• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 1: Power 5 Conferences to UCF – “Stick to cooking”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
This picture, lol. Charlie looks like a child!

BwPS5mnCIAEG-r_.jpg

I worry about your allegiance sometimes. You have spent too long in the den of iniquity known as Austin.

Meier

I worry about your allegiance sometimes. You have spent too long in the den of iniquity known as Austin.

Never! I love the Horns too but only at a fraction's worth compared to my Noles. The University is killing off the staff season ticket program next year anyway. :( Probably will still go to a few games a year when they're on sale.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Where is that? I've actually never heard of that place surprisingly. The only BBQ places I've been around to is Jim & Milt's (SO GOOD) and Up In Smoke.

That's how inter-state rivalries work.

It used to be a stand in the parking lot of a gas station on Pensacola and Ocala. Then he got a brick and mortar joint down Pensacola a ways. Then he got a dui and went bankrupt. I heard he opened another stand though. Not sure if it still around.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgQUuasAwuE&feature=youtu.be

Time to get hyped for Duke Football?

wut?

Expectations?

naw.

A back to back winning season? 3 bowl games in a row?

Let us pray

Football gods, hear my decree.
Bear your countenance on this team again
So it may thrive and compete.
We will cast down the false hoops god and its fickle ways.
Never again shall spherical ball and hoop take precedence over that which is played on grass
Let us take our rightful place as the Stanford of the east
We shall renovate a shrine worthy, a fitting place for you to dwell.
May the victory bell ringeth loud, announcing our manifest destiny to the world!!!!!

or..you know 8-4, 9-3, that would be cool too.

Miami Herald Sports @HeraldSports · 1h
Miami Herald won’t cover FIU football opener after credential for beat reporter is denied
http://hrld.us/1tijH6M

Apparently, FIU has beef with the one beat reporter who would actually cover the game. They allowed credentials for a photographer and a columnist, but not the actual reporter who covers FIU sports.

For the first time since FIU created a football team, the Miami Herald will not cover the Panthers’ home season opening game Saturday because the school has refused to provide a press credential to the newspaper’s beat reporter.

FIU athletics officials denied the Herald’s request for a game pass for reporter David J. Neal, who has been covering FIU sports since June, 2011. Passes were granted for a Herald columnist and photographer.

No explanation was given by FIU, but Neal’s access to FIU coaches and athletes had been dwindling for months, to the point where he was no longer permitted to attend football practice or conduct interviews. Last week, when Neal attempted to write a story on the FIU women’s soccer team, he was told no one was allowed to talk to him.

“It’s unprecedented for any local team to refuse to credential our beat reporter without reason,” Miami Herald Executive Editor Aminda Marqués Gonzalez said of the four pro and two college teams the Herald covers on a regular basis. “The team does not get to choose who covers the program.”

Sandra Gonzalez-Levy, FIU’s senior vice president for external relations, said it was unfortunate that the Herald would not staff FIU’s game against Bethune-Cookman University at FIU Stadium on campus.

“We’re very disappointed the Herald has decided on this course,” she said. “Credentials were given to other reporters. We regret that this is the Herald’s choice.”

The ban on Neal was imposed without an explanation from Pete Garcia, FIU’s athletic director and executive director of sports and entertainment. Garcia received an email Monday from Herald Managing Editor Rick Hirsch inquiring about “evidence of unprofessional treatment” of Neal. Previously, Herald Executive Sports Editor Jorge Rojas also sought an explanation for FIU’s actions, with no response from Garcia. On Wednesday, FIU denied the Herald’s request for Neal’s credential.

“We are the only major media that covers a wide spectrum of men and women FIU sports programs year-round, from baseball to basketball to football to volleyball and soccer,” Hirsch wrote. “As far as we can tell, David has done a diligent, thorough job of reporting on the Golden Panthers. Not all of the coverage is positive. Teams win and teams lose. Programs have successes and stumbles. But in our review of his work, we believe it stands up to scrutiny as fair and professional.”

Neal covered the Florida Panthers for 11 years and was one of the Herald’s Miami Dolphins beat writers for four years.

FIU is coming off a 1-11 season, Coach Ron Turner’s first. Turner replaced Mario Cristobal, who was fired by Garcia in 2012 after leading FIU to its first two bowl games in 2010 and 2011.

“FIU is an important part of our coverage and we hope to find a resolution,” Marqués Gonzalez said.

JCX

Rush home, forget the comcast password, reset the password, and now it's halftime. Not missing much, but at least I'm set for the rest of the season.

Tamanon

Banned
Went to my first Freeboot Fridays today at downtown Greenville for ECU. This weekend is a parent's weekend, so it was a little boring, but good opportunity to get sloshed and cheer on the dance squad. Dance Squad is where they send all the girls with butts, and cheerleaders are all the slim girls. I prefer Dance Squad!

GO PIRATES!

PURPLE!

GOLD!

PURPLE!

GOLD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom