't have such intricate techniques up in Gawja!

Ganhyun

It's the ol' block your own teammate to throw off the defense maneuver.....oldest trick in the book!

Sorry they don't have such intricate techniques up in Gawja!

IT apparently doesn't work. Seems that you guys tried it against FSU and lost that game too.

So, how about you guys do that every game this season? :p

jakncoke

Banned
We need to start recruiting and get more non sec fans in this thread. I wonder if we did a census if it'd reach 50% sec fans.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
AFTER THIS SEASON WHEN WE GO 15-0 THERE WILL BE AN INFLUX OF NEW RUTGERS FANS.

CAN YOU HANDLE THE HEAT CYAN AND CORNBALLER? NO?

STICK TO COOKING!
Poor Stooge. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride when CFB mods get called out.

Westonian

GAF Pick'em Week 1 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(THU) Texas A&M @ South Carolina by 6
(THU) Boise State @ Ole Miss by 7
(THU) Rutgers @ Washington State by 4
Penn State vs UCF by 7
West Virginia vs Alabama by 17
California @ Northwestern by 4
Clemson @ Georgia by 10
Fresno State @ USC by 10
Florida State vs Oklahoma State by 13
Wisconsin vs LSU by 4
(MON) Miami @ Louisville by 6

I'm taking the omission of BYU @ UConn from the picks this week as a personal affront. Personal.

Draxal

GAF Pick'em Week 1 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(THU) Texas A&M @ South Carolina by 6
(THU) Boise State @ Ole Miss by 7
(THU) Rutgers @ Washington State by 4
Penn State vs UCF by 7
California @ Northwestern by 4
Clemson @ Georgia by 10
Fresno State @ USC by 10
Florida State vs Oklahoma State by 13
Wisconsin vs LSU by 4
(MON) Miami @ Louisville by 6

I'm taking the omission of BYU @ UConn from the picks this week as a personal affront. Personal.

UCF laughs at you scheduling a non power five school.

The Trogans' season is off to a rocky start.

USC was already having a bizarre week in light of the Josh Shaw ordeal. Now things have only gotten worse for the school, as senior running back Anthony Brown has quit the team and alleged that head coach Steve Sarkisian is a racist.

In an Instagram post Brown has since removed from his account, he wrote, "Sark treated me like a slave in his Office...Can't play for a racist MAN!!!!! #Fighton." The message was posted alongside an image that simply said, "Couldn't play for a racist man!!!!"

Having watched Sark at Washington, I can definitely say he's not racist. Some of his best players are black!

Draconian

(THU) Texas A&M @ South Carolina by 7
(THU) Boise State @ Ole Miss by 10
(THU) Rutgers @ Washington State by 7
(FRI) Colorado State vs Colorado by 3
Penn State vs UCF by 3
California @ Northwestern by 14
Clemson @ Georgia by 10
Fresno State @ USC by 11
Florida State vs Oklahoma State by 21
Wisconsin vs LSU by 4
(MON) Miami @ Louisville by 9

Draxal

You can watch the beginning of the Rutgers dynasty instead!

I mean you aren't rooting for Wazzu right?

Oh shit, that's RutgersAl he was responsible for this monstrosity.

2014 sees Rutgers Football with its deepest, most mature, and most talented roster ever. Combine that with an upgraded group of coaching assistants, and Rutgers should enjoy its finest season.

Key differences from 2013 include:

- Ralph Friedgen is the new offense coordinator and has the strongest resume of any Big Ten Offensive Coordinator, as he has a national championshp and a super bowl appearance to his credit

- Rutgers lists zero freshman starters and only has a handful of true freshman on the two deep. Last year Rutgers had to play a number of freshman due to injury and attrition.

- Seasoned veteran Offensive Line Coach Mitch Browning will help Rutgers OL play its best

- Rutgers offensive line returns intact from 2013

- Rutgers QB Gary Nova has thrown for more passing yards than any other returning Big Ten QB.

- Rutgers had the #4 rush defense in the country in 2013

- Thx to veteran coaching, Rutgers players are going to demonstrate better attention to detail than they ever have, which will maximize their effectiveness.

Through his career, Quarterback Gary Nova has thrown for 6,407 yards and 51 touchdown passes. His performances have been up and down. He's thrown game winning passes against Arkansas, SMU, and Temple, but struggled against Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF. According to Bobby Deren, During the offseason, Coach Friedgen corrected his mechanics, and he is now throwing the ball better than ever. I think Coach Fridge is also going to help him make better decisions and cut down on his mental mistakes. A good target for Gary Nova is for him to put up AJ McCarron Numbers. Last year, McCarron had 226 completions on 336 attempts, throwing for 3063 yards with 28 TDs and 7 interceptions. Similar numbers by Nova will at least get him to the New York Heisman ceremony, though he probably won't win. In any case, just getting to the Heisman ceremony will be huge for Nova and Rutgers.

Paul James emerged in 2013 as a difference maker and Rutgers go to runner. He was the nations leading rusher, till he was injured against Arkansas, and had to be put on the shelf for a while. Nevertheless, he did end up with 881 rushing yards on the season and averaged 4.8 ypc against Notre Dame in our bowl game. This year Paul James alone should break 1,000 yards and with Desmond Peoples, Robert Martin, Mike Burton and Josh Hicks, the group should break 2,000 yards rushing.

The wide receivers are led by junior Leonte Carroo, who has Heisman potential, if he can stay healthy. When separates Carroo above all others is that he is an all arounder. Not only does he have great hands, he can get deep quickly, and he is also an effective blocker in the running game, which was missed when he was injured. Carroo had game winning catches against Arkansas, SMU, and Temple. The last wr to go to the Heisman Ceremony in New York was Marquise Lee, who had 118 receptions for 1,721 yards. Carroo is capable of eclipsing that production. Off course it doesn't hurt that he is Gary Nova's favorite target. Carroo is complemented by All American Candidate tight end Tyler Kroft, who is Rutgers leading returning receiver. He goes 6-6, 240 lbs, and was named first team All American Conference last year. They are joined by Janarion Grant, a Sammy Watkins clone, as long as he can demonstrate to consistently catch the ball. With Janarion, the talent is there, but the open question is whether he can demonstrate the consistency needed to be great. He is the type of player who is capable of scoring from anywhere on the field. He had a 100 yard touchdown return against Fresno State and a 58 yard kickoff return for a td against Arkansas.

The group I'm most excited about is our offensive line, which could be the best in the country. According to Dan Duggan, new coach Mitch Browning noticed that they were playing too high last year, and has corrected that for this season. Last year, the group was up and down, as it was integrating three new starters. It turned in its best performance against Notre Dame, and helped Paul James to average 4.8 ypc. This year the group should be able to play with maximum effectiveness from Game 1 onwards. Keith Lumpkin is a 6'8" 320 lbs behemoth who moves like a tight end. He reminds me of former Miami Great Bryant McKinnie, and could be the best left tackle in the country. I hope to keep him for another two years, but wouldn't be surprised if he opts for the draft after this season. He is joined by left guard, Kaleb Johnson, who received a decent NFL draft grade, but opted to return to boost his draft stock. Johnson pulls and traps as well as any college guard. Center Betim Bujari is a Rimington Award Candidate for good reason. He's had a number of key blocks which sprung big plays, and should be playing Sundays next year, as long as he can stay healthy. Right Guard Chris Muller was up and down last season, as it was his first time starting. He is exceptionally strong, and should vie for All Conference honors this year. 5th year senior Right Tackle Taj Alexander rounds out the group. If he continues to get better, there's no reason why he can't be playing Sundays next year. I do want to mention JJ Denman and Dorian Miller, reserves with unlimited potential, who will shine, once given their opportunity.

This year, The Rutgers DL should be one of the best in the country. Led by All American Candidate Darius Hamilton, son of one of the greatest NY Giants Defensive Linemen Keith Hamilton, the line played well last year, and was a big reason why Rutgers was #4 against the run. Hamilton is joined by seniors David Milewski, Ken Kirksey, and Djwany Mera. Kirksey has been slowed by injury in previous seasons, but is now ready to shine. Milewski and Mera have gotten better every season, and are now ready to be exceptional. Reserves Sebastian Joseph, Darryl Stephenson, Julian Pinnix-Odrick, and Kemeko Turay will also probably see extensive action. Many are excited about Kemeko Turay, who some think has Jadeveon Clowney type potential. I'm ready to bestow the "Rutgers Sack Exchange" label on the Rutgers Defensive Line, once their performance warrants it.

I'm especially excited about the Rutgers LB corp, which will be among the best in the country. They are incredibly fast, strong, smart, and productive. WLB Steve Longa and SAM Quinton Gause have a great chance to be All Americans. They showed their ability against Notre Dame, registering 12 and 9 tackles, respectively. Kevin Snyder had 7 tackles. On the year, Longa had a ridiculous 123 tackles and Snyder had 96. Despite limited action Gause still notched 53 tackles. This year, given the Big Tens predilection for running the ball, all three could total more than 100 tackles.

There's nowhere to go but up, for Rutgers much maligned secondary, which notched the #120th ranked pass defense in 2013. The biggest reason for this less than stellar ranking, is that we played five freshman, who went through a huge learning curve. It seemed that one day they were at there senior prom and the next day they're facing first round picks Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater, and high round draft pick Derek Carr. The second biggest reason, which many overlooked, was conditioning. From the Houston game onwards, the freshman seemed a step slower, and I think that they simply weren't ready to play as much as they did. This resulted in missed assignments, poor tackling, and bad technique overall. I was happy to see however, that the secondary had its best game against Notre Dame, which helped keep Rutgers competitive till the very end. With a full year of S&C under its belt, I expect Rutgers secondary to make significant strides. We had the #39 pass defense in 2012, and there's NO reason why we can't have a Top 50 pass defense in 2013.

So there you have it. After inspecting Rutgers and other Big Ten Rosters, I'm projecting Rutgers to go 11-1, losing to Wisconsin. Rutgers competitive advantage lies in the maturity and experience of its offensive and defensive lines. Seasoned Juniors and Seniors of Rutgers, with NFL futures will be going against first time starters for many of our opponents, and that simply isn't a fair fight. I don't care how highly ranked the players for our opponents were as recruits. Rutgers 2 and 3 star recruits have been developed into 4 and 5 star college football players, and that's what matters most. Another important competitive advantage for Rutgers is our balanced offensive attack. We're going to throw for 3,000 yards and rush for 2,000 yards. Whereas, our opponents are mostly one dimensional offensively.

That's why I have Rutgers ranked #3 in the Country, #1 in the Big Ten.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Less than one hour till kick off!
7rur55Y.gif

Don't be afraid
ibtBKruI9Jo5nv.gif

And get ready for this type of thing
jadeveon-clowney-hit.gif

So I'm at cedar point today, saw a whole family wearing Gata stuff. 3 out of 4 we're wearing jorts.

Go Gata go

Edit: oh god, just realized the dad is wearing stretchy waist jorts

andycapps

Hell yeah, a feature on South Carolina football and Sandstorm. Great programming, SECN!

I'm not shocked, Buck. There's a reason why it's a stereotype.

Roundball news, but you'll see why I'm posting it here in a sec. Trayvon Reed was kicked off Maryland's team for arrest for theft/assaulting a police officer. Guess where he's headed? To Bruce Pearl and Auburn. Now he's part of the Auburn family/convicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom